The Crossroads (72 & Dodge)

West Omaha, Sarpy and Nebraska metro counties.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Coyote
City Council

Re: Crossroads - Redevelopment Plan

Post by Coyote »

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (62.49 KiB) Viewed 4270 times
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Something must give.. the city needs to force his hand get something in writing and sue him after the next deadline.
15-17, 26, 32
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

Per Roseann Moring / World-Herald staff writer:
Stothert and Mello spent a combined $3.8 million in Omaha mayoral race, setting a new record
Overall, Mello’s top donor was Johanna Lutton, who gave $55,000. Her online LinkedIn profile lists her as the chief marketing officer of OTB Destination, the company that is working to develop Crossroads Mall.

(OTB gave $32,500 to Stothert and $10,000 to Mello. Its owner, Rod Yates, gave $2,000 to Mello.)
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

choke wrote:Per Roseann Moring / World-Herald staff writer:
Stothert and Mello spent a combined $3.8 million in Omaha mayoral race, setting a new record
Overall, Mello’s top donor was Johanna Lutton, who gave $55,000. Her online LinkedIn profile lists her as the chief marketing officer of OTB Destination, the company that is working to develop Crossroads Mall.

(OTB gave $32,500 to Stothert and $10,000 to Mello. Its owner, Rod Yates, gave $2,000 to Mello.)

Assuming that's that's the Johanna that does the commercials for Yates other local development, Nebraska Crossing.

Greg
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

Post by GrandpaaSmucker »

choke wrote:Per Roseann Moring / World-Herald staff writer:

Considering those figures a person would have to be an ignorant naive fool not to know there is corruption involved. Perfectly legal corruption I am sure but corruption just the same. 100,000 bucks spent just to grease the froze up machine and get it going again. :(
Last edited by GrandpaaSmucker on Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Joe_Sovereign
Library Board

Post by Joe_Sovereign »

Big announcement coming on the Crossroads.

Rumor That the city is giving in on the tax incentives and we could see work starting this fall.
FirebirdEngineer
Home Owners Association

Post by FirebirdEngineer »

Joe_Sovereign wrote:Big announcement coming on the Crossroads.

Rumor That the city is giving in on the tax incentives and we could see work starting this fall.
I really hope this is true. The Crossroads area is in dire need of a transformation.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

At this point give it to him.
15-17, 26, 32
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

FirebirdEngineer wrote:

I really hope this is true. The Crossroads area is in dire need of a transformation.

The area has had a transformation..... just in the wrong direction. What is needs is another one!
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

I heard 60-90 days. (Sorry. Had to do it.)

The fact is that Nebraska Crossing appears to have been a big success. As to Crossroads it's an entirely different animal. If he can pull it off he looks like a hero. I find it sad that what was once the epicenter of Omaha has been reduced to such an eyesore. With all the successful developments all over Omaha to have this huge property sit so long is both confusing and not. Confusing in that had someone with vision come forward it could and should have been redeveloped long ago. Not confusing in that evidently the other areas were more attractive and easily developed.

In any event, either this gets off the ground or turn it over to Noddle & get off the pot.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

Whatever they do, I hope it's more inclined toward earlier renderings, and not the souped up L Street Marketplace version they put out on the last page.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
buildomaha
Human Relations

Post by buildomaha »

The smell of fish is still lingering all around this project. I think they should've turned it over to another developer a long time ago. This is an opportunity for a really great redevelopment and I feel like it is going to end up like an L street marketplace with some residential thrown in. We need to think long and hard about this or we're going to be doing this whole thing again in 60 years.
#gohawks
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

RNcyanide wrote:Whatever they do, I hope it's more inclined toward earlier renderings, and not the souped up L Street Marketplace version they put out on the last page.
Again..., I see this nothing like its early rending. Reason #1. Noddle and Farm West.
Let's say you are REI and wanting to locate in Omaha.
Let's say you are Macy's and wanting to locate in Omaha...
Where wil you likely plant your model showroom?
72nd and Dodge has had its preeminence, it is now a has been. 4:30 traffic sucks.

Before the announcement of West Farm I would have said Go....
Now,.. Wait and see.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

I'm glad to hear here Crossroads is getting closer & closer to moving forward. I think about it every time I drive thru the area. Maybe it's good it has had time to sit for awhile. As you guys talk about it hopefully not being just another "L Street Market Place", I've had similar thoughts. I just don't want it to be typical. This development should be extra special & thoughtful, imo -- sitting in the "ghost" of Crossroads Mall. Not that we need to be a "Kansas City" with a "Plaza" type area, but sometimes I feel Omaha needs a charming "epic center" to work/live/shop/play (beyond the Old Market). It's so easy for designers to eye the Crossroads plot and create another typical "Aksarben" or "West Farm." It all looks nice, but it is all starting to make me yawn & snore. When I was up in Minneapolis, I was marveling as usual at what a great, handsome town it is. Yet, like any city, it doesn't have it all: Not one area of town fully has the cozy charm & ambience that KC's Euro-themed Plaza area has. Omaha's more like Minneapolis in that it seems more practical when it comes to design (although Minneapolis's architecture seems to capture a spirit of experimentation & innovation more than Omaha to me). Like Omaha, the city is maybe more "dry" in feeling, while KC is more a bluesy river city w/ real heart & soul, and has more fanciful design w/ generally more flair. Even glancing down streets in KC, homes seem more "Disney-fied" w/ cottagey roofs, muntins in windows, whimsical chimneys, shutters, flowers. It's like...more "Bohemian" or something. That specific flair & expression finds its way even out to new suburban strip malls, like in Leawood & Overland Park & Liberty. Now, Omaha has plenty of that charm in the inner city, but overall, the mindset in Omaha is more plain & basic & practical. (Once in awhile, I'm super surprised at what they build, like the Tudor-themed Baker's & plaza out in Pepperwood. It looks like something out of Kansas City to me. Or, the Grey Hawk Plaza on West Maple Road. With the French Mansard roofs & windows, it reminds me of something you would see in the Dallas area.) So, I really want Omaha to gain more charm. But, since it doesn't have a lot of that Old World expression, is it better to keep the designs more modern & clean-lined, like in Aksarben Village? At Crossroads, modern might be better, considering what is nearby -- like the modern Methodist Hospital & additions. I don't know. I just get so tired of the same ole' stuff -- like that "'L' Street Marketplace" mentioned. However, that Target is there, and they have to match the new development well with that. Maybe it should be more like Zona Rosa in suburban Kansas City. Whatever they do, I think it has to have special accents & features Omaha hasn't really seen before -- like a place to throw pennies in water, or fountains shooting up from holes in cement. Or, a place w/ a lot of old brick, fanciful iron railings, tons of vines & big plants & trees and colorful umbrellas to sit under, like the kinda charm you find at San Antonio's Riverwalk. (Darn it, why does a Target & a parking lot have to be on the corner of our city's main intersection? B-o-o-ri-i-i-ng.)
Last edited by RockHarbor on Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

I really wish they would keep with the principles of Omaha by design and encourage high density residential development in this area. It's located on the must reliable bus line in the city, and is located close to many grocery stores, restaurants, home goods stores, and many other retail outlets. In actuality there's too much retail in this area now and given the negative trajectory of brick and mortar retail in the country, I do not believe the demographics of the area can support another mall-sized retail complex. In my opinion, this can only be supported if you have a large increase of middle class residents in the area which is best achieved by building high density residential. Instead of these people spending $50 per month on gas, they'll spend it at the restaurants or other retail options in the area.
buildomaha
Human Relations

Post by buildomaha »

I agree, even at west farm the architecture is pretty bland. We need something interesting. I also think that this could be very successful with more emphasis on high density, nice residential. Something g like the plaza in KC with some 4-5 story buildings with residential would be a hole in one, but this is omaha.
#gohawks
buildomaha
Human Relations

Post by buildomaha »

With new plan, Crossroads Mall developer is 'ready to make this happen,' but Omaha mayor has doubts

http://www.omaha.com/money/with-new-pla ... 40006.html
By Roseann Moring and Paige Yowell wrote:The developer of Crossroads Mall has yet another plan for the site with a new timeline, new drawings and a new signed agreement with the City of Omaha.

Developer Rod Yates said he plans to submit the first of a series of applications to the city on Monday.

“We’re all ready to make this happen,” Yates said.
#gohawks
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Glad to hear things are ready to move forward.
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

Crossroads Village 2: Electric Boogaloo
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

The new renderings look a lot more interesting than ones past, but let's let time be the judge of how this turns out.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

I don't think we have to worry about another L Street Marketplace anytime soon. With the rapidly changing retail landscape, I just don't see those coming on line much anymore.

The downsizing of the retail component reflects that. Will be interested to see the retailers that do sign on. I don't think Apple will be one of them. I think that landed at Village Pointe.

Greg
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Here are the latest renderings:

MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Love the mountains.
15-17, 26, 32
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_corn_burner »

MTO wrote:Love the mountains.
Yeah. Where's Target? Did they change Dodge street to two lanes in each direction? Worst render ever? It's just a generic drawing of some rectangles with rectangles on them.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

I like it well enough -- for sure. I like the idea of a health club there, and less retail & not another cinema. I think that is smart. Having a nice new library there also will have drawing power -- for sure. It is a whole lot better than what is sitting there now. I just feel like every new development looks the same -- as maybe that is because it is what is safe to do, what people want. But, it just feels like nobody thinks "outside the box" in Omaha. It's like a type of thinking with designers, like: "For Crossroads, let's create an new urbanism yuppieville that looks similar to what we did in Aksarben Village and West Farm, except we're gonna use more blues." Again, though, it's safe to do, and you know it will work. And, that's fine. I just feel like Omaha doesn't do anything that special outside of downtown -- like a special accent, or something that would land in the pages of a city guidebook eventually. I keep thinking of things like El Paso's unusual, old crocodile fountain, or the dolphin fountain down in FL (Sarasota, I think), or the mustangs of Las Colinas, TX. Things like that. Things that people just have to get a picture by, things that make them happy. Chicago's "bean" sculpture. Cancun's colorful letters. (Maybe we could have "OMAHA" to stand by here. More & more cities are doing that.) I'm not proposing a fountain w/ steers here at 72nd & Dodge, or something. I'm just wanting Omaha to stop & think "outside the box", and put more special, extra thought into things, and make things more meaningful, rather than just cookie-cutter everything. It's like we're trying too hard to be cool, and fit in, and have everything look right, and forgetting about the attractiveness of individualism along the way -- or something, imo. Course, most special touristy accents are found downtown, so I don't know what I'm really after here. I just feel like at Crossroads, we need a little bit more of something special. If it were the first "Aksarben Village" or the first "West Farm" being put in, than maybe not. But, this is the third "New Urbanism Yuppieville" being installed -- and at our most special & iconic intersection. (At the current plan, I'm excited for it to be put in because it is fresh & new -- as everyone is tired of looking at a shabby Crossroads Mall, it's "glory days" long gone. But, I'm not excited about anything in particular -- but maybe that new library.) Also: Is it possible for Omaha to have a touristy draw outside of downtown, and work on such an idea, other than the zoo and maybe historic Boys Town?
Last edited by RockHarbor on Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:52 am, edited 4 times in total.
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Omaha_corn_burner wrote:
MTO wrote:Love the mountains.
Yeah. Where's Target? Did they change Dodge street to two lanes in each direction? Worst render ever? It's just a generic drawing of some rectangles with rectangles on them.
I wish Dodge St looked that nice. It would be great if there were trees like that in the medians.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

skinzfan23 wrote:I wish Dodge St looked that nice. It would be great if there were trees like that in the medians.
There is up near Westroads... But, you're right. I didn't even see that as "Dodge Street." Sometimes I think we need to ditch the name "Crossroads" and make it a thing of the past, rather than feeling like we have to pay homage to an old mall that maybe finds a place in people's hearts, maybe not. There are so many young people around (like 20 years old) that probably feel nothing for that mall. Maybe they should name it something playing off the exciting, iconic intersection of Omaha that it is. (Like "Dodge At 72nd" or something. Just chewing on ideas here...)
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Lets just get going.

500K SF of office in the center of the city is good for east and west Omaha commuters and 350K of retail could be a nice level that doesn't need the entire city's support, but could offer some closer options for people east of 72nd so we don't have to go out to Westroads for a decent retail development.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

I'm not sure that's quite what the Omaha Master Plan called for, but looks...okay. They're clearly taking the approach that many suburban developers take to urban development and kind of orienting things to the street, but ensuring the most visible and enticing entrances and nodes are adjacent to the parking lot. The plaza between "Bistro" and "Joy" is particularly confusing - "come enjoy this nice water feature, but only if you approach from the parking lot. You can eat your own |expletive| if you try to approach it form the sidewalk on (what appears to be) 72nd Street - we're making you trudge across the lawn."

I also like how the rendering depicts the sidewalks within the development as nicely manicured but the sidewalks in the City right-of-way are in dire need of edging.
Last edited by TitosBuritoBarn on Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

I'm excited for this new plan & project. (Is that OK to say moderators? Or, did I say too much? Is this gonna be erased -- twice -- too? I realize other people can say that, but maybe I should have only said "I'm excited." I can take things a little too far sometimes...you know me.) Lol
buildomaha
Human Relations

Post by buildomaha »

I think it definitely is very bland and boring. It is obvious this was designed by a suburban developer and not anyone familiar with urban spaces. I wouldn't put it past Yates to keep delaying this to the point where the city and the citizens just want anything there regardless of if its what really should be there-which is where we have gotten to.
#gohawks
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

The developers were quoted as saying "No, no. THIS time we REALLY mean it!"
damonhynes
Parks & Recreation

Post by damonhynes »

NovakOmaha wrote:The developers were quoted as saying "No, no. THIS time we REALLY mean it!"
This needs to be put out of our collective misery--where's a tornado when we need one?
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

NovakOmaha wrote:The developers were quoted as saying "No, no. THIS time we REALLY mean it!"
They get to pay their own way this time. No city money, nor TIF. They burned that bridge and we have nothing to show for their last fantasy.
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

Even the Mayor is saying, "Yeah, right :roll:."
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

I am so tired of that 60's Sears. I am so tired of that vacant former Best Buy & Bag N Save. I am so tired of those sad, sagggy circus funnels. I'm so tired of that lonely Barnes & Noble, attached to dark, cobwebby mall that probably houses Casper & those three mean ghosts. I am so tired of looking at that mall and asking "What happened?" Ugh... Just take a wrecking ball to it all...
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

I've read the peanut gallery commentary since the latest proposal was announced a couple days ago..

You can include me in that gallary too just so some here don't feel "The Don" has insulted them..

I believe a little perspective is necessary. I remember, what, maybe 12 years ago on this forum- when I engaged in a "discussion" with a forum member at that time who claimed Omaha should "blow up Crossroads" lol..

For those now who call for a similar demise, I have 3 words for you- Ain't gonna happen..

The Crossroads first came into being in 1963. This development has re-invented itself at least 2 other times since then. The retail market area is far too valuable for it not to be "reinvented" or "re established" a 3rd time..

What it needs, is a developer with the vision and wherewithal to appreciate its history, win over consumer confidence with the citizens of Omaha, city council and the mayors office.. have it's financing in order.. Then, ultimately, not blow a bunch of hot air and get moving on with the proposal..

Here's to hoping this one has some actual backbone to it...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

Post by GrandpaaSmucker »

choke wrote:
Even the Mayor is saying, "Yeah, right :roll:."
The mayor has been accepting thousands of dollars in campaign funds from this developer that we know about. Who knows what deals have been done that we don't know about. I think its completely justified to assume at this point that the public's best interest is more then likely in jeopardy. :(

This developer bought the entire Cross Roads Mall property(minus Target) for 9.5 million and now he wants the taxpayers of Omaha to buy just the parking garage alone for 7 million. What kind of shabby deal is that for us and how sweet it is for them. For 2.5 million they bought the whole SW corner of 72nd and Dodge. No wonder they are so damn rich! We would all be rich if we could cook up deals like that. Oh yeah thats right they claim that they will buy the garage back in 3 years. :roll:

Building a new library at the Cross Roads. What a joke that thought is. We have a perfectly good library building at 90th & Dodge that has been neglected and under used for decades but now we need a new one at the Cross Roads. What a load. We have a state of the art library already at 72nd & Dodge called Do Space. Yeah lets tear down the downtown library and the and the Swanson Library so the developers and politicians and the construction companies can all get rich at the taxpayers expense.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

RockHarbor wrote:I am so tired of that 60's Sears. I am so tired of that vacant former Best Buy & Bag N Save. I am so tired of those sad, sagggy circus funnels. I'm so tired of that lonely Barnes & Noble, attached to dark, cobwebby mall that probably houses Casper & those three mean ghosts. I am so tired of looking at that mall and asking "What happened?" Ugh... Just take a wrecking ball to it all...

If you're so tired get some sleep.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

The Swanson Library IS the reason to build a new library there, imo. Ever been in their basement? I bet the catacombs beneath the Egyption pyramids smell fresher. (It's also gloomy. I dislike most of Omaha's libraries to be honest. What I can't figure out is how much bigger Omaha has gotten, and our newest libraries are still 90th & Fort and the Millard one -- both built around 25-35 years ago. I'll often go to La Vista just to be in a nice library that doesn't make me sad.) If the Swanson is torn down, betcha we get a sparkly new office building on that corner, hmmmm...whadda ya say?!?! Keeping w/ the Crossroads tradition: Don't get me wrong; I like that idea. But, Crossroads was built, then Westroads down the street (showing me the same "moves" from developers went on back then). Although the first mall, there's always been this common "Why is Crossroads so close to Westroads?" question, when the question shows people care more about bigger & better Westroads adjacent to the highway. Do we need to carry on that "retail epic center sits nearby retail epic center" tradition between 72nd & Dodge and 102nd & Dodge? Furthermore, I love Omaha, but I've been around it long enough that words like "Westroads" and "Crossroads" and "Regency" want to almost make me gag sometimes -- literally. Can't we move along to something fresh & new, and make it all a solid piece of Omaha history to smile about? Celebrating it, we could hang old & nostalgic pictures of Crossroads in the Pepperjack Grill (if it goes in there).
Last edited by RockHarbor on Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:05 am, edited 2 times in total.