Drivers have gotten worse than East Coast

Visitors and Residents can ask Questions about Omaha here

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

RetiredBear

Drivers have gotten worse than East Coast

Post by RetiredBear »

I've lived here 30 years, and I never thought I would say it, but drivers have gotten even worse than places like New York, Boston, Dallas, Denver, Los Angeles. (I've driven in all of them). My brother lives in Boston, and calls bad drivers there "Massholes". When he came to visit last year, his comment was that we actually have worse drivers than Boston.

The short list of HORRIBLE driving I see EVERY time I go out includes: Running stop lights and signs. Failure to yield. Failure to signal turns and lane changes. Speeding (20 or more mph over limit) Reckless driving, texting while driving. Tail gating, Road Rage. I could go on, but you get the idea.

Today I had some moron in an Black Chevy Tahoe :koko: tailgating at 45 mph, so close, that I couldn't even seen his front grill. There was no reason for it, we were on West Maple, and he could have easily gone around. This kind of dip stick thinks it's appropriate to tailgate to get you to change lanes to get out of their way. Well I didn't, so when this brain trust finally went around, he got in front of me, slammed on the brakes and then sat at a green light intersection hoping the light would turn red.

Sure wish we had some police presence on the streets that would get these morons off the road before they kill someone.
YoungGun

Re: Drivers have gotten worse than East Coast

Post by YoungGun »

Sorry about that. I was just trying to see what radio station you were listening to. I tried to stop at the next intersection so I could get out and ask you, but it was awkward with the green light.
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

I had to laugh hard today while reading in the paper about this little road rage incident at Burke high School between a couple of women!

http://www.omaha.com/news/crime/burke-h ... 18ec4.html
damonhynes
Parks & Recreation

Post by damonhynes »

I had some bluehair damn near kill me on NE-50 Saturday, made a left turn to head south and immediately went for the right lane, ignoring the fact that I was already there.

Problem is, these guys have been driving on 50 since it was 2-lane, Springfield was a day trip and they were lucky to see one car every hour. :evil:
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

It may be wise to invest in a dash cam these days. The camera might bite you in certain situations where you're at fault, but it would be a good CYA device in others.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
FrankG

Post by FrankG »

RetiredBear wrote:Today I had some moron in an Black Chevy Tahoe :koko: tailgating at 45 mph, so close, that I couldn't even seen his front grill. There was no reason for it, we were on West Maple, and he could have easily gone around. This kind of dip stick thinks it's appropriate to tailgate to get you to change lanes to get out of their way. Well I didn't, so when this brain trust finally went around, he got in front of me, slammed on the brakes and then sat at a green light intersection hoping the light would turn red.
Were you in the left lane? If so, you deserved it.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

FrankG wrote:
RetiredBear wrote:Today I had some moron in an Black Chevy Tahoe :koko: tailgating at 45 mph, so close, that I couldn't even seen his front grill. There was no reason for it, we were on West Maple, and he could have easily gone around. This kind of dip stick thinks it's appropriate to tailgate to get you to change lanes to get out of their way. Well I didn't, so when this brain trust finally went around, he got in front of me, slammed on the brakes and then sat at a green light intersection hoping the light would turn red.
Were you in the left lane? If so, you deserved it.
How so? Isn't the speed limit on West Maple 45 or 50 mph? Even if he was hogging the left lane, that is no excuse to tailgate. There aren't any good excuses to tailgate. On city streets, unlike the interstate, I don't think drivers should expect slower traffic to always move over to the right to let faster-moving traffic get by. Often you may need to be in the left lane because you're going to make a left turn soon, or even on the interstate in Omaha, you need to be in the lane where you eventually need to go, or you may not be able to get over in heavy traffic. I hate left lane hogs too, but in this case it seems justified. Tailgating is never justified, unless you're at a stop light.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_corn_burner »

Sadly, West Maple is all 45MPH now. I caught myself flying by everybody (after having not driven West Maple in YEARS) and noticed it's all 45MPH.