Sirius XM radio

General discussion on all things Omaha.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

nebugeater
City Council

Sirius XM radio

Post by nebugeater »

Does anyone have Sirius XM in their vehicle and drives around 180th & Q. I have it in my Truck and EVERY TIME I am near 180th & Q it drops out no matter what station I am listing to. It is an older 2005 OEM radio and I have just written it off and Oh Well. More specific it is about 179th as you get close to and enter into the Hy Vee Lot. There is no overhead obstructions. There are some cell towers near by.

I got a new to me 2013 car that has XM too and I have the 2 moth free trial activated. Does the same thing. That got me to believe it is not the older radio in my truck. Just wondering if anyone else has noticed anything.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Re: Sirius XM radio

Post by bigredmed »

There are a lot of places where the signal drops. Tall building to the south of you will do it.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

bigredmed wrote:There are a lot of places where the signal drops. Tall building to the south of you will do it.

I get that I know when I deal with drops from obstructions with the view of the Sat. That is not what is happening in this area
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

nebugeater wrote:Does anyone have Sirius XM in their vehicle and drives around 180th & Q. I have it in my Truck and EVERY TIME I am near 180th & Q it drops out no matter what station I am listing to. It is an older 2005 OEM radio and I have just written it off and Oh Well. More specific it is about 179th as you get close to and enter into the Hy Vee Lot. There is no overhead obstructions. There are some cell towers near by.

I got a new to me 2013 car that has XM too and I have the 2 moth free trial activated. Does the same thing. That got me to believe it is not the older radio in my truck. Just wondering if anyone else has noticed anything.

My father, when he lived in Omaha, had the same issue in that area. Strange.
No posts exist for this topic
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

I'm at 180th and Q at least once a week and I've never noticed XM dropping out there.

The one place I do notice it drop is on Stony Brook between Hy-Vee and 156th.
zippy
Home Owners Association

Post by zippy »

Not sure if this is relevant, but both of those locations are near Millard high schools.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

Is your receiver being jammed by harmful interference from some microwave transmitter in the schools?
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

zippy wrote:Not sure if this is relevant, but both of those locations are near Millard high schools.
And HyVee's.
No posts exist for this topic
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Good Points.

It starts to drop as I get to the 180th & Q intersection when traveling East. If I pull into the Hyvee lot and get close to the store it seems to cut in and out. As I continue to go East down Q it lasts for about .75 to 1 block
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

I know at some level it is crazy to pay for this service but I still can justify it as I get the streaming service too.

So for those of you that do pay for Sat radio who pays the going rate and who calls in at renewal and plays CSR rolete to get a better deal?
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

I had a trial when I got my new truck. I didn't really care for it. They really tried to get me to renew at the reduced rate. But I just like Pandora One better. I can customize my stations to my liking. And the Thumbprint station offers a lot of variety.
lisanstan
Library Board

Post by lisanstan »

I have some new dead spots over in CB around Sapp Bros. It started a few months ago. I renegotiate in April and I'm going to insist that they add the streaming service to my subscription at no additional cost. I lose the signal in my car on about 1/2 my commute currently and it's just not worth the price if I can't listen at home.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

lisanstan wrote:I have some new dead spots over in CB around Sapp Bros. It started a few months ago. I renegotiate in April and I'm going to insist that they add the streaming service to my subscription at no additional cost. I lose the signal in my car on about 1/2 my commute currently and it's just not worth the price if I can't listen at home.
Mine works fine all over Council Bluffs. Amazingly it works most of the time in the Ameristar garage. I've never had any problems on South 24th.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

lisanstan wrote:I have some new dead spots over in CB around Sapp Bros. It started a few months ago. I renegotiate in April and I'm going to insist that they add the streaming service to my subscription at no additional cost. I lose the signal in my car on about 1/2 my commute currently and it's just not worth the price if I can't listen at home.

I just renewed. As a point of reference I was able to get all access for $129 for 12 months. All access, if you are not aware, includes every XM sat channel and the streaming service. IF you are paying asking price and wanting them to just add streaming for that price you can do much better. I was on the phone for 11 min total to get that and just started by saying I wanted to cancel unless they could do much better for a 12 month deal than what they showed on their web site for current pricing.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

HR Paperstacks wrote:I had a trial when I got my new truck. I didn't really care for it. They really tried to get me to renew at the reduced rate. But I just like Pandora One better. I can customize my stations to my liking. And the Thumbprint station offers a lot of variety.

It is not worth it at the advertised price. I do like it for the ML Baseball coverage of every game and if I stream it I can get every home broadcast team. Get all the home team broadcasts over the Sat. For the discounted $ I seem to be able to get every year except last year when I forgot to call I can make it work.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

I appreciate satellite radio and streaming services in the morning when most of the FM terrestrial radio stations in South Central NE are simulcasting Todd & Tyler or playing country music.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

jessep28 wrote:I appreciate satellite radio and streaming services in the morning when most of the FM terrestrial radio stations in South Central NE are simulcasting Todd & Tyler or playing country music.

I listen to a lot of types of music including country so I am not on the same place there as you are.

As for T&T I haven't listened to them on a daily bases for a LONG time. Every time I give them a shot and listen for an hour or so I am convinced I have already heard that show about 15 years ago. There is nothing fresh or new that they do, at least from my sampling.
lisanstan
Library Board

Post by lisanstan »

I'm paying less than $100/year. I will not pay full price. Our current car uses XM and it has the worst reception. When we had it in our car with Sirius we didn't have the dead spots like XM. XM obviously got the |expletive| satellites.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

So SiriusXM buys Pandora for $3.5 billion. Wounder that that will do to either service in the future?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/20 ... 408114002/
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

I am a paid subscriber to both. Maybe I will get some sort of a discount. lol
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

nativeomahan wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:43 am I am a paid subscriber to both. Maybe I will get some sort of a discount. lol
Let us know how that works out!