Top Golf Omaha (Westroads Area)

Omaha's dining, arts and music scene

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Cooters
New to the Neighborhood

Re: Top Golf Omaha

Post by Cooters »

Linkin5 wrote:So people pay a bunch of money to hit a ball off of a decked building? This doesn't sound like a long term business model.
Doesn't appear that you looked into what TopGolf is.
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_corn_burner »

Cooters wrote:
Linkin5 wrote:So people pay a bunch of money to hit a ball off of a decked building? This doesn't sound like a long term business model.
$40 per hour on the weekends. It doesn't seem too expensive. Of course if they charge per hour, I'm going to be hitting a lot more balls then I would normally hit at a driving range.
JDJase
Home Owners Association

Post by JDJase »

Omaha_corn_burner wrote:
Cooters wrote:
$40 per hour on the weekends. It doesn't seem too expensive. Of course if they charge per hour, I'm going to be hitting a lot more balls then I would normally hit at a driving range.
I've always found it to be decently priced. The one I usually go to (Gilbert AZ) is same price every day but broken down by time of day: $25/hr before noon, $35/hr 12-5, and $45/hr after 5. That hour price is also per bay, not per person, and each bay takes up to 6 people. So split evenly that's pretty cheap. Personally I also think the food they serve is very good and eat way more than I intend.

While normally I always have a preference for locating things downtown over West Omaha, I do kinda feel like this is something that would do better in the suburbs. As for "long term business model" the company has been around since 2000 so they can't be doing too bad.
OmahaOmaha
Home Owners Association

Post by OmahaOmaha »

There's no way Top Golf would survive downtown. These places are basically their own billboard. They need to be located next to interstate highways or an extremely high traffic street because these places need to be seen by thousands of people passing by every day to keep drawing customers. If it was located down by the ballpark, there wouldn't be much visibility. After the newness wears off, the place would soon be forgotten.

Post by Guest »

OmahaOmaha wrote:There's no way Top Golf would survive downtown. These places are basically their own billboard. They need to be located next to interstate highways or an extremely high traffic street because these places need to be seen by thousands of people passing by every day to keep drawing customers. If it was located down by the ballpark, there wouldn't be much visibility. After the newness wears off, the place would soon be forgotten.
Gretna then?
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Nothing really new:

Topgolf may build indoor golf range in Omaha
The Dallas-based company wouldn’t provide further details, but Topgolf spokeswoman Morgan Wallace said the firm is “actively looking right now” in the area.

Topgolf “usually builds on 10 to 12 acres, but it all depends,” Wallace said.

Last month, Topgolf announced that it would begin construction of a 53,000-square-foot complex in Huntsville, Alabama. It’s the first venue that is smaller than the company’s typical 65,000-square-foot venue, Wallace said.

It’s part of the company’s plan to scout new locations in smaller and mid-size cities.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Trenton Magid said that the rumored location is the Westroads Auto Mall area.
OmahaOmaha
Home Owners Association

Post by OmahaOmaha »

Coyote wrote:Trenton Magid said that the rumored location is the Westroads Auto Mall area.
Westrooads Auto Mall area makes the bestt sense with visibility from Dodge and 680.
buildomaha
Human Relations

Post by buildomaha »

They must have some big bucks then because H&H just bought that luxury dealership. Would they be willing to sell off the land that quickly or were they just buying off competition?
#gohawks
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

They are relocating some of the dealerships to the area behind the Nebraska Realty office building on 168th and Dodge and others to the site being graded at 370 and highway 50.
MKMScat20
New to the Neighborhood

Post by MKMScat20 »

To me it would make more sense along Dodge out between 180th-204th. Seems like it would be easier, and less time consuming build without having to demolish car dealerships.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

MKMScat20 wrote:To me it would make more sense along Dodge out between 180th-204th. Seems like it would be easier, and less time consuming build without having to demolish car dealerships.
It appears that car dealerships are moving either west to 168th & Dodge or 370 and I-80.
I saw that SE and SW 192nd & Dodge has a replat out, so I doubt any dealerships are going there...
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

15-17, 26, 32
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

Its golfing and drinking with the added plus of food and not walking. Given the traditional shape of the average joe golfer and I'd say its pretty dang solid.
Dundeemaha
Human Relations

Post by Dundeemaha »

Louie wrote:
Its golfing and drinking with the added plus of food and not walking. Given the traditional shape of the average joe golfer and I'd say its pretty dang solid.
It looks like a combination of bowling and golfing. I like both so it seems like a good idea to me.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Louie wrote:
LOL true...
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

Linkin5 wrote:
Louie wrote:
LOL true...
Isn't this the standard arrangement in Asia? I have seen video of tiered golf driving areas in Japan.
Cooters
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Cooters »

Dundeemaha wrote:
Louie wrote:
It looks like a combination of bowling and golfing. I like both so it seems like a good idea to me.
It'd be worth doubting it if this was literally just a driving range. We have plenty of driving ranges. All intended as working on your game. This is about the game modes, alcohol, and food. Certainly you can show up and not play the games, but seeing as that it creates competition at the range, you can work on your game and have a score tracked.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Dundeemaha wrote:
Louie wrote:

I actually prefer it to traditional golfing. I go to the one in KC (Overland Park off 435). The one near the strip in Vegas is awesome with the view.

Greg
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

This is before the planning board for SW of 102nd and Nicholas.
Approval of a Large Project Special Use Permit in a GC District (pending), with a waiver of Section 55-406 Height (170 feet)
Brad
City Council

Re: Top Golf Omaha (Westroads Area)

Post by Brad »

Topgolf indoor driving range is coming to Omaha

http://www.omaha.com/news/metro/topgolf ... cd6d3.html
By Christopher Burbach / World-Herald staff writer wrote:A Topgolf entertainment center is coming to Omaha.

Investors have plans teed up to build one of the popular indoor/outdoor driving range complexes near Westroads Mall, on land currently occupied by car dealerships.

“We hope to break ground in late 2018 and deliver the project sometime in 2019,” said Drew Snyder, managing partner of Westroads Investors LLC.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

Brad wrote:Topgolf indoor driving range is coming to Omaha

By Christopher Burbach / World-Herald staff writer wrote:A Topgolf entertainment center is coming to Omaha.

Investors have plans teed up to build one of the popular indoor/outdoor driving range complexes near Westroads Mall, on land currently occupied by car dealerships.

“We hope to break ground in late 2018 and deliver the project sometime in 2019,” said Drew Snyder, managing partner of Westroads Investors LLC.
I happen to go past the one in Tampa this past weekend it will easily fit in that location and pretty good too.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (152.87 KiB) Viewed 4938 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (193.87 KiB) Viewed 4938 times
OverlookedFarm
Home Owners Association

Post by OverlookedFarm »

Uffda wrote:
Brad wrote:Topgolf indoor driving range is coming to Omaha

I happen to go past the one in Tampa this past weekend it will easily fit in that location and pretty good too.
I played at the tampa tg.

It was a blast. Think dave and busters meets nightclub, meets tanners, meet cosmic bowling.

Oh, and i see the want to collect occupation tax for thier for profit ventures. Typical.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Opened up the door to allow developers to use it. The positive with occupation taxes are that they are a use tax so if you don't want to pay it you don't have to.
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

Post by GrandpaaSmucker »

iamjacobm wrote:Opened up the door to allow developers to use it. The positive with occupation taxes are that they are a use tax so if you don't want to pay it you don't have to.
First they stick it to the restaurants and their patrons for a bogus baseball park down town. Now they are going to stick it to the restaurants around Westroads. It will never stop. Once you give the leeches and moochers and scamers an inch they want a yard. Someday we will all be paying twice what we should to eat out. Where does it stop? Screw that golf course if they need hand outs then we don't need them. There is NOTHING positive about taking from others.

Oh and if we don't like it we can go on a diet or eat at home huh. :evil: Where do they get off making their financial problems the restaurants? Its communism.
debradomayer
Library Board

Post by debradomayer »

GrandpaaSmucker wrote:
iamjacobm wrote:Opened up the door to allow developers to use it. The positive with occupation taxes are that they are a use tax so if you don't want to pay it you don't have to.
First they stick it to the restaurants and their patrons for a bogus baseball park down town. Now they are going to stick it to the restaurants around Westroads. It will never stop. Once you give the leeches and moochers and scamers an inch they want a yard. Someday we will all be paying twice what we should to eat out. Where does it stop? Screw that gold course if they need hand outs then we don't need them. There is NOTHING positive about taking from others.

Oh and if we don't like it we can go on a diet or eat at home huh. :evil: Where do they get off making their financial problems the restaurants? Its communism.
Just to clarify your point, the restaurant tax was implemented to help offset the multi-million dollar deficit in the fire & police pension fund. Which, if you want to blame someone there was a certain mayor for whom we have a street near that ballpark named after, who made a deal with the unions to bail out the city which was having financial problems at the time. It was all about the bond ratings. I'm sure it was more complicated than that, but that's the Reader's Digest version.
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

The fundamental problem with an occupation tax district is that it won't affect just the people using the golf place but all the people using the businesses in the district. Depending on the borders it could be the whole Westroads.

They can't run this business with their own revenue. They want to tax people so they can be profitable. Got to say this doesn't pass the smell test to me.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

The only initial business 'in the district' will be TopGolf itself. Any new business which chooses to go into the designated area (between 680 and 102nd Street), would knowingly be doing so with the understanding that they we would be subject to the occupation tax as well.

We don't even know how much of 'the district' would be left for other retail/restaurants.

In any case, as was said... if you don't like it, it's as simple as not patronizing the business(es).
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

Stargazer wrote:it's as simple as not patronizing the business(es).
If only it was that simple. If we don't like what we see going on there then we should just look the other way and mind our own business and everything will be just hunky dory. Sorry I forgot we were not supposed to expect a business to pay its own way without having to cook up tax schemes we dont need.

I wonder if you get a bunch of old farts at a driving range hitting as many balls as fast as they can to get their perceived moneys worth out of the $40hr fee......well I wonder if that might be a boon to the Medical Industry. Of course it would :lafcry: :lafcry: Many of those old fools are going to end up in the Chiropractors office or getting rotator cuff surgery or back surgery or something.......oh brother.
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

Stargazer wrote:The only initial business 'in the district' will be TopGolf itself. Any new business which chooses to go into the designated area (between 680 and 102nd Street), would knowingly be doing so with the understanding that they we would be subject to the occupation tax as well.

We don't even know how much of 'the district' would be left for other retail/restaurants.

In any case, as was said... if you don't like it, it's as simple as not patronizing the business(es).
Right now there are other businesses in the district between 102 and 680 (fitness and athletic training facility, and a couple of offices. Still doesn't pass the smell test. Seems like a business whose model is not going to work and they want the government to give them a bigger revenue stream.

The other thing about this, is that if we keep letting these occur, pretty soon we will have one in the Old Mill and then one in Millard, and then one in NW Omaha, and then one in all of Omaha east of 60th, and then one in the rest of Omaha. Taxes never stop and they rarely go down. Consider the example of the Wheel tax. Put in as a temp fix. Consider the example of the restaurant tax, another "temporary fix".
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

The property on which the former Westroads club was located (where these businesses you refer to can be found) would not be included. No existing businesses are going to be subject to this tax.

Again, object to the tax, don't patronize the business. It really is that simple.

By the way, be sure to avoid Nebraska Crossing at all costs, if you object to these types of taxes... not to speak of Cabela's in La Vista on the sales tax credit side. It's called economic development. Whether it be a private or public development, some municipalities recognize the benefit in subsidizing projects. 'ole gramps can whine as usual, many in this city recognize TopGolf is a venture worth pursuing, and incentivizing.

I'm sure Gretna has no complaints with their investment (La Vista on the other hand, not sure if they still owe the state sales tax money or not... but hopefully they won't lose their store).
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Topgolf's 'enhanced employment district' status means diners will pay total of 11.55 percent tax at complex
Diners at the planned Topgolf development in west Omaha will pay the highest tax rate in the metro area for a meal.

The Omaha City Council on Tuesday voted 5-2 to make the Topgolf project the city’s second “enhanced employment district.”

The designation will allow the entertainment complex to charge a 1.75 percent tax on food and retail items within the 14-acre district.

That will be on top of the 7 percent local and state sales tax and Omaha’s 2.5 percent restaurant tax.

The city’s restaurant tax and the new tax are both also subject to sales tax, meaning diners at the development will pay a total of 11.55 percent tax.

Topgolf is expected to create 350 jobs, which will be a mix of full time and part time. The project will support another 270 jobs during construction.

The district also is set to include two restaurants. Developers expect them to be comparable in quality to the nearby Fleming’s Steakhouse and The Cheesecake Factory.
Renderings:

Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

11.55% tax, are these people serious? I will most likely never spend a dime in this district out of principle and I’m usually not that type of person but enough with carrying the cost to the customers in order to build these developments.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

The other info the article mentioned:
Revenue from the occupation tax will go toward public improvements such as site preparation and street work at the project. It’s scheduled to end in 20 years or when $5 million is collected, whichever comes first.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

Keep in mind that you'd be hard-pressed to find a business that doesn't pass their cost of doing business, including rent and one-time infrastructure/facility costs, on to their customers in one way or another. At least this way you know what percentage of what you pay goes towards infrastructure rather than into someone's pocket. If you don't like paying the extra 1.75% tax, don't go there, as others have said.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

GetUrban wrote: If you don't like paying the extra 1.75% tax, don't go there, as others have said.
Mayor Stothert was reported to have said that. For the record the Mayors word on taxes is historically deceptive manipulative and flat out dishonest. Mayor Stothert got herself into office by promising to end the Restaurant Tax and has never made any attempt to end it. The fact of the matter is she has no intention of ending the Restaurant Tax ever. Now the mayor says that after they make 5 million they will end this new tax. Its all a bunch of political fast talking and B.S. This new tax will never end. No taxes ever ends. The mayor lied about taxes to get elected and lied about taxes to get re-elected we don't need any more reasons to be suspicious of her now. :hammer:
debradomayer
Library Board

Post by debradomayer »

GrandpaaSmucker wrote:
GetUrban wrote: If you don't like paying the extra 1.75% tax, don't go there, as others have said.
Mayor Stothert was reported to have said that. For the record the Mayors word on taxes is historically deceptive manipulative and flat out dishonest. Mayor Stothert got herself into office by promising to end the Restaurant Tax and has never made any attempt to end it. The fact of the matter is she has no intention of ending the Restaurant Tax ever. Now the mayor says that after they make 5 million they will end this new tax. Its all a bunch of political fast talking and B.S. This new tax will never end. No taxes ever ends. The mayor lied about taxes to get elected and lied about taxes to get re-elected we don't need any more reasons to be suspicious of her now. :hammer:
I may be in the minority, but I don't begrudge the restaurant tax. First Responders deserve to have a good pension. It's less than $1.00, in most cases. It's not that big a deal. And the new tax for TopGolf is to sunset in 20 years. Written into the "agreement"
buildomaha
Human Relations

Post by buildomaha »

debradomayer wrote:
GrandpaaSmucker wrote:
I may be in the minority, but I don't begrudge the restaurant tax. First Responders deserve to have a good pension. It's less than $1.00, in most cases. It's not that big a deal. And the new tax for TopGolf is to sunset in 20 years. Written into the "agreement"
She also lowered the property tax which ended up making a bigger difference than a small restaurant tax.
#gohawks
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

debradomayer wrote:
GrandpaaSmucker wrote:
Anyone want to set odds on weather or not Top Golf is still open and operating in 20 years.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!