Omaha Local News Channels

Discussion of current events, news, the latest happenings in Omaha

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Which evening news do you watch the most (5p 6p 10p)

KMTV Channel 3 (No Cable/Dish)
2%
KMTV Channel 3 (With Cable/Dish)
4%
WOWT Channel 6 (No Cable/Dish)
4%
WOWT Channel 6 (With Cable/Dish)
21%
KETV Channel 7 (No Cable/Dish)
13%
KETV Channel 7 (With Cable/Dish)
31%
KPTM Channel 42 (No Cable/Dish)
1%
KPTM Channel 42 (With Cable/Dish)
2%
I don't watch Local News
13%
I don't have a TV
5%
I watch whatever channel it happens to be on
1%
I watch whatever the TV in the Bar is showing
5%

Total votes: 127

damonhynes
Parks & Recreation

Re: Omaha Local News Channels

Post by damonhynes »

Silverspoon wrote:I record every 6am and 10pm newscast of 3NewsNow because I find their goof ups hilarious. Local news is always so low quality compared to watching Sportscenter, or something on CNN. I also record "Omaha Sunday Morning" on CBS which is Jennifer Griswold being corny as heck, talking about the weakest local stories imaginable, but I find that one hard to hang with because it is so bad. I think that experiment will come to an end soon.

My question is, is anybody else pathetic enough to record the news twice a day, every day? I do it for the laughs mainly.
I used to tape The Weather Channel when Marny Stanier was on. Later, WeatherNation.

Not so much anymore, since even Channel Third has wardrobe consultants and there aren't any 'accidents' like before. I just admire them, infowomen make me smile.
damonhynes
Parks & Recreation

Post by damonhynes »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:
damonhynes wrote:I had the biggest crush on Trina Creighton back in the day. Ran onto her once at the QuikTrip--she about came up to my belt buckle!
Trina Creighton.. Now that’s a name from Omaha TV media past I haven’t heard in awhile..

I wonder what she’s up to these days :?: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Professor of Broadcast Journalism at UNL. Just became a grandmother!
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

I remember for a few years back in the 80's and 90's, KMTV had 2 voiceovers. There was one older sounding guy who said "This is Channel 3 KMTV" or something like that, then the intro started with a younger man introducing the talent.

But I don't expect anybody to know or remember what I'm talking about.
Silverspoon
Home Owners Association

Post by Silverspoon »

Coyote wrote:
EastCB wrote:
Silverspoon wrote:I record every 6am and 10pm newscast of 3NewsNow because I find their goof ups hilarious.
You need a life. lol!!!
I used to watch the weather by what was her name to see all her screw ups.. Former Ms. Nebraska back in the days.
I dont think youre talking about Deanne Brink as she was a morning anchor and not a meteorologist, but she did some beauty contest stuff.
Jim Flowers rules!
Silverspoon
Home Owners Association

Post by Silverspoon »

EastCB wrote:
Silverspoon wrote:I record every 6am and 10pm newscast of 3NewsNow because I find their goof ups hilarious. Local news is always so low quality compared to watching Sportscenter, or something on CNN. I also record "Omaha Sunday Morning" on CBS which is Jennifer Griswold being corny as heck, talking about the weakest local stories imaginable, but I find that one hard to hang with because it is so bad. I think that experiment will come to an end soon.

My question is, is anybody else pathetic enough to record the news twice a day, every day? I do it for the laughs mainly.
You need a life. lol!!!
I wont lie, it takes some dedication to never miss those two newscasts every day, but luckily with DVR, I watch the first segment, then the second, then skip the weather cuz thats a joke, then watch sports and delete.

Now that Im thinking about it, the morning is much different. I watch the first segment then shut it off cuz the morning sports minute is just stuff from the night before, and the weather is irrelevant coming from the local talent, and the traffic report makes me want to eat a bullet.
Jim Flowers rules!
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

damonhynes wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:
damonhynes wrote:I had the biggest crush on Trina Creighton back in the day. Ran onto her once at the QuikTrip--she about came up to my belt buckle!
Trina Creighton.. Now that’s a name from Omaha TV media past I haven’t heard in awhile..

Ciao..LiO...Peace
I remember Tom Bevacqua. That's a name I haven't heard in a long time. I used to watch him do the weather at Midday, 5:00, 6:00 and 10:00. He used to do a cooking segment on the midday newscast.

Looking back now, it seems kind of strange that he did the midday newscast along with 5:00, 6:00 and 10:00 because he was chief meteorologist then. Usually, the chief doesn't do the weather at midday. Maybe they should've had another meteorologist for the morning and midday newscasts and have Tom just do the weather at 5:00, 6:00 and 10:00?

I sometimes wish Tom had never left. He was very popular in Omaha. If he were still at KMTV today, I have no doubt he'd still be well received.
damonhynes
Parks & Recreation

Post by damonhynes »

Mr.Nuke wrote:Random Tyson Pearsall sighting on KETV this morning. We'll see if he is coming back or just filling in with Alex Alecci's departure. The Laurann Robinson experiment on weekends was less than stellar.
Alecci's gone, Laurann and Matt are on vacay. I think she's doing fine, although let's see what happens during a blizzard or severe WX.

Can't do any worse than Sheerwood on Channel Sicks.
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

Post by GrandpaaSmucker »

Silverspoon wrote:My question is, is anybody else pathetic enough to record the news twice a day, every day? I do it for the laughs mainly.
:what: That is unacceptable behavior indeed. I think you are treading on ground there that is best left untread. You get too far into that forbidden zone and you might never find your way back to the real world. :lol:
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

damonhynes wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Interesting. Good for her and thanks for the update :thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

mrsticka wrote:
damonhynes wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:

Ciao..LiO...Peace
I remember Tom Bevacqua. That's a name I haven't heard in a long time. I used to watch him do the weather at Midday, 5:00, 6:00 and 10:00. He used to do a cooking segment on the midday newscast.

Looking back now, it seems kind of strange that he did the midday newscast along with 5:00, 6:00 and 10:00 because he was chief meteorologist then. Usually, the chief doesn't do the weather at midday. Maybe they should've had another meteorologist for the morning and midday newscasts and have Tom just do the weather at 5:00, 6:00 and 10:00?

I sometimes wish Tom had never left. He was very popular in Omaha. If he were still at KMTV today, I have no doubt he'd still be well received.
Yeah. It’s hard not to forget about Tom Bevacqua.. He did Omaha weather and the midday KMTV 3 show for many years in the 80’s and 90’s..

Now here’s a weather guy name some may have forgotten from KMTV 3 past- back in the early 80’s, before Bevacqua, they had a guy named Dr. Dave Eisner.. I think he was the chief weather personally for channel 3 from about 1980 till about 1984-85. I’m going completely off memory here.. and I also believe he used to call Thunderstorms, “Thunderboomers” all the time.. That could have been a Bevacqua term too.. Someone chime in and correct me if I’m wrong about that Dr. Dave guy...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Silverspoon
Home Owners Association

Post by Silverspoon »

I remember back in the day Rockett in the Morning on Sweet 98 was trying to get Pat Persaud to fill in for him when he was going to take a vacation sometime in 1994ish.

Somehow my grandma knew where Carol Schroeder lived near Forrest Lawn Cemetary.

Im a huge Jim Flowers fan! I have met him a few times and he was always a super nice guy.

Dave Webber is a prick! He used to call the cops on me n my friends for running thru his front yard cuz he has a corner house and it was quicker than taking the sidewalk the whole way around.

Thats who I remember from those vids. As an avid news watcher, Im glad they were posted so I could enjoy them.
Jim Flowers rules!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Ok. Time to post this again:

[youtube][/youtube]
damonhynes
Parks & Recreation

Post by damonhynes »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:
Now here’s a weather guy name some may have forgotten from KMTV 3 past- back in the early 80’s, before Bevacqua, they had a guy named Dr. Dave Eisner.. I think he was the chief weather personally for channel 3 from about 1980 till about 1984-85. I’m going completely off memory here.. and I also believe he used to call Thunderstorms, “Thunderboomers” all the time.. That could have been a Bevacqua term too.. Someone chime in and correct me if I’m wrong about that Dr. Dave guy...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
I worked graveyards at the Vickers gas station at the corner of 108 & Q during 1979-80. Apparently, after the 10 PM news, the staff of 'KM3" would go across the street to the Mai Tai Lounge. Anywhere between 11 pm and 130 am, they'd make their way home. I saw Chuck Roberts once--nice guy, soft-spoken and a gentleman. Doctor (of podiatry) Dave Eisner was at my station every Friday night. He had a new Volvo station wagon, Texas plates. Three sheets without fail. Every weekend, the Volvo had another dent or another piece of trim missing.
jag42
Library Board

Post by jag42 »

Tom Bevaqua...I remember hearing him on the radio for a syndicated weather service on some station out of Columbus, Nebraska. Early 2000's.

Speaking of old names from KMTV-3...how about Ann Schatz...
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

Early 2000's? By then, Tom was at WGGB in Springfield, MA. He was the chief meteorologist there until 2006. At the time of his departure, there was an article speculating he might return to Omaha, which he clearly did not.
jag42
Library Board

Post by jag42 »

He could have been doing Nebraska weather from Massachusetts, just like how Fox 42 newscast originates from Fresno, CA.
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

jag42 wrote:Tom Bevaqua...I remember hearing him on the radio for a syndicated weather service on some station out of Columbus, Nebraska. Early 2000's.

Speaking of old names from KMTV-3...how about Ann Schatz...
In Portland. Doing play by play for CST.
Silverspoon
Home Owners Association

Post by Silverspoon »

jag42 wrote:He could have been doing Nebraska weather from Massachusetts, just like how Fox 42 newscast originates from Fresno, CA.
Wow, are you serious?
Jim Flowers rules!
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Silverspoon wrote:
jag42 wrote:He could have been doing Nebraska weather from Massachusetts, just like how Fox 42 newscast originates from Fresno, CA.
Wow, are you serious?

They did for a number of years but I believe they are back to doing it locally again.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Padre
Human Relations

Post by Padre »

Silverspoon wrote:
Wow, are you serious?
Reporters are local, anchors are in Fresno.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

damonhynes wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:

Ciao..LiO...Peace
I worked graveyards at the Vickers gas station at the corner of 108 & Q during 1979-80. Apparently, after the 10 PM news, the staff of 'KM3" would go across the street to the Mai Tai Lounge. Anywhere between 11 pm and 130 am, they'd make their way home. I saw Chuck Roberts once--nice guy, soft-spoken and a gentleman. Doctor (of podiatry) Dave Eisner was at my station every Friday night. He had a new Volvo station wagon, Texas plates. Three sheets without fail. Every weekend, the Volvo had another dent or another piece of trim missing.
That’s a great story and thanks for sharing it. I remember ’ol “Dr Dave” not so much for how well he did his job as a weather guesser.. But the guy always seemed amusing to me.. My impressions of him were he was pompous, arrogant (calling thunderstorms “thunderboomers”)..that he thought a lot of himself.. Hearing he was sort of a lush, while not able to maintain a brand new vehicle, goes along perfectly with the narrative and adds to my amusement :thumb: ..

I heard he left Omaha (I think around 1984 or 85) and landed in Chicago.. Where his shtick was also not very well received, lol...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

I wouldn't mind seeing more clips of KMTV, WOWT and KETV newscasts from the late 80's/early 90's on YouTube someday.
Mr.Nuke
Human Relations

Post by Mr.Nuke »

Pro tip for KETV: if you are going to tape a stand-up "live" from your newsroom either A) don't do it in front of a computer with a lock-screen on that shows a time well before your "live" shot or B) don't act like you are doing it live with fake banter including throwing it back to the studio.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

:yes:
damonhynes
Parks & Recreation

Post by damonhynes »

Mr.Nuke wrote:Pro tip for KETV: if you are going to tape a stand-up "live" from your newsroom either A) don't do it in front of a computer with a lock-screen on that shows a time well before your "live" shot or B) don't act like you are doing it live with fake banter including throwing it back to the studio.
Yep, Camila ought to be spanked for that and I'm the man for the job all right...
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

damonhynes wrote:Yep, Camila ought to be spanked for that and I'm the man for the job all right...
Could someone in the Human Resources department around here look into getting this poor guy the help he needs before he gets himself in trouble up to his....... :no: :no:
Mr.Nuke
Human Relations

Post by Mr.Nuke »

damonhynes wrote: Yep, Camila ought to be spanked for that and I'm the man for the job all right...
Camila last week was the first time I think I noticed this as well, but they did it again last night at 6 with either Barth or Fili. I forget which. One was outside the jail and the other did the tapped "live" hit. I get that they were both covering similar stories (one was the guy who killed his parents, the other was the Millard assistant principal, both having bail hearings) and you don't want to necessarily do two "live" shots back to back outside of the jail with different reporters; but yeah it is pretty awkward to have anchor reporter banter on both ends that make it seem like it is live and then it obviously not be.
Silverspoon
Home Owners Association

Post by Silverspoon »

mrsticka wrote:I wouldn't mind seeing more clips of KMTV, WOWT and KETV newscasts from the late 80's/early 90's on YouTube someday.
:banger:
Jim Flowers rules!
Silverspoon
Home Owners Association

Post by Silverspoon »

Im glad we can all agree on local news being a joke, but you all probably still find it sad that I find it so entertaining. The thing I hate the most about local news people is when they are talking infront of the camera, they have to make all those crazy movements with their head when they talk. They look like chickens pecking the camera lens.
Jim Flowers rules!
damonhynes
Parks & Recreation

Post by damonhynes »

Silverspoon wrote:Im glad we can all agree on local news being a joke, but you all probably still find it sad that I find it so entertaining. The thing I hate the most about local news people is when they are talking infront of the camera, they have to make all those crazy movements with their head when they talk. They look like chickens pecking the camera lens.
And Miranda Christian's hands! Channeling Bruce Lee or something. BTW, she's on her way to West Palm Beach. Too bad, she was growing on me.
damonhynes
Parks & Recreation

Post by damonhynes »

GrandpaaSmucker wrote:
damonhynes wrote:Yep, Camila ought to be spanked for that and I'm the man for the job all right...
Could someone in the Human Resources department around here look into getting this poor guy the help he needs before he gets himself in trouble up to his....... :no: :no:
LOFL! Watchdogging the media *is* my therapy... :roll:
Silverspoon
Home Owners Association

Post by Silverspoon »

damonhynes wrote:
Silverspoon wrote:Im glad we can all agree on local news being a joke, but you all probably still find it sad that I find it so entertaining. The thing I hate the most about local news people is when they are talking infront of the camera, they have to make all those crazy movements with their head when they talk. They look like chickens pecking the camera lens.
And Miranda Christian's hands! Channeling Bruce Lee or something. BTW, she's on her way to West Palm Beach. Too bad, she was growing on me.
Shes leaving the station?
Jim Flowers rules!
damonhynes
Parks & Recreation

Post by damonhynes »

Silverspoon wrote:
Shes leaving the station?
Yep:
damonhynes
Parks & Recreation

Post by damonhynes »

Lauren Scott: Gone. No info as to where. This one hurts.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

damonhynes wrote:Lauren Scott: Gone. No info as to where. This one hurts.
Lauren Scott wrote:I have some bittersweet news guys. Today was my last day reporting at KETV. When I moved to Nebraska three years ago I didn’t know a single soul. I knew nothing about this state... but not only did it become my home, I found a family. I cannot explain how grateful I am for my time in Lincoln and Omaha. I never could have imagined how much I would grow to love this place. I am truly going to miss it here.

And to all the viewers: Thank you for watching, your story ideas, and your words of encouragement. Thank you for engaging with me and making feel welcomed here. I truly appreciate all of you.

Let’s stay in touch! You can follow along with my journey on Twitter: @LaurenScottTV and Instagram: @itsLaurenScott
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

Just how many posters of news girls do you have on your bedroom wall anyway? :lol:
damonhynes
Parks & Recreation

Post by damonhynes »

GrandpaaSmucker wrote:
Just how many posters of news girls do you have on your bedroom wall anyway? :lol:
None currently--useta have Kysa Daniels from HLN and Marny Stanier from Weather Channel but that was a million years ago. Becoming a stalker would take more time and more moral rationalization than I was willing to spend!
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Coyote wrote:
Lauren Scott wrote:I have some bittersweet news guys. Today was my last day reporting at KETV. When I moved to Nebraska three years ago I didn’t know a single soul. I knew nothing about this state... but not only did it become my home, I found a family. I cannot explain how grateful I am for my time in Lincoln and Omaha. I never could have imagined how much I would grow to love this place. I am truly going to miss it here.

And to all the viewers: Thank you for watching, your story ideas, and your words of encouragement. Thank you for engaging with me and making feel welcomed here. I truly appreciate all of you.

Let’s stay in touch! You can follow along with my journey on Twitter: @LaurenScottTV and Instagram: @itsLaurenScott
It’s just the reality for TV markets of Omaha’s size/scope.. It's 50/50 that any on air talent hired sticks around for more than 3 years..

The allure of bigger and what is perceived as better is too great. And getting a bigger paycheck helps too. It’s best to not get too attached :) ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Silverspoon
Home Owners Association

Post by Silverspoon »

Here is an example of some of the great professionalism that I have come to expect from local news. I cant decide if this holy shirt is better than the usual plain t-shirt this chick wears on camera or not.

Hey, this is my 100th post!

https://uoxt6g.dm2301.livefilestore.com ... pmode=none
Jim Flowers rules!
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

Silverspoon wrote:Here is an example of some of the great professionalism that I have come to expect from local news. I cant decide if this holy shirt is better than the usual plain t-shirt this chick wears on camera or not.

Hey, this is my 100th post!

https://uoxt6g.dm2301.livefilestore.com ... pmode=none
A single cold shoulder? Wonder what the designers were going for with this?