New Police HQ

Including Iowa metro counties.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

mhan0801
New to the Neighborhood

New Police HQ

Post by mhan0801 »

http://965ksom.com/community-study-grou ... il-bluffs/

Eleven community members from across Council Bluffs are coming together to study the facility needs of the Council Bluffs Police Department, and to assist technical consultants in preparing an analysis that will help the city determine the best possible option for an adequate home for the police department.

The study group members come from all walks of life and reside or work in areas that cover all sectors of the community. They will meet several times over the next three months to tour the current police station, tour modern law enforcement centers, scout potential locations throughout the community, and forward their recommendations to the city officials. Meetings began this week at the Council Bluffs Public Library. These meetings are open to the general public to observe, but space is limited.

The city recently retained Hoefer Wysocki Architects of Leawood, Kansas to perform the formal technical analysis to determine appropriate space and functional needs for the police department, as well as conduct a site location analysis with the assistance from a local engineering firm, JEO Consulting Group. The all-volunteer community study group will work closely with the technical project team to inform the technical analysis efforts and also to gain any information they require to provide non-binding recommendations to the city.

The study group will have a neutral facilitator to assist their research and with forming their recommendations to the city. An extensive public information effort will be centered on the study group’s work, culminating in an open house public meeting in mid-February to gain public comment on the group’s recommendations before those recommendations are provided to the city. Additional information will be available at the study group’s kick off meeting and throughout the analysis process.
U R my Helix
Human Relations

Re: New Police HQ

Post by U R my Helix »

My impartial vote would be for the vacant land at 1st Ave and 9th St. It is in the center of the city's growth corridor with good access to Broadway. If it is not available hop Broadway and use Avenue A and N 11th. There we just saved them a ton of time and money.
(all of those pins are apartments)
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

The problem with either of those locations would be access. Being under the Broadway viaduct, you would be forced to drive 5-6 blocks east or west just to access the city's main corridor.
EastCB
Library Board

Post by EastCB »

These two sites are included in the mid city corridor plan. No mention of a police station there.
U R my Helix
Human Relations

Post by U R my Helix »

skinzfan23 wrote:The problem with either of those locations would be access. Being under the Broadway viaduct, you would be forced to drive 5-6 blocks east or west just to access the city's main corridor.
I think there is access via S 8th Street from either side so it is only one block to Broadway. The access is just to the right of the photo edge.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

U R my Helix wrote:My impartial vote would be for the vacant land at 1st Ave and 9th St. It is in the center of the city's growth corridor with good access to Broadway. If it is not available hop Broadway and use Avenue A and N 11th. There we just saved them a ton of time and money.
Seems like there are always officers parked on 11th street at the dead end filling out reports anyways.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

From the Nonpareil:
With help from the study group, potential sites have been lowered from more than 10 to five. During this week’s public meetings architects have shared their thoughts on five sites: Creek Top (land north of Kanesville Boulevard in central Council Bluffs), Woodbury (land just north of NP Dodge on Woodbury Avenue), part of the Google property near South 24th Street and 34th Avenue, the Sapp Bros. site near 23rd Avenue and South 24th Street and the Mall of the Bluffs.
Carmody admitted that many proponents of the new site have ruled out Creek Top and Mall of the Bluffs, but he discussed those two sites at the meetings because of community input. Opponents of Creek Top said the potential removal of 43 residential or business properties would severely delay the start of construction. Carmody said the mall, which is for sale, also has challenges.

Because a proposed site has not been chosen, there is no estimate on the cost of the project. During Wednesday’s meeting, architects estimated around $15 million, with cost expected to rise each year due to inflation.
Carmody said he and others have looked into grants and other financial support to lighten the bill for taxpayers, but most of the project will need to be paid with a bond referendum.

The voters should get their final say on a new police station in May. If passed, construction of the new police station could begin in early 2017.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

A chance to weigh in on new police station

Sounds like they have narrowed it down to 3 sites:
So far, potential sites have been narrowed to three – the Woodbury site (land just north of NP Dodge on Woodbury Avenue); the Google site, part of the Google property near South 24th Street and 34th Avenue; and the Sapp Bros. site near 23rd Avenue and South 24th Street.

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Don't all of these seem on the "south" side of town? Do they expect the bluffs to keep growing that way? I know they all have decent interstate access so may be that's more the point than anything.

Woodbuary is probably the closest to Downtown CB, but probably comes with the most NIMBY complainers.
Google seems way south
South 24th seems like the one I would pick.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

I think that the city is headed mostly south and east. There really isn't any room to grow in any other direction. I think S. 24th st would be the best location for being close to interstate access as well as the rest of town. At one time that land was supposed to become an outlet mall, but now that NEX is going strong, I doubt that would still happen.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

The different layouts for each of the sites:

skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

The CB police chief recommended the Woodbury site for the new HQ. The land would be the cheapest to purchase out of the 3 sites.
bargainhunter
Library Board

Post by bargainhunter »

$20M bond issue special election May 3.

http://www.nonpareilonline.com/news/loc ... 7da9d.html
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Sounds like the bond passed with 62.8% favoring it. They needed at least 60%.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

From the World Herald:
A location for the new facility has been narrowed to four sites:
» The Washington School area
» The Katelman Foundry site
» The midtown area east of the city’s community garden area
» Woodbury Avenue behind the NP Dodge office
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

From the World Herald again:
The council picked a site on Woodbury Avenue, located behind NP Dodge, by a 5-0 vote during the meeting at City Hall.

The Police Department hopes to begin construction early next year and move in 18 to 24 months later, he said.
Police headquarters is now located in a 19,000-square-foot building attached to the Pottawattamie County Courthouse on South Sixth Street downtown.
Carmody said the department needs a 58,000-square-foot headquarters plus a 4,500-square-foot outbuilding and 170 parking stalls.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

City Council approves police HQ contractor at $12M

Not often that a big project like this comes in this much under budget:
The council approved the $12.06 million bid from Lincoln, Nebraska-based Sampson Construction Company to construct the police headquarters off Woodbury Avenue. The winning bid comes in about $2.5 million under city projections.

Carmody said the money saved on the bid will be put back into the project. He noted portions of the project that were taken off the table during the planning process could return. For example, upgrades to the community room, back up emergency operations center, cyber computer law and other areas of the building.

A groundbreaking on the new facility site is planned at 8 a.m. Saturday.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

The last steel beam is almost ready and the topping off ceremony is going to be held on December 12th.

Here is a photo from the Nonpareil:

OmahaFan
Home Owners Association

Post by OmahaFan »

You know I'm happy Council Bluffs is building a New HQ but we should really talk about Omaha's aging Police HQ.
debradomayer
Library Board

Post by debradomayer »

I know someone who works in the basement of the current CBPD in the evidence room. Said the building is in such disrepair that everytime they use the one restroom in the area, it overflows. She's very excited to be moving. Will be ready for move in this summer
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

skinzfan23 wrote:The last steel beam is almost ready and the topping off ceremony is going to be held on December 12th.
Visible from Interstate 80 near the Madison Ave exit.
EastCB
Library Board

Post by EastCB »

Brad wrote:
skinzfan23 wrote:The last steel beam is almost ready and the topping off ceremony is going to be held on December 12th.
Visible from Interstate 80 near the Madison Ave exit.
I think it will very visible when it is done,