Amazon HQ2

Kansas City, Denver, Minneapolis, and Coast to Coast

Moderators: Coyote, Omaha Cowboy, Brad, nebugeater, Candleshoe, the1wags

User avatar
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board
Posts: 2110
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2004 7:08 pm
Location: St. Louis

Re: Amazon HQ2

Postby TitosBuritoBarn » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:42 am

Meh, it's still a long shot...

I'm mildly annoyed that the author believes New Orleans is in the midwest.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert

User avatar
Garrett
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1838
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:29 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: Amazon HQ2

Postby Garrett » Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:24 pm

TitosBuritoBarn wrote:Meh, it's still a long shot...

I'm mildly annoyed that the author believes New Orleans is in the midwest.


I stopped reading at “New Orleans=Midwest”
From Omaha to Chicago
From Axel to Garrett

Still the same guy

User avatar
Uffda
Planning Board
Posts: 3102
Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2005 9:52 pm
Location: Omaha

Re: Amazon HQ2

Postby Uffda » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:05 am

Interesting article about Amazon's effect on Seattle

One walk through Seattle's 'Amazonia' neighborhood made me very uneasy for whatever city gets HQ2

http://www.businessinsider.com/amazon-h ... equences-6

User avatar
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board
Posts: 2110
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2004 7:08 pm
Location: St. Louis

Re: Amazon HQ2

Postby TitosBuritoBarn » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:04 am

Uffda wrote:Interesting article about Amazon's effect on Seattle

One walk through Seattle's 'Amazonia' neighborhood made me very uneasy for whatever city gets HQ2

http://www.businessinsider.com/amazon-h ... equences-6


As much as I believe Business Insider is Buzzfeed for news, he makes a couple good points. First, it's never a good idea to let one company dominate the local economy and be responsible for the majority of jobs. Because when that company leaves or declines, and it almost certainly will, the city/region of the city goes with it.

Second is the issue with Amazon attempting to control everything. If true what he reports about Amazon requiring businesses to stay open at night, there will be a lot of turnover unless they balance out the daytime and nighttime activity. A substantially greater number of residents as well as cultural institutions are needed to achieve a proper daytime/nighttime balance. That's usually easy (but slow) to fix.

Many of the other issues are just products of growth and can become major positives (which he does allude to) when sorted out better. If there weren't problems to fix, I wouldn't have a job.

--

What I'm hoping they do is locate to a city that has fallen on hard times like St. Louis, Detroit that has the infrastructure for growth already in place and could handle the influx of a large new employer. In St. Louis, we have an entire airport terminal we don't use, a light-rail system that is rarely congested, an urban housing stock that is ripe for investment as much of it as abandoned or underutilized, and a downtown with enough building stock and vacant lots to absorb at least what Amazon is proposing.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert

User avatar
Uffda
Planning Board
Posts: 3102
Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2005 9:52 pm
Location: Omaha

Re: Amazon HQ2

Postby Uffda » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:19 am

TitosBuritoBarn wrote:
Uffda wrote:Interesting article about Amazon's effect on Seattle

One walk through Seattle's 'Amazonia' neighborhood made me very uneasy for whatever city gets HQ2

http://www.businessinsider.com/amazon-h ... equences-6


As much as I believe Business Insider is Buzzfeed for news, he makes a couple good points. First, it's never a good idea to let one company dominate the local economy and be responsible for the majority of jobs. Because when that company leaves or declines, and it almost certainly will, the city/region of the city goes with it.

Second is the issue with Amazon attempting to control everything. If true what he reports about Amazon requiring businesses to stay open at night, there will be a lot of turnover unless they balance out the daytime and nighttime activity. A substantially greater number of residents as well as cultural institutions are needed to achieve a proper daytime/nighttime balance. That's usually easy (but slow) to fix.

Many of the other issues are just products of growth and can become major positives (which he does allude to) when sorted out better. If there weren't problems to fix, I wouldn't have a job.

--

What I'm hoping they do is locate to a city that has fallen on hard times like St. Louis, Detroit that has the infrastructure for growth already in place and could handle the influx of a large new employer. In St. Louis, we have an entire airport terminal we don't use, a light-rail system that is rarely congested, an urban housing stock that is ripe for investment as much of it as abandoned or underutilized, and a downtown with enough building stock and vacant lots to absorb at least what Amazon is proposing.


I noticed within his article he had links to other articles. The author was kind of putting it all in one spot.

bigredmed1
Home Owners Association
Posts: 189
Joined: Mon May 29, 2017 10:16 pm

Re: Amazon HQ2

Postby bigredmed1 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:46 pm

Uffda wrote:
TitosBuritoBarn wrote:
Uffda wrote:Interesting article about Amazon's effect on Seattle

One walk through Seattle's 'Amazonia' neighborhood made me very uneasy for whatever city gets HQ2

http://www.businessinsider.com/amazon-h ... equences-6


As much as I believe Business Insider is Buzzfeed for news, he makes a couple good points. First, it's never a good idea to let one company dominate the local economy and be responsible for the majority of jobs. Because when that company leaves or declines, and it almost certainly will, the city/region of the city goes with it.

Second is the issue with Amazon attempting to control everything. If true what he reports about Amazon requiring businesses to stay open at night, there will be a lot of turnover unless they balance out the daytime and nighttime activity. A substantially greater number of residents as well as cultural institutions are needed to achieve a proper daytime/nighttime balance. That's usually easy (but slow) to fix.

Many of the other issues are just products of growth and can become major positives (which he does allude to) when sorted out better. If there weren't problems to fix, I wouldn't have a job.

--

What I'm hoping they do is locate to a city that has fallen on hard times like St. Louis, Detroit that has the infrastructure for growth already in place and could handle the influx of a large new employer. In St. Louis, we have an entire airport terminal we don't use, a light-rail system that is rarely congested, an urban housing stock that is ripe for investment as much of it as abandoned or underutilized, and a downtown with enough building stock and vacant lots to absorb at least what Amazon is proposing.


I noticed within his article he had links to other articles. The author was kind of putting it all in one spot.


STL would be a good space for that much development, but I think they will head to the cool kids club towns like Austin.

Professor Woland
Library Board
Posts: 335
Joined: Thu May 26, 2011 8:28 pm
Location: Omaha Metro Area

Re: Amazon HQ2

Postby Professor Woland » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:29 pm

Boston.

damonhynes
Home Owners Association
Posts: 137
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:35 pm
Contact:

Re: Amazon HQ2

Postby damonhynes » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:36 pm

bigredmed1 wrote:STL would be a good space for that much development, but I think they will head to the cool kids club towns like Austin.


STL is the antithesis of cool, to be sure.

Albuquerque is the new Austin. Mark my words. :D
https://www.facebook.com/OmaNews/

bigredmed1
Home Owners Association
Posts: 189
Joined: Mon May 29, 2017 10:16 pm

Re: Amazon HQ2

Postby bigredmed1 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:17 pm

damonhynes wrote:
bigredmed1 wrote:STL would be a good space for that much development, but I think they will head to the cool kids club towns like Austin.


STL is the antithesis of cool, to be sure.

Albuquerque is the new Austin. Mark my words. :D

Used to live there in the 80s. It's always been better than Austin.

User avatar
jessep28
Planning Board
Posts: 2388
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:10 pm
Location: Omaha Metro Area

Re: Amazon HQ2

Postby jessep28 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:22 am

Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum

User avatar
Coyote
City Council
Posts: 20978
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:18 am
Location: Three floors down
Contact:

Re: Amazon HQ2

Postby Coyote » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:41 am

The 20 potential cities include Atlanta, Austin, Boston, Chicago, Columbus, Ohio, Dallas, Denver, Indianapolis, Los Angeles, Miami, Montgomery County in Maryland, Nashville, Newark, New York City, Northern Virginia, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Raleigh, Toronto and Washington D.C.
Image

User avatar
nebugeater
County Board
Posts: 6209
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:07 pm
Location: Gretna NE

Re: Amazon HQ2

Postby nebugeater » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:30 am

Coyote wrote:The 20 potential cities include Atlanta, Austin, Boston, Chicago, Columbus, Ohio, Dallas, Denver, Indianapolis, Los Angeles, Miami, Montgomery County in Maryland, Nashville, Newark, New York City, Northern Virginia, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Raleigh, Toronto and Washington D.C.



Glad they specified Columbus OHIO or I would have thought Columbus Nebr made it !
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!

User avatar
Garrett
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1838
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:29 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: Amazon HQ2

Postby Garrett » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:34 am

Well, looks like only 1 Rustbelt city on the list, otherwise not too surprising. I would have thought Detroit and STL would’ve had a chance.
From Omaha to Chicago
From Axel to Garrett

Still the same guy

User avatar
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board
Posts: 2110
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2004 7:08 pm
Location: St. Louis

Re: Amazon HQ2

Postby TitosBuritoBarn » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:09 am

Can't say I'm too surprised about this list either. Hoped to see STL, Detroit, or Cleveland on here too.

Personally, my preferred city for it to go to is Pittsburgh. Out of all the cities on the list, it's the one that seems to have fallen the hardest. Chicago would be second, although Chicago hasn't had much trouble with attracting new business to the city lately. I also think Atlanta, Indianapolis, Philadelphia, and possibly Newark and Nashville could use what Amazon would likely bring - that being urban oriented, commercial, high paying jobs. The other cities are doing fine on their own (Raleigh, Austin, Columbus, Dallas, Denver, New York, Boston, Toronto), have cost of living issues that would be made worse (Los Angeles, Boston, New York, DC, Toronto) or would just squander the opportunity (Dallas, Raleigh, Miami).
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert

Greg S
County Board
Posts: 3701
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:46 am

Re: Amazon HQ2

Postby Greg S » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:01 pm

My money is still on Denver.


Return to “Elsewhere”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest