Wooing Businesses To Omaha

News and releases from metro area businesses

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

RockHarbor
Planning Board

Wooing Businesses To Omaha

Post by RockHarbor »

I ate at a wonderful Hawaiian grill in suburban Des Moines about a month ago. It was colorful & tropical, fun, and the food was "nummy." I love Hawaiian grills. Upon asking the man at the counter, if that restaurant was a chain or what, he told me that they were from California (I think), and I think he said they had some in Texas. Part of me thought: "How could you just jump over Omaha and ignore KC and Minneapolis and put a location in Des Moines?" Good for Des Moines, but I want one here. Same thing w/ Wahoo's Fish Tacos. When I was very young, I moved to Southern CA, and was introduced to Wahoo' s. Then, they only had locations in CA beach towns, I think. Later, they expanded to places like Denver. Now, if you can believe it (I still cant, practically), there is one in Lincoln, and I always stop in when I'm down there. Yum. Anyways, I'm tired of saying over the counter a meaningless "Come to Omaha!" to a smiling, pleased clerk (that probably passes nothing along). Seriously, is there a committee that woos businesses to Omaha? If not, what would you do woo a business here? Write a letter? Thx...
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

Re: Wooing Businesses To Omaha

Post by Omaha_corn_burner »

RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

Wow....thank you! I do want to be proactive more. It's so easy to be "All talk and no action." I don't want to be that.
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

RockHarbor wrote:Wow....thank you! I do want to be proactive more. It's so easy to be "All talk and no action." I don't want to be that.
How do you think you're going to attract business owners to move or open a location in Omaha? As a private citizen, I think all you have is "talk". I'm not sure what "action" you can do besides handing out millions of dollars.
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

"Hi Joe Zombie. I really enjoy Zombie Burger and I know that many of my friends in Omaha do too. You should open a location in Omaha. It would be great. I feel you could make huge profits in Omaha because they don't have the type of burger that you sell."

What else can you do?
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

I would say something more like: "Hi. I ate at your location in Des Moines and loved it. I even stopped by there on the way back from Minneapolis about a month later, but you were closed already. Anways, I brought you up on an Omaha Forum, saying I would love to woo you to Omaha. And, there's this member, "Omaha_Corn_Burner", that totally made fun of me, and laughed at me. Can we prove him or her wrong? Will you come to Omaha? For me?" (Ha...jk of course). I don't know what I can do, silly, that's why I started this thread. You provided that link, so I clicked on it, and I planned on contacting them to ask if I can give them ideas of who to woo to Omaha. I also want to write the Woodmen Insurance Company, and ask if they can please consider removing the 1970's lettering on the tower, which will improve the look of the tower, and update their image (if they use their logo). It's part of our modern heritage & character, but still, I don't know if anybody takes a major city truly serious that has a skyscraper with that kind of lettering. I get back from Minneapolis (which doesn't allow logos altogether), and it almost looks silly to me. Yet, maybe that signage has helped Omaha have a memorable, unique, interesting impression. I don't know. I think a careful study should be done w/ Photoshopped postcard views and interviewing of Omahans on what they think/feel first. (I want to come around that I-480 curve at night and see the dove-white, boxy tower bathed in white light, with Woodmen's neat, sharp logo glowing. It would feel cleaner, fresher to me. Their logo has a neat graphic w/ a set of lines, and "Woodmen" is written in perfect, distinct font.)
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

If you really want to get new businesses to Omaha, then open a franchise. All it takes is money.
Professor Woland
Library Board

Post by Professor Woland »

Omaha_corn_burner wrote:If you really want to get new businesses to Omaha, then open a franchise. All it takes is money.
I don't think Shake Shack does the franchise thing. If they did I would kidnap some of you, harvest your kidneys, and sell them on the black market to bring it here. Not that I'm a violent person, but I really like Shake Shack.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

Omaha_corn_burner wrote:If you really want to get new businesses to Omaha, then open a franchise. All it takes is money.
Yep, that's all it takes. :) Actually, I have no desire to run or manage a restaurant whatsoever. I know a great chef in town, I've gotten more excited about cooking the last few years (I flip thru cookbooks a lot, and want to attempt certain dishes), and I think working w/ a fun team of people at a restaurant (for like a 2nd job, as I have before) is fun, but no thanks ultimately... I'm just not a "food person." It's not my passion, and I just don't want to be around it all the time. OK, I was thinking earlier that maybe I should evolve this into a "What businesses would you woo to Omaha, if you could?" discussion. Mine, as I stated: 1) Wahoo's Fish Taco 2) Alohana Grill. (I discovered Kona Grill in Omaha today online, and I want to try it out, but it seems different than the menu at Alohana Grill.) Prof Woland stated: Shake Shack. I always wanted Ross Dress For Less to come to Omaha, and I just learned it is.
buildomaha
Human Relations

Post by buildomaha »

I'm less interested in more chain restaurants and more interested in the local takes on different types of food that have been popping up more and more in Omaha. We won't gain any recognition for our great food here if you can get the same exact thing in your home town.
#gohawks
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

I hear ya. I like gourmet, individual restaurants the best, too. Even that Alohana Grill I mentioned in Des Moines was in a strip mall, and I just learned at least one location in CA is in a mall. It's probably more a "mall food court" type joint. Still, I like places I can get a good, decent meal fairly quick, and it's not strange to sit there w/out any company with you -- if you're out & about, and on-the-go alone. For example, I love Sarku (Japanese food -- I almost called it "Saduko" lol) in Oak View's food court. They used to be at Westroads, too. Now, they have a strip mall location at 96th & Q. It is so darn good, imo. I love all types of food, though. I love Indian, Mexican, Cajun-Broele, Thai, Chinese, Japanese, Irish, German, Italian, Greek, Mediterranean, American, African, seafood, etc. (I'm obviously not a picky eater... I could walk into any restaurant and enjoy plenty off the menu.) P.S. I still have not eaten at La Casa. Am I the only Omahan? I want to try the Viking up in Blair. Looks like a good steak...
Last edited by RockHarbor on Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

I forgot: Another one I would like to woo to Omaha: Country Kitchen. They are in Iowa. It sounds typical & boring, but they have a pleasing & fun menu selection, imo -- if you're in the mood for a restaurant in the type & league of Village Inn or Cracker Barrell. As far as fast food: I would love White Castle in Omaha. Rewind the clock, and I would have said "Dunkin' Donuts", but they are all over here now. Love their coffee.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

RockHarbor wrote: As far as fast food: I would love White Castle in Omaha.
If you look at their history, Omaha was the site for the 3rd ever White Castle. Not sure why it didn't last, but I am pretty sure that it would do well if we had one here now.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

skinzfan23 wrote:
RockHarbor wrote: As far as fast food: I would love White Castle in Omaha.
If you look at their history, Omaha was the site for the 3rd ever White Castle. Not sure why it didn't last, but I am pretty sure that it would do well if we had one here now.
Really?! Who knew? So far, we can only buy them in the grocery store. Whenever I'm in the Chicago area, I usually have to go to White Castle once -- or twice. Down in South Florida, I remember a fast food chain called "Crystal"( or "Cristal"). It was much like White Castle. I also remember a chain called "Checkers" (which I also ate at in Little Rock, AT- - must be a southern chain.) That's good food, too. We have localized Amigos & Runza, which other people probably wish they could woo to their city. Seriously, when I was away from Omaha, I would crave their crisp meat burritos, which you can't hardly find anywhere (except "Taco Time" in the Pacific Northwest). I told them that once, and they told me people who have moved away from Omaha will literally buy frozen bags of them from Amigo's to take home. I love Runza, too, and miss it when I'm away -- yet, I have to be in the right mood for it, when living here. As far as another business I would love to bring to Omaha: Dutch Brothers Coffee, out of Portland. Love it. I guess Denver has one now, as well as our very own Scooters.
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

There's a difference between getting a restaurant chain to come to Omaha and wooing a business. In most cases the restaurant is a franchisor. Thus, you either need to find someone willing to buy a franchise and/or lobby the franchisor to seek out a current or new franchisee. If you want a particular restaurant to come to Omaha one way is to get a ton of people to contact the headquarters of the chain. There is strength in numbers. I'm not sure the Chamber or City or State is going to expend a lot of cash wooing White Castle.

On the other hand, getting a company to bring its headquarters or part of the company is something that Nebraska and Omaha and most other cities and states spend 24/7 doing. I've been disappointed for decades at the losses and non starters...Mercedes, BMW, Micron, etc. Also, KC recently got an Amazon distribution center with over 1,000 jobs. There is absolutely no reason Omaha or Nebraska couldn't get that. Here in Detroit Amazon just announced the second facility, this one with 1,600 jobs. I get a weekly email with new developments both in Michigan and nationwide. It seems every week there is an announcement that makes me say "Another one that could have come to Nebraska."

Anyway, if you want White Castle or really anything better than that start with contacting them with your reasons for them to come. In truth, White Castle is awful.

Something just occurred to me. There are multi chain restaurant owners in Omaha. Cutchall for one. Get a hold of him and make your case. He's a great operator. Nice guy too. Maybe he'll bring your favorite one to Omaha.

Aaaah, screw all that. Eat Local!
Last edited by NovakOmaha on Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

NovakOmaha wrote:There's a difference between getting a restaurant chain to come to Omaha and wooing a business. In most cases the restaurant is a franchisor. Thus, you either need to find someone willing to buy a franchise and/or lobby the franchisor to seek out a current or new franchisee. If you want a particular restaurant to come to Omaha one way is to get a ton of people to contact the headquarters of the chain. There is strength in numbers. I'm not sure the Chamber or City or State is going to expend a lot of cash wooing White Castle.

On the other hand, getting a company to bring its headquarters or part of the company is something that Nebraska and Omaha and most other cities and states spend 24/7 doing. I've been disappointed for decades at the losses and non starters...Mercedes, BMW, Micron, etc. Also, KC recently got an Amazon distribution center with over 1,000 jobs. There is absolutely no reason Omaha or Nebraska couldn't get that. Here in Detroit Amazon just announced the second facility, this one with 1,600 jobs. I get a weekly email with new developments both in Michigan and nationwide. It seems every week there is an announcement that makes me say "Another one that could have come to Nebraska."

Anyway, if you want White Castle or really anything better than that start with contacting them with your reasons for them to come. In truth, White Castle is awful.

Something just occurred to me. There are multi chain restaurant owners in Omaha. Cutchall for one. Get a hold of him and make your case. He's a great operator. Nice guy too. Maybe he'll bring your favorite one to Omaha.
Thank you.... there are at least two of us!
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

Lol...you guys... Not everybody likes White Castle, of course, but it's enough of a crowd pleaser that they are sold frozen at the grocery store even in Omaha. Also, that silly, crude "So& So Go To White Castle" movie (I can't remember the two guys' names) shows how far guys will go to get their White Castle -- and I totally get it. If I were craving it enough, I would drive to Lincoln for it. I know in a sense, it almost has a low, "trash America" reputation -- almost like "it's such bad food it's good food." Honestly, that's probably partly what makes it fun to go to. You just know you're eating "trash food", but it's such gooood "trash food." When you pull up, it's the type of place you almost do a double take to make sure nobody you know is around. If the coast is clear, you dig in, and gobble those gooey mini burgers down w/ delight. Lol. I wouldn't mind one in Omaha -- that's for sure. (I think the thoughts surrounding White Castle have partly to do w/ the fact their name is bit strange & cheesy for a burger joint, the restaurants' exteriors sometimes are even themed w/ a castle's parapet feature, and the menu is basically totally focused on those mini burgers -- the side always being ribbed fries & a Coke. It's just simple & low quality & quick & trashy & cheesy & so so good. It works in a "trash America" sort of way -- sort of like how Burger King and their iconic BK crown works.) NovakOmaha: Thanks for all that info. I had no idea. You seem to know a lot. I knew a lady with with that same last name in Omaha, and she was a character and really smart in many ways. I always want to think you are her. But, I see you're in Detroit area. Thanks again for the valuable info...
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

RockHarbor wrote:maybe I should evolve this into a "What businesses would you woo to Omaha, if you could?" discussion.
Larry Flynt's Hustler Club would be nice
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

Post by GrandpaaSmucker »

RockHarbor wrote:Lol...you guys... Not everybody likes White Castle, of course, but it's enough of a crowd pleaser that they are sold frozen at the grocery store even in Omaha. Also, that silly, crude "So& So Go To White Castle" movie (I can't remember the two guys' names) shows how far guys will go to get their White Castle -- and I totally get it. If I were craving it enough, I would drive to Lincoln for it. I know in a sense, it almost has a low, "trash America" reputation -- almost like "it's such bad food it's good food." Honestly, that's probably partly what makes it fun to go to. You just know you're eating "trash food", but it's such gooood "trash food." When you pull up, it's the type of place you almost do a double take to make sure nobody you know is around. If the coast is clear, you dig in, and gobble those gooey mini burgers down w/ delight. Lol. I wouldn't mind one in Omaha -- that's for sure. (I think the thoughts surrounding White Castle have partly to do w/ the fact their name is bit strange & cheesy for a burger joint, the restaurants' exteriors sometimes are even themed w/ a castle's parapet feature, and the menu is basically totally focused on those mini burgers -- the side always being ribbed fries & a Coke. It's just simple & low quality & quick & trashy & cheesy & so so good. It works in a "trash America" sort of way -- sort of like how Burger King and their iconic BK crown works.) NovakOmaha: Thanks for all that info. I had no idea. You seem to know a lot. I knew a lady with with that same last name in Omaha, and she was a character and really smart in many ways. I always want to think you are her. But, I see you're in Detroit area. Thanks again for the valuable info...
I have never bought White Castle burgers from the store once! I never buy any frozen hamburgers. I guess I just am not so lazy that I cant buy some good fresh hamburger and throw it on the grill for 10 minutes. The same kind of people who think frozen hamburgers are good are the same kind of people who eat stove top stuffing with their Thanksgiving turkey smothered in Heinz gravy from a bottle! There are not "Trash" they just are lazy people with no sense of taste who would not know the difference between good food and a can of Alpo.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

Omaha_Corn_Burner: Never heard of it. Sounds kinda shady... :) GrandpaSmucker: I'm not calling anybody "trash", as I then would be calling myself "trash." I don't believe in calling anybody that. But, fast food is in that "trashy America" category in general, because of the low & cheaper quality. (Not people. There are poorer people who would never go to fast food, and there are rich people who love fast food. I know a girl who likes McD's, but she is so embarrased to be there, she makes sure nobody is around who she knows first.) Burger King seems kinda "trashy" to me ways. There was a point where I thought "Eeew! Their food is nasty! It's like dog food. I'm not eating here again." Yet, I was eating their cheap $3 deals. If you eat one of their nicer $5- $6 burgers, then they really are tasty, imo. (I had their mushroom Swiss burger last week and it was so great. Since they've remained in business for so long, logically they would have to have decent, good food. I've learned they are just not going to hand their best meat over to the people who spend minimal -- just like McD's.) I don't like some of Sonic's food. But, they have a lot of "trash food" on their menu that is still so, so good. Plus, they are a dessert & beverage heaven. So, I haven't turned my back on them. Some fast food joints, like Don & Millies, don't seem "trashy" at all, and have some class. (Yum...I love D&M. Those Double Don burgers of theirs...) I agree cooking at home is healthier, but some people don't have the desire, energy, or time. I haven't bought frozen White Castle burgers at the grocery store yet myself. I've questioned why I haven't. Maybe because they aren't the cheese ones? Maybe because I know they won't be as good. Anyways, nobody will convince me "how awful" White Castle is. It's been around & popular how long? How many restaurants do they operate? How many grocery stores, even out of their chain's main zone, carry their frozen burgers? All the evidence is there it is a "crowd pleaser." Another chain I want in Omaha: CARL'S JR!! It is owned by the same company as Hardees, yet their menu has differences.
buildomaha
Human Relations

Post by buildomaha »

RockHarbor wrote:Omaha_Corn_Burner: Never heard of it. Sounds kinda shady... :) GrandpaSmucker: I'm not calling anybody "trash", as I then would be calling myself "trash." I don't believe in calling anybody that. But, fast food is in that "trashy America" category in general, because of the low & cheaper quality. (Not people. There are poorer people who would never go to fast food, and there are rich people who love fast food. I know a girl who likes McD's, but she is so embarrased to be there, she makes sure nobody is around who she knows first.) Burger King seems kinda "trashy" to me ways. There was a point where I thought "Eeew! Their food is nasty! It's like dog food. I'm not eating here again." Yet, I was eating their cheap $3 deals. If you eat one of their nicer $5- $6 burgers, then they really are tasty, imo. (I had their mushroom Swiss burger last week and it was so great. Since they've remained in business for so long, logically they would have to have decent, good food. I've learned they are just not going to hand their best meat over to the people who spend minimal -- just like McD's.) I don't like some of Sonic's food. But, they have a lot of "trash food" on their menu that is still so, so good. Plus, they are a dessert & beverage heaven. So, I haven't turned my back on them. Some fast food joints, like Don & Millies, don't seem "trashy" at all, and have some class. (Yum...I love D&M. Those Double Don burgers of theirs...) I agree cooking at home is healthier, but some people don't have the desire, energy, or time. I haven't bought frozen White Castle burgers at the grocery store yet myself. I've questioned why I haven't. Maybe because they aren't the cheese ones? Maybe because I know they won't be as good. Anyways, nobody will convince me "how awful" White Castle is. It's been around & popular how long? How many restaurants do they operate? How many grocery stores, even out of their chain's main zone, carry their frozen burgers? All the evidence is there it is a "crowd pleaser." Another chain I want in Omaha: CARL'S JR!! It is owned by the same company as Hardees, yet their menu has differences.
Carls junior and Hardee's are essentially identical. There's not much missing from Hardee's menu that's on Carl's juniors
#gohawks
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

Yes, I agree. And, thats basically what I stated. Carl's Jr gives me a greater fix, though (although I love Hardees plenty). They have big burgers w/ guacamole, and western burgers w/ onion rings and bbq sauce on them, ect. The food is just more Southwestern/Western on some items -- it seems. In fact, they sometimes share the restaurant space w/ "The Green Burrito" (Mexican fast food). My first experience w/ Carl's Jr was also my first time in Los Angeles. I just remember it being surrounded by palm trees, I was with a friend, it was fun, and it just felt like I was eating CA junk/fast food under sunny skies. It wasn't until years later I put two-and-two together w/ the "happy star" logo, and started doing research.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

I was reading up on the history & success of White Castle. I realize that not everyone is fond of the place, but still, pretty impressive! https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_C ... estaurant)
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

RockHarbor wrote:I was reading up on the history & success of White Castle. I realize that not everyone is fond of the place, but still, pretty impressive! https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_C ... estaurant)
Go to bed Rocky.
ricko
Parks & Recreation

Post by ricko »

On the recommendation of a friend, I ate at a White Castle in Alexandria, Virginia in the mid-1980's. It had to be the single worst meal I've ever had in my life, and I'll eat just about anything----ain't picky about food, but I'll never understand the whole 'White Castle' thing.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

Coyote wrote:
RockHarbor wrote:I was reading up on the history & success of White Castle. I realize that not everyone is fond of the place, but still, pretty impressive! https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_C ... estaurant)
Go to bed Rocky.
At 9:52pm on a Saturday night? You're right; That is really late. "Grandma" should have been in bed by 9.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

ricko wrote:On the recommendation of a friend, I ate at a White Castle in Alexandria, Virginia in the mid-1980's. It had to be the single worst meal I've ever had in my life, and I'll eat just about anything----ain't picky about food, but I'll never understand the whole 'White Castle' thing.
Sorry you had that experience, but no single restaurant is for everybody -- I guess. That's how I feel about Burger King. They are coast to coast, it's been around for a long, long time, but I just don't get "how" sometimes. Some of their food seems kinda gross to me -- and I'm not picky either. Yet, their nicer burgers & signature grilled taste can "hit the spot" once in awhile. I'm not crazy about their fries, though. (My family never really went there over McD's that much growing up, so maybe that is part of my perception.)
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

buildomaha wrote:I'm less interested in more chain restaurants and more interested in the local takes on different types of food that have been popping up more and more in Omaha. We won't gain any recognition for our great food here if you can get the same exact thing in your home town.
I agree with this. Although some chains are delicious, I think culinary vibrancy is achieved with unique locally owned restaurants who are baptized by the critical palettes that exist in Omaha. When I lived in Dallas, everyone bragged about having a lot of well known chain restaurants, but eventually I got bored and wanted something unique.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

ricko wrote:On the recommendation of a friend, I ate at a White Castle in Alexandria, Virginia in the mid-1980's. It had to be the single worst meal I've ever had in my life, and I'll eat just about anything----ain't picky about food, but I'll never understand the whole 'White Castle' thing.
If you grew up in an area with them, you learned to stay away unless you were ravenously hungry and no other places were open at the time! It was best appreciated as a post-bar pre-hangover try-to-sober-up experience. I sure don't "get it" regarding their supposed millions of loyal fans! Their burgers were gross and their places were seldom kept clean.
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

Omababe wrote:
If you grew up in an area with them, you learned to stay away unless you were ravenously hungry and no other places were open at the time! It was best appreciated as a post-bar pre-hangover try-to-sober-up experience. I sure don't "get it" regarding their supposed millions of loyal fans! Their burgers were gross and their places were seldom kept clean.
Yeeeeppp! I ate at one once and you could see the grime on the floor. One and done for me.
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

bigredmed1 wrote:One and done for me.
I was also a once and done
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Honestly, never been into a White Castle....really no desire to. The way they cook their "burgers" makes me want to cry :(
No posts exist for this topic
ricko
Parks & Recreation

Post by ricko »

Does Omaha really need another chain burger/pizza/whatever joint, or a chain anything? Omaha has plenty of home grown places that are much better than In& Out, Shake Shack, etc.. Sometimes I think the people posting this stuff are really cardiologists trying to drum up business. I think Omaha is a very underrated city that is better than average at marketing itself to prospective businesses. It's just difficult to convince start-ups to move here because of a perceived coastal notion that it is a backward cow town, which is an attitude that is quickly dispelled when people spend any amount of time here. I think the thing that is really holding us back are educational institutions that lack top notch business and tech schools that feed into the local economy, although I think the Med Center's recent growth spurt is a good sign---maybe that'll have a ripple effect on some of the other schools in the area.
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

ricko wrote:Does Omaha really need another chain burger/pizza/whatever joint, or a chain anything?
REI
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

ricko wrote:Does Omaha really need another chain burger/pizza/whatever joint, or a chain anything?
No!

(Next question please.) :)
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

You're right...restaurant chains are so bad & evil, aren't they? We should just have ONE Runza in town, with lines of cars backing out into the street, and lines of people going out the door...every day....shouldnt we? (Point made. Be glad they are around, and have many locations.)
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Omababe wrote:
No!
I agree..

But I'd take a Rainforest Cafe :thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:But I'd take a Rainforest Cafe :thumb: ...
Those still exist?
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Brad wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:But I'd take a Rainforest Cafe :thumb: ...
Those still exist?
Looks like there are 22 locations in the US, but I would be surprised if they are still expanding.
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

RockHarbor wrote:You're right...restaurant chains are so bad & evil, aren't they? We should just have ONE Runza in town, with lines of cars backing out into the street, and lines of people going out the door...every day....shouldnt we? (Point made. Be glad they are around, and have many locations.)
I would rather have a local place that puts a individual take on a meal than another place that pumps out cheese food product receiving burger patty meat products with 1.5 grams of lettuce, 1.5 grams of tomato, and 0.5 grams of "secret sauce". Go try Report Inn Pub for their nachos or burgers and then compare them to the nachos across the street at Taco Bell. RIP has a neat take on nachos and their burgers are great and also unique. Like Stellas, but not a copy. They make them the way they want to and we get to have two flavors of burgers, the mass produced food and the unique taste.

Would I want just one Runza store? No, for obvious reasons you allude to, but if I had to choose between Runzas and a White Castle vs what I have now, it would be no contest. I much prefer the local flavors.

Went to the Infusion Blood Mary contest sponsored by the National Hemophilia Foundation. After that, I made a point of patronizing each of the bars that participated to express my gratitude for their stepping up for my patients who get camp scholarships from this fundraiser. Just like the variety of individual bars' takes on their Bloody Marys, they all have interesting takes on their food. RIP's outstanding burgers, Beyond Golf's amazing Poblano Queso, Tracks's fried chicken, all beat their chain competitors, just by being interesting if nothing else.