2016 Most Popular Nebraska Attractions

Discussion of current events, news, the latest happenings in Omaha

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

skinzfan23
City Council

2016 Most Popular Nebraska Attractions

Post by skinzfan23 »

Nebraska attractions drew more than 20 million visitors in 2016, with Omaha zoo topping the list
The top 10 Nebraska attractions in 2016

1. Omaha’s Henry Doorly Zoo & Aquarium, 2,046,171

2. Lake McConaughy State Recreation Area, 1,366,863

3. Branched Oak State Recreation Area, 1,290,856

4. Eugene T. Mahoney State Park, 1,226,224

5. CenturyLink Center Omaha, 1,000,000

6. Wagon Train State Recreation Area, 952,625

7. Ponca State Park, 946,513

8. Fremont State Recreation Area, 891,000

9. Platte River State Park, 846,932

10. Pawnee State Recreation Area, 807,065
Full List: Attraction Attendance 2016
Last edited by skinzfan23 on Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stargazer
County Board

Re: 2016 Most Popular Nebraska Attractions

Post by Stargazer »

I remember a simpler time, when Harold Warp's Pioneer Village was our #1 attraction.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

Stargazer wrote:I remember a simpler time, when Harold Warp's Pioneer Village was our #1 attraction.
Seriously I think Broncos is alot more famous then some of those places on that list.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

How come they don't count the Old Market as an Attraction anymore? Didn't it use to be in the top 10?
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

I also didn't notice Vala's on the list either. I know that they usually have around 200,000 annually, it used to be #3 in attendance for non-state park sites.

In the World Herald article this past fall about the new exhibits, it stated that they were anticipating 250,000 - 300,000, which could have pushed it to #2 ahead of the Omaha Children's Museum.
EastCB
Library Board

Post by EastCB »

I also didn't see the Lauritzen Gardens on the list.
yellowcolumbia
Home Owners Association

Post by yellowcolumbia »

"Only attractions that reported their attendance to the Nebraska Tourism Commission are listed."
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

I find these state park numbers a little hard to believe. Mahoney State Park for example... that's over 3,000 a day, 365 days per year. Come on, do they have counters on the women's bathroom door perhaps? I'd bet during this time of year, they see no more than a couple hundred on a given day, which would leave the peak tourist months at far more than 3,000 a day, with 168 total campsites/lodge rooms/cabins... put 4 people in each of those, that's only 700 on site, the thousands more apparently driving in daily, just to skate/swim/horseback ride/climb the tower/ride a paddle boat?

I think Harold Warp needs to cry foul.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Mahoney does excellent during the summer months. I have been out there and campground is completely full as well as the cabins.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Cabins are hard to book, they built more but are still in high demand...
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

Stargazer wrote:I find these state park numbers a little hard to believe. Mahoney State Park for example... that's over 3,000 a day, 365 days per year. Come on, do they have counters on the women's bathroom door perhaps? I'd bet during this time of year, they see no more than a couple hundred on a given day, which would leave the peak tourist months at far more than 3,000 a day, with 168 total campsites/lodge rooms/cabins... put 4 people in each of those, that's only 700 on site, the thousands more apparently driving in daily, just to skate/swim/horseback ride/climb the tower/ride a paddle boat?

Mahoney is very busy and is either 1 or 2 in overall statewide visitor #s. Not sure about the 3000/day, but I have been there when the picnic areas are all full and the restaurant is full. Lots of brief visits.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

A lot of organizations book conferences and meetings at Mahoney. I attended multiple continuing educations classes there during a previous job. It was no Old Country Buffet, but there's an eating area in the building, and an all you can eat lunch was always part of the gig whenever I went.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

bigredmed wrote:
Stargazer wrote:I find these state park numbers a little hard to believe. Mahoney State Park for example... that's over 3,000 a day, 365 days per year. Come on, do they have counters on the women's bathroom door perhaps? I'd bet during this time of year, they see no more than a couple hundred on a given day, which would leave the peak tourist months at far more than 3,000 a day, with 168 total campsites/lodge rooms/cabins... put 4 people in each of those, that's only 700 on site, the thousands more apparently driving in daily, just to skate/swim/horseback ride/climb the tower/ride a paddle boat?

Mahoney is very busy and is either 1 or 2 in overall statewide visitor #s. Not sure about the 3000/day, but I have been there when the picnic areas are all full and the restaurant is full. Lots of brief visits.
I guarantee that during the summer they go over 3k. In high school, I worked at the pool and we passed 2k admissions to the pool alone on good days.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Again, I don't doubt they go over 3,000 during the 'nice' months... maybe even a few weekdays. But to attain these numbers, they need to see over 3,000 -every- day of the year (and let's face it, during the summer, the pool is the -main- attraction).

There are accommodations on site which would allow for maybe 700, assuming average stay of 4 per room/pad. That would mean the vast majority are driving in every day as well.

It just doesn't add up (note the 'precise' numbers as well.. and how exactly do they come up with those? ;) most the time I drive through the gate at Mahoney, there's not even an attendee there).
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Stargazer wrote:Again, I don't doubt they go over 3,000 during the 'nice' months... maybe even a few weekdays. But to attain these numbers, they need to see over 3,000 -every- day of the year (and let's face it, during the summer, the pool is the -main- attraction).

There are accommodations on site which would allow for maybe 700, assuming average stay of 4 per room/pad. That would mean the vast majority are driving in every day as well.

It just doesn't add up (note the 'precise' numbers as well.. and how exactly do they come up with those? ;) most the time I drive through the gate at Mahoney, there's not even an attendee there).
When are you going to Mahoney like two in the morning? Their front gate almost always has somebody there.