The Crossroads (72 & Dodge)

West Omaha, Sarpy and Nebraska metro counties.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

RockHarbor
Planning Board

Re: Crossroads - Redevelopment Plan

Post by RockHarbor »

GetUrban wrote:
RockHarbor wrote:
choke wrote:
RockHarbor wrote:One thing I will miss about Crossroads when it is bulldozed is that tall arch of smokey/bronze glass on the old Dillards store. I love seeing that from 90th & Dodge. I wish they would take those panes, and put them on Oak View's Dillard store (Which to this day, still confuses me, why there are blah cement arches there, not mirrored-glass or smoky/bronze glass. Who does that?). Lol. You all talk about politics, money, and technicalities... I always talk about aesthetics. Both are important.

Was that originally a Dillard's? I don't remember if that wing was specifically built for them or not?
I don't think the north wing was specifically built for Dillards, but in the original late 80's remodel, a double-story wing was designed & added to the north, anchored by a department store, which was Dillards. (Being just in 6th grade when the new Crossroads opened, and living out in suburban Millard, I didn't know anything about Crossroads, or knew it even existed before that. I just knew Westroads. I can still remember driving up 72nd w/ my family, and seeing the white funnels, and my parents saying something about the "Crossroads has been remodeled", and all of us gawking at it. Thus, I remember being excited about a new mall in Omaha. Westroads was still brown & not remodeled, Mall of the Bluffs & Oak View were not built yet.)
The Dillards wing was originally built for Younkers, then Dillard bought them out, if I'm not mistaken.

Rock Harbor, I agree that the NW corner of 72nd and Dodge is a big disappointment, if it remains a parking lot. There at least needs to be something nicer at that corner, like a park or plaza, if it can't have a building right up near the street. The renderings look promising for the rest of the development though, IMO.
We agree finally! Getting a screen shot of this maybe -- a Kodak moment, for sure! :) Choke: You're correct about Younkers/Brandeis & Dillards. Dillards must have signed a deal when Crossroads was being remodeled & expanded in the late 80's. Correction: I meant Lakewood Commons in Lakewood, CO (not Lakeland, CO) is something to take a look at, as it is similar to the plans at Crossroads. It was also built in 60's suburbia after a dead mall was cleared out.
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
Chungus
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Chungus »

TitosBuritoBarn wrote:
Erik wrote:
RockHarbor wrote:
buildomaha wrote:
Chungus wrote:What a cluttered plan, just really bad design.
Omaha needs quality urban design with a sense of place, not this scrambled mess.
Couldn't agree with this more.
Can you both expand? What would you do differently? Are you both designers? I just feel ANY plan could be submitted, and in general, somebody is always going to say that. Remember, things can look great on paper, but be disappointing when built. Things can look blah on paper, but can be great & perfect when actually built. So, I always keep that in mind. (For example, who says you wouldn't make the same comment if the current layout of Aksarben Village was submitted, and you saw the overview of it on paper, not being able to visualize the pleasing picture we all see driving by on Center St.?) Personally, I feel like that Target stifles the creativity, and will always result in a "second best plan", rather than what could be if a clean slate to work with. But, whatever... I would rather see buildings or a parking garage replace the Target parking lot. We don't have to see the front of Target from Dodge in a dense, new urban development. (In 60's suburban Denver, Lakeland Commons in Lakeland, CO is something to examine that is similar to what they propose at Crossroads.)
I found their responses to also be odd. Seems like every approved project is heavily criticized on this forum. I thought the buildings looks very impressive. But then again, I am not a snooty urban developer or student.
Well, consider the Plaza in Kansas City - its streets are integrated into the local street grid, parking is hidden behind stores, buildings encourage access from each street they abut, you feel encouraged to get there by whatever mode of transportation best suits you. This doesn't quite do those things...
Absolutely agree. This plan lacks a simple and walkable street grid that easily could have been introduced to the site, even with the existing Target, BestBuy, and Garage. From a strictly plan perspective this one looks like a lot of different projects placed next to each other that don't seem to relate. A good urban design master plan will also use the grid to create a sense of place. The two most simple ways to accomplish this are.
1. "the main street" (Blackstone, Old Market, Benson, River's Edge) with retail, and preferably, mixed use buildings lining the sidewalk on either side. Plenty of on street parking, and any additional parking hidden behind the buildings with the access drives off of an alley or secondary street so that the pedestrian experience is not interrupted in the most important portion of the project.
2. "the town square" (Aksarben Village, Midtown Crossing) Same principles as above, but you get creative with the street grid to create an active open space fronted by buildings on as many sides as possible.

To be fair the middle portion of this project is an attempt at this, albeit a weak one. It's a little too disconnected from dodge which hurts the retail's chances of success. Don't get me wrong, this plan is much better than an empty mall, but it's just not worth the tiff.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

Interesting. I like that. That's what I personally like hearing: Detailed thoughts, detailed thinking. This thread is getting good... (The Lakewood Commons area I mentioned is built on a grid, too. I was just thinking that today, while looking at Lakewood Commons, that they should really think about a true grid at Crossroads, with the road immediately in front of Target being aligned w/ the grid. I need to look back at the latest plan. It's sorta a grid, I know...)
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
buildomaha
Human Relations

Post by buildomaha »

Erik wrote:
RockHarbor wrote:
buildomaha wrote:
Chungus wrote:What a cluttered plan, just really bad design.
Omaha needs quality urban design with a sense of place, not this scrambled mess.
Couldn't agree with this more.
Can you both expand? What would you do differently? Are you both designers? I just feel ANY plan could be submitted, and in general, somebody is always going to say that. Remember, things can look great on paper, but be disappointing when built. Things can look blah on paper, but can be great & perfect when actually built. So, I always keep that in mind. (For example, who says you wouldn't make the same comment if the current layout of Aksarben Village was submitted, and you saw the overview of it on paper, not being able to visualize the pleasing picture we all see driving by on Center St.?) Personally, I feel like that Target stifles the creativity, and will always result in a "second best plan", rather than what could be if a clean slate to work with. But, whatever... I would rather see buildings or a parking garage replace the Target parking lot. We don't have to see the front of Target from Dodge in a dense, new urban development. (In 60's suburban Denver, Lakeland Commons in Lakeland, CO is something to examine that is similar to what they propose at Crossroads.)
I found their responses to also be odd. Seems like every approved project is heavily criticized on this forum. I thought the buildings looks very impressive. But then again, I am not a snooty urban developer or student.
Parking separating buildings that are in the same development is my main complaint. Whats one of the most looked down upon lots in any urban area? Surface parking lots. This is supposed to be an urbanized area and Yates didn't even separate the stores in NEX with parking lots. Stores on the fringe of a development, separated by parking typically aren't successful and tenants are in and out of those spaces all the time.
Secondly I also believe that the way the streets lack integration into the surrounding area is annoying. My biggest issue is how separated everything seems on the map. Almost zero walkability. You'd have to have a car to get around this design :lol:
#gohawks
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

I'm down in Kansas City and I drove by the beautiful and warm & cozy Briarcliff development north of Downtown Kansas City. Are we sure the development shouldn't have European style & flair like that (terra cotta roofs, black iron, stucco)? I realize Kansas City pulls that off better than Omaha, but I think Omaha could possibly. We just don't have anything like that in Omaha. I also noticed they are bulldozing the Metro North Mall. I wonder if they are doing an urban style development in its place? (I drove downtown and there are new glassy, light & airy rectangular buildings going up. Kansas City is getting even more impressive. There are so many old & new textures mixed together -- almost like a mini Manhattan. It is just delightful for a person who loves urban photography. Love Kansas City.)
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

RockHarbor wrote:I'm down in Kansas City and I drove by the beautiful and warm & cozy Briarcliff development north of Downtown Kansas City. Are we sure the development shouldn't have European style & flair like that (terra cotta roofs, black iron, stucco)? I realize Kansas City pulls that off better than Omaha, but I think Omaha could possibly. We just don't have anything like that in Omaha. I also noticed they are bulldozing the Metro North Mall. I wonder if they are doing an urban style development in its place? (I drove downtown and there are new glassy, light & airy rectangular buildings going up. Kansas City is getting even more impressive. There are so many old & new textures mixed together -- almost like a mini Manhattan. It is just delightful for a person who loves urban photography. Love Kansas City.)

We were in KC Saturday-Monday, stayed downtown. So much development going on. Sounds like they are getting ready to go hard at redeveloping the West Bottoms area around Kemper. Love the Briarcliff area.
Joe_Sovereign
Library Board

Post by Joe_Sovereign »

buildomaha wrote: Parking separating buildings that are in the same development is my main complaint. Whats one of the most looked down upon lots in any urban area? Surface parking lots. This is supposed to be an urbanized area and Yates didn't even separate the stores in NEX with parking lots. Stores on the fringe of a development, separated by parking typically aren't successful and tenants are in and out of those spaces all the time.
Secondly I also believe that the way the streets lack integration into the surrounding area is annoying. My biggest issue is how separated everything seems on the map. Almost zero walkability. You'd have to have a car to get around this design :lol:
I whole heartily agree with this. This design is deliberately unwalkable.

This is barely better than a Walmart that has an Applebee's on the otherside of it's development. It is theoretically walkable if you cross the massive Walmart parking lot, cross the busy access road with no crosswalk, walk in the grass along the road to the Applebee's driveway because that is the only bridge over the drainage ditch moat and then walk across the Applebee's parking lot to the front door facing away from the rest of the development and out to the street.

Is there any element of this design that would even keep the residents, hotel guest, or office workers on site if they are looking to hang out, shop, or dine.
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

All good arguments here. IF this EVER gets to a planning board and city council agenda you really need to plan to attend as a group and make these arguments. Make it a forum meet. AND, contact the mayor and city council members NOW with your concerns. They need to hear them NOW. Especially the mayor and whoever is city councilperson for crossroads district. Keep the heat on. Encourage the mayor NOT to offer incentives for the proposed plan, for the reasons expressed here. Use the power of this forum to change things. It is true that whoever owns the property can do whatever they want within zoning and other parameters, but the public does have a right to have input. Maybe for once there can be enough pressure to change. Contact Omaha by Design.

Posting here is fine but ramp it up and pressure those officials who are elected to serve YOU!

BE THE SQUEAKY WHEEL!
debradomayer
Library Board

Post by debradomayer »

NovakOmaha wrote:All good arguments here. IF this EVER gets to a planning board and city council agenda you really need to plan to attend as a group and make these arguments. Make it a forum meet. AND, contact the mayor and city council members NOW with your concerns. They need to hear them NOW. Especially the mayor and whoever is city councilperson for crossroads district. Keep the heat on. Encourage the mayor NOT to offer incentives for the proposed plan, for the reasons expressed here. Use the power of this forum to change things. It is true that whoever owns the property can do whatever they want within zoning and other parameters, but the public does have a right to have input. Maybe for once there can be enough pressure to change. Contact Omaha by Design.

Posting here is fine but ramp it up and pressure those officials who are elected to serve YOU!

BE THE SQUEAKY WHEEL!
Pete Festerson is the councilman for that area
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

Greg S wrote:
RockHarbor wrote:I'm down in Kansas City and I drove by the beautiful and warm & cozy Briarcliff development north of Downtown Kansas City. Are we sure the development shouldn't have European style & flair like that (terra cotta roofs, black iron, stucco)? I realize Kansas City pulls that off better than Omaha, but I think Omaha could possibly. We just don't have anything like that in Omaha. I also noticed they are bulldozing the Metro North Mall. I wonder if they are doing an urban style development in its place? (I drove downtown and there are new glassy, light & airy rectangular buildings going up. Kansas City is getting even more impressive. There are so many old & new textures mixed together -- almost like a mini Manhattan. It is just delightful for a person who loves urban photography. Love Kansas City.)

We were in KC Saturday-Monday, stayed downtown. So much development going on. Sounds like they are getting ready to go hard at redeveloping the West Bottoms area around Kemper. Love the Briarcliff area.
Oh, funny... We were both down there at the same time! I love all the new development going on. Glad we see eye-to-eye on lovely Briarciff. By the way, I truly think the "race is on" as KC watches Omaha's city population creep ever closer to theirs. Both cities have now beat St. Louis & Minneapolis (with their boxed-in city limits), and KC is steps ahead of Omaha. I'm sure Kansas City doesn't want "little sister Omaha" to take the crown as a "larger city" than they are. They are building tall & bulky urban residential buildings, developing the river bottoms (as mentioned), and they seem more aggressive about developing the north suburban areas within their city limits. I'm not saying that drive isn't natural, but I'm wondering if growing Omaha isn't part of the drive. (No offense to Omaha, love my hometown & root for it, but Omaha is not near as beautiful of a city and an urban center as Kansas City, imo -- at least not yet. That should maybe be our drive...)
Crossroads: I'm not saying Crossroads should look exactly like a "Briarcliff", but I'm simply wondering if European flair & elegance shouldn't be incorporated more there. Maybe instead of stucco, like Briarcliff, they should use brick -- having a similar elegance seen in the new Loveland Center (90th & Center). Sometimes I think we need a little "escapism" & "aire of romance" in Omaha, without carrying it too far. ( At the Plaza in KC, I'm so delighted and transported to Old World Europe, it is almost strange for me to later leave Kansas City, and drive into typical American suburbs w/ water towers, strip malls, and ranch houses. ) Creating a development w/ general, charming touches of European elegance is not something usually ever a wrong choice -- unless we're talking Nome, Alaska. Who doesn't like The Plaza & Briarcliff in Kansas City? Who doesn't like the new charming Loveland Center in Omaha? Who doesn't like Fairacres & Happy Hollow & all the classy homes (including many Tudors)? It's all borrowed from Old World Europe. Now, I like the modern stuff, too -- but we already have so much of that in Omaha. At Briarcliff, everything has to have that European charming touch, even a 10-story office building. Thus, everything looks crowd-pleasing rich & stylish. I'm talking a development that is so beautiful & lovely & well done, that "Scott & Kayla" ditch the typical Old Market for engagement pictures, and head here instead... OTHER THOUGHTS: If not European elegance, what about a development decked in the likeable long roof lines & rectangular, inset windows of Frank Lloyd Wright's "Prairie Style?" Or, if modern style, what about light & airy boxes like those seen being built in Kansas City, or like that "Old Orchard Woods" in the Chicago area, designed by that ultra-sharp Optima firm (which also has a spectacular Scottsdale property)? Whatever happens, I just want to see something that "raises the bar" in Omaha a bit. There's style, and then there's STYLE.
buildomaha
Human Relations

Post by buildomaha »

RockHarbor wrote:
Greg S wrote:

Oh, funny... We were both down there at the same time! I love all the new development going on. Glad we see eye-to-eye on lovely Briarciff. By the way, I truly think the "race is on" as KC watches Omaha's city population creep ever closer to theirs. Both cities have now beat St. Louis & Minneapolis (with their boxed-in city limits), and KC is steps ahead of Omaha. I'm sure Kansas City doesn't want "little sister Omaha" to take the crown as a "larger city" than they are. They are building tall & bulky urban residential buildings, developing the river bottoms (as mentioned), and they seem more aggressive about developing the north suburban areas within their city limits. I'm not saying that drive isn't natural, but I'm wondering if growing Omaha isn't part of the drive. (No offense to Omaha, love my hometown & root for it, but Omaha is not near as beautiful of a city and an urban center as Kansas City, imo -- at least not yet. That should maybe be our drive...)
Crossroads: I'm not saying Crossroads should look exactly like a "Briarcliff", but I'm simply wondering if European flair & elegance shouldn't be incorporated more there. Maybe instead of stucco, like Briarcliff, they should use brick -- having a similar elegance seen in the new Loveland Center (90th & Center). Sometimes I think we need a little "escapism" & "aire of romance" in Omaha, without carrying it too far. ( At the Plaza in KC, I'm so delighted and transported to Old World Europe, it is almost strange for me to later leave Kansas City, and drive into typical American suburbs w/ water towers, strip malls, and ranch houses. ) Creating a development w/ general, charming touches of European elegance is not something usually ever a wrong choice -- unless we're talking Nome, Alaska. Who doesn't like The Plaza & Briarcliff in Kansas City? Who doesn't like the new charming Loveland Center in Omaha? Who doesn't like Fairacres & Happy Hollow & all the classy homes (including many Tudors)? It's all borrowed from Old World Europe. Now, I like the modern stuff, too -- but we already have so much of that in Omaha. At Briarcliff, everything has to have that European charming touch, even a 10-story office building. Thus, everything looks crowd-pleasing rich & stylish. I'm talking a development that is so beautiful & lovely & well done, that "Scott & Kayla" ditch the typical Old Market for engagement pictures, and head here instead... OTHER THOUGHTS: If not European elegance, what about a development decked in the likeable long roof lines & rectangular, inset windows of Frank Lloyd Wright's "Prairie Style?" Or, if modern style, what about light & airy boxes like those seen being built in Kansas City, or like that "Old Orchard Woods" in the Chicago area, designed by that ultra-sharp Optima firm (which also has a spectacular Scottsdale property)? Whatever happens, I just want to see something that "raises the bar" in Omaha a bit. There's style, and then there's STYLE.
I mean it is Omaha's supposed main intersection, can we not expect something new and exciting there? Oh wait I almost forgot Yates was the developer on the project. With him we can't ask for anything more than bad "Urban" design and typical boring architecture. Even Village Pointe has some faux features to make the buildings more attractive. And its in suburbia and manages to be walkable (mostly).
#gohawks
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

You can tell the guys on the Grow Omaha show are bump buddies with Yates. It sounded like they were tamping expectations and already differing blame on the city.
15-17, 26, 32
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

buildomaha wrote:
RockHarbor wrote:
Greg S wrote:

I mean it is Omaha's supposed main intersection, can we not expect something new and exciting there? Oh wait I almost forgot Yates was the developer on the project. With him we can't ask for anything more than bad "Urban" design and typical boring architecture. Even Village Pointe has some faux features to make the buildings more attractive. And its in suburbia and manages to be walkable (mostly).
I like Village Pointe, but I have to drive on the main avenue just south of it to remind myself the exterior facade is "up to par" with things I see in other cities. It really is sharp & lovely. (You mainly see its boring "rear end" from Dodge.) As far as the area, the plaza right across the street is very blah/strange and disappointing to me, the other "modern abstract" plaza to the east of it (near Taco Johns) had to be redone it was so strange & "out there." (Why don't we just create strip malls w/ nice-looking & safe gables, peaks, towers, and turrets like Kansas City? My gosh. Thankfully, one is going up on 168th south of Giles called "Tiburon Pointe." It is so sharp & perfect, looking like something out of suburban Kansas City.) Many of the new office buildings & medical center to the west of it look great, imo, but I CRINGE at the new office building by Pitch Pizza (although I like the company/ies it houses). Most of it is a sharp, shimmering glass curtain of blue glass, but then all that ends w/ a stone feature mixed w/ an abrupt upward slant of glass + grid that looks better suited to dress-up the corner entrance of a new, boring cement industrial warehouse out by Sapp Brothers. It almost looks like that corner was created to match Pitch Pizza, or something. (Seriously? Who mixes hearthy gray stone w/ a shimmery, modern curtain wall of tinted blue glass on an office building?! It would have looked so sharp just being left all glass corner to corner. I even put it on FB, and one of my friends, not even into design, was like: "It looks like a chimney..." Exactly...we now have a nice new blue office building in West Omaha -- perfect, except it has a gray chimney feature. So silly. Some things in Omaha, I literally ask myself: "Did an apprentice, who's still learning, from UNL design that?" Getting design RIGHT is so important -- nothing less than excellence & perfection. I'm so tired of Omaha allowing DUMB design here & there.) I don't follow the politics with all this, so I see Yates as simply somebody that is passionate (like we are) to see Crossroads developed, and is a "visionary", but we all just hope he catches the right vision for the site -- of course. On a positive note, one newer building in Omaha that has "STYLE!" (imo) is that building w/ the balconies & flapping rooflines in Aksarben Village (right near when you pull in from Center). That's excellent.
Last edited by RockHarbor on Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

omaha79 wrote:
ricko wrote:I'd like to see Sears survive with what they do best. Their Kenmore appliances, Craftsman tools and lawn/garden stuff are top notch and fairly priced. I live less than a mile from a "Sears Outlet" store that sells only their hardware/appliances.
If they are going to survive as a brand, the stores like the one they have on 25th and Cornhusker in Bellevue will be how they will do it. I'm not sure that business model of essentially being a catalog showroom works in a place like Omaha though. I could see it working in smaller towns where there aren't as many retail options.
Sears just made an agreement with Amazon to sell online their Kenmore-branded appliances — such as refrigerators, dishwashers, and washing machines.
buildomaha
Human Relations

Post by buildomaha »

http://www.omaha.com/news/metro/stother ... 4e33c.html
Mayor Jean Stothert has revoked the city’s tentative incentives offer for Crossroads Mall after the developer sent “deficient” redevelopment plans and failed to meet another deadline.

City Attorney Paul Kratz wrote in letter Tuesday that Rod Yates’ application for a preliminary plat and rezoning was incomplete.

Kratz said Yates also failed to follow up on a number of missing or incomplete items on his application for tax-increment financing.

As a result, the city is terminating a nonbinding agreement concerning the site that the mayor signed in May, and there is no longer any plan for the site approved by the city.
All I have to say is FINALLY.
#gohawks
debradomayer
Library Board

Post by debradomayer »

Shocking!!! I never saw that coming. Thanks Mayor, now perhaps we can get someone to develop the site without all the deception and procrastination :clap:
EricHaley
Human Relations

Post by EricHaley »

buildomaha wrote:http://www.omaha.com/news/metro/stother ... 4e33c.html
Mayor Jean Stothert has revoked the city’s tentative incentives offer for Crossroads Mall after the developer sent “deficient” redevelopment plans and failed to meet another deadline.

City Attorney Paul Kratz wrote in letter Tuesday that Rod Yates’ application for a preliminary plat and rezoning was incomplete.

Kratz said Yates also failed to follow up on a number of missing or incomplete items on his application for tax-increment financing.

As a result, the city is terminating a nonbinding agreement concerning the site that the mayor signed in May, and there is no longer any plan for the site approved by the city.
All I have to say is FINALLY.
BOOM!!
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

But what's his name still owns the land, right? So, now there is no plan and the land still sits in the hands of these clowns?

Hope I'm wrong.
No posts exist for this topic
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

“Projects of this scale don’t typically come together with strict deadlines,” he said in an email, adding that there are “lots of moving parts associated with my vision for Crossroads.”

He could have ended the statement earlier...something like this:

“Projects of this scale don’t typically come together” and “adding that there are “lots of moving parts associated with my vision for Crossroads, and I don't want the moving parts to be money from me.”

I don't get this guy. According to an article in the Kansas City Business Journal he almost single handedly leased the Legends in KC. He's no slouch except for Crossroads. The only thing i can figure is that whoever he's gone to for money and leases looked at his plan and the Omaha retail environment and the location of Crossroads and said it's a dog. I can't figure any other reason for seven years and nothing done.
debradomayer
Library Board

Post by debradomayer »

MadMartin8 wrote:But what's his name still owns the land, right? So, now there is no plan and the land still sits in the hands of these clowns?

Hope I'm wrong.
Sounds to me like Frank Krecji owns the property & Yates was the developer. There are a few outstanding developers in town. Noddle comes to mind although they're pretty busy with West Farm.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

debradomayer wrote:
MadMartin8 wrote:But what's his name still owns the land, right? So, now there is no plan and the land still sits in the hands of these clowns?

Hope I'm wrong.
Sounds to me like Frank Krecji owns the property & Yates was the developer. There are a few outstanding developers in town. Noddle comes to mind although they're pretty busy with West Farm.
And Rivers Edge...
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

I'm trying to think of the "smiley" that best conveyes my feelings about the current Crossroads redevelopment debacle..

Oh yeah- this:

:deadhorse:...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

I wonder if we should look out of town for the developer. Cordish?

Greg
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

I don't think we have the demographic base around Crossroads to make a development like this happen, but The Domain in Austin is one of the coolest and well executed "mall" developments I have seen. Google Map it and click down Rock Rose and Century Oaks to see what I mean. Rock Rose is the bar/dining street in the development and each different storefront has a unique design and finish with different materials to make it feel like something like Benson more than a strip mall.

That is what the ideal model for Crossroads should be.
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

iamjacobm wrote:I don't think we have the demographic base around Crossroads to make a development like this happen, but The Domain in Austin is one of the coolest and well executed "mall" developments I have seen. Google Map it and click down Rock Rose and Century Oaks to see what I mean. Rock Rose is the bar/dining street in the development and each different storefront has a unique design and finish with different materials to make it feel like something like Benson more than a strip mall.

That is what the ideal model for Crossroads should be.
That's a really interesting concept. I love the idea of using creativity and art to make it unique and one of a kind. It doesn't feel as contrived as the main street of that mall. Hipsters follow the artists, so if artists were able to make their mark on the development, I think it would work.
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

On the Noon Forum on NPR, the mayor hinted that there may be a potential buyer for Crossroads and she is more optimistic than ever that Crossroads is going to move forward. I think everyone saw this coming.

You can hear her "Vision for Omaha" at the Noon Forum here: http://kios.org/programs/noon-forum
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Some guy is serving crossroads.
15-17, 26, 32
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

MTO wrote:Some guy is serving crossroads.
What is he serving? Pina Coladas?
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Surveying
15-17, 26, 32
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

MTO wrote:Surveying
I have said this before, but just a reminder, Surveying doesn't always mean construction. It also doesn't mean they are actually working on the lot they are setup on.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

The never-ending saga of the latest Crossroads rebirth continues...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:The never-ending saga of the latest Crossroads rebirth continues...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Well, my trifecta is blown. I was all about Crossroads, the new terminal at Des Moines Airport and the new terminal at KCI airport. KC voted for a new terminal, though there are still hoops to jump through. I'm still taking predictions on what will open first.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

NovakOmaha wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:The never-ending saga of the latest Crossroads rebirth continues...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Well, my trifecta is blown. I was all about Crossroads, the new terminal at Des Moines Airport and the new terminal at KCI airport. KC voted for a new terminal, though there are still hoops to jump through. I'm still taking predictions on what will open first.
I hear you my friend. I do believe the Crossroads will be reborn again..

The question is, will this rebirth actually happen within our lifetimes? :what: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Sears officially closing at Crossroads.

https://www.omaha.com/money/sears-store ... 016cd.html

Greg
Cermak
Parks & Recreation

Post by Cermak »

Just Target and Barnes and Nobles will be left. Any plans for this mall still ? Hello ? ......(Just silence) .
Padre
Human Relations

Post by Padre »

Greg S wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:53 pm Sears officially closing at Crossroads.

https://www.omaha.com/money/sears-store ... 016cd.html

Greg
I think we all knew it was just a matter of time.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

It's sad, but Sears didnt keep up with the times enough, imo. Plus, that particular Crossroads store, which sat unremodeled from the 60's, year after year, decade after decade, only helped lead it to its "goin' out of business" destiny. (Who ever thinks a store/business is doing well, when a remodel is always withheld that long? Who is attracted to a store that looks like that on the outside? Old ladies who still wear beehive hairdos? Restaurants west of 168th & Maple have already remodeled their interiors.) Anyways, still sad. Surely & hopefully, Sears won't completely go away. I hope they can still stick around somewhere. They are such a great part of American history. (Maybe they can rid themselves of all the expensive brick & mortar stores, and have a major online presence. People still love buying appliances from Sears.)
FirebirdEngineer
Home Owners Association

Post by FirebirdEngineer »

RockHarbor wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:37 pm Plus, that particular Crossroads store, which sat unremodeled from the 60's, year after year, decade after decade, only helped lead it to its "goin' out of business" destiny. (Who ever thinks a store/business is doing well, when a remodel is always withheld that long? Who is attracted to a store that looks like that on the outside?
I doubt a new coat of paint and some other structural improvements on a single store location would've done anything to improve the financial outlook for the entire company.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

FirebirdEngineer wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:58 pm
RockHarbor wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:37 pm Plus, that particular Crossroads store, which sat unremodeled from the 60's, year after year, decade after decade, only helped lead it to its "goin' out of business" destiny. (Who ever thinks a store/business is doing well, when a remodel is always withheld that long? Who is attracted to a store that looks like that on the outside?
I doubt a new coat of paint and some other structural improvements on a single store location would've done anything to improve the financial outlook for the entire company.
Coincidentally, certain aspects of the mid-century modern decor of the un-remodeled Sears are probably back in style again now. I'll never forget the look of the terrazzo floors in the stairways and lower level and the unique "Sears" smell the store had, and the pushy sales people in the appliance area, and their great tool selection. I'm surprised it lasted this long.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

FirebirdEngineer wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:58 pm
Really? Gosh, I was thinking the whole REAL reason behind Sears' demise, and why they eventually even lost the Sears Tower in Chicago, was ALL because of unremodeled, still-wonky Omaha, Nebraska 72nd & Dodge store. (Sarcasm) I'm talking it didnt help their image locally, and all gave us a clue about the state of Sears. Of course, there was a newer & nice store at Oakview, so of course the unremodel wasn't even the full blame. You know what I mean, too. It's very unusual for a mall to be built in the 1960's, be expanded & remodeled in the late 80's, reach its peak in the 90's and decline to a sad state currently, and through all the seasons & times, from a baby born to them being almost a grey-haired 60 year-old, Sears at 72nd & Dodge looks exactly the same. Strange & unusual, and not attractive, and almost repulsive enough to never walk in there -- if you ask me.