Toyota looking to build new US plant

Post by Brad »

About to talk about this on Grow Omaha

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/ca ... 539179001/
Coyote
City Council

Re: Toyota looking to build new US plant

Post by Coyote »

2 million sq ft manucturing building with 1 million sq ft parts building.
It will need 1000-1500 acres somewhere close to the interstate.
damonhynes
Parks & Recreation

Post by damonhynes »

Coyote wrote:It will need 1000-1500 acres somewhere close to the interstate.
And with access to two railroads. If we're limiting this to Omaha metro, with trackage rights, it could be anywhere but for immediate two-railroad access...Glenwood? Plattsmouth?

RR access isn't the dealmaker though, it depends on what state/municipality will cough up the incentives. My money's on Texas.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Plattsmouth has 2, but Glenwood does not. Omaha, Bellevue, Fremont, Yutan, Lincoln, and Columbus. Southern Council Bluffs has 3 railroads when you throw in the IAIS RR.

Another thought, OPPD owns a rail line that runs from Lincoln to Nebraska City, and they recently re-opened the line. In Nebraska City the line connects to the UP, on the Lincoln end of the line, it connects to the BNSF. They recently re-opened the line and built a new grain facility near Syracuse, NE.
damonhynes
Parks & Recreation

Post by damonhynes »

Brad wrote:Plattsmouth has 2, but Glenwood does not.
You're right, but it ain't that far to Oreopolis, especially if Toyota 'suggested' BNSF share :-)
Brad wrote: Omaha, Bellevue, Fremont, Yutan, Lincoln, and Columbus. Southern Council Bluffs has 3 railroads when you throw in the IAIS RR.
I thought about throwing in CN, too but I'm not sure how much time-sensitive freight goes on either CN or IAIS.
Brad wrote: Another thought, OPPD owns a rail line that runs from Lincoln to Nebraska City, and they recently re-opened the line. In Nebraska City the line connects to the UP, on the Lincoln end of the line, it connects to the BNSF. They recently re-opened the line and built a new grain facility near Syracuse, NE.
OPPD subs out the train crew, and locomotives to UP, is that correct? Still good to see in any case.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Did they say Nebraska is actually in the running? I saw there was a list of about 10 states floating around and Nebraska wasn't on it, but Iowa was.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

iamjacobm wrote:Did they say Nebraska is actually in the running?
Yes, Randy Thelen from the Chamber of Commerce was talking it up on Grow Omaha.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

iamjacobm wrote:Did they say Nebraska is actually in the running? I saw there was a list of about 10 states floating around and Nebraska wasn't on it, but Iowa was.
Starts about the 21 min mark:
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Thanks, Ill give it a listen tonight.
OmahaOmaha
Home Owners Association

Post by OmahaOmaha »

I found this on the Jacksonville Business Journal. It doesn't look like Nebraska is on the list of states they are considering.

https://www.bizjournals.com/jacksonvill ... -into.html
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

OmahaOmaha wrote:I found this on the Jacksonville Business Journal. It doesn't look like Nebraska is on the list of states they are considering.

https://www.bizjournals.com/jacksonvill ... -into.html
Not surprising. Although their story did, surprisingly, include the state of Iowa on their "states in the running" list.. Florida does not acknowledge Nebraska as an actual place.. Therfore, how could the Jacksonville Biz Jounal include "The Good Life State" on their list?..

:;): ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

Was listening to a piece on NPR about globalization and they were interviewing a guy in Greenville, SC. They guy said the largest BMW plant in the world came down to Greenville, SC and Omaha, NE. I guess we know where that got built. But that was something I didn't know.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Good to hear all of the organizations got organized quickly. Obviously incentives will be a big thing here, but I think getting a site organized will be important too. We saw that the Chamber learned that from early data center misses.
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

choke wrote:Was listening to a piece on NPR about globalization and they were interviewing a guy in Greenville, SC. They guy said the largest BMW plant in the world came down to Greenville, SC and Omaha, NE. I guess we know where that got built. But that was something I didn't know.
Three deals Nebraska was in the running for. Micron Technology wanted to put a chip plant in Nebraska. It went to Utah. Mercedes. BMW. BMW went to SC because they had a port. Mercedes went to Alabama. Same deal.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I believe Trenton asked during the interview about needed a port and the answer was no because these cars are for US customers only.
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

NovakOmaha wrote:
choke wrote:Was listening to a piece on NPR about globalization and they were interviewing a guy in Greenville, SC. They guy said the largest BMW plant in the world came down to Greenville, SC and Omaha, NE. I guess we know where that got built. But that was something I didn't know.
Three deals Nebraska was in the running for. Micron Technology wanted to put a chip plant in Nebraska. It went to Utah. Mercedes. BMW. BMW went to SC because they had a port. Mercedes went to Alabama. Same deal.
Mercedes wanted to be in the eastern time zone and used our leadership to beat up on Alabama. BMW wanted to be on the Atlantic and again our leaders at time time allowed them to string us along.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

Would Nebraska have the labor pool to staff a 1-2,000 employee car factory?
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

jessep28 wrote:Would Nebraska have the labor pool to staff a 1-2,000 employee car factory?
Given the easy drive from Illinois and the economic collapse building there, I could see a big "No Problem!" line of UHauls heading west on I80.
damonhynes
Parks & Recreation

Post by damonhynes »

Is anyone glad that Mircon didn't choose Nebraska? That company lays off chunks of their workforce so often it makes First Data blush.
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

I don't remember which one...I want to say BMW, but there was a rumor that one of them was actually ready to choose Nebraska but the land wasn't being offered for free. I also think it was something about shovel ready land. It's been a while and at my advanced age my memory isn't what it was.

When Micron was choosing the Unicameral rushed a series of incentives and bills through called "Micron Bills" that offered a ton of cash to them. It was a very big deal.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/4057 ... ODIES.html

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/1995/f ... nly-sites/
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

bigredmed1 wrote:
jessep28 wrote:Would Nebraska have the labor pool to staff a 1-2,000 employee car factory?
Given the easy drive from Illinois and the economic collapse building there, I could see a big "No Problem!" line of UHauls heading west on I80.
Given the situation with Cabela's, I'm sure it'd be a godsend for Sidney.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
EricHaley
Human Relations

Post by EricHaley »

RNcyanide wrote:
bigredmed1 wrote:
Given the situation with Cabela's, I'm sure it'd be a godsend for Sidney.
That is an excellent idea!
ricko
Parks & Recreation

Post by ricko »

Yes, and they would probably get at least 10 applicants for every position. These are good paying blue-collar jobs, and Nebraska should be bending over backwards to attract jobs like these.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

ricko wrote:
Yes, and they would probably get at least 10 applicants for every position. These are good paying blue-collar jobs, and Nebraska should be bending over backwards to attract jobs like these.
Not if it involves the legislature and local governments writing a blank check. A multi billion dollar auto manufacturer should build a plant with 100% of their own money.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

jessep28 wrote:
ricko wrote:
Not if it involves the legislature and local governments writing a blank check. A multi billion dollar auto manufacturer should build a plant with 100% of their own money.

Unfortunately that's not the way it works. Whether it's moving or building a new high-rise HQ or a manufacturer, incentives will be involved.

Greg
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Announced that Huntsville, Alabama won the competition. Combined state and local incentives are between $800 and $900 million for the facility.
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

iamjacobm wrote:Announced that Huntsville, Alabama won the competition. Combined state and local incentives are between $800 and $900 million for the facility.
Those are hefty.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Louie wrote:
iamjacobm wrote:Announced that Huntsville, Alabama won the competition. Combined state and local incentives are between $800 and $900 million for the facility.
Those are hefty.
Some reports saying NC's were upwards of 1.5 billion.