Streetlight replacement with LED's

Trains, Planes, and Automobiles (and Streetcars!).

Moderators: Coyote, Omaha Cowboy, Brad, nebugeater

OmahaFan
Home Owners Association

Streetlight replacement with LED's

Postby OmahaFan » Fri May 19, 2017 11:11 am

I was wondering what's everyone opinion if Omaha started to replace the Street light's we currently have with LED's?

GetUrban
Parks & Recreation

Re: Streetlight replacement with LED's

Postby GetUrban » Fri May 19, 2017 12:52 pm

OmahaFan wrote:I was wondering what's everyone opinion if Omaha started to replace the Street light's we currently have with LED's?

I think it's only a matter of time until you'll see a switch-over to LED's in Omaha. It's already happening privately due to the increased energy efficiency required by the newer energy codes (IEEC) LED's last longer than High Pressure Sodium (HPS) lamps, use less power, and produce a wider range, higher quality color-temperature light output.

Here's a good comparison...
http://www.charlottefl.com/outreach/agenda/20160920/3.pdf
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.

OmahaFan
Home Owners Association

Postby OmahaFan » Fri May 19, 2017 1:06 pm

Well there is currently LED lights on the bridge by the Zoo heading into Iowa. I think Council Bluff's will be stringing them across there section of the Highway due to the major construction project regarding the Highway. I know recently that the City of Omaha wanted to replace the Street light signals with LED bulbs but the public was concerned about it because apparently during the winter the bulbs wouldn't melt away the snow causing possible issue's. I think if the City of Omaha want's to cut electric cost and reduce pollution emission's that they should switch all Street light's over to LED. Also regarding the bright white it gives off I think the City of Omaha could find a product that would direct the beam down and reduce the chance of that white light intruding into someone's home. I have to admit it get's annoying when your heading onto the interstate at 42nd street and all the light's on the Interstate are out. I know they are working because I see them on sometime's. I really don't know why they shut off huge swaths of lights. I recently saw a video on Youtube where a city was trying out new light's and well one of the cool thing's is that when a emergency truck or car turned on there light's and siren's the light's responded to that by creating red strobes to warn driver's of the oncoming emergency unit's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_LmKiWSC1E

(Here is the video I'm talking about)

EricHaley
Home Owners Association

Postby EricHaley » Tue May 23, 2017 9:01 am

Lincoln is actively replacing street lights with LEDs. The recently widened stretch of Old Cheney between 70th & 84th is entirely LED and it looks awesome!

Brad
City Council

Postby Brad » Tue May 30, 2017 8:51 am

The I80 bridge over the Missouri River and parts of I80 in the bluffs look so much better with LED lights. I can't wait until Omaha starts using them too. I first saw LED streetlights in Colorado a few years ago and was really struck by how nice and white the color is.
Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
http://www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
http://www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
@bradwphoto on Twitter
Greater Omaha Chamber of Commerce Member

OmahaFan
Home Owners Association

Postby OmahaFan » Wed May 31, 2017 8:50 am

I was just in Madison WI and Middleton WI and they already have LED street light's lining some of there streets. I really think Omaha would save a butt load on electricity and OPPD wouldn't need to replace burned out light bulbs that often. Then again we have the sewer Separation project going on so I doubt Omaha would want to fund installing new LED street light's.

jessep28
Planning Board

Postby jessep28 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:46 pm

OmahaFan wrote:I was just in Madison WI and Middleton WI and they already have LED street light's lining some of there streets. I really think Omaha would save a butt load on electricity and OPPD wouldn't need to replace burned out light bulbs that often. Then again we have the sewer Separation project going on so I doubt Omaha would want to fund installing new LED street light's.

It would take several years, but the sodium vapor bulbs could be swapped out for LED units during regular maintenance.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum

nativeomahan
Planning Board

Postby nativeomahan » Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:55 pm

The city of Hastings, Nebraska is well on its way to changing out street lights to LED. And the city of Puerto Vallarta, Mexico pretty much did this in the past couple of years.

OmahaFan
Home Owners Association

Postby OmahaFan » Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:32 am

Well I guess I could get in contact with my new council member about bringing this up during the city council debate or at least send a email up the Mayor's office and seeing what they have to say. I think if Omaha was serious about saving money they should look strongly into replacing the old street lights with more efficient lighting. Not only would this help save electricity for Omaha and Omaha Tax payer's but it would also improve public safety in my opinion due to a more bright lighting system. Does anyone know how I can get in contact with my Council member from South Omaha?

nebraska
Home Owners Association

Postby nebraska » Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:18 am

OmahaFan wrote:Does anyone know how I can get in contact with my Council member from South Omaha?

Other than this? https://citycouncil.cityofomaha.org/cou ... district-4

GetUrban
Parks & Recreation

Postby GetUrban » Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:38 pm

OmahaFan wrote:Well I guess I could get in contact with my new council member about bringing this up during the city council debate or at least send a email up the Mayor's office and seeing what they have to say. I think if Omaha was serious about saving money they should look strongly into replacing the old street lights with more efficient lighting. Not only would this help save electricity for Omaha and Omaha Tax payer's but it would also improve public safety in my opinion due to a more bright lighting system. Does anyone know how I can get in contact with my Council member from South Omaha?

I would be surprised if it wasn't already being discussed by public works as part of their long-range planning. The old HPS fixtures will eventually be discontinued as more and more communities switch over to LED for greater efficiency and longevity.

But it wouldn't hurt to let the mayor and council members hear your opinion.

OmahaFan
Home Owners Association

Postby OmahaFan » Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:44 am

Yeah I would hope they are discussing this issue. Might not seem important but it would save the city money and that would help tax payers in the long run.

Uffda
Planning Board

Postby Uffda » Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:28 am

To pay for road repairs, Omaha City Council considers redirecting money from streetlight maintenance fund

http://www.omaha.com/news/metro/to-pay- ... 50b83.html

Now they’re eyeing the city’s $13.6 million contract with Omaha Public Power District for streetlight maintenance as one place to find money for those streets.

Councilman Pete Festersen brought up the issue at Tuesday’s council meeting, saying it’s a “pet peeve” that the city spends street funds — mostly from the gas tax — on streetlights.

He and Stubbe said the city is also exploring the possibility of moving to LED lights, which he said would save about 90 percent of energy costs. (Energy makes up nearly 20 percent of the overall streetlight contract with OPPD, or about $2.5 million annually).

OmahaFan
Home Owners Association

Postby OmahaFan » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:47 am

I just read the article and I'm concerned they are taking money away from the streelightt fund but I'm also excited that in the fall they will come out with a recommendation on replacing the streetlights with LED lights. I am happy though they will be adding to the street improvement fund. Hopefully they can start replacing and repairing these old streets and the cherry on top would be LED lights shining on those new beautiful smooth concrete streets of ours! Then again I wonder if Omaha would experiment with Solar roads?

Brad
City Council

Postby Brad » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:36 pm

Noticed a single LED streetlight on an exit ramp in Lincoln on Monday, out by the airport. I also notices some LED Streetlights in some of the small towns out in western Nebraska.
@bradwphoto on Twitter

HR Paperstacks
Parks & Recreation

Postby HR Paperstacks » Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:17 pm

Brad wrote:Noticed a single LED streetlight on an exit ramp in Lincoln on Monday, out by the airport. I also notices some LED Streetlights in some of the small towns out in western Nebraska.

That's funny. I think I saw that same one by the airport on Monday.

EricHaley
Home Owners Association

Postby EricHaley » Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:21 pm

Brad wrote:Noticed a single LED streetlight on an exit ramp in Lincoln on Monday, out by the airport. I also notices some LED Streetlights in some of the small towns out in western Nebraska.

Old Cheney Road in Lincoln between 70th & 84th (just south of where that house exploded) is fully LED lit. Color temperature looks to be around 5K. They’re currently working on replacing the lights with LEDs on 70th south of O. They’re considering going full LED in Lincoln at a cost of 11 mil, but with an annual savings of 1.1 mil.

nebugeater
County Board

Postby nebugeater » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:21 am

All new exterior lights on the UNL campuses are LED and have been for a while.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!

skinzfan23
County Board

Postby skinzfan23 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:15 am

While in CB the other night, I noticed that even quite a few lights in residential neighborhoods have been converted to LED. Not quite sure why Omaha is lacking in this so much.

EricHaley
Home Owners Association

Postby EricHaley » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:45 am

skinzfan23 wrote:While in CB the other night, I noticed that even quite a few lights in residential neighborhoods have been converted to LED. Not quite sure why Omaha is lacking in this so much.

Because OPPD currently owns the street lights in Omaha. There was an article in the Weird Herald about this not too long ago.

joleo
Home Owners Association

Postby joleo » Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:31 pm

EricHaley wrote:
skinzfan23 wrote:While in CB the other night, I noticed that even quite a few lights in residential neighborhoods have been converted to LED. Not quite sure why Omaha is lacking in this so much.

Because OPPD currently owns the street lights in Omaha. There was an article in the Weird Herald about this not too long ago.

Here in the Des Moines metro the Utility owns the street lights as well. They are switching them all to LED, one by one as they burn out. It is a spattering of LED and Sodium lights here in the DSM metro right now. I would say 25% converted to LED right now? Definitely more in some areas. I believe they originally said this would take 10 years to complete but that may have moved this up to only 7 years. It makes total sense, lots less maintenance and electricity consumption. Long term financial sense for MidAmerican is why they are doing it. I don't understand why OPPD doesn't see this same benefit. At the very least, install new subdivisions and streets with LED, it is crazy not to, I don't understand.

buildomaha
Home Owners Association

Postby buildomaha » Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:30 pm

joleo wrote:
EricHaley wrote:

Here in the Des Moines metro the Utility owns the street lights as well. They are switching them all to LED, one by one as they burn out. It is a spattering of LED and Sodium lights here in the DSM metro right now. I would say 25% converted to LED right now? Definitely more in some areas. I believe they originally said this would take 10 years to complete but that may have moved this up to only 7 years. It makes total sense, lots less maintenance and electricity consumption. Long term financial sense for MidAmerican is why they are doing it. I don't understand why OPPD doesn't see this same benefit. At the very least, install new subdivisions and streets with LED, it is crazy not to, I don't understand.

Unlike our neighbors across the river, Nebraskans aren’t ones to be very forward thinking. It’s getting better but a lot of people who don’t want change are the leaders in Omaha.

Coyote
City Council

Postby Coyote » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:47 am

EricHaley wrote:

To pay for road repairs, Omaha City Council considers redirecting money from streetlight maintenance fund

Roseann Moring - World-Herald staff writer wrote:OPPD owns the city’s streetlights, which it estimates are valued at about $45 million. The city leases them and contracts with OPPD for their maintenance and the energy to run them.

Brad
City Council

Postby Brad » Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:19 pm

Interesting in the article where it says they should be exploring LED streetlights. To me it seems like plenty of other cities have already done all the exploring. They should have picked on by now and even if they do ZERO replacement for the time being, all new lights should be LED. There are how many new SID's going online this year and not one of them has LED?
@bradwphoto on Twitter

jessep28
Planning Board

Postby jessep28 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:36 pm

It's too early to decide on a street lamp upgrade citywide. The minimum number of studies haven't been performed yet.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum

Brad
City Council

Postby Brad » Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:37 pm

In the past week and a half, I have been to Wyoming, Colorado, Nebraska, Iowa, and Missouri... You know which State had far and away the most LED lights?

Wyoming... They were everywhere! Even the high mast interchange lighting on the interstate was all LED! The most conservative and rural state of the bunch had the most LED lights...

So Wyoming had the most, Iowa and Colorado had about the same and tied for second, and Nebraska had the least.
@bradwphoto on Twitter

Coyote
City Council

Postby Coyote » Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:32 pm

Wow. How many miles did you put on Elmer?

Brad
City Council

Postby Brad » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:34 am

Coyote wrote:Wow. How many miles did you put on Elmer?

Looks Like 3119 for the Wyoming / Colorado portion of the trip. The Kansas City trip was in my wife's car. Averaged 26.9 MPG too.
IMG_6035.jpg
IMG_6035.jpg (128.03 KiB) Viewed 528 times
@bradwphoto on Twitter

GetUrban
Parks & Recreation

Postby GetUrban » Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:11 am

Brad wrote:Wyoming... They were everywhere! Even the high mast interchange lighting on the interstate was all LED! The most conservative and rural state of the bunch had the most LED lights..

Nice to see a "conservative" state decide to do something that actually conserves resources!

skinzfan23
County Board

Postby skinzfan23 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:54 am

I was over in my parent's neighborhood on the northwest side of Council Bluffs and notice that all the streetlights have been replaced with LEDs.

Brad
City Council

Postby Brad » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:48 pm

skinzfan23 wrote:I was over in my parent's neighborhood on the northwest side of Council Bluffs and notice that all the streetlights have been replaced with LEDs.

Wonder if there was some sort of state wide grant. When I went though Little Sioux last weekend, it looked like the whole town was switched over too.
@bradwphoto on Twitter

Brad
City Council

Postby Brad » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:45 am

There are a half dozen or so LED streetlights long the elevated portion west dodge expressway now.
@bradwphoto on Twitter

Return to “Transportation”