JC Penny's

News and releases from metro area businesses

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Coyote
City Council

JC Penny's

Post by Coyote »

JC Penny's just announced the closure of 200 stores. I wonder if one of ours will be affected.
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

Re: JC Penny's

Post by Omaha_corn_burner »

Googling seems to bring up articles stating 130-140 stores will close. A list will be published in March.

There are 1014 JCPenny stores in the US and Puerto Rico.

$3.96 billion in revenue for the quarter
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Nebraska Closures:

Fremont Mall: Fremont
Downtown McCook: McCook
Platte River Mall: North Platte
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Here's the complete list of store closures in this Fremont Tribune piece:

http://fremonttribune.com/business/loca ... 65311.html

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
debradomayer
Library Board

Post by debradomayer »

Closing this Penney's is going to just kill that little mall. Gordman's has a store there too. Only thing that will keep it alive is the HyVee. Too bad
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_corn_burner »

debradomayer wrote:Closing this Penney's is going to just kill that little mall. Gordman's has a store there too. Only thing that will keep it alive is the HyVee. Too bad
Just curious, do you go to that mall often?
I don't notice many people going into JC Penny's, but I think Gordmans gets some decent foot traffic.
If the movie theater relocated, then it's game over.
debradomayer
Library Board

Post by debradomayer »

I've never shopped that mall, I used to call on the HyVee when I rep'd. Grocery store was always busy and you're right, Gordman's seemed to be busier than Penney's. But it's 30 minutes max to Westroads, so I would expect they'd see a bump in traffic!
Silverspoon
Home Owners Association

Post by Silverspoon »

debradomayer wrote:Closing this Penney's is going to just kill that little mall. Gordman's has a store there too. Only thing that will keep it alive is the HyVee. Too bad
Hy-Vee is the cornerstone of every successful mall... :;):

If Oakview cant survive, then Fremont has no chance.
Jim Flowers rules!
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

It looks like in this round of JC Penney closures that only one store in Nebraska is on the list so far. That is the location in Grand Island

https://www.ksnblocal4.com/content/news ... 03YgKU4lDo

As more stores close in malls across the country, the Conestoga Mall in Grand Island is about to take another major hit. It's losing a flagship retailer.

JCPenney said Thursday it would start closing 154 stores in 20 states, including the store in Grand Island. At this time, the Grand Island store is the only one to close in Nebraska. Though additional closures are expected to be announced in the coming weeks.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

That's really good news for Omaha area. It would have been really bad for Shadow Lake or Oak View since they are already struggling. Would have been pretty rough even for Westroads to lost a 2nd anchor.

If you like these locations, it's time to shop.

Greg
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

Post by GrandpaaSmucker »

Greg S wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:49 am That's really good news for Omaha area. It would have been really bad for Shadow Lake or Oak View since they are already struggling. Would have been pretty rough even for Westroads to lost a 2nd anchor.

If you like these locations, it's time to shop.

Greg
Money is too tight here we can't help Penneys. The only thing that can save Penneys is if they can weasel in on some government handouts like some stimus or TIF's or something! :lol: Its over for Penneys its no loss and most of us are not going to miss them much. I'm not going to lie and say I miss Sears much either.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

I think the CB and Oakview ones will probably be the first to go, but depending on what their rent is at Shadow Lake, that could change.
EastCB
Library Board

Post by EastCB »

From what I’ve heard, the one in CB does very well.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

EastCB wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 3:27 pmFrom what I’ve heard, the one in CB does very well.
Actually, that's the one I usually end up going to. LOL, I've always said that you could fall asleep in the JCP in CB and wake up in the one at Shadow Lake and you would not notice the difference. :)
Omahacritic
Human Relations

Post by Omahacritic »

Let’s hope this latest round of closures works. Competition is good. Last thing we need is more Wal-Marts or Amazons.
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

Penney’s has been in steady decline since the 80’s. It kept trying to be all things to everyone at a discount. The interiors at stores like Oakview and the Westroads were often jumbled and the quality sucked. I can’t say that I have shopped there more than once or twice in the last 4 years and won’t miss them.
EastCB
Library Board

Post by EastCB »

bigredmed1 wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:16 am Penney’s has been in steady decline since the 80’s. It kept trying to be all things to everyone at a discount. The interiors at stores like Oakview and the Westroads were often jumbled and the quality sucked. I can’t say that I have shopped there more than once or twice in the last 4 years and won’t miss them.
The Council Bluffs store is rather nice on the interior. Looks a little upscale. I agree that the quality has gone down. That is because the guy from apple thought he knew about retailing. Apparently not so. Just because you can do tech doesn’t mean you know a sh’t about anything else.😂
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

EastCB wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:15 pm
bigredmed1 wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:16 am Penney’s has been in steady decline since the 80’s. It kept trying to be all things to everyone at a discount. The interiors at stores like Oakview and the Westroads were often jumbled and the quality sucked. I can’t say that I have shopped there more than once or twice in the last 4 years and won’t miss them.
The Council Bluffs store is rather nice on the interior. Looks a little upscale. I agree that the quality has gone down. That is because the guy from apple thought he knew about retailing. Apparently not so. Just because you can do tech doesn’t mean you know a sh’t about anything else.😂
It's funny that everyone remembers him as the Apple guy (he was VP of their retail), but he got his start and spent more time at Target before that.
omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Post by omaha79 »

skinzfan23 wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:23 pm I think the CB and Oakview ones will probably be the first to go, but depending on what their rent is at Shadow Lake, that could change.
I'd guess Shadow Lake would go first.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

omaha79 wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:46 am
skinzfan23 wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:23 pm I think the CB and Oakview ones will probably be the first to go, but depending on what their rent is at Shadow Lake, that could change.
It does seem to always be slow. I would assume if they keep one in Omaha it would be Westroads since that mall has so much more traffic than Oak View. That being said, that store I believe is at least 50k square feet bigger, not sure if that's a plus or a minus. Plus I don't know if JCPenneys owns any of these stores, which would be a factor too.

Greg
EastCB
Library Board

Post by EastCB »

The CB store is owned by the company.
omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Post by omaha79 »

Greg S wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:15 pm
omaha79 wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:46 am
It does seem to always be slow. I would assume if they keep one in Omaha it would be Westroads since that mall has so much more traffic than Oak View. That being said, that store I believe is at least 50k square feet bigger, not sure if that's a plus or a minus. Plus I don't know if JCPenneys owns any of these stores, which would be a factor too.

Greg
Anecdotally, the Shadow Lake store is beyond frustrating. I typically only go there for essentials like plain colored t shirts and dry fit workout shirts. But, half the time, if I find something I want, they never have it there. But, they'll tell you to go to Oak View or Westroads. So, on that alone, I'd say the more square footage is probably better. It's hard to have a store that is a destination when you aren't capable of keeping adequate stock on basic items due to square footage.

That's been the problem with most of the retailers at shadow lake from the start and why the development is failing. the bays were much smaller than their Omaha counterparts. You can only be told so many times "we don't have it, but we'll put it on hold for you at Westroads" before you just cut out the middle man and stop shopping there.