Lumberyard District (Downtown Millard)

West Omaha, Sarpy and Nebraska metro counties.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

iamjacobm
City Council

Re: Lumberyard District (Downtown Millard)

Post by iamjacobm »

nebugeater wrote:
Coyote wrote:From Local Beer, Patio, and Kitchen:
image.jpeg
Not to derail the thread but I want to like this place so much but the one in Gretna at Nebr Cross has been a big disappointment the times I have been there. Mostly along the line of the staff services and not the food......if you ever get it or even get your order taken.
Had a very similar experience out there.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

iamjacobm wrote:
nebugeater wrote:
image.jpeg
Not to derail the thread but I want to like this place so much but the one in Gretna at Nebr Cross has been a big disappointment the times I have been there. Mostly along the line of the staff services and not the food......if you ever get it or even get your order taken.
Had a very similar experience out there.
Hope they can do better in the Lumberyard area. My fear is that they are a great one hit wonder at their first location but as they branch out to other locations what drives the concept and service is streached to thin and they have not found the correct added leaders that believe in the same ways.

I am far from alone with people I know from Gretna I know having the same experience. I hope they figure it out because like I said before I really want it to work. I fear location #3 might water it down even more.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

nebugeater wrote:
image.jpeg
I had the same experience a few weeks ago at NEX. It took them 10 minutes to take our order and the waiter didn't know anything about the menu. It shows bierocks on their website for $1 each, so I showed it to him, he walked away for 5-10 minutes and said they couldn't honor that. Its not like this place has been around forever. They should probably update their website. Also, Monday's are supposed to be $5.99 for a burger and tots. My wife got the Veggie burger and it was still $10. They also charged me $1 extra for cheese on mine. Overall the food was ok, but the experience, not so much.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

skinzfan23 wrote:
nebugeater wrote:
image.jpeg
I had the same experience a few weeks ago at NEX. It took them 10 minutes to take our order and the waiter didn't know anything about the menu. It shows bierocks on their website for $1 each, so I showed it to him, he walked away for 5-10 minutes and said they couldn't honor that. Its not like this place has been around forever. They should probably update their website. Also, Monday's are supposed to be $5.99 for a burger and tots. My wife got the Veggie burger and it was still $10. They also charged me $1 extra for cheese on mine. Overall the food was ok, but the experience, not so much.

They have had Groupon Coupons that say nothing about location that are only honored at the original location and not at the NEX location. Not my personal experience but have heard it from more than one person that bought the Groupon's
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

The prices on their website even have you confirm the location, but they wouldn't honor it. I just wanted 2-3 of them for my daughter, I didn't need a whole order.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

Never tried this much-talked-about joint yet... I'll have to.
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

The Dunkin Donuts opened up around mid November and I have been in there several times about 6:30 AM and I was always the only customer they had. So far hardly anybody in Millard is going there at all. That strip center is going to be a tough place for a business to make a go of it I guarantee it.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:The Dunkin Donuts opened up around mid November and I have been in there several times about 6:30 AM and I was always the only customer they had. So far hardly anybody in Millard is going there at all. That strip center is going to be a tough place for a business to make a go of it I guarantee it.
Really? I'm sure it will get busier. All the locations seem to be doing fairly well. I'm sooooooo glad they finally came to Omaha, but I hope they don't open too many too fast -- kinda like Jimmy John's. Even now, I feel I don't appreciate Dunkin' Donuts like I used to, when it was brand new in Omaha, and back when it wasn't even in Omaha, when it used to be a savory stop in St. Joseph on the way to KC. (And, I would always stop-in DD if in Chicago, or on the East Coast or Florida). Same with Jimmy John's. I can remember when Jimmy John's was an exciting little stop for lunch in midtown KC. Then, I noticed one in Overland Park, KS (suburb of KC). Just years later, they were ALL OVER, in your face, everywhere you turned -- even up in Omaha. Business location wise, they just EXPLODED. I love Jimmy John's, but there are so many now, I almost think "gag me" sometimes when I drive by -- like I sometimes do w/ Runza. (And, I technically really like Runza, too. Just NOT in the mood sometimes...)
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_corn_burner »

New website up : http://www.lumberyarddistrict.com/
The apartment floorplans are on there
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:The Dunkin Donuts opened up around mid November and I have been in there several times about 6:30 AM and I was always the only customer they had. So far hardly anybody in Millard is going there at all. That strip center is going to be a tough place for a business to make a go of it I guarantee it.
Is there any convenient parking for that DD?

Also it seems that some of the newer "branch" DDs which have popped up do not have nearly the selection that the main one on Pacific has. It's my turn to get donuts every so often and I've found that the one on Fort and the one on Q, for example, have a much smaller selection.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Omababe wrote:

Also it seems that some of the newer "branch" DDs which have popped up do not have nearly the selection that the main one on Pacific has. It's my turn to get donuts every so often and I've found that the one on Fort and the one on Q, for example, have a much smaller selection.

There is plenty of parking around back of that development in a surface lot for what is open now. We will see as it fills out if it is adequate. IT is decent sized but it will depend on what businesses fill it out and if they are gathering places or in and out stops.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

I can't imagine that DD not eventually doing just fine -- if all the other locations in Omaha do just fine. It is not like they stuck it in the middle of the Millard Highlands subdivision, at the end of a long, twisty cul-de-sac. It's right there off the main drag in busy Downtown Millard.

I do want to look at those new units one of these days. It would be nice to have a place, and simply walk down to DD on a Saturday morning for coffee, ect.
Ben
Human Relations

Post by Ben »

Local soft opening on Monday the 20th. All food 50% off.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

Ben wrote:Local soft opening on Monday the 20th. All food 50% off.
Thanks for letting us know! I'm planning to stop in. Love their donuts & coffee.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

RockHarbor wrote:
Thanks for letting us know! I'm planning to stop in. Love their donuts & coffee.
The soft opening is for Local Beer Patio and Kitchen. The DD has been open for a while.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

nebugeater wrote:
RockHarbor wrote:
The soft opening is for Local Beer Patio and Kitchen. The DD has been open for a while.
Oh, whoops... Thanks for the clarification!
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

Omababe wrote:

When you drive down Millard Ave it looks like Dunkin Donuts takes up that whole South corner of the strip mall but they don't. Dunkin actually does not front Millard Ave and is on the back of the strip mall in that corner. There are 3 or 4 parking spots right in front that are never taken. this is a pretty small shop once you get inside.

Figuring that donuts cost 1 dollar a piece, if the rent is 3000 then they have to sell 100 donuts a day to cover rent. Then they got 2 employees working in there 24 hours a day costing 500 to 800 a day in wages and taxes, so theres another 500 donuts a day they need to sell just for labor. Now we are up to 500 to 600 donuts a day having to be sold just for rent and labor and we still have not paid the dozens of other bills. They must have to sell 1000 donuts a day to make that thing above water and they are no where near that yet.
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:
Figuring that donuts cost 1 dollar a piece, if the rent is 3000 then they have to sell 100 donuts a day to cover rent. Then they got 2 employees working in there 24 hours a day costing 500 to 800 a day in wages and taxes, so theres another 500 donuts a day they need to sell just for labor. Now we are up to 500 to 600 donuts a day having to be sold just for rent and labor and we still have not paid the dozens of other bills. They must have to sell 1000 donuts a day to make that thing above water and they are no where near that yet.
I'm just guessing, but I assume they earn more revenue and profit on their coffee.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

I'm sure they'll be fine.... They are only smack-dab in the middle of "YoungFamilyVILLE" (Meaning: Millard = plenty of starter homes, plenty of kids, plenty of donuts wanted on a Saturday morning). I'm sure those rents aren't cheap, though, and it takes lots of donut sales to meet it -- you're right.

I drove by that new complex today again, and I love the beiges, browns, and rust-colored sections facing Millard Avenue. It also looks like there will be narrow strips of blue fescue grasses. Love it. Nice color schemes... It is a sharp complex.
Ben
Human Relations

Post by Ben »

Went to the LOCAL opening last night. So much for a "soft" open with these days of FB invites, there was a line out the door practically the entire night. The place will do well, and has much of the "vibe" of the downtown location, without being to urban for Millardites. Not nearly as watered down of the concept as the NEX location. While service was slow (as to be expected with a full place on the first night), food was good, beer was the selection I've come to expect from a place like this, and the servers were helpful, and apologetic and doing their best.

A couple of thoughts on the development:
-That parking lot is a mess. Way to few spots, and the rows are awfully tight together. Even with only a couple of places open in that strip, people were circling for a long time/parking elsewhere. Several bigger pickups look like they were having a tough time getting into spots because of the tight rows/small spots.
-I know its early to judge the apartments as they're not finished, but they look kind of awful. Instead of a true mixed use development, it looks like a standard multi-story apartment complex tucked behind a strip mall. I don't understand why they didn't do apartments over shops, and more of a community/main street type feel - see www.birkdalevillage.net for a great example in suburban Charlotte, near where my parents used to live.
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

Ben wrote:I know its early to judge the apartments as they're not finished, but they look kind of awful. Instead of a true mixed use development, it looks like a standard multi-story apartment complex tucked behind a strip mall. I don't understand why they didn't do apartments over shops, and more of a community/main street type feel - see http://www.birkdalevillage.net for a great example in suburban Charlotte, near where my parents used to live.
I don't think they claimed to be a mixed use development? Anyways, I've been posting this for awhile now. It's just a couple hundred expensive apartments. I don't think it's going to do anything to "revolutionize" Millard, but it is nice they finally used that land for something. Hopefully some businesses and houses in the immediate vicinity will be purchased, torn down, and rebuilt into more new stuff.

Pretty similar to the apartments at Peony Park, next to HyVee.

EDIT : Went through the whole thread. The only thing saying mixed use was a news article from December 2014. There were many complaints about lack of "mixed use" around page 5 of this thread.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

Ben wrote: -I know its early to judge the apartments as they're not finished, but they look kind of awful. Instead of a true mixed use development, it looks like a standard multi-story apartment complex tucked behind a strip mall. I don't understand why they didn't do apartments over shops, and more of a community/main street type feel - see http://www.birkdalevillage.net for a great example in suburban Charlotte, near where my parents used to live.
Possibly to cover their bets regarding converting to condos in the future. If you have a condo over a restaurant (or something zoned to be a restaurant) you can't get FHA backed mortgages on the condos. This forces buyers into cash purchases or private lender mortgage markets with higher interest rates.
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

bigredmed wrote:
Ben wrote: -I know its early to judge the apartments as they're not finished, but they look kind of awful. Instead of a true mixed use development, it looks like a standard multi-story apartment complex tucked behind a strip mall. I don't understand why they didn't do apartments over shops, and more of a community/main street type feel - see http://www.birkdalevillage.net for a great example in suburban Charlotte, near where my parents used to live.
Possibly to cover their bets regarding converting to condos in the future. If you have a condo over a restaurant (or something zoned to be a restaurant) you can't get FHA backed mortgages on the condos. This forces buyers into cash purchases or private lender mortgage markets with higher interest rates.

The 400 pound gorilla in the room nobody wants to talk about is what if those apartments got desperate for tenants and started accepting section 8. If that happens there most certainly could be a mass of houses going up for sale in that neighborhood.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:
bigredmed wrote:

The 400 pound gorilla in the room nobody wants to talk about is what if those apartments got desperate for tenants and started accepting section 8. If that happens there most certainly could be a mass of houses going up for sale in that neighborhood.

Brand new, probably not, but a year from now? Almost certainly get some section 8 folks. Too far from a college. Too far from the hipster hangs. All the other apartments in the area that haven't filled have gone that way or with scattered site housing.

Doubt it changes the neighborhood much.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

I'm pretty sure there's a lot of section 8 people in those apartments north of L Street Marketplace off 132nd, yet the market for the surrounding real estate looks just as tight as it is anywhere else in Omaha. Bearing in mind, 'old town' Millard isn't exactly the most desirable area to begin with.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

Stargazer wrote:I'm pretty sure there's a lot of section 8 people in those apartments north of L Street Marketplace off 132nd, yet the market for the surrounding real estate looks just as tight as it is anywhere else in Omaha. Bearing in mind, 'old town' Millard isn't exactly the most desirable area to begin with.
These are a section 8 complex. Old East Millard (Oaks, Signal Hill, etc) had a bunch of section 8 people move in and market prices flattened despite other parts of Millard escalating through the early 2000's.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

These are predominantly smaller, one car garage homes in the first place. The prices in the area are commensurate with the housing.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

These apartments are looking more and more like a monstrosity every day. They got em packed in there like rats like no other place in the city that I can think of. I'm sure those apartments are nice and new but I would not want to find myself living there no way no how. God save us all if they ever start moving low income into that place. I hope this place succeeds because otherwise its a disaster waiting to happen if it don't.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

Don't know that they will rapidly slide into section8, but they are not very appealing. There is a crampedness that I never experienced in the yard, even when there were lots of rail cars parked there.

They need some serious reasons to go there. I don't see retirees moving there. I don't see college kids moving there. Without some attractions (and Dunkin Donuts and the eat fit food place don't get on the list), it's going to struggle.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

I'm honestly surprised that they didn't buy out those ramshackle buildings behind Walgreens and put something else there. It's such a strange looking development.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

RNcyanide wrote:I'm honestly surprised that they didn't buy out those ramshackle buildings behind Walgreens and put something else there. It's such a strange looking development.
No kidding!!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Hey, it did get rid of that Discount Cigarette store at 135th & Riggs, it is now Ear Wax Records :)
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

Omaha_corn_burner wrote:
RNcyanide wrote:I'm honestly surprised that they didn't buy out those ramshackle buildings behind Walgreens and put something else there. It's such a strange looking development.
No kidding!!
Would have been nice. But then the monument to Pot Pioneers couldn't have been built. Once Nebraska legalizes it, then the true story of Afghani Superpot can be told.
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

Buy/remove those last few homes on 136th street and build a bunch of row houses
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

I drove by the other day, but quickly. I noticed they planted a bunch of trees. Maybe 40?
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

http://www.omaha.com/money/millard-s-lu ... 98015.html
the six-block district in the historic heart of Old Millard is nearing the finish of a dramatic transformation into offices, retailers and apartments.

Jason Lanoha of Lanoha Development said his vision since buying the swath three years ago was to create a cool and walkable district, akin to a Benson or Dundee — a new downtown core for Old Millard.
So, strip mall and expensive apartments was his vision?
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

Yeah I'm not exactly thrilled with how it turned out either. I'm hoping they buy those crack dens across the street and make something there. It would have been a few shades better if they put their leasing office in the actual office space, or maybe used one of the old gas stations nearby; that bay would have made a nice bar on the round about.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

Omaha_corn_burner wrote:http://www.omaha.com/money/millard-s-lu ... 98015.html
the six-block district in the historic heart of Old Millard is nearing the finish of a dramatic transformation into offices, retailers and apartments.

Jason Lanoha of Lanoha Development said his vision since buying the swath three years ago was to create a cool and walkable district, akin to a Benson or Dundee — a new downtown core for Old Millard.
So, strip mall and expensive apartments was his vision?
You are correct sir....that article looks to be Fake News. It now says on the front page of the World Herald that they are "Real, Fair, Accurate" but I'm not to sure of that. Is that article not really anything but an advertisement masquerading as a news article? The article er I mean advertisement says that 85% of the commercial space is leased or spoken for or soon to be leased. Now if 85% of the commercial space is already spoken for then how come right now today almost 85% of the commercial space is empty with big signs all over it saying the space is for lease? That's Fake News! The idea that this thing is some kind of grand and well planned out "Vision".....again Fake News!
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

You do realize it's possible to be leased but not yet have build out started....kind of how that works. People sign a lease THEN the space gets finished.
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

OmahaJaysCU wrote:You do realize it's possible to be leased but not yet have build out started....kind of how that works. People sign a lease THEN the space gets finished.

You are right to a point....that being said there is not a sales office in town that counts things like "hes almost sold" or "theyre going to call me back at the end of the week" or any other EXCUSE as a closed deal. The guys sitting around sales offices hoping for call backs and promises are the guys struggling to close real deals. In the article he makes it sounds like the deals are done but in reality I bet hes sweating it out right about now.