Omaha's dining, arts and music scene

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Brad
City Council

Entertainment districts

Post by Brad »

Entertainment districts win approval

http://www.omaha.com/article/20120330/N ... n-approval
Paul Hammel WORLD-HERALD BUREAU wrote:LINCOLN — State lawmakers gave final approval Friday for bills that would allow "entertainment districts" near sports arenas and shopping malls and provide some incentives for movie making.

The entertainment district bill was sought primarily by developers seeking to build a multi-restaurant facility near Lincoln's new Haymarket Arena. Under the measure, patrons would be allowed to walk outside with a drink into a commons area and walk into neighboring taverns.

Lincoln Sen. Colby Coash said allowing entertainment districts would increase the economic benefit of the new arena and permit a festival-like atmosphere, similar to the Power and Light District in Kansas City.

The developer of an outlet mall near Cabela's in LaVista also testified in favor of the bill.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Great News!
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

This is great news! Now the Outlets at Southport can go through with their entertainment district, which hopefully means the project will move forward now.
MTO
City Council

Re: Official: Capitol District

Post by MTO »

Why does the entertainment distric liqueur license thing here have to be modeled after the one in Lincoln is Omaha that incompetent it can't figure it out on its own. How complicaed can it be :what:
15-17, 26, 32
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

MTO wrote:Why does the entertainment distric liqueur license thing here have to be modeled after the one in Lincoln is Omaha that incompetent it can't figure it out on its own. How complicaed can it be :what:
Given it's all based on state law why not naturally follow an already successful ordinance?
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

exactly so what difficult about that, Omaha has its own charter and so forth you can't just copy a different municipalities.
15-17, 26, 32
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

Per WOWT Channel 6 News:
Proponents, opponents address council on Omaha's proposed entertainment district
The city council is expected to vote on designating the capitol district an entertainment district on January 24th. Tuesday developer Jay Noddle said Aksarben Village will apply to become an entertainment district as well

http://www.wowt.com/content/news/Propon ... 42855.html

Aksarben an entertainment district????? This is getting to be more drama than an episode of Falcon Crest.
Attachments
FC.jpg
FC.jpg (23.66 KiB) Viewed 2689 times
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_corn_burner »

What is an Entertainment District?

Just this?
The proposed entertainment district would allow people to buy drinks at a bar or restaurant and carry them to a common area. Opponents are already lobbying against the changes.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

Lobbying against the changes? |expletive| why? If you don't like it, don't use it. God I hope the teetotalers burn on this one.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

RNcyanide wrote:Lobbying against the changes? |expletive| why? If you don't like it, don't use it. God I hope the teetotalers burn on this one.

They won't win.
15-17, 26, 32
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

RNcyanide wrote:Lobbying against the changes? |expletive| why? If you don't like it, don't use it. God I hope the teetotalers burn on this one.
This is Nebraska, you can't be surprised.
No posts exist for this topic
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

MadMartin8 wrote:
Goddammit, Nebraska.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

I would expect more of these special districts in the future such as Lot B and ConAgra...
15-17, 26, 32
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

Not DUIs? Just binge drinking? Okay..
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

MadMartin8 wrote:
If Whiteclay got to keep their liquor licenses then this is a shoe in. Marijuana in Nebraska? No. Heavy drinking in Nebraska? Yes, Sir.
buildomaha
Human Relations

Re: Entertainment districts

Post by buildomaha »

MTO wrote:I would expect more of these special districts in the future such as Lot B and ConAgra...
Do you know something about ConAgra's plans?! :o
#gohawks
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

buildomaha wrote:
MTO wrote:I would expect more of these special districts in the future such as Lot B and ConAgra...
Do you know something about ConAgra's plans?! :o
Not at all it just appears to be the trend and being Old Market adjacent.
15-17, 26, 32
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

choke wrote:
MadMartin8 wrote:
If Whiteclay got to keep their liquor licenses then this is a shoe in. Marijuana in Nebraska? No. Heavy drinking in Nebraska? Yes, Sir.
I totally agree that there's a double standard here. It's okay to exploit native people in the name of selling alcohol, but as soon as it's in their own neighborhood then they don't want it. Jerks
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

So the neighbors to The Capital District or Aksarben Village apposing these districts??
15-17, 26, 32
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

MTO wrote:So the neighbors to The Capital District or Aksarben Village apposing these districts??
I'm sure it's mainly moralistic dipwads who have nothing to do with it.

The Bride
swgiust
Library Board

Post by swgiust »

This really is a testament to our society. All they want is to be able blame somebody if something goes wrong. How about you blame the person that just drank 15 beers. Not the bar, not the district.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

daveoma wrote:
choke wrote:
MadMartin8 wrote:
I totally agree that there's a double standard here. It's okay to exploit native people in the name of selling alcohol, but as soon as it's in their own neighborhood then they don't want it. Jerks
How are these two things related at all again?
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

These open carry (ironic, huh?) areas have been around for decades in cities, including New Orleans and Key West. And isn't this allowed at P&L in KC and in the Haymarket area in Lincoln? I see no connection whatsoever to "binge drinking" or Whiteclay. It is designed to foster convenience for entertainment district users, and to therefor foster the success of these same districts.
Some people just don't like the concept of others enjoying themselves.
Another irony: if these districts start popping up across Omaha and elsewhere we might start nicknaming our cities "Carry Nation." :;):
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Roseann Moring ‏@roseannmoring wrote: Council passes entertainment districts 7-0, no discussion.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Brad wrote:
Roseann Moring ‏@roseannmoring wrote: Council passes entertainment districts 7-0, no discussion.
Good news, especially for the Capitol District.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Time to go get drunk at the Capitol District and then go belligerently yell at the hotels nearby for being "too suburban".
No posts exist for this topic
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

One upside of HDR not going downtown; Omaha might get a second entertainment district. I like the idea of one at Aksarben; it's a hoppin' place.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Ak Sar Been would be interesting. The bars are more spread out and you will have streets between them.

Greg
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Greg S wrote:Ak Sar Been would be interesting. The bars are more spread out and you will have streets between them.
At first, I believe, it will only be the alleyway between the HDR building and their garage.
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

Coyote wrote:
Greg S wrote:Ak Sar Been would be interesting. The bars are more spread out and you will have streets between them.
At first, I believe, it will only be the alleyway between the HDR building and their garage.
I believe you are correct on that. So, what would be interesting is if Noddle can draw a new-to-the-market restaurant/bar. Sweet Jesus, don't let there be a Wild Buffalo Wings announced.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Coyote wrote:
So it's a pretty confined area in Ak-Sar-Ben and not all of the bars will be included? Do you know which ones will be?

Greg
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Greg S wrote:
Coyote wrote:
So it's a pretty confined area in Ak-Sar-Ben and not all of the bars will be included? Do you know which ones will be?
No restaurants or bars have been announced for Lot 6 yet.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Thanks. Will be interesting to see if any of the existing ones move there. That will clearly be the best location for a bar there.

Greg
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

Greg S wrote:
Coyote wrote:

Greg
This thread was branched off another thread, but somewhere in the past 30 days I remember reading something where they talked about an entertainment district in front of the theater which would include DJ's, Ponzu and Dudley's.

I'm assuming there's no way an entertainment area could cross a street and would have to be fenced off, just like when you have a liquor license.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Omaha_corn_burner wrote:
Greg S wrote:
Coyote wrote:

Greg
This thread was branched off another thread, but somewhere in the past 30 days I remember reading something where they talked about an entertainment district in front of the theater which would include DJ's, Ponzu and Dudley's.

I'm assuming there's no way an entertainment area could cross a street and would have to be fenced off, just like when you have a liquor license.

The one in Lincoln crosses over a street
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

nebugeater wrote:
Omaha_corn_burner wrote:
Greg S wrote:
Coyote wrote:

Greg

It's a pretty low traffic street though, different than Aksarben.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Omaha_corn_burner wrote:This thread was branched off another thread, but somewhere in the past 30 days I remember reading something where they talked about an entertainment district in front of the theater which would include DJ's, Ponzu and Dudley's.
Depending on the lot east of Pac Life, there has been talk that this Plaza District may also include Pauli's
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Linkin5 wrote:
nebugeater wrote:
Omaha_corn_burner wrote:
Greg S wrote:
Coyote wrote:

Greg

It's a pretty low traffic street though, different than Aksarben.
Agree but that wasn't the question. It is also not that low of traffic flow at times.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

nebugeater wrote:
Omaha_corn_burner wrote: I'm assuming there's no way an entertainment area could cross a street and would have to be fenced off, just like when you have a liquor license.
Sorry, I rarely go down to Lincoln. Which area are you talking about?

EDIT : I assume you're talking about Canopy Street? http://journalstar.com/news/local/govt- ... b3962.html

So you can walk with an open alcoholic drink in your hand from Hiro over to The Railyard, by crossing the street while cars are driving by?