Gene Leahy Mall Remodel

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

MTO
City Council

Re: Official: Gene Leahy Mall

Post by MTO »

I thought they were trying to do something a little different.
15-17, 26, 32
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

MTO wrote:I thought they were trying to do something a little different.
Maybe they are, but it doesn't look very good. Almost like they half-assed it.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

They city changed the layout this year because of certain complaints that the lights were taking too much focus off the Holland.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

Coyote wrote:
They city changed the layout this year because of certain complaints that the lights were taking too much focus off the Holland.
You've got to be kidding...
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Just to be clear, I thought the rest of the lights were ok but thee First National lights look ridiculous. I don't remember having the Holland Center in past years having the lights they have this year. I think they look alright, but if that is true about changing other lights for the Holland Center, that is horrible. The city just bows down to them.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

The Holland is becoming an agent of evil.

But I thought they complimented each other very well.
15-17, 26, 32
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I posted that in jest...
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

Coyote wrote:I posted that in jest...
Look what you did.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

RNcyanide wrote:
Look what you did.
Too soon?
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

Coyote wrote:
RNcyanide wrote:
Look what you did.
Too soon?
Well after getting the city to buy the buildings next to them, it's not too much of a stretch I guess.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

And I thought I was the only troll.
15-17, 26, 32
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

MTO wrote:And I thought I was the only troll.
Coyotes don't troll, they only jest.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Coyote wrote:
MTO wrote:And I thought I was the only troll.
Coyotes don't troll, they only jest.

Don't they also |expletive| in the woods?

Oh wait, no...no..that's bears.
No posts exist for this topic
PotatoeEatsFish
Human Relations

Post by PotatoeEatsFish »

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I saw that in the Sunday comics too.
#SaveTheUglyGrainSilos2024
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

In the article about the HDR TIF plan it sounds like a new pedestrian bridge to connect 11th is in the works.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

iamjacobm wrote:In the article about the HDR TIF plan it sounds like a new pedestrian bridge to connect 11th is in the works.
I will have to look at that...! Since this proposal has been in the air I have thought that this would make complete sense!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

iamjacobm wrote:In the article about the HDR TIF plan it sounds like a new pedestrian bridge to connect 11th is in the works.
About Time! The1wags started that conversation one here a decade ago!
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

Brad wrote:
The City of Omaha should really open up the bridge design to an international design competition....not just to HDR. But I guess if TIF money from the HDR project will be used, (is that even allowed?) it's easy to guess who will have their hands all over it, along with more pats on the back.

Brad, you'll have to re-take your signature GLM photos, with any luck.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

TIF can be used for public infrastructure improvements. Usually that means the immediate sidewalks/landscaping, but HDR said they see a value in connecting their HQ to the Old Market. I think the article said a little under 700K out of the TIF for the bridge, I am thinking it will be a pretty simple one.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

Hopefully, the new bridge will have a more interesting design than the existing utilitarian bridge through the GLM island. The 11th street location will be much more prominent, since both ends will need to start up higher close to street level. Maybe matching funds can be raised to do something really worthwhile. HDR would gain more support if they emphasized it could be more than a handy shortcut for their employees to walk to the Old Market.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

GetUrban wrote:Brad, you'll have to re-take your signature GLM photos, with any luck.
I have really struggled to get a GLM photo I have really liked since the renovations. Its just not the same. May be a new bridge will open up some other possibilities. However, I have been thinking about skyline photos lately, once the Capitol District and HDR are finished, you won't see them from the regular GLM photos anyways so it might be time to completely re-think the shot as a whole.
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

Brad wrote:
GetUrban wrote:Brad, you'll have to re-take your signature GLM photos, with any luck.
I have really struggled to get a GLM photo I have really liked since the renovations. Its just not the same. May be a new bridge will open up some other possibilities. However, I have been thinking about skyline photos lately, once the Capitol District and HDR are finished, you won't see them from the regular GLM photos anyways so it might be time to completely re-think the shot as a whole.
The best skyline views will be from the north I would assume, especially after Tetrad. North dt is ripe for some killer south facing balconies.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Louie wrote:The best skyline views will be from the north I would assume, especially after Tetrad. North dt is ripe for some killer south facing balconies.
I was talking more about the Gene Leahy Mall Skyline photos. Yes, the photo from Abbot Drive will still be nice and and I think the photos from the Bluffs will still be nice. I do think photos from the roof of the Old Market Lofts and Heartland of America Park will benefit the most from the new buildings. However looking at my signature photo, you will loose TD Ameritade Park Omaha from the Old Market Lofts photo.
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

GetUrban wrote:
Brad wrote:
The City of Omaha should really open up the bridge design to an international design competition....not just to HDR. But I guess if TIF money from the HDR project will be used, (is that even allowed?) it's easy to guess who will have their hands all over it, along with more pats on the back.

Brad, you'll have to re-take your signature GLM photos, with any luck.
Great idea!
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

Brad wrote:
How have the renovations changed the view?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

daveoma wrote:How have the renovations changed the view?
The Biggest problem is the bubblers that they put in the water. Back in the day the lake would get supper mirror image reflection on a calm night. Now you get ripples from the bubbles rising to the surface all night long. The new retaining wall is not terrible, but its way larger than it use to be. Below is a photo I took before the renovations. I want to re-Create this photo with the CenturyLink sign replacing the Quest sign. I keep hoping the bubble breaks down some day, or at least trips the breaker for a night...

daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

I see it now, huge difference! Thanks for sharing. :-)
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

Magnificent picture. Anyone know what happened to the FirstComp letters on the Central Park Plaza building?
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

choke wrote:Magnificent picture. Anyone know what happened to the FirstComp letters on the Central Park Plaza building?
They were supposed to be vacating along with REX to yet to be announced place out west. Their website still lists CPP as their address.

The Bride
PotatoeEatsFish
Human Relations

Post by PotatoeEatsFish »

Brad wrote:
The Biggest problem is the bubblers that they put in the water. Back in the day the lake would get supper mirror image reflection on a calm night. Now you get ripples from the bubbles rising to the surface all night long. The new retaining wall is not terrible, but its way larger than it use to be. Below is a photo I took before the renovations. I want to re-Create this photo with the CenturyLink sign replacing the Quest sign. I keep hoping the bubble breaks down some day, or at least trips the breaker for a night...

Sounds like you have something planned :;):
#SaveTheUglyGrainSilos2024
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

choke wrote:Magnificent picture.
Thanks!

PotatoeEatsFish wrote:Sounds like you have something planned :;):
Nothing planned, but everything in the GLM/HofA/Ped Bridge seems to break often, I am just patiently waiting for that to happen...
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Brad wrote:

Ahh the good old "cliche" shot, it's about to get a bit bigger thanks to HDR.
15-17, 26, 32
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

MTO wrote:Ahh the good old "cliche" shot, it's about to get a bit bigger thanks to HDR.
That's what we were talking about, it won' even be in the "Omaha Cliche Shot". Lanoaha might depending on how its designed.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Oh my bad, you guys cackle back-and-forth so much it's like keeping up with the Kardashians around here.
15-17, 26, 32
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

That is an awesome photo, Brad!
Coyote
City Council

Re: Missouri River Commons (Riverfront Development)

Post by Coyote »

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (83.81 KiB) Viewed 1831 times
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Why did the Omaha Riverfront Revitalization committee have to bring the Gene Leahy Mall in to this? The City just dumped a bunch of money in to improving the park, and now they want to fill it in again. The GLM is great as it is. It could use a couple minor improvements, but not this.

There are so many other parks in town that need improvements before this needs to happen.

And more events lawns performance pavilions? Because all the other public events areas are full and successful.... hardly.

How many times in the past 20 years has that Event Lawn and "stage area" in the Heartland of America Park been used?
EastCB
Library Board

Post by EastCB »

Brad wrote:Why did the Omaha Riverfront Revitalization committee have to bring the Gene Leahy Mall in to this? The City just dumped a bunch of money in to improving the park, and now they want to fill it in again. The GLM is great as it is. It could use a couple minor improvements, but not this.

There are so many other parks in town that need improvements before this needs to happen.

And more events lawns performance pavilions? Because all the other public events areas are full and successful.... hardly.

How many times in the past 20 years has that Event Lawn and "stage area" in the Heartland of America Park been used?
Totally agree!!!!!
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

EastCB wrote:
Brad wrote:Why did the Omaha Riverfront Revitalization committee have to bring the Gene Leahy Mall in to this? The City just dumped a bunch of money in to improving the park, and now they want to fill it in again. The GLM is great as it is. It could use a couple minor improvements, but not this.

Totally agree!!!!!
I disagree. I think it's a brilliant renovation to bring more use to a drastically underused park. Adding cafes and restaurants is smart. And how often are the event lawns at Aksarben and MTC used? Quite often. In its current form, you can basically walk around, take some pictures, and that's about it. From a design perspective, it may be nice to look at, but it's not super functional as a public space. The most successful parks in the country, from Grant Park/Millennium Park here in Chicago to Central Park, Washington Square Park, and Bryant Park in NYC are all relatively simple and flat.

This redesign could even fit events like a multi-stage music festival, so you don't end up having stages set up in parking lots like a certain festival of the past.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

http://riverfrontrevitalization.com/|expletive| ... _11X17.pdf

http://riverfrontrevitalization.com/|expletive| ... Slides.pdf

Posting these here as well. They are all under the same study, but the riverfront and GLM obviously have different discussions and goals.