Creighton Basketball 2016-2017

Metro area and region sports discussion

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Coyote
City Council

Re: Creighton Basketball 2016-2017

Post by Coyote »

How many lay ups did CU miss? They looked so out of it from the very beginning, it was embarrassing.
Only good to come out of the game was Harrell looking good at PG.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

Didn't see the game I was driving but a friend posted this

Retweeted Matt DeMarinis (@mjdemarinis):
Some staggering stats from this game ...
1. Creighton missed 11 of 17 layups.
2. Rhode Island scored on 14 of their final 17 possessions.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Honestly, the Jays played one of their worst games of the season. Horrible shooting and as was pointed out by Coyote, Uffda etc.. 11 of 17 layups missed..

As distressing, JP played weak, tentative and ended up fouling out. Marcus kept forcing up jumpers and missed at least 3 easy layups on his own. It's one thing to perform like this against Villanova.. But against Rhode Island? C'mon. No disrespect meant to them, but C'MON..

A bad, embarrassing loss. Out played, coached and hustled. The trifecta...

But as MadMartin stated, there is much to look forward to for next season.. JP needs at least another year in college and honestly, Foster is too inconsistent at this point to bolt to the professional level...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
jag42
Library Board

Post by jag42 »

Another first round exit for CU.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Not a good end to a once promising season...looking at the 18-1 start, you have to argue that this is the most depressing season in Creighton history.

The thing I hated about today's game is that Creighton didn't bring anything. Ronnie was the only guy who played with any sort of consistency and even he had 4 turnovers. I would have at least like to see some fight in the players, but it just wasn't there at all.

It sounds like a broken record, but why can't Creighton ever get one of those 20 pt wins in the tournament. Even the games they have won have been very close. The biggest win that I can remember point-wise was against Lafayette by 10, and even that game was no calk walk. For whatever reason they always seem to look shell-shocked when tournament play starts. It just seems so surprising b/c they play well during most of the regular season and even in the conference tournaments but once the NCAA's come around, different story.
twiztid1
Home Owners Association

Post by twiztid1 »

A big part of Creighton's lack of tournament success is they're too dependent on scoring, especially jump shots. By the end of the season, their legs are gone which causes poor shooting. This season's emphasis on transition offense made it worse. Patton and Foster didn't even have legs to finish layups today. Late in the game, Patton missed an easy lay in when he should have thrown it down instead.

Jays have to learn how to play defense and rebound. Those are the keys to championships. Sometimes, shots just don't fall. Good defense turns into good offense too.

It would also help if Mac took his starters out of games earlier.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

twiztid1 wrote:A big part of Creighton's lack of tournament success is they're too dependent on scoring, especially jump shots. By the end of the season, their legs are gone which causes poor shooting. This season's emphasis on transition offense made it worse. Patton and Foster didn't even have legs to finish layups today. Late in the game, Patton missed an easy lay in when he should have thrown it down instead.

Jays have to learn how to play defense and rebound. Those are the keys to championships. Sometimes, shots just don't fall. Good defense turns into good offense too.

Spot on!
No posts exist for this topic
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

MadMartin8 wrote:
twiztid1 wrote:A big part of Creighton's lack of tournament success is they're too dependent on scoring, especially jump shots. By the end of the season, their legs are gone which causes poor shooting. This season's emphasis on transition offense made it worse. Patton and Foster didn't even have legs to finish layups today. Late in the game, Patton missed an easy lay in when he should have thrown it down instead.

Spot on!
I'm no expert, but aren't all teams dependent on scoring to win? lol. Unless they don't allow the other team to score, of course. But seriously, I think that's why RI won...because of their defense.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

GetUrban wrote:
MadMartin8 wrote:

Spot on!
I'm no expert, but aren't all teams dependent on scoring to win? lol.
Except in the 5th quarter when it turns into a scoring system like golf of course.

I'm pretty sure Twiztid was referring to the fact that Creighton is too dependent on simply fast scoring strikes, relying on high shooting percentages and simply hoping to win a game based on that. They need to learn to be able to handle teams that like to, and can, slow the game down and grind out wins with defense.
twiztid1
Home Owners Association

Post by twiztid1 »

GetUrban wrote:

I'm no expert, but aren't all teams dependent on scoring to win? lol. Unless they don't allow the other team to score, of course. But seriously, I think that's why RI won...because of their defense.
Literally speaking, yes. But when Creighton's shots aren't falling, they have no answer because their mentality is to score in bunches. Their best defense is to basically score teams into panicking and taking bad shots. It hurts their defensive rebounding too. When Doug was here, they pretty much just stood straight up on the defensive end as to not risk picking up fouls.

It's always a matter of time until the Jays go cold. If they were a defense first team, they could get through poor shooting. They would physically be tougher. Most importantly, defense doesn't quit. And their transition offense is more effective when they can get stops.
Nick808402
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Nick808402 »

Great point about Mac not pulling starters earlier. He didn't go to the end of the bench even in blowout double digit wins until the last 2 min.
Losing Zierden, Huff, and Hanson is going to be tough. Veterans who contributed solid minutes.

Going to be interesting to see how position battles play out. I think we have a very full roster of guys who can play. Hopefully it benefits everyone and we get fierce starting 5 with a great bench rotation. Wouldn't be surprised to see Paras bolt off to some school where he could possibly see more playing time. Kid has potential but he looks like an idiot on the court whenever I've seen him play (lost on both defense and offense for most of the year). Mac should have redshirted him.
Clement is only a Jr btw, but I don't think he'll see any minutes with Mintz and Joseph rotating at PG.

Starting 5 prediction, if Foster and Patton stay
Joseph - Thomas - Foster - Hegner - Patton
If they go
Joseph - Thomas - Harrell - Hegner - Dunkum/Epperson
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Well, Wichita State just lost.. And even though CU has moved up to the Big East conference, this event always puts a smile on this Bluejay fans face :thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:Well, Wichita State just lost.. And even though CU has moved up to the Big East conference, this event always puts a smile on this Bluejay fans face :thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Yes I agree, if Wichita would have won, not only would I have hated that they would be in the Sweet 16, but they would have killed my bracket as well.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

skinzfan23 wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:Well, Wichita State just lost.. And even though CU has moved up to the Big East conference, this event always puts a smile on this Bluejay fans face :thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Yes I agree, if Wichita would have won, not only would I have hated that they would be in the Sweet 16, but they would have killed my bracket as well.
How did Duke and Villanova losing affect your brackets?...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Duke not so much, but Nova shot almost every bracket up.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Duke had a much bigger effect in ours.

Greg
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

I had 'Nova in the final 4.. I thought Duke would reach the Elite 8..

I'm pretty much shot too...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Reports say Foster is coming back next year.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Coyote wrote:Reports say Foster is coming back next year.
Glad to hear, but I think most expected this since Foster isn't really projected to go high in the draft if at all. Another year of development will really help him.

Can't wait to hear about Patton, but I figure it might be a month or two yet.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

skinzfan23 wrote:Can't wait to hear about Patton, but I figure it might be a month or two yet.
I'm sure he will submit his name and tests the waters, and he could get plenty of coin to sit on the bench, but he needs to bulk up and learn some D. I hope he realizes that...
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Coyote wrote:
skinzfan23 wrote:Can't wait to hear about Patton, but I figure it might be a month or two yet.
I'm sure he will submit his name and tests the waters, and he could get plenty of coin to sit on the bench, but he needs to bulk up and learn some D. I hope he realizes that...
Glad to see Foster back. I think going out the way he did last week in the tournament left a bad taste in his mouth.. I'd hope JP feels the same way. He left absolutely ZERO impression on college basketball's biggest stage.. Even more than Marcus, JP would benefit GREATLY from another year playing college basketball...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Sounds like the last day for Patton to make a decision is May 24th, which is the NCAA deadline.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

skinzfan23 wrote:Sounds like the last day for Patton to make a decision is May 24th, which is the NCAA deadline.
He can undeclare if he does not hire an agent.
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

skinzfan23 wrote:
Coyote wrote:Reports say Foster is coming back next year.
Glad to hear, but I think most expected this since Foster isn't really projected to go high in the draft if at all. Another year of development will really help him.

Can't wait to hear about Patton, but I figure it might be a month or two yet.

They say if Patton goes in the draft he has a good chance of getting picked 10th to 20th. If that is the case he has to go in my opinion. Is he ready for the Pros? No way! But he wasn't ready for college yet either. Against Rhode Island he looked like some kid who had just got out of high school last year. He needs a lot more practice and if the pros are willing to gamble millions that hes going to develop then he should take the money and run. To risky to stay at Creighton.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Xavier upsets Zona. Wow, where did this come from?
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Love Coach Mac's response to Justin Patton announcing that Tyler Clement is coming back for his senior season:

Coach McDermott
@cucoachmac

I will finally be able to sleep tonight. Welcome back @TylerClement_11 !! twitter.com/JustinPatton17…
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

An update on recruit Brian Bowen:

http://www.scout.com/college/basketball ... recruiting
How’s the recruiting process going?
It’s going really good. I feel like I’ve handled it really well and in April I’m definitely going to make my decision, I’m not sure what day or not but I just took my time with it really. It’s the biggest decision I’ve ever made in my life coming up so you know I really wanted to take my time getting to know coaching staffs and everything and go form there.

Does Creighton getting Jacob Epperson factor into this deal?
Oh yeah, that’s big time. Knowing somebody at a college personally, it’s definitely big time. He’s even been talking in my ear a lot lately and the coaching staff has been talking about him a lot. I have grown to know their guys that they have had committed, you know they’re all great guys, so it means a lot.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Patrick Ewing to coach Georgetown?
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

MadMartin8 wrote:Patrick Ewing to coach Georgetown?

This guy has a pretty gnarly reputation that you would think would make him unsuitable to be leading young college students. First there is the known fact that he cheated on his wife pretty openly for years before she finally divorced him. Then there is that infamous story about Ewing being one of the NBA players who frequented a mob connected Atlanta strip club for numerous sexual encounters and when he got called into court he testified that he did not think it was prostitution since the club did not charge him anything for the sex acts. :roll:
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Patton will announce this week he is entering the NBA Draft. He is predicted going at #17.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Just reading his announcement... darn! Was hoping for another year.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Good for him, get that money son!
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Good luck to Justin....I was hoping we had one more year to see him in a Creighton uniform, but I can't blame him. Hopefully we are able to get a decent replacement for him. We have the transfer, Sam Dunkam, who I believe is eligible for the 2nd semester and we also have Jacob Epperson, who is the Australian big man from the same prep team as Brian Bowen.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

While he probably isn't ready, the call of the money might of been too much to avoid. Best of luck to him at the next level, and next man up. This turn of events may help with Bowen, and there are a couple of stellar kids transferring from Memphis that I wouldn't mind getting.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

JP will missed. Thought he could use another year of play at the college level..

I wish him well...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Didn't know where else to put this, but a nice story on the Sudanese population and Ed Chang in Omaha.

REFUGEE HOOP DREAMS DO COME TRUE—RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF TRUMP'S AMERICA
Thousands of South Sudanese refugees arrived in Omaha in the late 1990s, attracted to Nebraska’s largest city because of its abundance of factory work and cheap housing. An enclave formed, centered in public housing in South Omaha. Now an estimated 15,000 former residents of South Sudan live in Omaha, which makes it the largest Sudanese population outside of Africa.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Most dunks in 2016-17 (per Florida State research):

183 Florida State
179 Kentucky
159 Florida Gulf Coast
153 USC
144 CREIGHTON
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Jacob Epperson officially signed today.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

skinzfan23 wrote:Jacob Epperson officially signed today.

Now just need Bowen!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Nice! I see a redshirt and hours in the weight room and cafeteria.