The Crossroads (72 & Dodge)

West Omaha, Sarpy and Nebraska metro counties.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

MTO
City Council

Re: Crossroads - Redevelopment Plan

Post by MTO »

nebugeater wrote:
GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:
MTO wrote:This project has a BRT component that is integral to the future of the city's future trasnportation aspirations and I have a feeling Yates is holding that over their heads to drag this bullshít out. The city needs to grow some balls and tell Yates to suck an egg, if each individual component has to be built sepepratly (but according to a master plan) then so be it. An all or nothing approach in a city this size is too much for projects of this scale.

Sorry to be brutally honest but the City don"t really have any future mass transportation plans. Stothert and Mellow are both full of B.S. and could careless about the streetcar or any of it. They will promise you that they will get BIgfoot for the zoo if it will get you to vote for them.
So..... You are saying that the Zoo is getting a Bigfoot? To heck with Pandas!!!!!!!
I was actually referring to the BRT.
15-17, 26, 32
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Schmitt's Music across the street is apparently for sale. I don't know if they are moving (wasn't this a Hospe's back in the day?) or if their land in now too valuable to keep and expect an offer they can't refuse...
Omaha_Gabe
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_Gabe »

Coyote wrote:Schmitt's Music across the street is apparently for sale. I don't know if they are moving (wasn't this a Hospe's back in the day?) or if their land in now too valuable to keep and expect an offer they can't refuse...
I would assume that they are still in business as they provide (rent) the instruments for most of the band kiddos in many schools.
Dundeemaha
Human Relations

Post by Dundeemaha »

The Gadgeteer just south of Schmitt's closed recently as well. That whole 2 square block area 74-72, Dodge - Farnam is so haphazard with buildings. It's too bad the city's master plan for the area is so unlikely to happen.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

That whole area from Jones north to Dodge, 72nd west to 74th, looks ripe for redevelopment. I could see a new NFM going in on part of that with a tie-in to their relatively new warehouse between Jones & Harney (behind Lowes.) NFM would probably only need Jones to Farnam, leaving space for more infill up to Dodge, including Do Space and more outlots.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

I was at the YP Summit today and the mayor said she met with the developer Friday and also hinted at a Nordstroms.
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

HR Paperstacks wrote:I was at the YP Summit today and the mayor said she met with the developer Friday and also hinted at a Nordstroms.
Did you get to hear Ari Shapiro speak? I did not know he was going to be in Omaha. I would have taken the day off. :(
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

choke wrote:
HR Paperstacks wrote:I was at the YP Summit today and the mayor said she met with the developer Friday and also hinted at a Nordstroms.
Did you get to hear Ari Shapiro speak? I did not know he was going to be in Omaha. I would have taken the day off. :(
Yeah, it was a really interesting talk.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

I wonder if it's Nordstroms Rack? That's what most of their new locations are.

Greg
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Sears has 'substantial doubt' that it can survive
CNN wrote:Sears Holdings is not even sure it can raise enough cash through loans and debt financing to survive. The company owes $4.2 billion, up from about $3 billion a year ago.

It lost $2.2 billion in the fiscal year ending in January and has not turned an annual profit since 2010. Its losses since then total $10.4 billion.
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

Coyote wrote:Sears has 'substantial doubt' that it can survive
CNN wrote:Sears Holdings is not even sure it can raise enough cash through loans and debt financing to survive. The company owes $4.2 billion, up from about $3 billion a year ago.

It lost $2.2 billion in the fiscal year ending in January and has not turned an annual profit since 2010. Its losses since then total $10.4 billion.
Who will honor my "Lifetime Guarantee" on my Craftsman tools??
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

bbinks wrote:

According to my dad who recently took a craftsman drill to the Oakview Sears, they won't honor the lifetime guarantee anymore.
Last edited by RNcyanide on Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

That Sears at the Crossroads is like a cockroach. It could survive a nuclear bomb. Even if Sears folds, somehow that one will remain open with its 99-year lease.
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

choke wrote:That Sears at the Crossroads is like a cockroach. It could survive a nuclear bomb. Even if Sears folds, somehow that one will remain open with its 99-year lease.
Its a HazMat dream. Probably asbestos aplenty.
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

bbinks wrote:
choke wrote:That Sears at the Crossroads is like a cockroach. It could survive a nuclear bomb. Even if Sears folds, somehow that one will remain open with its 99-year lease.
Its a HazMat dream. Probably asbestos aplenty.
The Crossroads Village apartments are now for lease:

https://www.zumper.com/apartment-buildi ... e-omaha-ne
Ben
Human Relations

Post by Ben »

RNcyanide wrote:
bbinks wrote:

According to my dad who recently took a craftsman drill to the Oakview Sears, they won't honor the lifetime guarantee anymore.
Sears recently announced (January) that Craftsman tools will be purchased by Stanley/Black and Decker. So the Craftsman tool brand (and likely their lifetime warranty) should remain in existence even if Sears stores go away.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

I don't expect ANY Sears store to remain open through next year.
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

nativeomahan wrote:I don't expect ANY Sears store to remain open through next year.

Except for the one at Crossroads. That one will never close. Never.
FirebirdEngineer
Home Owners Association

Post by FirebirdEngineer »

SaOmaha wrote:Last night, I attended the Omaha Planning Department public meeting on the city's redevelopment plans for the 72nd and Dodge Streets corridor in former the Old Navy space at Crossroads Mall.

Like everyone that attended, I was looking forward to details of the Crossroads Mall redevelopment plan with question and answers session afterward. Instead there were a short introduction and than everyone visit and asks questions to officials from various city department scattered though out the room.

The city master plan for 72nd and Dodge Streets corridor show Aksarben Village like street grid from 72nd, west to Papio, Cass to Dodge street. This plans that leaves only the Crossroads Parking garage and Target Store intent.  

I took photos of the Master Plan and other boards scatted though out the room.

Master plans Concept
Long time lurker, first time poster here!

I've been very curious if there has been any updates for the projected development for the other areas around Crossroads? Specifically, the areas between Dodge, Pacific, 72nd and the Papio Creek, as well as the little corner area on the NE corner of 72nd and Dodge where the current Kinkos is now. The revitalized sites around NFM have long been something I wished the city would actually get onboard with.
Dundeemaha
Human Relations

Post by Dundeemaha »

Very informative post! Thanks for the picture of the master plan.

My first thoughts when looking at it were: Wow that's a lot of parking, but it's better than what's there now.
FirebirdEngineer
Home Owners Association

Dundeemaha wrote:Very informative post! Thanks for the picture of the master plan.

My first thoughts when looking at it were: Wow that's a lot of parking, but it's better than what's there now.
To be fair, I only found that master plan from earlier in this thread. I haven't seen any mention of those areas outside of Crossroads Village since that meeting four years ago.

However, I just found this today on the website for Avant Architects. Looks like their vision for the CV redevelopment. I don't think I've seen it mentioned in the thread before: http://www.avant-architects.com/wordpre ... s-village/

Of interest is a more recent site plan of Crossroads:

Dundeemaha
Human Relations

Post by Dundeemaha »

Wow, I completely missed the quote box on the post. Still your comment made me notice the proposed 2 lane bridge in the master plan which I think would be a great addition.

Also, earlier in the thread it was mentioned that Schmitt music is for sale, the Gadgeteer closed and I heard the other day that the Plant House is moving as well so it sounds like someone may have bought up a large chunk of that awkward space south of Dodge, east of 74th with redevelopment plans.
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

During the last mayoral debate, Stothert said Yates came back asking for more incentives, once again. So much for the take-it or leave-it offer from the city. No doubt Yates is hoping for a Mello administration but the taxpayers already said noway, Jose to more incentives, so I don't know what to think.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

choke wrote:During the last mayoral debate, Stothert said Yates came back asking for more incentives, once again. So much for the take-it or leave-it offer from the city. No doubt Yates is hoping for a Mello administration but the taxpayers already said noway, Jose to more incentives, so I don't know what to think.
For what it's worth, there is a large Stothert sign at the northwest corner of 72nd & Dodge. I haven't heard one way or the other which candidate Yates supports, but that sign, which appears to be on Crossroads property might be a clue.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

GetUrban wrote:
choke wrote:During the last mayoral debate, Stothert said Yates came back asking for more incentives, once again. So much for the take-it or leave-it offer from the city. No doubt Yates is hoping for a Mello administration but the taxpayers already said noway, Jose to more incentives, so I don't know what to think.
For what it's worth, there is a large Stothert sign at the northwest corner of 72nd & Dodge. I haven't heard one way or the other which candidate Yates supports, but that sign, which appears to be on Crossroads property might be a clue.
Last time I checked there was a Mello sign by the Target exit. So maybe, maybe not.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

Busguy2010 wrote:
GetUrban wrote:
Last time I checked there was a Mello sign by the Target exit. So maybe, maybe not.
Yeah, I saw the Mello sign close to Target too. According to the DOGIS website, Target Corporation owns the land the store is on and the parking lot out to Dodge. There is a little wedge of property right at the corner which is owned by Crossroads Mall LLC.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Busguy2010 wrote:
GetUrban wrote:

Mello was working on legislation that would help in the redevelopment. That being said, we have already offered Yates enough.

Greg
riceweb
Library Board

Post by riceweb »

Funny: I remember lecturing Festersen and Jerram on this and they insisted that Crossroads could not happen without a ton of incentives. Well, what happens when we offer incentives and still nothing happens? Yates keeps moving the goalposts.

We need to threaten with eminent domain to make this happen, or we need to scale back our expectations for 72nd and Dodge. Yates seems to be a leech, and that's not something we want attached to our most prominent intersection.

One last thought: Westroads keeps attracting investment and constantly reinvents itself. Top Golf is now coming to the area, and I expect more to come to the area in the future. The problem with Crossroads is not the city, it's the mall's persistently poor management.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Word on the street... The boystown project is attractive all the tenants Crossroads was courting. Expect little retail now at the Crossroads.
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

Coyote wrote:Word on the street... The boystown project is attractive all the tenants Crossroads was courting. Expect little retail now at the Crossroads.
Target will have a huge parking lot all to itself soon.
debradomayer
Library Board

Post by debradomayer »

Yeah, I'm beginning to think this thread may be moving to the "Projects never built".
FirebirdEngineer
Home Owners Association

Coyote wrote:Word on the street... The boystown project is attractive all the tenants Crossroads was courting. Expect little retail now at the Crossroads.
I had a feeling that might end up happening. Damn shame, this project had so much potential
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

Honestly at this point I really don't care what goes in there. I almost would rather have a big Central Park than a bunch of meh apartment buildings and offices.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

bbinks wrote:
If these rumors are true, then yes.. The bulk of Crossroads parking will obviously be dedicated to Target.. That said, there will always be small niche retailers who have found, and will continue to find a home at the Crossroads development.. It's too prime of a retail area for it to go by the waste-side of greenspace as some have insinuated..

And in the end, who knows.. Maybe the Crossroads redevelopment plan will come to fruition..although I'm not holding my breath...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

Developer will probably wait for a mayor who won't tell them no when asking the city to pay for a sizable part of the project.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

Honestly with the rise of all of the online retailers these days I'm surprised at the amount of retail space a lot of developments are building.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:
bbinks wrote:
If these rumors are true, then yes.. The bulk of Crossroads parking will obviously be dedicated to Target.. That said, there will always be small niche retailers who have found, and will continue to find a home at the Crossroads development.. It's too prime of a retail area for it to go by the waste-side of greenspace as some have insinuated..

And in the end, who knows.. Maybe the Crossroads redevelopment plan will come to fruition..although I'm not holding my breath...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Frankly, I am to the point where if Yates thinks it is such a gamble to develop, then sell it to someone else who will. I don't need to see anything fancy there. The other strip malls in the area don't seem to be struggling. Let's just start enjoying the property again. Make it useful.
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

I'm still POd that we never got the European Village. Frankly I think it would fit in this area nicely.

Seriously, this horse died years ago. It's not even fun beating it anymore.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

choke wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:
bbinks wrote:

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Frankly, I am to the point where if Yates thinks it is such a gamble to develop, then sell it to someone else who will. I don't need to see anything fancy there. The other strip malls in the area don't seem to be struggling. Let's just start enjoying the property again. Make it useful.
Yeah, I completely agree..

And like Novak said, this horse probably died years ago.. Sailed away with the ship...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

Ok, folks. Pick your winner. Which happens first?

1) ANYTHING to do with Crossroads
2) New Kansas City International airport terminal
3) Trump releases his tax returns for ANY year

I was going to put a new Des Moines airport terminal but that actually has a chance of happening. The other three, in MY opinion, have no chance.