Mercantile (Conagra campus development)

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Mercantile (Conagra campus development)

Post by Guest »

A company is going to be announcing plans for the Conagra campus soon. The development is going to be very good for downtown.
bmt
Home Owners Association

Re: Conagra campus development plans

Post by bmt »

What area of the Conagra campus are you hearing?
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

So excited!
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

I'm guess you're not talking about 29 or 33 story high rises?
15-17, 26, 32
PotatoeEatsFish
Human Relations

Post by PotatoeEatsFish »

Guest wrote:A company is going to be announcing plans for the Conagra campus soon. The development is going to be very good for downtown.
Sunday?
:;):
#SaveTheUglyGrainSilos2024
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

I'm excited. Still waiting...
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
Midwestern
Home Owners Association

Post by Midwestern »

There's definitely no need to tear down any of the ConAgra buildings in the near future, but I think it would make the current buildings way more attractive to potential office tenants if a developer built some mixed-use stuff from just north of Embassy Suites all the way up to 10th & Farnam in order to better weave the buildings into the urban fabric. You'd have the urban amenities right to your doorstep on the west, and on the east a beautiful lake with walking paths.
guest101

Post by guest101 »

Guest wrote:A company is going to be announcing plans for the Conagra campus soon. The development is going to be very good for downtown.
guest102

Post by guest102 »

You can't polish a turd. What was good for downtown was for CONagra to keep its headquarters in Omaha. Nothing can make up for what Omaha lost with CONagra leaving. It didn't need to leave either. It is still BS!
Joe_Sovereign
Library Board

Post by Joe_Sovereign »

The city's plan needs to be rebuild the street grid even if this involves tearing down several of the Con Agra buildings. Embassy Suites and some of the current buildings fit in a new Street Grid. The rest of the area you could open up for mixed use development connecting the Old Market to the park and the lake.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

guest102 wrote:
You can't polish a turd. What was good for downtown was for CONagra to keep its headquarters in Omaha. Nothing can make up for what Omaha lost with CONagra leaving. It didn't need to leave either. It is still BS!
Architecturally, we'd be much better off today if they had left back in 1988....before they built their new suburban campus downtown.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

GetUrban wrote:
guest102 wrote:
Architecturally, we'd be much better off today if they had left back in 1988....before they built their new suburban campus downtown.
I realize you are a Jobbers Canyon fan. The net effect would have been a bunch of empty offices at Lonergan lake north of Omaha. And the fire traps that were the Jobbers Canyon.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

bigredmed wrote:
GetUrban wrote:
guest102 wrote:
I realize you are a Jobbers Canyon fan. The net effect would have been a bunch of empty offices at Lonergan lake north of Omaha. And the fire traps that were the Jobbers Canyon.
Yes. I am.

Except the net effect would be we'd still have 22 historic buildings with over 1.7 million square feet of space occupied with 1500-2500 people living, working, eating, drinking, etc., in a truly spectacular historic district. There still would have been room for HOA park and more connections to the riverfront from the Old Market. You might have noticed almost every single available building near the Old Market has been re-purposed over the last 30 years. Just look at how many people are living in the area now.

FYI, although some of the warehouses were wood, many of the post-1900 buildings were all concrete & masonry construction. The wood ones were of heavy timber construction, which typically had a 3-hour fire rating. All of them would have been upgraded with automatic fire sprinkler systems when they were gradually re-purposed over the last 30 years.
Last edited by GetUrban on Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

Sooooooooo, how about that corporate annoumcement??
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

RNcyanide wrote:Sooooooooo, how about that corporate annoumcement??
60-90 days
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

bigredmed wrote:
GetUrban wrote:
guest102 wrote:
You do realize some of the Jobber buildings are still standing and they aren't fire traps, right?

Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Linkin5 wrote:
bigredmed wrote:
GetUrban wrote:
guest102 wrote:

You do realize some of the Jobber buildings are still standing and they aren't fire traps, right?
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

At the YP Summit today, the mayor said Conagra has plans for the campus and she was impressed with them. Didn't give any more details though.
buildomaha
Human Relations

Post by buildomaha »

HR Paperstacks wrote:At the YP Summit today, the mayor said Conagra has plans for the campus and she was impressed with them. Didn't give any more details though.
She's been saying that for a minute now. Would love if ConAgra would release their plans soon!
#gohawks
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

buildomaha wrote:
HR Paperstacks wrote:At the YP Summit today, the mayor said Conagra has plans for the campus and she was impressed with them. Didn't give any more details though.
She's been saying that for a minute now. Would love if ConAgra would release their plans soon!
Yeah, for a couple months now, but nothing has been released yet...
Joe_Sovereign
Library Board

Post by Joe_Sovereign »

Coyote wrote:
buildomaha wrote:
Con Agra no longer owns most of the Con Agra campus. They are leaseholders. The sold large chucks of the land to multiple other groups years ago to generate revenue.

I find it 100% credible that there are plans being developed to develop the Con Agra Campus. I find it very hard to believe that it is Con Agra behind the plans.
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

Joe_Sovereign wrote:
Coyote wrote:
buildomaha wrote:
Con Agra no longer owns most of the Con Agra campus. They are leaseholders. The sold large chucks of the land to multiple other groups years ago to generate revenue.

I find it 100% credible that there are plans being developed to develop the Con Agra Campus. I find it very hard to believe that it is Con Agra behind the plans.
This is mostly incorrect. Com Agra owns most of the campus, and even bought a couple back in the past couple years to control the entire site.
Joe_Sovereign
Library Board

Post by Joe_Sovereign »

OmahaJaysCU wrote:
Joe_Sovereign wrote:
Coyote wrote:
buildomaha wrote:

This is mostly incorrect. Com Agra owns most of the campus, and even bought a couple back in the past couple years to control the entire site.
I was basing my info on stories that came out when they announced they were moving their headquarters. Apparently they have bought some additional pieces back since then.
tpaine
New to the Neighborhood

Post by tpaine »

Joe_Sovereign wrote:
OmahaJaysCU wrote:
Joe_Sovereign wrote:
Coyote wrote:
buildomaha wrote:

I was basing my info on stories that came out when they announced they were moving their headquarters. Apparently they have bought some additional pieces back since then.
This article may be helpful:

http://www.omaha.com/money/conagra-s-mi ... 96c91.html
OmahaOmaha
Home Owners Association

Post by OmahaOmaha »

According to a very reliable source, a redevelopment plan for the Conagra campus, know to some as "Project Canyon", will be announced this coming week. It will include a large mix of retail and office space, hundreds of apartments, and a hotel (this one is going to be HUGE for Omaha and VERY good for the Old Market). When I asked if this was going to change the Omaha skyline, the answer was "definitely".
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Believe it when I see it. Hoping the rumor is even half true, however.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

OmahaOmaha wrote:According to a very reliable source, a redevelopment plan for the Conagra campus, know to some as "Project Canyon", will be announced this coming week. It will include a large mix of retail and office space, hundreds of apartments, and a hotel (this one is going to be HUGE for Omaha and VERY good for the Old Market). When I asked if this was going to change the Omaha skyline, the answer was "definitely".
April Fools?
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

nativeomahan wrote:
OmahaOmaha wrote:According to a very reliable source, a redevelopment plan for the Conagra campus, know to some as "Project Canyon", will be announced this coming week. It will include a large mix of retail and office space, hundreds of apartments, and a hotel (this one is going to be HUGE for Omaha and VERY good for the Old Market). When I asked if this was going to change the Omaha skyline, the answer was "definitely".
April Fools?
If so, this would be borderline inhumane.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

RNcyanide wrote:
nativeomahan wrote:
April Fools?
Should we estimate the odds now? Where is Novak when we need him?
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

Garrett wrote:
RNcyanide wrote:
nativeomahan wrote:
April Fools?
I hate this day. I'm sure OO is playing us.

The Bride
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

RNcyanide wrote:
Garrett wrote:
RNcyanide wrote:
nativeomahan wrote:
April Fools?
I hate this day. I'm sure OO is playing us.
Sure. It's the same plan Tetrad had for the old Civic site minus the hotel. And the hotel at the Capitol District got demoted by two floors. Plus the Capitol District still has office to build????? Don't see this happening.

Post by Guest »

Nothing is happening.. It is April 1st and this is the same mold of April Fools Joke every year.
ImmaHoe

Post by ImmaHoe »

Wait the mayoral election gets thight. Then Jean'll announce it.
OmahaOmaha
Home Owners Association

Post by OmahaOmaha »

Yeah, sorry. It was April Fools.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

OmahaOmaha wrote:Yeah, sorry. It was April Fools.
For shame!!

The Bride
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

http://www.omaha.com/money/susie-buffet ... 329a9.html
Three Susie Buffett-led organizations are moving from midtown Omaha’s Kiewit Plaza — home also to Warren Buffett’s Berkshire Hathaway — to a piece of the downtown riverfront campus.

Buffett said she and the staff are excited about their future digs in a former Conagra building, which offers more than twice the space they occupy in the headquarters building of Kiewit Corp.

“It was just perfect for us,” Buffett told The World-Herald on Monday. “It’s beautiful. That area is nice: on the water, lots of trees.”

Of course, the philanthropist and billionaire’s daughter conceded, there is a downside.

“I am sorry to be leaving my father,” she said, adding: “We’re trying to do the best job we can with his money and my mother’s money.”

The new home — about 60,000 square feet on two floors of 808 Conagra Drive — allows for future growth of the Sherwood Foundation, the Susan Thompson Buffett Foundation (named after Susie’s late mother) and the Buffett Early Childhood Fund.

The collective team of about 60 employees is expected to relocate at year’s end.

In the meantime, architectural design and renovations will tailor the new space to the foundations’ needs, said CBRE/Mega President Bennett Ginsberg, who represented Susie Buffett in the search. Kiewit spokesman Bob Kula said vacant space in Kiewit Plaza is typically filled from within the company
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

Wait, so did Berkshire Hathaway not move to the OWH Building then??

The Bride
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

RNcyanide wrote:Wait, so did Berkshire Hathaway not move to the OWH Building then??
That was National Indemnity, I believe. Berkshire used to be in their old mid-century modern building at Turner Blvd/Harney before they moved to Kiewit Plaza. Berkshire owns Nat'l Indemnity though...if that's what you were thinking.

Somewhat disappointing they found a new tenant for an old ConAgra HQ building. I was hoping that land would be freed-up for urban development. But maybe having Susie right there will accelerate something better coming in to replace the terrible waste of space of flag-lined colonnades and vacant lots of grass.
Rush Limburger

Post by Rush Limburger »

GetUrban wrote:
RNcyanide wrote:Wait, so did Berkshire Hathaway not move to the OWH Building then??
That was National Indemnity, I believe. Berkshire used to be in their old mid-century modern building at Turner Blvd/Harney before they moved to Kiewit Plaza. Berkshire owns Nat'l Indemnity though...if that's what you were thinking.

Somewhat disappointing they found a new tenant for an old ConAgra HQ building. I was hoping that land would be freed-up for urban development. But maybe having Susie right there will accelerate something better coming in to replace the terrible waste of space of flag-lined colonnades and vacant lots of grass.
I think this is the best thing that could of happened. I would expect Susie Buffet to have some kind of influence on the campus getting developed, not to mention, I thought her foundation was involved in the Riverwalk development discussion as well?
hatwate
Library Board

Post by hatwate »

ImmaHoe wrote:Wait the mayoral election gets thight. Then Jean'll announce it.
At a debate at the Omaha Press Club today, Mayor Stothert said the Conagra plan would be announced in June.