Capital city news and discussion.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

CapitalGuy
Human Relations

City Centre (Journal-Star Building)

Post by CapitalGuy »

This could get interesting....

Journal-Star sells 926 P Street to Developer
The downtown block that has served Lincoln its daily news for 135 years could soon offer the city something new, if a redevelopment plan in the key corridor between downtown and the expanding Haymarket goes through.

The Lincoln Journal Star has agreed to sell the newspaper's building and property at 926 P St. to developers, said publisher Ava Thomas.

The newspaper itself is not for sale, and would continue publishing from new offices.
It's not the first time interested buyers have made pitches to the paper, she said. The Journal Star has fielded offers in the past four to five years for its property, identified in the city's master plan as an important link in continuing to develop P and Q streets as retail corridors.
Coyote
City Council

Re: Journal-Star Building

Post by Coyote »

It was only a matter of time when this would happen. They must have found someone who had a great vision for that spot!
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (71.45 KiB) Viewed 6269 times
bmt
Home Owners Association

Post by bmt »

Another development that will draw away businesses from downtown Omaha.... :grr:

(sarcasm)

Joking aside, this is a great location right between the Haymarket and the rest of downtown so it will be interesting to see what is done here. I wonder if a developer would be able to strike a deal with USPS to move at some point too.
Erik
Parks & Recreation

Post by Erik »

This is devastating news. This was our only chance for a highrise in downtown Omaha.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

I would imagine another big student housing project. Maybe even one that adds to the skyline a bit.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

iamjacobm wrote:I would imagine another big student housing project. Maybe even one that adds to the skyline a bit.
I would bet big money on this. As far as skyline changer, that would also be nice. :shock:
CapitalGuy
Human Relations

Post by CapitalGuy »

I wonder if the unnamed developed will also be purchasing the City Bank & Trust branch on the NW corner of 10th and P? That would give a little more room and provide 10th Street frontage.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

iamjacobm wrote:I would imagine another big student housing project. Maybe even one that adds to the skyline a bit.
Not very hard to impact the Lincoln skyline, but I would suspect it'll follow the size and height of the other buildings in the area (if I had to place a bet).
No posts exist for this topic
Trips
Library Board

Post by Trips »

Linkin5 wrote:
I would bet big money on this. As far as skyline changer, that would also be nice. :shock:
I will be happy to take your money on this one. With all of the new student housing in the last 5 years a lot of the building are only 50-60% full. On top of that students are still living away from campus as you can get a good 3 bedroom place for $850 per month vs $2,100 for the new close apartments. That is a lot of beer money for a college kid.

For example the new Latitude Apartments (199 units with 573 beds) currently has 63 units available and 191+ beds according to ForRent.com
Coyote
City Council

Re: City Centre (Journal-Star Building)

Post by Coyote »

$90 million mixed-use project planned for Journal Star site
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (128.31 KiB) Viewed 5853 times
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Looks awesome! Love the 6-15 floor infill that Lincoln keeps getting.
PotatoeEatsFish
Human Relations

Post by PotatoeEatsFish »

iamjacobm wrote:Looks awesome! Love the 6-15 floor infill that Lincoln keeps getting.
When will Omaha?
#SaveTheUglyGrainSilos2024
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

PotatoeEatsFish wrote:
iamjacobm wrote:Looks awesome! Love the 6-15 floor infill that Lincoln keeps getting.
When will Omaha?

Omaha has for the past 10 years.
PotatoeEatsFish
Human Relations

Post by PotatoeEatsFish »

MadMartin8 wrote:
PotatoeEatsFish wrote:
When will Omaha?

We have 3-5 story infill, don't fool yourself.
#SaveTheUglyGrainSilos2024
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

PotatoeEatsFish wrote:
MadMartin8 wrote:
PotatoeEatsFish wrote:
When will Omaha?

I suspect you're very young Potato.. I suggest spending time reviewing development threads on this forum for the past 10-12 years.. this will reveal MadMartin's comment to be accurate..

Anywho, great looking development for Lincoln :thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:
PotatoeEatsFish wrote:
MadMartin8 wrote:
PotatoeEatsFish wrote:
When will Omaha?

I suspect you're very young Potato.. I suggest spending time reviewing development threads on this forum for the past 10-12 years.. this will reveal MadMartin's comment to be accurate..

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Agreed. For example, the Capitol District development would qualify as infill, would it not?
It would be nice if there were more of those...I'll give eem that.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:
PotatoeEatsFish wrote:
MadMartin8 wrote:
PotatoeEatsFish wrote:
When will Omaha?

Ciao..LiO...Peace

Thanks Cowboy, my brain was about to explode.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

MadMartin8 wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:
PotatoeEatsFish wrote:
MadMartin8 wrote:
PotatoeEatsFish wrote:
When will Omaha?

Ciao..LiO...Peace

Thanks Cowboy, my brain was about to explode.
LOL.. You're welcome :thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

GetUrban wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:
PotatoeEatsFish wrote:
MadMartin8 wrote:
PotatoeEatsFish wrote:
When will Omaha?

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Agreed. For example, the Capitol District development would qualify as infill, would it not?
It would be nice if there were more of those...I'll give eem that.
Indeed. One of several, including Midtown Crossing etc.. We'll never tire of wanting more though (for both Omaha AND Lincoln) :) ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Looks really nice, not sure why they used the word "centre" though.
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

I'm with potato on this one. I get that Omaha has had lots of good infill projects (especially the conversion of old office buildings to residential), but a 10-15 storey project has not materialized except for the capitol district. I'm not saying there hasn't been tremendous progress, there obviously has, but it would be nice to have a couple more 10-15 storey modern mixed use developments like this in downtown Omaha. The question is, why is it that Lincoln's brand new downtown mixed use projects are higher than 5 storeys and Omaha's are stuck at nearly 5? Is there more confidence in Lincoln's downtown development than Omaha's?
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Every project gets turned into the Omaha vs. Lincoln thread...

And I still get sucked in.

As far as I remember Lincoln has 2 double digit story buildings go up in their DT in the past 10 years, Parkhaus and 50/50 with this and another in proposal stage? Omaha has had Hyatt Place and now 2 of them in the Capitol District. Not to mention out of DT the BCBS building and TD Ameritrade and Cancer Center and soon to be HDR.

Lincoln gets the benefit of a major university with ~25K students right next to their DT, universities have been really hot investment centers recently.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Linkin5 wrote:Looks really nice, not sure why they used the word "centre" though.

Bringing this topic out of the height obsessed talk...

"Centre" is still somehow the trendy thing to do. Calling it "City Centre" is pretty lazy though. I also wonder why this building costs 90 million to make? Does that seem out of the ordinary expensive to anyone else for the size?
CapitalGuy
Human Relations

Post by CapitalGuy »

I am going to reluctantly jump into this to defend the Potato poster because I think he has a valid point, it just wasn't made clearly. Iam referenced it in his post. Aside from Capitol District, there really has not been infill in DT Omaha that has exceeded the 6 story range. There has been other sorts of double digit construction in Aksarben, UNMC and even Old Mill (TD Ameritrade). However, most of the residential infill in DT and midtown has been in the 6 story and less range. This observation was actually made by Midtown 2050 so lets not jump all over Potatohead. In the last 6 months, Lincoln has had two mixed use proposals for double digit structures a block apart from one another. Both the Lincoln developments have involved demolishing lower density uses for higher density uses (not developing open lots or parking lots). I think Potato raises a valid point that, as of yet, this isn't happening in Omaha and especially when considering that Omaha is 3 times the size of Lincoln.
CapitalGuy
Human Relations

Post by CapitalGuy »

Developer gives more details on City Centre
Newman unveiled more detailed plans and new architectural drawings of the City Centre building, which will include first-floor retail, two stories of office space, six floors of apartments and a 10th level of indoor and outdoor amenities.
About $78.5 million in private money and an estimated $13.5 million in tax increment financing will be used on the project, said Mayor Chris Beutler.

It is the largest private investment in a single building in the city's history, said David Landis, Urban Development Department director.
CapitalGuy
Human Relations

Post by CapitalGuy »

NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

I just read the article. Sounds like a great development.

I also read the comments. As usual the whiners are the first to arrive at the party. I love the one about traffic. Lincoln has and is getting some outstanding development downtown, with PBA, Haymarket, general downtown growth, suburban growth.... It's amazing and we should all celebrate the many successes. Well, most of us. The teenie minority I assume would prefer the Lincoln that I knew from 1976-1980 when I went to UNL. A sleepy little college town with next to nothing going on. Then again, traffic was manageable.

Whatever. Keep it up Lincoln!
buildomaha
Human Relations

Post by buildomaha »

It only helps the State if the cities keep going. The fact that we're having some of the best growth between the two main cities in a while is a good sign. Now all we need are some more/ better higher education opportunities so that we have well educated, forward thinking minds bringing great ideas to the state.
#gohawks
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Love the new rendering.

Doctor Fate
Human Relations

Post by Doctor Fate »

I was told by a city councilman that the Journal Star will move out of their building "very soon" and that demolition and construction for City Centre will begin right after.
Doctor Fate
Human Relations

Post by Doctor Fate »

Doctor Fate
Human Relations

Post by Doctor Fate »

Slight set back. Sounds like project will most likely still go through.
http://journalstar.com/business/local/j ... 583b1.html
CapitalGuy
Human Relations

Post by CapitalGuy »

13 Story Apartment Tower Proposed

Looks like a possible student housing project. My guess is it is about 150' tall. Two residential high rises will be under construction within 3 blocks. The skyline is a changin'.
Doctor Fate
Human Relations

Post by Doctor Fate »

CapitalGuy wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:24 pm 13 Story Apartment Tower Proposed

Looks like a possible student housing project. My guess is it is about 150' tall. Two residential high rises will be under construction within 3 blocks. The skyline is a changin'.
That will be a great addition to that part of downtown. I think in the city's master plan, they wanted P St to become a retail hotspot and these residential towers will really help activate that area.

The article also mentions a 7 story apartment building and townhomes for the block between 9th and 10th, and M and L streets. That is another area that could really use redevelopment so hopefully this project goes through too.
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

Looking forward to those renderings.