Metro area and region sports discussion

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Re: Nebraska Football 2017

Post by mrsticka »

MadMartin8 wrote:
mrsticka wrote:
twiztid1 wrote:A career day for a Badger running back against Nebraska; never would have seen that coming.
What about 2014 when Melvin Gordon set a single game record of 408 rushing yards?
I could be wrong, but I think you might have missed a bit of sarcasm, mrsticka :)
Oh, oops. On the internet, you can't tell whether someone's being sarcastic or not.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

MadMartin8 wrote:
mrsticka wrote:
twiztid1 wrote:A career day for a Badger running back against Nebraska; never would have seen that coming.
What about 2014 when Melvin Gordon set a single game record of 408 rushing yards?
I could be wrong, but I think you might have missed a bit of sarcasm, mrsticka :)
A long lineage of embarrassing run defense performances NU has had vs the Badgers.. Noiw we have the joy of Ohio St next..

My hope is they don’t hang half a hundred on NU and truly embarrass them at Memorial Stadium...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Opening line for the Ohio St game has the Huskers a 23 to 25 point dog at home depending on where you look. If that doesn't tell,you enough about where the program is you are a lost cause. :oops:
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

nebugeater wrote:Opening line for the Ohio St game has the Huskers a 23 to 25 point dog at home depending on where you look. If that doesn't tell,you enough about where the program is you are a lost cause. :oops:
Good. That helps set the stage for a major upset. That's all we've got left at this point. If it wasn't for all those pick-sixes... where would we be :-)
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

Post by GrandpaaSmucker »

Riley is now on the 6th most hottest seat in College Football according to Coaches Hot Seat. They are all but guaranteeing that Scott Frost will be our next head coach and we will be lucky to get him.

A quote from the site-

"As they say about today’s world “things change fast” and they even change fast in Nebraska because after the Nebraska loss at home to Wisconsin on Saturday we called a few of our Husker-alum friends on Sunday and to a person they all said very close to the following:

“Unless Mike Riley beats Ohio State at home next Saturday it’s over for Mike and Scott Frost will be the next head coach at Nebraska.”

link to site- http://coacheshotseat.com/
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

I have to think that Frost would rather stay in Oregon than take that job.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

GrandpaaSmucker wrote:Riley is now on the 6th most hottest seat in College Football according to Coaches Hot Seat. They are all but guaranteeing that Scott Frost will be our next head coach and we will be lucky to get him.

A quote from the site-

"As they say about today’s world “things change fast” and they even change fast in Nebraska because after the Nebraska loss at home to Wisconsin on Saturday we called a few of our Husker-alum friends on Sunday and to a person they all said very close to the following:

“Unless Mike Riley beats Ohio State at home next Saturday it’s over for Mike and Scott Frost will be the next head coach at Nebraska.”

link to site- http://coacheshotseat.com/
That is according to "A few Husker alumni friends" aka any talking head in Nebraska. Frost may be the man we are "all" pointing to, but that doesn't mean it will happen. Not that that would be a bad thing.

I don't want to come off as a bad fan, but the Huskers would be best to lose this game in convincing fashion. This would leave no doubt as to which direction to go, and the coaching search would be switched on to serious mode. All the pressure would be off Mike and that might even allow them to go out and have fun for the rest of the year.

For the sake of the future, I hope they lose this game. However, I want Mike Riley to stick around and have fun with the rest of the season. Beat Penn State, win the rest of the home games and wave a happy goodbye after beating Iowa on Black Friday.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

bigredmed1 wrote:I have to think that Frost would rather stay in Oregon than take that job.

????

Stay in Oregon, that ship has sailed. He is the Head Coach at the University of Central Florida.

He has the team 4-0 this season and ranked #22 currently. Had them at finish at 6-7 last season in his first year. The year before that with the former coach they were 0-12
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

Nebraska fans want instant results, not an up and coming project coach. Some big $$$ guy will get hired before Frost.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

jessep28 wrote:Nebraska fans want instant results, not an up and coming project coach. Some big $$$ guy will get hired before Frost.
Scott Frost is going to "Make Nebraska Great Again"...........You can't stop the train now its left the station and its headed here 200 miles an hour....
damonhynes
Parks & Recreation

Post by damonhynes »

Frost should stay in F-L-A. Ninety minutes by car gets him in range of 20 5* studs. Compare/contrast to Lincoln/Omaha and their lack of decent football players and all the dried-up pipelines to STL, CHI, Texas, etc.

It's not as much can anyone get us back to 1994-97, Husker fans should thank their stars that we were here to see Osborne keep a rust belt / small market school relevant for as long as he did. Minnesota was a nat'l champ in 1960 and a patsy by 1970. Missouri? Iowa? Same deal. It's not so much as the game has passed us by, but the demographics have.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

nebugeater wrote:Opening line for the Ohio St game has the Huskers a 23 to 25 point dog at home depending on where you look. If that doesn't tell,you enough about where the program is you are a lost cause. :oops:
I don’t think in my lifetime (I was born about the same time Bob Devaney took over as head coach at Nebraska), NU has been a 25 point underdog at home (or 25 point underdog overall for that matter).. I suspect this has not happened in 56 years..Which is exactly how old I am..

I’m almost scared to even attempt a prediction for this Saturday’s game.. But come tomorrow, I (sadly) will...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

damonhynes wrote:Frost should stay in F-L-A. Ninety minutes by car gets him in range of 20 5* studs. Compare/contrast to Lincoln/Omaha and their lack of decent football players and all the dried-up pipelines to STL, CHI, Texas, etc.

It's not as much can anyone get us back to 1994-97, Husker fans should thank their stars that we were here to see Osborne keep a rust belt / small market school relevant for as long as he did. Minnesota was a nat'l champ in 1960 and a patsy by 1970. Missouri? Iowa? Same deal. It's not so much as the game has passed us by, but the demographics have.
Probably correct. The walk on program and the number of hours the coaches spent at Rotary clubs and youth group meetings to keep the team supported was amazing. Not sure that they do anywhere near that much now. The walkon program was the secret weapon of Osborne's 4 yards per down approach. He just rolled over other teams. The weight room was important, but the piece always missing from this was the impact some walkon that was pretty good had on the game. When the star first stringer got a little winded, he could sit out and the guy who was a walk on that was "OK" went in for 3 downs. When the starter was needed on 4th down, he came back in fresh.

Now we don't have these players and the few we have are not good enough to carry this off.

Frankly, I am going to stop worrying about Husker football as I have to think that football is about 20 years from done as a serious competitive sport due to the head trauma data that the Huskers themselves are coming up with in their research lab.
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

bigredmed1 wrote: Frankly, I am going to stop worrying about Husker football as I have to think that football is about 20 years from done as a serious competitive sport due to the head trauma data that the Huskers themselves are coming up with in their research lab.
The game of football is salvageable. We can play much more safely then we do now. We are still being stupid about the way and style we play the game and it needs to be fixed and we will get there. Even in the pee wee level the culture and rule of the day needs to be that if you are attacking someone in the head in anyway you are promptly thrown out of the game. Attack someone in the head 2 games in a row and you are suspended for 3 games. Get flagged for attacking someone in the head a third time in a season and you are banned from the league for 2 years. We need to draw an invisible force field around the head where anyone that violates that force field is looking to get thrown out of the game.
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

Sadly, that's not enough, violent rotational injuries have been shown to cause concussions. So all wide receivers who catch passes and get tackled are at risk, every sack of a QB puts him at risk. This is what the Husker brain injury study showed.

You can change tackling, but the reality of the game is those rotational hits, especially in little boys and girls do some damage without direct hits to the heads.
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

This is not the first long title drought Nebraska has had. From 1940 to 1963, Nebraska didn't win a conference championship. Not a single one. I'm sure back then, many people thought Nebraska's glory days were long over and they lost all hope of ever again winning another conference title.
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

mrsticka wrote:This is not the first long title drought Nebraska has had. From 1940 to 1963, Nebraska didn't win a conference championship. Not a single one. I'm sure back then, many people thought Nebraska's glory days were long over and they lost all hope of ever again winning another conference title.
Mom and Dad told me about going to a game in that era. The stadium, much smaller then, was still half full. They talked about going with a group from.work to party and use the game as part of the entertainment. They talked about walking into the stadium and just wandering around till you found a seat you liked.

Bit different then (50s-early 60s) than now. Not sure NU could sustain itself with 10,000 fans.
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

There hasn't been a single Husker game on ABC/ESPN this year. That's too bad. Usually, ABC broadcasts Nebraska football games. Evidently, such is not the case this year.
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

mrsticka wrote:There hasn't been a single Husker game on ABC/ESPN this year. That's too bad. Usually, ABC broadcasts Nebraska football games. Evidently, such is not the case this year.
Not likely to happen when the Huskers are not doing well.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Someone can verify this, but I believe I heard on the radio, it’s been 67 years since NU has been a home underdog of 24 points or more..

Pretty crazy if you think about it. Now on to my game prediction-

No dellusions here. Never has been for any team I pull for. The simple truth is, Ohio St has better athletes and better coaching across the board; and this will lead to a convincing win over an NU team that has okay talent..but more importantly, a fragile mental toughness make up..

Ohio St- 45 NU- 21...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

Thanksgiving weekend coach Riley will be given a pirates chest full of loot and a 1 way ticket back to Oregon. Until then he has a beating to take........Ohio State 71 Nebraska 24
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

56-14
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

bigredmed1 wrote:Not likely to happen when the Huskers are not doing well.
I love how every time the Huskers are ranked going into a big game, ABC says "so you think you're good?" and schedules them so the nation can see their arses get whooped. It's comical.

Anybody know the last ESPN on ABC game they won?
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Busguy2010 wrote:
I love how every time the Huskers are ranked going into a big game, ABC says "so you think you're good?" and schedules them so the nation can see their arses get whooped. It's comical.

October 22 , 2016 Win vs Purdue. Split national telecast on ABC / ESPN depending on where you were in the country.
Prior to that Indiana Oct 15, 2016 Same arrangement
Also that season Oregon on ABC Sept 17
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

nebugeater wrote:
Busguy2010 wrote:

October 22 , 2016 Win vs Purdue. Split national telecast on ABC / ESPN depending on where you were in the country.
Yep.. Several last season and NU won all 3 of them.. I’d rather the Huskers not play on ABC/ESPN this season. Partially because they’re not worthy record wise and mainly, beacause they’ll get their a s s e s whupped...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:
nebugeater wrote:
Busguy2010 wrote:

Yep.. Several last season and NU won all 3 of them.. I’d rather the Huskers not play on ABC/ESPN this season. Partially because they’re not worthy record wise and mainly, beacause they’ll get their a s s e s whupped...

Ciao..LiO...Peace

Little different mix this year too with Fox in the mix. Not as many B1G games overall on ABC / ESPN
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

nebugeater wrote:
Busguy2010 wrote:

Sorry, I should have been more specific. I meant to ask when was the last ESPN on ABC night game they won? I took a little look back and I think it was at #24 Oklahoma in 2009 when they won that game 10-3.

Kinda still wondering when was the last REALLY important game they won in front of a national audience at night. Obviously before I really started watching football.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:I’d rather the Huskers not play on ABC/ESPN this season. Partially because they’re not worthy record wise and mainly, because they’ll get their a s s e s whupped...
I agree. I feel like it will be a long time before they really have earned it. Personally I don't want to see them in an ESPN/ABC night game again until they've really proven they can hang with the best and not embarrass themselves and the fans.

I'm kinda at the point this year that I'll just cool off on the Husker following. let the games go by and check in later to see how they went. Still hope they win and everything, just not gonna invest much time till they figure out what next year is gonna look like.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Busguy2010 wrote:
nebugeater wrote:
Busguy2010 wrote:

Sorry, I should have been more specific. I meant to ask when was the last ESPN on ABC night game they won? I took a little look back and I think it was at #24 Oklahoma in 2009 when they won that game 10-3.

Kinda still wondering when was the last REALLY important game they won in front of a national audience at night. Obviously before I really started watching football.
Nope.

Can't change the rules now! :D
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Busguy2010 wrote:
nebugeater wrote:
Busguy2010 wrote:

I think the 2015 win over UCLA in the bowl game that was on ESPN and kicked off at 8:15 Cent time on ESPN was kind of a big win.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

nebugeater wrote:I think the 2015 win over UCLA in the bowl game that was on ESPN and kicked off at 8:15 Cent time on ESPN was kind of a big win.
Yeah that one was kind of cool to us, but I'm talking BIG games like top rank vs top rank.

Here I'll just tell ya. Regardless of time of day.

#14 Nebraska 24, #11 Michigan State 3.
#19 Nebraska 17, #12 Penn State 14

#16 Nebraska 51, #14 Oklahoma State 41
#14 Nebraska 31, #6 Missouri 17

Whew, that was underwhelming.

Of course, I still remember the other big games we won... Those were great for Husker fans, they just didn't mean much for us in the big picture.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Anyone taken note of the secondary ticket market for this game. THere are tickets that are NOT SELLING that are priced at around $25 before fees on places like stub hub. Before the Wis game there were Oh St tickets selling for around 200 in the same general seating areas.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

The cheapest ticket is now under $20, with a pair of tickets in row 16 in the endzone going for only $25.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

The fall of Husker football is fascinating. Didn't ever think it would fall to this level.
No posts exist for this topic
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

MadMartin8 wrote:The fall of Husker football is fascinating. Didn't ever think it would fall to this level.
Very similar to the last year of Callahan.

Greg
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Greg S wrote:
MadMartin8 wrote:The fall of Husker football is fascinating. Didn't ever think it would fall to this level.

Greg

I think it is worse because at that time you could still see great success out the back window. Now you need a set of binoculars to see it and that is making it more urgent
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Greg S wrote:

Greg
But you're going on year, what, 10 of largely being irrelevant on the national stage? Callahan years weren't too far removed.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

MadMartin8 wrote:
Greg S wrote:

Greg
But you're going on year, what, 10 of largely being irrelevant on the national stage? Callahan years weren't too far removed.
I think the “largely Irrelevant” streak started at the end of the 2001 season with Miami thrashing NU in the Rose bowl..since then, 16 going on 17 years, Husker football has been completely irrelevant on a national level..and barely relevant on the conference level...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

My gut says 58-17, but my merciful heart says 48-24
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:
MadMartin8 wrote:
Greg S wrote:

Greg
I think the “largely Irrelevant” streak started at the end of the 2001 season with Miami thrashing NU in the Rose bowl..since then, 16 going on 17 years, Husker football has been completely irrelevant on a national level..and barely relevant on the conference level...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Which means no high school kid remembers a dominant Nebraska. Thy doom is nigh if they don't get this next coaching hire correct.