Creighton Basketball 2017-2018

Metro area and region sports discussion

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

skinzfan23
City Council

Re: Creighton Basketball 2017-2018

Post by skinzfan23 »

Great win by the Jays. The crowd was great again (18,518, 9th largest all-time). Can't wait for the atmosphere coming up with home games vs Xavier and Nova both coming on Saturdays.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Multiple times tonight thay have said and the screen has shown that Creighton has never beaten a #1 team. Got me thinking. With the history before the Big East I have to,guess the opertunities to play a number 1team has not been many for the jays. Did a quick google search and didn’t find the answer. For those of you that follow the Jays closer does anyone know how many times they have played a #1
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
twiztid1
Home Owners Association

Post by twiztid1 »

I think Creighton is forever cursed against Villanova from the Wragge-bomb game.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

nebugeater wrote:Multiple times tonight thay have said and the screen has shown that Creighton has never beaten a #1 team. Got me thinking. With the history before the Big East I have to,guess the opertunities to play a number 1team has not been many for the jays. Did a quick google search and didn’t find the answer. For those of you that follow the Jays closer does anyone know how many times they have played a #1
Would be a good question for Rob Anderson.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

iamjacobm wrote:
nebugeater wrote:Multiple times tonight thay have said and the screen has shown that Creighton has never beaten a #1 team. Got me thinking. With the history before the Big East I have to,guess the opertunities to play a number 1team has not been many for the jays. Did a quick google search and didn’t find the answer. For those of you that follow the Jays closer does anyone know how many times they have played a #1
The Jays have now lost to a #1 team 3 times in their basketball history- twice to Villanova (last year and this year) and in 1980 they played and lost to #1 ranked DePaul..

Pathetic performance yesterday by the Jays. I know they were playing the #1 ranked team in their own house in Filthadelphia..But allowing a team to hit a record 19 three pointers against you is, well, a pathetic performance...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:
iamjacobm wrote:
The Jays have now lost to a #1 team 3 times in their basketball history- twice to Villanova (last year and this year) and in 1980 they played and lost to #1 ranked DePaul..

Pathetic performance yesterday by the Jays. I know they were playing the #1 ranked team in their own house in Filthadelphia..But allowing a team to hit a record 19 three pointers against you is, well, a pathetic performance...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Just a reverse of what Wragge did to them that one year funny enough. That game was actually fun to watch, unlike this one.

Honestly, I am not too disappointed in this loss...Nova is number one for a reason, and playing them at home when they were shooting lights out? Tough draw.

Onwards and upwards hopefully.
No posts exist for this topic
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

MadMartin8 wrote: Honestly, I am not too disappointed in this loss...Nova is number one for a reason, and playing them at home when they were shooting lights out? Tough draw.

Onwards and upwards hopefully.
Yeah.. I hear you on that.. And hopefully is right...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

I didn't get to watch the whole game, but looking at the box score, it appears that the Jays shot well (almost 50%) and had 14 assts along with good free throw shooting. Too bad their d didn't come to play.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:
iamjacobm wrote:

Ciao..LiO...Peace

Thanks
That sort of back up what I thought it might be. A bit of an over hype whit only three previous attempts.

I watched the game last night and as someone who pulled for the Jays but am not a living and breathing Jay's fanatic the game I watched was not a terrible loss for the Jays. They could have performed a little better on D but they went up a team with a LOT of weapons and they were all firing on rapid automatic last night. I think there are MANY teams that would have played that game last night and if Villanova played the same way would have lost by a lot worse score and looked a lot more inept.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

nebugeater wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:
iamjacobm wrote:

Ciao..LiO...Peace

Thanks
That sort of back up what I thought it might be. A bit of an over hype whit only three previous attempts.

I watched the game last night and as someone who pulled for the Jays but am not a living and breathing Jay's fanatic the game I watched was not a terrible loss for the Jays. They could have performed a little better on D but they went up a team with a LOT of weapons and they were all firing on rapid automatic last night. I think there are MANY teams that would have played that game last night and if Villanova played the same way would have lost by a lot worse score and looked a lot more inept.
You’re welcome..

And I agree with what you, Martin and Skinz have said analyzing the game.. It’s just a frustrating loss. I would LOVE to see the Jays return the favor when these 2 teams play in Omaha...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I missed the beginning of the game, but on the half time show, they said the Jays came out in a zone defense, something they normally don't play in. Apparently the Jays didn't execute the zone very well and Nova was just draining 3's against the zone.

As long as they use this as a learning experience in case they need it in the tournament...
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

Post by GrandpaaSmucker »

Creighton had no chance against Villanova. Epperson is not near good enough to be playing in a game against a team of this caliber. Martin Krampelj getting injured for the season has left Creighton in a funk. I actually think Nebraska has a team that is by far more talented then Creighton. If the Nebraska players were coached by McDermott and played as a team like Creighton they could be a top 10 team.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

GrandpaaSmucker wrote:Creighton had no chance against Villanova. Epperson is not near good enough to be playing in a game against a team of this caliber. Martin Krampelj getting injured for the season has left Creighton in a funk. I actually think Nebraska has a team that is by far more talented then Creighton. If the Nebraska players were coached by McDermott and played as a team like Creighton they could be a top 10 team.
I highly doubt that NE has a top 10 team no matter who is coaching them. They are a much better team than in past seasons, but still probably a top 50-75 team.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

GrandpaaSmucker wrote:Creighton had no chance against Villanova. Epperson is not near good enough to be playing in a game against a team of this caliber. Martin Krampelj getting injured for the season has left Creighton in a funk. I actually think Nebraska has a team that is by far more talented then Creighton. If the Nebraska players were coached by McDermott and played as a team like Creighton they could be a top 10 team.

Hahahahaha.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

skinzfan23 wrote:
I highly doubt that NE has a top 10 team no matter who is coaching them. They are a much better team than in past seasons, but still probably a top 50-75 team.

As a HUSKER fan I thing the reality might be somewhere in the middle of the two extreams.

Also, as a HUSKER fan lets not turn this thread into a Husker discussion of what they are or are not. Keep it Jays here. Move any conversation you want to have over to the Husker thread, and I will move any more Husker posts here over there to keep it clean. No problem with what is said here so far but history tells me this could wander quickly.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Actually in the Husker thread on page one, you said Nebraska would be lucky to win 10 games this year.

Greg
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

Greg S wrote:
Actually in the Husker thread on page one, you said Nebraska would be lucky to win 10 games this year.

Greg
I did say that because at that point in the season Nebraska looked hopeless and terrible.........and then suddenly almost out of nowhere this poorly coached team that did not play well as a team revealed for the first time that it had players that were incredibly talented. Maybe coach Miles knew that there were players on that team that might even play in the NBA someday but the rest of us had seen little sign of it. If Creighton played Nebraska today they would be lucky to win. Nebraska has come to realize they are more talented then most teams and they are starting to get their confidence. I dont see any players on Creighton's team ever playing in the NBA.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

GrandpaaSmucker wrote:I dont see any players on Creighton's team ever playing in the NBA.
Really? Just really? Ever heard of a player named Khyri Thomas?
You know he is projected as a late first round/early second round NBA draft pick?
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Coyote wrote:
GrandpaaSmucker wrote:I dont see any players on Creighton's team ever playing in the NBA.
Really? Just really? Ever heard of a player named Khyri Thomas?
You know he is projected as a late first round/early second round NBA draft pick?
Admittedly, Grandpa has upped the anti and increased his college basketball knowledge over the past year.. But Grandpa speaks out of turn on this one.. Barring injury, Khyri Thomas (Taz) is definitely a top notch NBA prospect.. Followed closely by wingman Marcus Foster.. The Jays have talent, but playing on the road against the #1 team in college basketball..with them raining 19 3 point shots, was too much for Creighton (and probably 99% of D1 level college basketball teams) to overcome..

Just because the Jays lost by 20 on the road to the #1 team in the US, does not mean it’s time to overreact in the negative..

The Jays get another shot at the Wildcats in Omaha fairly soon.. Let’s hope they can return the favor...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

[quote="Omaha Cowboy"]

Admittedly, Grandpa has upped the anti and increased his college basketball knowledge over the past year.. But Grandpa speaks out of turn on this one.. Barring injury, Khyri Thomas (Taz) is definitely a top notch NBA prospect../quote]

I have watched more basketball games in the past year then I should probably admit too. I'm not sure I increased my basketball knowledge much :lol: From years of watching basketball I do feel confident in saying I would sooner draft 6ft 6in James Palmer Jr then 6ft 3in Khyri Thomas :shrug:
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

I think Thomas is the closest to being an NBA player right now. I think he declares for the draft after the season.

Greg
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Great win for the Big East
#4 Duke 77
St. John's 81
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Coyote wrote:Great win for the Big East
#4 Duke 77
St. John's 81
Just saw the last few seconds. Wow, the last place (winless) team in the Big East just beat the #4 team in the country.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

St John's was up 66-55 with 7 minutes left, and held Duke off at the end.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Coyote wrote:St John's was up 66-55 with 7 minutes left, and held Duke off at the end.
Thats surprising that they held on, they have been up in a ton of games this year, but always find a way to lose. Just like the game in Omaha, they were up 10, but Creighton came back to pick up the win.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

The Big East is just crazy strong. Love being part of this conference.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

MadMartin8 wrote:The Big East is just crazy strong. Love being part of this conference.
I’m with you on that. Crazy strong indeed...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

#4 Duke 77
St. John's 81
I wonder if this upset will be enough for Chris Mullin to keep his job?..

Probably not...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

In Lunardi's latest Bracketology, he has (7) potentially matching up with (2) Auburn for the 2nd round. I would think that is the best possible team we would like to play. The other 2 seeds are Kansas, Mich St and Duke.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:
#4 Duke 77
St. John's 81

Probably not...
St. John's 79
#1 Villanova 75
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Wow another top 5 win this week for St. Johns. Just knocked off #1 Nova at Nova 79-75.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Marquette 88
Seton Hall 85
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Terrible first half for Creighton tonight, if they were playing anyone other than DePaul, they would be losing by at least 15-20 pts.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

WOW was that garbage. Creighton sneaks out a win against Depaul High School, 76 to 75.

Villanova loses to St. John's? The world has gone mad.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Coyote wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:
#4 Duke 77
St. John's 81

Probably not...
St. John's 79
#1 Villanova 75
2 upsets of top 5 teams in a row..with the latest on the road at Villanova.. This certainly improves his case. Before the upset against Duke, Mullin was clearly on the hot seat...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

MadMartin8 wrote:WOW was that garbage. Creighton sneaks out a win against Depaul High School, 76 to 75.

Yeah- the Jays nearly gave that one away.. But I’ll take the Big East road win and happily return to Omaha..

Regarding St. John’s, I wonder what sorcery Chris Mullin has conjured up to get his team to now play at a top 5 level :what: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:
MadMartin8 wrote:WOW was that garbage. Creighton sneaks out a win against Depaul High School, 76 to 75.

Yeah- the Jays nearly gave that one away.. But I’ll take the Big East road win and happily return to Omaha..

Regarding St. John’s, I wonder what sorcery Chris Mullin has conjured up to get his team to now play at a top 5 level :what: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace

Don't get me wrong, a win is a win and each one is fantastic...but...damn.

And St John's is a weird beast. Not sure I understand what's going on with them...but glad they keep improving their RPI, we may need it.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

MadMartin8 wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:

Ciao..LiO...Peace

Don't get me wrong, a win is a win and each one is fantastic...but...darn.

And St John's is a weird beast. Not sure I understand what's going on with them...but glad they keep improving their RPI, we may need it.
I’ll go “old school” in agreeing with your above comment..

Word!...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Huge shot by Marcus last night. I am sure that Mac yelled at Manny for shooting the 3 with 20 seconds on the shot clock with about 1 min left in the game. That could have proved to be the reason we lost, thankfully we have one of the best shooters in the country on our team and he stepped up again and hit a big shot.

Glad that Creighton doesn't have to play St. Johns in the regular season again.
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

skinzfan23 wrote:"thankfully we have one of the best shooters in the country on our team and he stepped up again and hit a big shot"
Thats one way of spinning an ugly reckless Creighton finish to the game but a more truthful account would be........ The so called "best shooter" took an ill advised tough shot at a crucial point at the end of the game and luckily for him a team member was able to get the rebound and give the so called "best shooter" a second chance. The shooter used his second chance kind of badly again and took another tough shot and this time the shot when in with just enough time to win the game. You like to see the crucial last shot of the game be a more high percentage shot then the desperation shot it turned out to be.

Creighton may be a shoe in for the big dance but they don't have a chance in the world of going far the way they are playing these days.