UNO UNL UNMC UNK Working together

General discussion on all things Omaha.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Coyote
City Council

Re: UNO Campus Update

Post by Coyote »

I was talking with a UNO Security Officer today who said merging of Security Departments has begun...
This should probably have its own thread but...:
UNMC-UNO merger under way? Partnership increasing
nebugeater
City Council

UNO UNL UNMC UNK Working together

Post by nebugeater »

With the budget reductions that the state and thus the University systems are seeing there are things going on to have the four University Systems campuses look for efficiency by working together. A good thing in many ways. There will be more to come in the future I am am sure.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Re: UNO UNL UNMC UNK Working together

Post by bigredmed1 »

nebugeater wrote:With the budget reductions that the state and thus the University systems are seeing there are things going on to have the four University Systems campuses look for efficiency by working together. A good thing in many ways. There will be more to come in the future I am am sure.
Nebraska could and should lead the nation in this action. Our Nursing school and PA program teach across the state. I give lectures to the PA program at UNMC and at Kearney simultaneously and this works OK. Our university needs to stop with this sort of low-level window dressing and start thinking hard about how many teachers colleges it really needs, how many graduate PhD tracks it really needs, and where to best deploy resources so we, a small state, can have our best chance to punch above our weight class. We seem to do just fine with one law school, med school, and nursing school. Our nursing school uses distributive education to teach across the state. Surely, our undergraduate programs could do the same. We could do a lot more with distributive education. One Teachers College with a graduate program taught across the state, One MBA program, One undergrad Arts and Sciences program in each major, a degree that simply says the University of Nebraska.
FirebirdEngineer
Home Owners Association

Post by FirebirdEngineer »

As long as each campus doesn't end up paying UNL tuition prices, I've no problems with it. I miss the days when I was taking more gen-ed credits at UNO prices, before I had to start paying for engineering classes at UNL prices.
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

FirebirdEngineer wrote:As long as each campus doesn't end up paying UNL tuition prices, I've no problems with it. I miss the days when I was taking more gen-ed credits at UNO prices, before I had to start paying for engineering classes at UNL prices.
They would have to harmonize that for sure. Maybe charge more for engineering like they do other professional schools?
bmt
Home Owners Association

Post by bmt »

bigredmed1 wrote: They would have to harmonize that for sure. Maybe charge more for engineering like they do other professional schools?
They do charge more for engineering tuition and it is the same rate for both Lincoln and Omaha because they are part of the same engineering college. From their website it shows that the 2016-17 tuition for engineering courses was $340.25 per credit hour for a Nebraska resident. UNO base tuition was $216.25 and UNL base was $237.50.