Human Relations

Marrakech Gourmet

Post by ItsAllAboutMe »

Marrakech Gourmet

Looks like they will occupy the rest of the space next to Pancheros
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

This was written up in the OWH dining section today.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

MOROCCAN AT THE BRANDEIS

http://www.omaha.com/article/20100430/E ... /704309951
Nichole Aksamit World-Herald Staff Writer wrote:A new Moroccan eatery is coming to the food court at the Brandeis Building, 210 S. 16th St.

Marrakech Gourmet at the Brandeis, expected to open by mid-May, is owned by Jo Lynn Clemens and chef Moussa Drissi.

Clemens said Drissi is a Moroccan native who worked with Art Smith, Oprah Winfrey's personal chef, in Chicago. Drissi started a catering company in Omaha before partnering with Clemens to launch the Brandeis spot.

“It's going to be healthy, obviously, in the Mediterranean style,” Clemens said. “We'll have wraps and paninis with Moroccan spices as well as soups. We're also looking at having some buffet-type items.”
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

They desperately need to start converting 16th Street into angled parking.  There's so much potential here, and it would go a long ways toward improving the viability of these businesses propping up on this side of downtown.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Marrakech Gourmet brings the flavorful cuisine to Omaha
Lainey Seyler of The Reader wrote:Moroccan food is new to Omaha. Ethiopian and Sudanese eateries that have opened in recent years in the city are the closest we’ve come to the flavorful, slow-cooked culinary style of this northeast African nation. Moroccan cuisine generally relies heavily on spices (such as saffron, cumin and ginger) and herbs (such as mint; think Moroccan mint tea) for its flavor.

“Moroccan food is unique,” says Drissi. “It’s been influenced by so many regions (and tribes) in Morocco. We get Spanish cuisine, Middle Eastern. We also have East African cuisine. Morocco has been a colony by the French, so they brought French cuisine.”
ricko
Parks & Recreation

Post by ricko »

Thanks for the link. I hope he can follow through on his dream of opening a casual Moroccan restaurant in Omaha. It would be a great addition to the Omaha dining scene. One of the best meals I've had was at a Moroccan restaurant----awesome food. It's unlike any other cuisine I've had before.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Chefs entice diners with flavors of Morocco, Tanzania
Jane Palmer WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:Our food is a combination of Moroccan, Mediterranean and the Middle Eastern region. We cook from scratch. We do a lot of grilling and stewing.

We use no artificial anything. We use the freshest herbs. We import a lot of fresh spices, saffron, pure honey. We accommodate vegan and gluten free. We're kid friendly, we cater and we deliver.
mgmlot93
New to the Neighborhood

Post by mgmlot93 »

We went to the 33rd street location last night and the food was wonderful. I hope they do well.
derog
Home Owners Association

Post by derog »

FYI, the location in the Brandeis is closed.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Marrakech reminds me a bit of one of those ethnic restaurants you are apt to find adjacent to large universities.  Quirky, informal, laid back...to the point we had to track our server back into their office to get the check...but the food is delicious.
ThatGuy
Human Relations

Post by ThatGuy »

mgmlot93 wrote:We went to the 33rd street location last night and the food was wonderful. I hope they do well.
Super affordable too.
frankt
New to the Neighborhood

Re: Marrakech Gourmet

Post by frankt »

Closed. Now it's a burger joint.
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

frankt wrote:Closed. Now it's a burger joint.
So sad. They had the most delicious mint green tea. Last time I checked you can still buy it at the Tea Smith.
Nick808402
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Nick808402 »

Damn! They're closed?!?! Ate there a few times and loved it. Was pricey but worth it. Been wanting to go back for a while.

I had a pick up take out order once after the lunch rush and talked to the owner and chef for like 20 minutes. Really nice and genuine guy.