Omaha Local News Channels

Discussion of current events, news, the latest happenings in Omaha

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Which evening news do you watch the most (5p 6p 10p)

KMTV Channel 3 (No Cable/Dish)
2%
KMTV Channel 3 (With Cable/Dish)
4%
WOWT Channel 6 (No Cable/Dish)
4%
WOWT Channel 6 (With Cable/Dish)
21%
KETV Channel 7 (No Cable/Dish)
13%
KETV Channel 7 (With Cable/Dish)
31%
KPTM Channel 42 (No Cable/Dish)
1%
KPTM Channel 42 (With Cable/Dish)
2%
I don't watch Local News
13%
I don't have a TV
5%
I watch whatever channel it happens to be on
1%
I watch whatever the TV in the Bar is showing
5%

Total votes: 127

mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Re: Omaha Local News Channels

Post by mrsticka »

Hopefully, this blackout won't last too long. I know that if it continues into the fall, there will be lots of pi$$ed off Husker fans in Omaha. As you probably know, most Nebraska football games air on ABC, which KETV is the affiliate for in Omaha. So if they can't watch their team play, they'll be furious.

Now I used to be with Dish and I got the Omaha stations despite living in Lincoln. I guess now I'm glad I'm no longer with Dish because of this. Otherwise I wouldn't be able to watch "Wheel of Fortune". I don't understand why "Jeopardy!" airs on WOWT and "Wheel" on KETV. The only time they were both on the same station was back in the late 80's/early 90's when they aired on KMTV. Personally, if it were up to me, they'd still be on KMTV today.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

mrsticka wrote:Hopefully, this blackout won't last too long. I know that if it continues into the fall, there will be lots of pi$$ed off Husker fans in Omaha. As you probably know, most Nebraska football games air on ABC, which KETV is the affiliate for in Omaha. So if they can't watch their team play, they'll be furious.

Now I used to be with Dish and I got the Omaha stations despite living in Lincoln. I guess now I'm glad I'm no longer with Dish because of this. Otherwise I wouldn't be able to watch "Wheel of Fortune". I don't understand why "Jeopardy!" airs on WOWT and "Wheel" on KETV. The only time they were both on the same station was back in the late 80's/early 90's when they aired on KMTV. Personally, if it were up to me, they'd still be on KMTV today.

Buy an OTA antenna and receive all the local channels.

As for who carries what game show -- it is who wants to pay to rebroadcast it.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Uffda wrote:
mrsticka wrote:Hopefully, this blackout won't last too long. I know that if it continues into the fall, there will be lots of pi$$ed off Husker fans in Omaha. As you probably know, most Nebraska football games air on ABC, which KETV is the affiliate for in Omaha. So if they can't watch their team play, they'll be furious.

Or better yet, a perfect time for Dish Owners to head out to their favorite sports bar.. Enjoy a pint or two with some lunch/dinner..and catch the games there..

Wait a minute! I have Cox, currently have KETV..and still do this at least half of the time anyway, :;): lol...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:
Uffda wrote:

Or better yet, a perfect time for Dish Owners to head out to their favorite sports bar.. Enjoy a pint or two with some lunch/dinner..and catch the games there..

Wait a minute! I have Cox, currently have KETV..and still do this at least half of the time anyway, :;): lol...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Games or Gameshows? :;):
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

mrsticka wrote:I don't understand why "Jeopardy!" airs on WOWT and "Wheel" on KETV. The only time they were both on the same station was back in the late 80's/early 90's when they aired on KMTV.
Those are now both syndicated shows, as opposed to network shows. They will appear in most major markets, but not on stations affiliated with any certain network.
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

Omababe wrote:
mrsticka wrote:I don't understand why "Jeopardy!" airs on WOWT and "Wheel" on KETV. The only time they were both on the same station was back in the late 80's/early 90's when they aired on KMTV.
Those are now both syndicated shows, as opposed to network shows. They will appear in most major markets, but not on stations affiliated with any certain network.
I already knew that. For the last 30+ years, "Jeopardy!" and "Wheel of Fortune" have aired on 10/11 here in Lincoln mainly due to the fact that for so many years it was the only commercial station in Lincoln until 1996 when KLKN signed on. But nevertheless, both shows still air on 10/11 today.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

nebugeater wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:
Uffda wrote:

Ciao..LiO...Peace
:;): ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

nebugeater wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:
Uffda wrote:

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Both. :;):
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

mrsticka wrote:
nebugeater wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:
Uffda wrote:

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Both. :;):
Ha! Nice one mrsticka :thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
damonhynes
Parks & Recreation

Post by damonhynes »

Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

damonhynes wrote:Deanne Brink: Fort Myers!
http://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2017/4 ... n-ft-myers
Some might not like this comment

Going from Nebraska to South Florida has to feel a bit like winning the lottery.. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Uffda wrote:

Going from Nebraska to South Florida has to feel a bit like winning the lottery.. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Yeah.. On a certain level, it's funny..and a put down we in Nebraska are used to.. Funnier too, would be if the person who penned the little bulletin actually spent time in both places, he'd probably write the opposite, lol...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:
Uffda wrote:

Yeah.. On a certain level, it's funny..and a put down we in Nebraska are used to.. Funnier too, would be if the person who penned the little bulletin actually spent time in both places, he'd probably write the opposite, lol...

Ciao..LiO...Peace

I would feel like I won the lottery if I could PICK a few people to move to S Florida.!
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

Uffda wrote:

Did training in FLA. This is a fairly common sentiment. When I got the chance to move back to Nebraska, the usual reaction was one of bewilderment, like I had volunteered to be a test dummy for an electric chair manufacturer. Having lived in both places, I have to tell you that I would not move back to the land of perma-crowd and bugs.
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

Uffda wrote:

""So, should you cancel that Florida vacation, or re-think your retirement plans? By analyzing the tracks of tropical storms for the past 100 years, the experts at Sperling’s BestPlaces have ranked which areas are most likely to be hit next by a major hurricane.

Southeast Florida (Miami-Fort Lauderdale-West Palm Beach)
Key West and the Florida keys
Southwest Florida (Fort Myers-Naples)
West Florida (Tampa-St. Petersburg-Sarasota-Clearwater)
Outer Banks islands, NC (Cape Hatteras)
Central Texas Gulf coast (Galveston)
Central Florida Atlantic coast (Melbourne-Cocoa Beach)
Florida Panhandle (Pensacola-Panama City)
Central Gulf coast (New Orleans, LA-Biloxi, MS-Mobile, AL)
South Texas Gulf coast (Corpus Christi-Brownsville)""

I'm thinking that if another hurricane hits Ft Myers she'll start pining for boring cold Nebraska. Just a hunch. Oh, and the crocodiles and mosquitoes as big as your fist. But hey, that June Florida Frizz hairdo looks good on you....
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

nebugeater wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:
Uffda wrote:

Ciao..LiO...Peace

I would feel like I won the lottery if I could PICK a few people to move to S Florida.!
Isn't that the truth, lol...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

nebugeater wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:
Uffda wrote:

Ciao..LiO...Peace

Well, Pick 5. :;):
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

mrsticka wrote:
nebugeater wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:
Uffda wrote:

Ciao..LiO...Peace

You can pick me ..if you move it up to Tampa AND provide retirement income. :lol: :lol:
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Uffda wrote:
mrsticka wrote:
nebugeater wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:
Uffda wrote:

Ciao..LiO...Peace

You can pick me ..if you move it up to Tampa AND provide retirement income. :lol: :lol:

Sorry, Tampa does not meet the criteria of S Florida
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

She'll be closer to some top notch plastic surgeons there, I'm sure. I wish her well.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

I found out on Facebook that Dish and Hearst finally settled their dispute. So KETV is now back on Dish. About time! :D
Last edited by mrsticka on Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
damonhynes
Parks & Recreation

Post by damonhynes »

jessep28 wrote:She'll be closer to some top notch plastic surgeons there, I'm sure. I wish her well.
Me-Ow!
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

I have noticed over the past month that the KMTV Morning news has changed personal. Deanne Brink had already left and then they had Emily Szink and Ryan Pike and Matt Monroe. Then it became mostly Szink and and a new one meteorologist Audra Moore. It looks like Matt Monroe moved to CO.
damonhynes
Parks & Recreation

Post by damonhynes »

Uffda wrote:
I have noticed over the past month that the KMTV Morning news has changed personal. Deanne Brink had already left and then they had Emily Szink and Ryan Pike and Matt Monroe. Then it became mostly Szink and and a new one meteorologist Audra Moore. It looks like Matt Monroe moved to CO.
McPike has been doing 6/10 a lot lately, I hope Jennifer Zeppelin isn't leaving!
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

damonhynes wrote:
Uffda wrote:
McPike has been doing 6/10 a lot lately, I hope Jennifer Zeppelin isn't leaving!
I think ryan mcpike is way better
Go Cubs Go
damonhynes
Parks & Recreation

Post by damonhynes »

Uffda wrote:
Turns out that Jenniver Zeppelin is on vacation.

And Matt Monroe is on WeatherNation, channel 215 on Dish.
zippy
Home Owners Association

Post by zippy »

Looks like WOWT6 has a new weekend anchor. Anastasia Champ just came from "NBC Nebraska" in Hastings.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

zippy wrote:Looks like WOWT6 has a new weekend anchor. Anastasia Champ just came from "NBC Nebraska" in Hastings.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (130.55 KiB) Viewed 3414 times
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

If she's good and interested in moving on.. She'll spend 2-3 years here, pay her dues and move on to a top 20-30 market...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

Going from one NBC affiliate to another?
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

I see Omaha is still getting screwed in the latest Nielsen Radio and TV market rankings-

http://www.nielsen.com/content/dam/corp ... s_2017.pdf

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

mrsticka wrote:Going from one NBC affiliate to another?
Both are owned by the same company.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

jessep28 wrote:
mrsticka wrote:Going from one NBC affiliate to another?
Both are owned by the same company.
So is 10/11 but they're a CBS affiliate.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:I see Omaha is still getting screwed in the latest Nielsen Radio and TV market rankings-

http://www.nielsen.com/content/dam/corp ... s_2017.pdf

Ciao..LiO...Peace
What do you mean by that comment?
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:
nebugeater wrote:
mrsticka wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:
mrsticka wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:
mrsticka wrote:What if Omaha's DMA extended all the way out to York? That would include Beatrice, Crete, Seward, Fairbury, David City and Milford. And of course, Lincoln.
And you've probably read here that I've argued that this should be the case for Omaha's TV Market for years..

You'll have to contact Nielsen and convince them to pull their heads out mrsticka :thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Like they'll listen to me.
You'll never know unless you try...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
What would I say?

Please? :;):
You could reason that geographically, Omaha/Lincoln being 45 minutes apart, should have a combined television market covering the eastern 1/3rd of Nebraska, along with the current counties in Western Iowa and one in Missouri. You could reason that the Tri-City TV Market (Grand Island/Kearney/Hastings) cover the middle 1/3rd to western front range..then the Western 1/3rd could be covered partially by North Platte..although Western Nebraska is dominated by the Denver and Rapid City, SD markets currently, so the western 1/3rd could remain the same..

This explanation makes the most common sense..

And of course, you should probably end with- Please? :thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
I'll use this post I wrote last year to provide some insight. I've argued this point for years on this forum...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Lincoln has its own network TV afillites. Lincoln residents don't/can't watch Omaha TV stations, and Omaha residents don't/can't watch Lincoln TV stations. Just as Washington and Baltimore are separate TV markets, despite (unlike Omaha and Lincoln) being one metro area, Lincoln and Omaha are distinct markets. The Lincoln market extends west to at least Kearney (where I am right now). Omaha TV channels are available as far away as Columbus, via cable, but that's about it.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

When I lived in Lincoln during my college years in the 80's Lincoln could and did watch the Omaha TV stations. At that time, it was included in their cable package..

That said, Omaha and Lincoln are separate markets only because Nielsen dictates it. For example, Des Moines and Ames Iowa are both separate metros and both have Television stations in their cities, but Nielsen combines their TV Market into one. Omaha's television market is a fairly narrow swath of counties in eastern NE/western IA and one in MO. Outside of the 3 primary Omaha metro counties, all of the remaining counties are sparsely populated. This equates to an Omaha TV market ranking of #74..although Omaha's MSA and CSA populations rank 59th and 58th respectively. Smaller metros/CSA's such as Des Moines, Little Rock, and even Wichita, Spokane and Lexington, KY etc currently sport a higher TV market ranking. How is that possible? Because these smaller MSA/CSA's have TV markets (defined by Nielsen) which encompass larger swatches of counties in their own and neighboring states; where as Omaha's is smaller and greatly limited.

You could say, DSM and Ames are now one CSA, so that's why their TV market is combined. Not true. The US Census did not combine their MSA's into one CSA until 2013.. their TV market has been combined for many years before that..

The US Census will be redefining US metro and CSA components next year (2018).. There is a better than 50% chance the commuting % between Omaha and Lincoln have hit the 15% threshold.. Thus making Omaha/Lincoln a combined CSA starting next year. My opinion is that Nielsen should get off the stick, and redefine/combine the Omaha and Lincoln TV markets into one as well. This is not an outlandish proposal and makes sense on multiple levels.. While a combined Omaha/Lincoln TV market would jump the ranking to #43 overall. There are advantages to this happenstance for both metros on multiple levels. I'm a firm believer it could and should happen..

Nielsen just needs be shown to see the light :) ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

nativeomahan wrote:Lincoln has its own network TV afillites. Lincoln residents don't/can't watch Omaha TV stations, and Omaha residents don't/can't watch Lincoln TV stations.
If given the choice, they would. Some (not all) of the Omaha stations are included on a cable package here in Lincoln. If anything, many Lincoln residents aren't exactly too crazy about their own stations and prefer watching the Omaha ones. Maybe it's their advertisements? I don't know. I just know that many would watch the Omaha stations.

KETV still has significant viewership here in Lincoln even though we have our own ABC affiliate. Personally, when I switched from Dish to Time Warner in 2015, I hated that KMTV wasn't on the channel lineup. Some residents (here in Lincoln) didn't like it when Time Warner announced they had dropped KMTV from the lineup. As if that wasn't enough, in February or March of 2016, they dropped WOWT from the lineup. Now if Lincoln residents want to watch NBC, they have to watch NBC Nebraska. And they weren't too happy about that, either.

Whenever I've gone to a restaurant or bar here in Lincoln that had cable, they were (still are) usually tuned to the Omaha stations.
damonhynes
Parks & Recreation

Post by damonhynes »

Kristyna Engdahl has left 7 Burlington and set up shop at MECA. Gonna miss her.
riceweb
Library Board

Post by riceweb »

When are the local channels going to show up on Hulu, Vue, DirecTV Now, etc.?