Not so Official: Giordano's coming to Omaha!

Proposed Development Projects that got Minarded.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

iamjacobm
City Council

Not so Official: Giordano's coming to Omaha!

Post by iamjacobm »

The famous Chicago based pizza chain is holding a contest to see where their next location should be on their facebook page and Omaha is leading the votes right now. Feels more like a publicity stunt than a real way to run a business, but who knows.

Anyways if they do pick Omaha this would be a good type of place to be an anchor for the Capitol District. A nationally known brand that would be attractive to out of towners during a conference.
skinzfan23
City Council

Re: Giordano's to Omaha?

Post by skinzfan23 »

I agree, the Capitol District would probably be the best place for them. I would love to see them open there.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

I am not sure what Omaha sitting with 5 X more votes than any other of the five options says?

Are we desperate for options?

Do we just play this game better?

Does it mean there are so many other options in the other locations that one more doesn't matter.

Who knows
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Padre
Human Relations

Post by Padre »

nebugeater wrote:I am not sure what Omaha sitting with 5 X more votes than any other of the five options says?

Does it mean there are so many other options in the other locations that one more doesn't matter.

Who knows
Articles about it are in the OWH and WOWT. Maybe Omaha just has more publicity about it.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Padre wrote:
nebugeater wrote:I am not sure what Omaha sitting with 5 X more votes than any other of the five options says?

Who knows
Articles about it are in the OWH and WOWT. Maybe Omaha just has more publicity about it.
When I first looked it was when I saw the first mention on facebook about noon today. That is a likely result but the gap was there already before there had been a lot of time for the local media impact to kick in. It does seem to be the local social medial story of the day.
brikay07
New to the Neighborhood

Post by brikay07 »

I haven't tried every pizza place here however I feel that our pizza options are lacking.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

iamjacobm wrote:The famous Chicago based pizza chain is holding a contest to see where their next location should be on their facebook page and Omaha is leading the votes right now. Feels more like a publicity stunt than a real way to run a business, but who knows.

Anyways if they do pick Omaha this would be a good type of place to be an anchor for the Capitol District. A nationally known brand that would be attractive to out of towners during a conference.
According to the twitter machine all 5 cities are getting a location and this was a publicity stunt.
nebraska
Library Board

Post by nebraska »

skinzfan23 wrote:I agree, the Capitol District would probably be the best place for them. I would love to see them open there.
Naaaaaaaaaaaah. Let's keep Omaha local. The more local the better. If we chain-ify and Disney-fy this place we lose what little character we have, and I think the character of Omaha is perhaps one of our best selling points (if not the best).
garyomaha
Home Owners Association

Post by garyomaha »

We have many good local pizza places in and around Omaha, but we seem to have trouble finding and keeping a good "Chicago style stuffed" pizza (in my opinion). I've visited Chicago many times and have gone out of my way to enjoy Giordano's, although some others are good, too. Some years ago, I enjoyed Lario's near 108th & Q. Finally! A true Chicago style pizza joint. Then they closed. For years I had enjoyed Chicago style pizza at (surprise) Old Chicago, then they took it off their menu!!! No doubt there was a good business reason for doing that, but that didn't do anything to satisfy a desire for a slice or more of that type of pizza here. A few years ago I tried Davlo's which friends said, and Davlo's claimed, to be using Giordano's recipe. NO!! my tastebuds cried. It looks like Giordano's and has the same ingredients as their pizza, but to me it (primarily the crust) did not taste like Giordano's. In this case, since nobody else has picked up the ball, I'm happy to see a franchise/out of town owner come in to offer the option. And I would still patronize many favorite local pizzarias.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

garyomaha wrote:For years I had enjoyed Chicago style pizza at (surprise) Old Chicago, then they took it off their menu!!
THEY DID WHAT?!??

Is anything about them Chicago related now because the beer certainly isn’t
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
omahahawk
Parks & Recreation

Post by omahahawk »

For more information, or to vote in the contest, visit http://bit.ly/2yMj6D4 or facebook.com/giordanospizza.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Omaha is winning this by a landslide.. Currently 26,631 votes vs Central Iowa’s 11,000.. Dallas is the next closest with barely over 1000 votes..

I’ve eaten at Giordano’s multiple times. I’d be ecstatic if they’d expand into the Big O.. The downside, would be my inevitable waist size expansion :banana: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

I'd be more excited if Lou Malnati's was going to expand into Omaha.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
swgiust
Library Board

Post by swgiust »

Unfortunately I cannot see them going anyplace other than a free standing building. Something like the Olive Garden on Dodge. That eliminates the downtown area right away. Need a big lot with parking. If they come I bet they end up way out west on Maple, Dodge, or Center.
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

swgiust wrote:Unfortunately I cannot see them going anyplace other than a free standing building. Something like the Olive Garden on Dodge. That eliminates the downtown area right away. Need a big lot with parking. If they come I bet they end up way out west on Maple, Dodge, or Center.
Basically all of their locations in Chicago are incorporated into larger developments. In Omaha, they'd be a destination restaurant, especially with the hype they are clearly receiving. I think the bet of Capitol district is a good one, perhaps even MTC, to catch all of the tourists. The furthest west I could see them going would be Westroads to be central in the city.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

Post by GrandpaaSmucker »

Garrett wrote:
swgiust wrote:Unfortunately I cannot see them going anyplace other than a free standing building. Something like the Olive Garden on Dodge. That eliminates the downtown area right away. Need a big lot with parking. If they come I bet they end up way out west on Maple, Dodge, or Center.
Basically all of their locations in Chicago are incorporated into larger developments. In Omaha, they'd be a destination restaurant, especially with the hype they are clearly receiving. I think the bet of Capitol district is a good one, perhaps even MTC, to catch all of the tourists. The furthest west I could see them going would be Westroads to be central in the city.

Nah..... he was right and you are hoping. If they come it will be out on West Dodge or West Center. Way way way to risky to break into the market going downtown!
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

I’m going to guess that if they decide to put a location in Omaha, it'll be in suburbia. Around half of their Chicago area locations are in the suburbs. So are their Orlando locations which I think is the only other city they are in.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

TitosBuritoBarn wrote:I’m going to guess that if they decide to put a location in Omaha, it'll be in suburbia. Around half of their Chicago area locations are in the suburbs. So are their Orlando locations which I think is the only other city they are in.
They are in Minneapolis, Indianapolis, Columbus OH, Las Vegas, Detroit and a location in Arrowhead, AZ.. Along with Orlando and Kissimmee FL..

Let’s hope they expand their footprint into the Omaha area. They make a seriously excellent Chicago style pizza pie...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

Well don't tell the Detroit location that it's in the suburbs. It thinks it's downtown, like RIGHT downtown.

https://giordanos.com/locations/all-locations/
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

NovakOmaha wrote:Well don't tell the Detroit location that it's in the suburbs. It thinks it's downtown, like RIGHT downtown.

https://giordanos.com/locations/all-locations/
Downtown New Detroit?

Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

nebraska wrote:
skinzfan23 wrote:I agree, the Capitol District would probably be the best place for them. I would love to see them open there.
Naaaaaaaaaaaah. Let's keep Omaha local. The more local the better. If we chain-ify and Disney-fy this place we lose what little character we have, and I think the character of Omaha is perhaps one of our best selling points (if not the best).
Omaha has lots of excellent pizza options. Each of us has our own favorites. But I don't know of any even semi authentic Chicago style pizza served here.
That said, let's keep the Capitol District focused on locally owned restaurants. people with any sense don't want to come all the way to Omaha to eat at a Chicago pizza place. Or, for that matter, at the Olive Garden or Red Lobster, or even at Morton's. Let's keep the options locally owned.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

nativeomahan wrote:
nebraska wrote:
Omaha has lots of excellent pizza options. Each of us has our own favorites. But I don't know of any even semi authentic Chicago style pizza served here.
That said, let's keep the Capitol District focused on locally owned restaurants. people with any sense don't want to come all the way to Omaha to eat at a Chicago pizza place. Or, for that matter, at the Olive Garden or Red Lobster, or even at Morton's. Let's keep the options locally owned.
Totally agree. Why import an option when you want to boast We Don't Coast. Since this has become a pizza thread, I shout out La Casa at Capitol Distict.
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

I know it's hard to compare places, but how does Giordano's rank to Lou Malnati's?
garyomaha
Home Owners Association

Post by garyomaha »

bbinks wrote:I know it's hard to compare places, but how does Giordano's rank to Lou Malnati's?
Stand by for a possible firestorm! Those are the two Chicago pizza places I most often hear people passionately arguing about.

I've been to both and both are very good. I held a preference for Giordano's because I'd been there a number of times, in Chicago, Rockport, Minneapolis, Columbus, and Orlando (yes, I get around and I like pizza!) For me, pizza is largely about the crust, and I enjoy the crispy-chewy sort of nutty flavor of Giordano's crust. Then a friend recommended I try Lou Malnati's and I did, and I was okay with it. The style is the same as Giordano's but the flavor is not (to me). Your mileage may vary.

And as someone said earlier, pizza is personal and there are many choices already here. (I agree that La Casa is terrific but I don't think a pizza could be farther from Giordano's!)
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

There are a number of pizza places in Chicago that are really good. I'm not going to list them all but there are lots of them. I do like Girodanos & Lou Malnatis. Both are good.

That's one thing about Detroit that I guess I'll never get used to. Here they are all about square pizza with burnt cheese on the sides. It's ok but to me nothing to write home about. There is one place that is very good here, TO ME, and that's Pizzapapalis.

Having been raised on La Casa, Sortinos, Caniglias, etc. I do have a preference for thin crust, Omaha style pizza.

I guess for Giordanos to open in Omaha would be ok but not necessarily earth shaking. It's pizza. Dough, sauce, toppings. We make our own at home & it's also good pizza.

I had one knee jerk reaction when I read about this "contest"...gee, bring Giordano's to our city (Omaha, Des Moines, etc.), because we don't have that here and we want to be cool like Chicago.

Big deal. As others have said, there are plenty of local places. I have yet to find a pizza like La Casa anywhere in my travels and hope I never do. I love their fried raviolis & pretty much the rest of their menu. I don't want to be able to eat it in St. Louis or Louisville or Main Street at Disney World. I want to eat it at their Omaha location. That's all
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

Giordano's is one of my faves in Chicago.

However, I have mixed feelings about it coming to Omaha, mainly cuz I think we need more things OMAHA and don't need yet another chain, even though I don't think of Giordano's as I do the Usual Suspect chains.

My big question is, will that style of pizza go over here in Omaha?

It also amazes me why people go so ga-ga over yet another chain invading! When local culinary talent takes the plunge to open a new place, it seldom generates the buzz of a chain, any chain!
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Don't forget about Gino's East when talking about Chicago pizza, it is also considered one of the best.
Padre
Human Relations

Post by Padre »

Omababe wrote:Giordano's is one of my faves in Chicago.

However, I have mixed feelings about it coming to Omaha, mainly cuz I think we need more things OMAHA and don't need yet another chain, even though I don't think of Giordano's as I do the Usual Suspect chains.

It also amazes me why people go so ga-ga over yet another chain invading! When local culinary talent takes the plunge to open a new place, it seldom generates the buzz of a chain, any chain!
With a chain, at least in theory you know what you're getting. You may have tried it somewhere else or you can talk to people who have. With a local, the buzz has to start from scratch.
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

Padre wrote:

With a chain, at least in theory you know what you're getting. You may have tried it somewhere else or you can talk to people who have. With a local, the buzz has to start from scratch.
Here's my problem with chains, and pizza chains in particular. Once they reach a certain point they seldom if ever have the consistency of the original product. Take Valentino's for instance. I've been eating Val's since there was only one location, at 33rd & Holdrege in Lincoln. The quality was pretty good even when they opened at 70th and A in Lincoln. By the time they opened in Omaha it wasn't as good but still not bad. These days Val's is nothing like it was. Now it's greasy, it doesn't taste as good, in general the quality and consistency just aren't there. (The prior statements are my own opinion and not meant to convey anything more than my own opinion. Your results may vary) National chains? Not even close. Does it happen with every chain that was once a single location? Of course not. On the other hand, is every local restaurant as good as it was when it started? No, but the odds are better.

As for Giordano's, my experience is that their pizzas are so enormous that one slice is more than enough for me. It's overkill. It would take an entire La Casa hamburger and black olive pizza to weigh the same as one slice of Giordano's, or any chicago stuffed pizza. I'm just not their biggest fan.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

NovakOmaha wrote:
Padre wrote:

Here's my problem with chains, and pizza chains in particular. Once they reach a certain point they seldom if ever have the consistency of the original product. Take Valentino's for instance. I've been eating Val's since there was only one location, at 33rd & Holdrege in Lincoln. The quality was pretty good even when they opened at 70th and A in Lincoln. By the time they opened in Omaha it wasn't as good but still not bad. These days Val's is nothing like it was. Now it's greasy, it doesn't taste as good, in general the quality and consistency just aren't there. (The prior statements are my own opinion and not meant to convey anything more than my own opinion. Your results may vary) National chains? Not even close. Does it happen with every chain that was once a single location? Of course not. On the other hand, is every local restaurant as good as it was when it started? No, but the odds are better.

As for Giordano's, my experience is that their pizzas are so enormous that one slice is more than enough for me. It's overkill. It would take an entire La Casa hamburger and black olive pizza to weigh the same as one slice of Giordano's, or any chicago stuffed pizza. I'm just not their biggest fan.
It’s funny you mentioned Val’s. We had a Val’s pie last night. It was pretty good. Not spectacular. But not greasy. Pretty much what I’ve had from Val’s the past 20 or so years. I grew up eating La Casa’s pizza. It’s my favorite of all time. A Giordano’s pie I’d consider the opposite of a La Casa’s pie. I like both styles.. Only 1, maybe 2 slices of a real Chicago style pie I can eat. The rest goes in the Fridge..

Speaking of cold pizza (and I’ve said it here before I believe), La Casa’s is the BEST cold pizza I’ve ever had. I ALWAYS try and leave a few slices and put ‘em in the fridge for the next day.. OUTSTANDING :thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

I'm not saying Vals is terrible...just not as good as I remember from the 60s to the late 70s.

As for La Casa for breakfast. You got that right. The hard part was remembering to save some for morning....
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

To weigh in on Val's. IMO they dropped off a fair amount at one point but over the last 4 -5 years I think they have upped their game again. Not exactly what it was ( from memory) but very close again.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

skinzfan23 wrote:Don't forget about Gino's East when talking about Chicago pizza, it is also considered one of the best.
Yes, that's another good one. I believe the one in River North has closed, but the one near the Water Tower is still going.
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

The trainer I have for my class in South Carolina lives in Chicago. He says he can make better pizza at home than what Giordano's can offer.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Omababe wrote:
skinzfan23 wrote:Don't forget about Gino's East when talking about Chicago pizza, it is also considered one of the best.
Yes, that's another good one. I believe the one in River North has closed, but the one near the Water Tower is still going.
There’s a Gino’s East still in River North. I think they moved somewhat recently. If I remember correctly they used to be by the Hard Rock Cafe and now they’re a little south. They brew their own beer now there.

There’s apparently 10 Gino’s locations in the Chicago area and one each in Wisconsin, Dallas, and Phoenix.
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

TitosBuritoBarn wrote:
Omababe wrote:
There’s a Gino’s East still in River North. I think they moved somewhat recently. If I remember correctly they used to be by the Hard Rock Cafe and now they’re a little south. They brew their own beer now there.

There’s apparently 10 Gino’s locations in the Chicago area and one each in Wisconsin, Dallas, and Phoenix.
I think generally these days, the best Chicago pizza is considered to be Pequods in Lincoln Park.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

For what it’s worth I think that I, like most Chicago transplants (and probably natives), started off eating pizza at the well known deep dish places and then gravitated away towards the neighborhood joints that dont necessarily sell deep dish. Trips to get deep dish then usually only occur when friends or family come visit.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Garrett wrote:
TitosBuritoBarn wrote:
Omababe wrote:

I think generally these days, the best Chicago pizza is considered to be Pequods in Lincoln Park.
That’s the one pizza place I never got to before moving away
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Once you have cold pizza from La Casa’s, it will forever change you opinion of what good pizza is all about. That said, bring on Giordano’s to Omaha.. I think if they do enter the market, a surburban, Village Pointe type location is where they’d end up..

In the end, I won’t shed a tear if they don’t come. Omaha is home to so many good local pizza options, I’m satisfied with what we have. You’ve got to be good, real good..to crack into Omaha’s pizza scene. If you’re product is weak (think Uncle Maddio’s) your shelf life in Omaha is less than 18 months...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Sarah Baker Hansen talked to Giordano's and all they said was that Omaha is 'on their radar'.