Omaha's Henry Doorly Zoo and Aquarium

Omaha's dining, arts and music scene

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

nebugeater
City Council

Re: Omaha's Henry Doorly Zoo and Aquarium

Post by nebugeater »

skinzfan23 wrote:Wow that is crazy for a mid-February day! I am off on Monday and planning on taking the kids, hopefully not that busy then.

It will likely be worse as the weather will still be nice and it is a Holiday for many people.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

A total of 13,990 people visited the zoo yesterday. That has to be equal or more than some summer days.
kb97
New to the Neighborhood

Post by kb97 »

Here are some iPhone photos I took of the progress on the Adventure Trails yesterday, they seem to be moving along well. First time posting so here http://imgur.com/a/iifDc is the album link if they don't show up correctly

{Admin Edit: We corrected the links for you}

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

The Omaha Zoo now has a Baby Gorilla.
Omaha Zoo on Twitter wrote:Image
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

USA Today has a poll out for best zoo. HDZ is currently #1.
nebraska
Library Board

Post by nebraska »

Just voted.

I'm going on the 17th for the first time in maybe 10 years (whenever the Hubbard was under construction). The place will seem about 50% new to me, so I better pace myself walking around.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

nebraska wrote: I'm going on the 17th for the first time in maybe 10 years (whenever the Hubbard was under construction). The place will seem about 50% new to me, so I better pace myself walking around.
LOL, it will seem way more new that that! Even areas that aren't new have really been spruced up in the past few years. I think you will be amazed at the transformation.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

HR Paperstacks wrote:USA Today has a poll out for best zoo. HDZ is currently #1.
Well, I just cast my vote for HDZ :thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Voted. Also, make sure to buy your Zoo season passes now, they go up in price the closer to summer it gets.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

HR Paperstacks wrote:USA Today has a poll out for best zoo. HDZ is currently #1.
We've moved down to #2 :(
Remember, you can vote once a day!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

1 year later, elephants have made Omaha zoo their home – but staff doesn't want them to lose their wild side

http://www.omaha.com/living/zoo/year-la ... f9e98.html
By Chris Peters / World-Herald staff writer wrote:In the year since elephants arrived at Omaha’s zoo, they have grown into a unified social group, and each elephant is further along in training than zoo officials expected them to be at this point.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Here are a few pictures from the World Herald of the new exhibit:

Amphitheater:

Windows inside the building with animals that are native to Nebraska:
Spatial77
Home Owners Association

Post by Spatial77 »

Looks like the Zoo is moving ahead with the Asian Highlands exhibit. The site plan review was approved last fall (although the city permits site does not show it as done). A World Hearld article from Feb. 26 noted "Construction of the next big exhibit of the master plan, the Asian Highlans, is scheduled to start this spring."

The other big clue is that the Zoofari 2017 scheduled for September 15, 2017, is titled "Night of the Tiger".
"Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future." -- Niels Bohr
Spatial77
Home Owners Association

Post by Spatial77 »

And so it begins: Plumbing permit pulled last Wednesday for storm sewers. First inspection done today "3/20/2017 40 foot of 18 inch SDR sleeved under track of Asian adventures. 40 foot of 8 inch PVC for panda enclosure from manhole tap." By the way the "panda" would be Red Panda (Ailurus fulgens), not the iconic Giant Panda.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

HR Paperstacks wrote:
We've moved down to #2 :(
Remember, you can vote once a day!

Less than 2 hours to vote.

Greg
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

How do you see current voting numbers on the poll? I do not see anything and it was noted the Omaha zoo was down to #2 and I was looking for current live ranking
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

nebugeater wrote:How do you see current voting numbers on the poll? I do not see anything and it was noted the Omaha zoo was down to #2 and I was looking for current live ranking
I haven't voted for a few days but it used to show the ranking after you voted. Now it just states to check back on March 31st to see who won.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Yeah I think they are not going to show the rankings anymore until voting is over. Assuming this is to build "suspense."
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Greg S wrote:Yeah I think they are not going to show the rankings anymore until voting is over. Assuming this is to build "suspense."
That explains it. I think I will get by though and not have any sleepless nights because of it.
Spatial77
Home Owners Association

Post by Spatial77 »

Buildiding Permit pulled today for the solar pannel project by the safari camp area. Also, a certified of occupancy permit for the north entrance was applied for.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

Henry Doorly came in #2 for the USA Today’s 10Best Readers’ Choice awards. The fact that the San Diego Zoo came in so low makes me think that this poll was brigaded and not very accurate (I mean I kind of encouraged that as well, so...).

http://www.omaha.com/living/omaha-zoo-r ... 395d5.html
Blake Ursch / World-Herald staff writer wrote:1. Saint Louis Zoological Park, St. Louis

2. Henry Doorly Zoo & Aquarium, Omaha

3. Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum, Tucson, Arizona

4. Fort Worth Zoo, Fort Worth, Texas

5. Riverbanks Zoo & Garden, Columbia, South Carolina

6. Cheyenne Mountain Zoo, Colorado Springs, Colorado

7. San Diego Zoo, San Diego

8. Brookfield Zoo, Chicago

9. Audubon Zoo, New Orleans

10. Cleveland Metroparks Zoo, Cleveland
Spatial77
Home Owners Association

Post by Spatial77 »

The poll is an Internet poll based on multiple votes by mostly a local population base. It is a popularity contest, not a reflection of the subjective qualities that make a great zoo. It has been a bunch of years since I have been to the St. Louis zoo, and it was an outstanding zoo when I was there... probably still is. How many people who voted in the poll have been to the other zoos in the running? I am guessing not that many. Ultimately this poll is just a popularity contest of how many people got on line to vote for "the home team".

On another note: the Zoofari fund raising event in September is sold out! I guess the folks who didn't get tickets to the event will have to figure out other ways to give their money to HDZ. Not a bad problem to have!
Professor Woland
Library Board

Post by Professor Woland »

Spatial77 wrote:The poll is an Internet poll based on multiple votes by mostly a local population base. It is a popularity contest, not a reflection of the subjective qualities that make a great zoo. It has been a bunch of years since I have been to the St. Louis zoo, and it was an outstanding zoo when I was there... probably still is. How many people who voted in the poll have been to the other zoos in the running? I am guessing not that many. Ultimately this poll is just a popularity contest of how many people got on line to vote for "the home team".

On another note: the Zoofari fund raising event in September is sold out! I guess the folks who didn't get tickets to the event will have to figure out other ways to give their money to HDZ. Not a bad problem to have!
My wife and I were able to go to Zoofari in 2013. We clearly didn't belong, but scored an invite due to a friend in the fundraising office. It was incredible seeing people and organizations forking over tens and hundreds of thousands of dollars. Unfortunately for us, we lack the necessary skills to become wealthy, so that was probably our last Zoofari experience.
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

Spatial77 wrote:The poll is an Internet poll based on multiple votes by mostly a local population base. It is a popularity contest, not a reflection of the subjective qualities that make a great zoo. It has been a bunch of years since I have been to the St. Louis zoo, and it was an outstanding zoo when I was there... probably still is. How many people who voted in the poll have been to the other zoos in the running? I am guessing not that many. Ultimately this poll is just a popularity contest of how many people got on line to vote for "the home team".

The type of people that are so bored or spaced out or what ever that they are sitting on the net stuffing the ballot box to rig some bogus poll or like the American Idol geeks who waste time calling in to vote for their favorite contestant :roll: These kind of people live on another planet then me. I have never once wasted my time participating in any of that nonsense. Yes I need a life but not quite that bad!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Lied Jungle — created 25 years ago — has been a catalyst for growth at Omaha zoo

http://www.omaha.com/living/zoo/lied-ju ... 7098a.html
By Chris Peters / World-Herald staff writer wrote:The Lied Jungle gave Omahans and tourists another reason to visit the Henry Doorly Zoo & Aquarium year-round, and it provided national exposure unlike any exhibit before. Once rated in the periphery of the top 20 by those who compile zoo rankings, the zoo was catapulted by the jungle exhibit toward the top five, where it remains today.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

After we left the gardens yesterday we went over to the Zoo. Place was packed but it was about 2pm so we snagged a spot right by the door from someone that was leaving. Looked like most of the trees have been removed for the new Asian Highlands exhibit. Trail along the east side of the Aviary is now all closed off too.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Brad wrote:After we left the gardens yesterday we went over to the Zoo. Place was packed but it was about 2pm so we snagged a spot right by the door from someone that was leaving. Looked like most of the trees have been removed for the new Asian Highlands exhibit. Trail along the east side of the Aviary is now all closed off too.
I saw that as well when I was there this week, looks like they strategically kept some trees as well, they are definitely not wasting time on this project though.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

http://www.omaha.com/living/zoo/live-co ... 9f11c.html

New pictures of the new Asian Highland exhibit, looks really cool.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

The eight-acre, $20 million exhibit is being built in an area in the northeast corner of the zoo on a previously undeveloped hillside beyond the Simmons Aviary.

The zoo expects to open the exhibit in two parts. Red panda, Indian rhino, Père David’s Deer, crane and tufted deer habitats are scheduled to open in summer 2018. New displays for sloth bear, Amur tiger, snow leopard and takin, as well as a children’s trail with concessions and a rest area, will be completed by summer 2019.
Here are the renderings:

http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews ... .image.jpg
Last edited by skinzfan23 on Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Between this and the new African part, the zoo really seems to be either or both influenced by and resembling Animal Kingdom at Disney. And that's a very good thing in my book.

Greg
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_corn_burner »

Greg S wrote:Between this and the new African part, the zoo really seems to be either or both influenced by and resembling Animal Kingdom at Disney. And that's a very good thing in my book.

Greg
I was thinking it is starting to look just like the Taipei Zoo (which is a good thing in my book).
OmahaFan
Home Owners Association

Post by OmahaFan »

I think this is great for the Omaha Zoo! I can't wait to see it completed. Truly amazing what they are doing with the zoo! Would be nice if they could give the zoo more land to expand on. I bet if you gave them a bigger land piece they could way more thing's with it!
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_corn_burner »

OmahaFan wrote:I think this is great for the Omaha Zoo! I can't wait to see it completed. Truly amazing what they are doing with the zoo! Would be nice if they could give the zoo more land to expand on. I bet if you gave them a bigger land piece they could way more thing's with it!
Uhhhhh, really?

I guess you forgot about Rosenblatt Stadium?
TourismLover
New to the Neighborhood

Post by TourismLover »

It's funny because they got more land and turned it into a parking lot, yet they had to destroy part of their existing parking lot to build adventure education.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

They own more houses and vacant lots in the adjoining neighborhood than many realise. Over time as the Tetris pieces fill in with their purchase they will have more room.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

TourismLover wrote:It's funny because they got more land and turned it into a parking lot, yet they had to destroy part of their existing parking lot to build adventure education.
Don't forget they took over the Nebraska Tourism lot and also made more parking there.
nebugeater wrote:They own more houses and vacant lots in the adjoining neighborhood than many realise. Over time as the Tetris pieces fill in with their purchase they will have more room.
HDZ has many visiting post grad education students who live in quite a few of those houses. HDZ is going to incorporate more education opportunities in the near future. All these new exhibit developments are great... But wait until these education components come to fruition. It will make more of a national impression than the exhibits... Not to mention the possibility of a HS there...
OmahaFan
Home Owners Association

Post by OmahaFan »

Regarding the land I understand that they did get the land where the Old ballpark was at and made it into a parking lot which they needed to do Kinda wish they invested that land into a Parking garage so you would have more land to expand on. Heck they could have built a 7 to 5 story car garage.
OmahaOmaha
Home Owners Association

Post by OmahaOmaha »

If only people would take buses, trolley's, streetcars, and high speed rail to the zoo, we wouldn't need parking lots...blah, blah, blah. Seriously, when you get over 2 million visitors a year, you're going to need big parking lots. To those of you who want a big parking garage instead, I suggest you open up your check book and write a check out to the zoo for millions of dollars and maybe they will build one for you. Make the check big enough and they may even name the parking structure after you. Problem solved.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Rhino Building plans being submitted.
Spatial77
Home Owners Association

Post by Spatial77 »

Coyote wrote:Rhino Building plans being submitted.

I saw that too. $9 million building. I don't know if you caught it when they announced the Asian Highlands project that the Zoo project manager said that the Master Plan is 100% funded and that they would be opening a new exhibit, or portion of a new exhibit form now through 2024. He said the Master Plan would be totally completed in 2025.

I talked with someone at the Zoo a few years ago and they said they were already putting together ideas for the next master plan.