OPS Superintendent opening down to 0 again

The Political decisions of Omaha.

Moderators: Brad, nebugeater, Coyote, Omaha Cowboy

Silverspoon
New to the Neighborhood

OPS Superintendent opening down to 0 again

Postby Silverspoon » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:09 am

I heard tonight that the last two candidates withdrew from the race at the same time leaving OPS with no immediate candidates to choose from. What is scaring candidates off? What are their biggest tasks that they are going to face after being appointed?

Omababe
Planning Board

Re: OPS Superintendent opening down to 0 again

Postby Omababe » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:33 am

My guess is the market is more competitive and they found greener pastures to pursue. Perhaps some of their current districts offered to pay them to stay maybe?

bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Postby bigredmed » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:41 am

Omababe wrote:My guess is the market is more competitive and they found greener pastures to pursue. Perhaps some of their current districts offered to pay them to stay maybe?

Both of these are likely. Honestly, if you were really good at that job, and an offer came in from a school district with serious structural issues, an obstructionist teachers union, a school board who took 127 votes to determine who got to chair the board, and thinks nothing is odd about that, and when a school board member wanted compensation data, was told by the admin bureaucracy that he was not entitled to it; would you even apply? I would round file that before it got to room temperature.

jessep28
Planning Board

Postby jessep28 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:38 am

The fact that both finalists simultaneously dropped out and released a joint statement seems to suggest they no longer wanted to deal with the board and/or administration.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum

mistergutierrez
New to the Neighborhood

Postby mistergutierrez » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:14 pm

During many years the board did not properly oversight the school administration, that´s why John Mackiel left with $1M in compensation while student achievement was beyond depressing. Now the Board is in the completely other side, which causes frequent clashes between BoE and superintendent.

I don't think it´s a matter of money. OPS is three times the size of their original districts and they salary here is quite high comparing to other similar size school districts. Mumin is well appreciated in his district, while Gausman not so much due to budget cuts and increase in class sizes. However, in my opinion, the message it´s pretty clear: "We don´t want to work with a BoE that is going to convert each decision into a fight", and the cause it´s the vast differences inside the board.

I do not want a board that votes unanimously 100% of the times, disagreement is good, but at this moment the board has converted the district decision making process in a war of trenches.

Omababe
Planning Board

Postby Omababe » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:33 am

jessep28 wrote:The fact that both finalists simultaneously dropped out and released a joint statement seems to suggest they no longer wanted to deal with the board and/or administration.

The impression I got from the Talking Heads yesterday is that both of them were more or less snubbed by the board and the headhunting firm told them they should withdraw. Is this incorrect?

Uffda
Planning Board

Postby Uffda » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:06 am

Omababe wrote:
jessep28 wrote:The fact that both finalists simultaneously dropped out and released a joint statement seems to suggest they no longer wanted to deal with the board and/or administration.

The impression I got from the Talking Heads yesterday is that both of them were more or less snubbed by the board and the headhunting firm told them they should withdraw. Is this incorrect?

Based on one board member quote I saw in the paper that might be true at least the first part might be true.

Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Postby Omaha Cowboy » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:25 pm

Agreed. It's an embarrassment..

In this case, I'm in complete agreement with the W-H editorial regarding this matter from the Sunday paper...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!

Uffda
Planning Board

Postby Uffda » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:53 pm

Omaha Cowboy wrote:

In this case, I'm in complete agreement with the W-H editorial regarding this matter from the Sunday paper...

Ciao..LiO...Peace

I agree they should pause but as to Mr. Evans if I remember correctly he was in 'cut' his contract short for family reasons - so he might not want to stay.

Also as to all his 'accomplishments' I dislike seeing someone getting credit for some things that they had little to do with.... but that's just me.

Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Postby Omaha Cowboy » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:42 pm

Uffda wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:

Ciao..LiO...Peace

I agree they should pause but as to Mr. Evans if I remember correctly he was in 'cut' his contract short for family reasons - so he might not want to stay.

Also as to all his 'accomplishments' I dislike seeing someone getting credit for some things that they had little to do with.... but that's just me.

My sister has worked for OPS for 16 years. She told me Sunday the opinion many have within the district for Mr. Evans is pretty milk-toast..

The W-H editorial piece sure seemed to pro-slant his many 'accomplishments' over the past 3 years that's for sure...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!

Uffda
Planning Board

Postby Uffda » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:12 am

Omaha Cowboy wrote:
My sister has worked for OPS for 16 years. She told me Sunday the opinion many have within the district for Mr. Evans is pretty milk-toast..

The W-H editorial piece sure seemed to pro-slant his many 'accomplishments' over the past 3 years that's for sure...

Ciao..LiO...Peace

:cheers:

nebugeater
County Board

Postby nebugeater » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:28 am

Omababe wrote:My guess is the market is more competitive and they found greener pastures to pursue. Perhaps some of their current districts offered to pay them to stay maybe?

I don't think either are the case in this situation.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!

nebugeater
County Board

Postby nebugeater » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:21 am

Pretty pointed comments by the candidate from Pennsylvania

http://www.omaha.com/news/education/ove ... 6dbec.html

"The uncertainty, that's what it was," Mumin later said to the Eagle. "Here in Reading, there's no uncertainty. We work together. It's not an atmosphere of aggression or political grandstanding, and that's important to me."

"The uncertainty, that's what it was," Mumin later said to the Eagle. "Here in Reading, there's no uncertainty. We work together. It's not an atmosphere of aggression or political grandstanding, and that's important to me."

In his email, Mumin said he didn't believe OPS leaders "have the best interest of kids in their actions."
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!

Return to “Omaha Metro Area Government”