Work Boot Recommendations

Humor and off topic conversation

Moderators: Coyote, Omaha Cowboy, Brad, nebugeater

User avatar
jessep28
Planning Board
Posts: 2360
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:10 pm
Location: Omaha Metro Area

Work Boot Recommendations

Postby jessep28 » Wed May 03, 2017 9:51 am

I'm in the market for new work boots. I work in an ag environment, so they need to stand up to mud and chemicals. Safety toe would be nice but not necessary.

I bought some Timberland Pros Endurance models last night, but there have been more reviews reporting premature wear than I'm comfortable with.

Cost isn't an issue. I'll pay for quality.

I'm just curious what people around here buy.

Thank you.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum

User avatar
Uffda
Planning Board
Posts: 3047
Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2005 9:52 pm
Location: Omaha

Re: Work Boot Recommendations

Postby Uffda » Wed May 03, 2017 7:12 pm


User avatar
jessep28
Planning Board
Posts: 2360
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:10 pm
Location: Omaha Metro Area

Re: Work Boot Recommendations

Postby jessep28 » Wed May 03, 2017 7:56 pm

If I luck out and they fit, I found some Keens on Amazon over the lunch hour for a hard to beat price. For some reason they had a size that I think will work selling for around $80 under MSRP.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum

User avatar
nebugeater
County Board
Posts: 6078
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:07 pm
Location: Gretna NE

Re: Work Boot Recommendations

Postby nebugeater » Wed May 03, 2017 8:54 pm

I have worn steel toe work boots part of the time for my work for years and growing up on a farm I wore boots that were the same just not steel toe. I have tried many kinds through the years. I keep going back to Red Wing and no longer try others. Go to the Harney Shoe store on 108th near Valentinos and take a look. They will cost more than many but my experience is they will outlast anything else and in the end are very competitive in a cost per length used. Harney has a good return / guarantee policy too
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!

User avatar
jessep28
Planning Board
Posts: 2360
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:10 pm
Location: Omaha Metro Area

Re: Work Boot Recommendations

Postby jessep28 » Wed May 03, 2017 10:12 pm

nebugeater wrote:I have worn steel toe work boots part of the time for my work for years and growing up on a farm I wore boots that were the same just not steel toe. I have tried many kinds through the years. I keep going back to Red Wing and no longer try others. Go to the Harney Shoe store on 108th near Valentinos and take a look. They will cost more than many but my experience is they will outlast anything else and in the end are very competitive in a cost per length used. Harney has a good return / guarantee policy too


You're not the first to recommend Haney Shoes. I'm out near York. I wanted to go their Lincoln store on Tuesday evening when I was in town after work, but they close at 6 on Tuesday's.

I've got to take these Timberlands back, so I'll be in the area again soon.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum

User avatar
nebugeater
County Board
Posts: 6078
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:07 pm
Location: Gretna NE

Re: Work Boot Recommendations

Postby nebugeater » Thu May 04, 2017 7:48 am

jessep28 wrote:
nebugeater wrote:I have worn steel toe work boots part of the time for my work for years and growing up on a farm I wore boots that were the same just not steel toe. I have tried many kinds through the years. I keep going back to Red Wing and no longer try others. Go to the Harney Shoe store on 108th near Valentinos and take a look. They will cost more than many but my experience is they will outlast anything else and in the end are very competitive in a cost per length used. Harney has a good return / guarantee policy too


You're not the first to recommend Haney Shoes. I'm out near York. I wanted to go their Lincoln store on Tuesday evening when I was in town after work, but they close at 6 on Tuesday's.

I've got to take these Timberlands back, so I'll be in the area again soon.



For what it is worth I just looked at the Red Wing web site and it shows there is an authorized retailer in York. No idea what variety they stock or what they are like as a store but it may be worth just going and taking a look.

WESTERN EDGE
701 LINCOLN AVE
YORK, NE 68467
402-362-4881
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!

User avatar
jessep28
Planning Board
Posts: 2360
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:10 pm
Location: Omaha Metro Area

Re: Work Boot Recommendations

Postby jessep28 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:15 am

Random update. I ended up filing a warranty claim on these Keen boots I bought in May. A lace eyelet separated from the leather. Despite attaching a receipt showing that I paid way less than MSRP, Keen gave me a credit for the full retail price. The catch is that it has to be from their website.

I had some friction and callus issues with the outside of my big toe unless I cranked the laces down super tight, so I'm reluctant to get another Keen work boot with a composite toe. I may just go Redwing or whatever they recommend from Haney in Lincoln, and use the credit on a pair of sandals or work shoes instead. A heavy duty shoe would be nice for when I'm not out in the mud, but still could potentially have stuff fall on my toes.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum

bigredmed1
Home Owners Association
Posts: 114
Joined: Mon May 29, 2017 10:16 pm

Re: Work Boot Recommendations

Postby bigredmed1 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:39 am

jessep28 wrote:Random update. I ended up filing a warranty claim on these Keen boots I bought in May. A lace eyelet separated from the leather. Despite attaching a receipt showing that I paid way less than MSRP, Keen gave me a credit for the full retail price. The catch is that it has to be from their website.

I had some friction and callus issues with the outside of my big toe unless I cranked the laces down super tight, so I'm reluctant to get another Keen work boot with a composite toe. I may just go Redwing or whatever they recommend from Haney in Lincoln, and use the credit on a pair of sandals or work shoes instead. A heavy duty shoe would be nice for when I'm not out in the mud, but still could potentially have stuff fall on my toes.


Haneys Shoes are the Jedi of shoes and boots. I just buy what they tell me to. My feet have never been happier.

User avatar
jessep28
Planning Board
Posts: 2360
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:10 pm
Location: Omaha Metro Area

Re: Work Boot Recommendations

Postby jessep28 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:36 pm

Didn't get much guidance at the Lincoln store, but at least I can wear the boots for a month and take them back if I don't like them. Settled on some Red Wing 2280's.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum

GrandpaaSmucker
Home Owners Association
Posts: 96
Joined: Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:09 pm

Re: Work Boot Recommendations

Postby GrandpaaSmucker » Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:49 am

jessep28 wrote:Didn't get much guidance at the Lincoln store, but at least I can wear the boots for a month and take them back if I don't like them. Settled on some Red Wing 2280's.


So you started out with the Timberlands and you didnt like them so you took them back. Then you ordered the ones off the internet and they did not work so you got a credit. Now Redwing boots is the next lucky candidate er I mean unlucky candidate. Something tells me you are not going to like the Redwings either Goldilocks! :o

User avatar
nebugeater
County Board
Posts: 6078
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:07 pm
Location: Gretna NE

Re: Work Boot Recommendations

Postby nebugeater » Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:17 am

jessep28 wrote:Didn't get much guidance at the Lincoln store, but at least I can wear the boots for a month and take them back if I don't like them. Settled on some Red Wing 2280's.


I am betting you will like this choice.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!

mgoett
New to the Neighborhood
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:45 pm

Re: Work Boot Recommendations

Postby mgoett » Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:50 pm

Haney shoes in Benson has
the best boots and knowledgeable staff

bigredmed1
Home Owners Association
Posts: 114
Joined: Mon May 29, 2017 10:16 pm

Re: Work Boot Recommendations

Postby bigredmed1 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:38 am

mgoett wrote:Haney shoes in Benson has
the best boots and knowledgeable staff


The Force is strong with them. I pretty much tell them the kind of thing I need to do in the shoes and they tell me what to buy. Much happier feet now.

User avatar
jessep28
Planning Board
Posts: 2360
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:10 pm
Location: Omaha Metro Area

Re: Work Boot Recommendations

Postby jessep28 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:55 pm

Three weeks later, I've been very happy with these Red Wings. I did have to take them in after the first week to have the heel counter hammered down, but outside of that, they've been a good boot.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum

User avatar
nebugeater
County Board
Posts: 6078
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:07 pm
Location: Gretna NE

Re: Work Boot Recommendations

Postby nebugeater » Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:57 am

jessep28 wrote:Three weeks later, I've been very happy with these Red Wings. I did have to take them in after the first week to have the heel counter hammered down, but outside of that, they've been a good boot.



You will find they hold up well too
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!


Return to “eOmahaForums Bar and Grill”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests