Creighton Basketball 2017-2018

Metro area and region sports discussion

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

skinzfan23
City Council

Re: Creighton Basketball 2017-2018

Post by skinzfan23 »

True, last night's game was garbage for Creighton. They got into foul trouble (although the refs had something to do with that, at one point Creighton had 18 fouls, DePaul only had 8). But glad to see that everyone on the team contributed in some fashion. Foster had an amazing game. 11-19 shooting and 5-8 from 3. You can expect to shoot 100%, but he is shooting over 51% from the field and 45% from 3. With the amount of shots that he takes, both of those numbers are outstanding. Not to mention that he had 3-4 amazing dunks last night. Not sure where this team will be without him next season.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

#5 Xavier 72
Creighton 71

Harrell gets fouled on a three point shot with 4.6 seconds left, makes all three.
Then call a blocking foul on CU with .3 horrible call, horrible call.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

What a B.S way to lose. My brain just exploded.
No posts exist for this topic
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

An absolutely PATHERTIC call. Just horrible. You should have heard the radio guys.. Going ballistic would be an understatement..

BS way to lose a game...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

I hate blaming the refs for anything, but I'm not sure there could be a worse call. First of all, Ronnie was backing away and had his arms straight up in the air...second, Goodin took three steps without dribbling on the drive, that's traveling.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

The Big East gets two #1 seeds from the in-season selection committee, Villanova and Xavier.
Bruce Rasmussen is on CBS right now.

The Omaha regional gets
1. Xavier (3)
2. Auburn (5)
3. Clemson (9)
4. Oklahoma (16)
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

According to Jerry Palm the Big East would get:
Villanova (1) E
Xavier (1) MW
Creighton (6) W
Seton Hall (7) MW
Providence (10) S

In the West Creighton would play Washington (11) and then North Carolina (3)
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Coyote wrote:According to Jerry Palm the Big East would get:
Villanova (1) E
Xavier (1) MW
Creighton (6) W
Seton Hall (7) MW
Providence (10) S

It would have been a BIG feather in the Jays’s cap had they defeated Xavier yesterday. The team really needs to finish strong. An upset of Villanova here in Omaha would be enough deodorant to cover the stink of getting hosed by the officials against Xavier. I’d say right now, NU is playing with more confidence than the Jays.. But the level of competition in the Big East this year, is much higher than the Big 10.. For what that’s worth...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

I think Creighton ends up a 7-10 seed now, that game cost them a likely 5 or 6 seed. Tough tough break.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

That was a very hard foul to swallow. In all fairness though, after looking back at replays, the foul on Harrell shooting the 3, was just a minimal touch foul, that probably shouldn't have been called. I really, really, really hate to lose this way. The officiating was so inconsistent. There were many times throughout the game where a player would get mugged and nothing would get called, and then they end it with those two ticky-tack fouls. The good news is, because Nova and Xavier had such high RPI's, Creighton's RPI actually increased with the loss.

And Creighton and Oklahoma St have played the most Top 25 teams this season with 9 each. No other local team is even close:

Iowa: 3
Nebraska: 6
Kansas: 6
UNO: 2
Wichita St: 2
Iowa St: 7
cp jay 07
Human Relations

Post by cp jay 07 »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:
Villanova (1) E
Xavier (1) MW
Creighton (6) W
Seton Hall (7) MW
Providence (10) S

It would have been a BIG feather in the Jays’s cap had they defeated Xavier yesterday. The team really needs to finish strong. An upset of Villanova here in Omaha would be enough deodorant to cover the stink of getting hosed by the officials against Xavier. I’d say right now, NU is playing with more confidence than the Jays.. But the level of competition in the Big East this year, is much higher than the Big 10.. For what that’s worth...

Ciao..LiO...Peace

With all due respect to UNL beating teams in the 100s in a bad conference is no way near playing in the Big East. I would say the Jays got more confidence knowing they just had a 1 seed beat than beating teams like Rutgers and Minnesota. I'm sure the huskers will have plenty of confidence beating those teams when the NIT rolls around.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Jays are #25 in the new coaches poll.

Being in the Big East is great.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

cp jay 07 wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:
Villanova (1) E
Xavier (1) MW
Creighton (6) W
Seton Hall (7) MW
Providence (10) S

Ciao..LiO...Peace

With all due respect to UNL beating teams in the 100s in a bad conference is no way near playing in the Big East. I would say the Jays got more confidence knowing they just had a 1 seed beat than beating teams like Rutgers and Minnesota. I'm sure the huskers will have plenty of confidence beating those teams when the NIT rolls around.
Thank you. Part of me would kill to have Nebraska's last 10 games, but then part of me is glad that Creighton doesn't need to worry about potential RPI bombs outside of Depaul.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

SI's 2018 First Round NBA Mock Draft:

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (75.85 KiB) Viewed 1734 times
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

MadMartin8 wrote:
cp jay 07 wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:
Villanova (1) E
Xavier (1) MW
Creighton (6) W
Seton Hall (7) MW
Providence (10) S

Ciao..LiO...Peace

Thank you. Part of me would kill to have Nebraska's last 10 games, but then part of me is glad that Creighton doesn't need to worry about potential RPI bombs outside of Depaul.
I hope my post is not being misinterpreted here. I understand the difference between the conferences, hence my comment. I also believe winning breeds confidence. And NU, while playing in the Big 10, has won, I think, 5 games in a row.. Leading to my comment about the Huskers playing with more confidence. Does this mean I believe NU is the better team? No. Does this mean I don’t believe CU benefits from playing in the Big East which is right now, probably the toughest D1 college basketball conference top to bottom? Of course not..

What I am trying to convey, is that it would help the Jays confidence, IMMENSELY, going down the stretch drive of the season, to defeat one of these top teams.. Like a Villanova..

See St Johns as a reference for what I’m talking about.. Oh and-

Go Jays :thumb: ...
Go Cowboys!
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

skinzfan23 wrote:Jays are #25 in the new coaches poll.

Being in the Big East is great.
They also likely realize the Jays got hosed by the refs and should have walked out of Century Link with a victory over Xavier last Saturday afternoon...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

At the risk of posting way too early and making a snap judgement, Creighton is playing absolutely horrible tonight. Being kicked at home against a bad DII (or worse?) Team? Good god, what the heck.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Embarrassing, when they should be resting their starters.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

What did I say about confidence :;): ..

Anywho, at least the Jays are up 45-34 at the half...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Coyote wrote:Embarrassing, when they should be resting their starters.

Seem to be intermingling Starters with backups.

Creighton back in control by 30 now. Thank goodness they decided to shake off the hangover.
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

Post by GrandpaaSmucker »

This game reminded me of when Nebraska Football teams are playing super lame inferior teams. .......You got nothing to gain by playing teams like this and everything to lose.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Wow, what a crazy game. It was obvious that Bemidji St came out ready to go and was fired up. Creighton on the other hand looked very lethargic and decided to keep hoisting up 3's. Thankfully they settled down and after being down 30-22, they outscored Bemidji, 72-16. That is quite a run. There was a time in the 2nd half where they were holding Bemidji to single digits until they hit a 3 with 1:30 left in the game. Bemidji only shot 12% in the 2nd half.

What a great showing for Epperson and hopefully he gained some confidence. He finished 3-3 from 3 with a game and career-high of 15 pts.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Fun seeing some other guys get some playing time last night.

Photo Gallery:
http://photos.whiteandbluereview.com/p369072539

MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

And the wacky wild Big East continues its ways. Villanova loses to Providence.

Had the Jays not had that loss against Xavier, they could be playing for tops of the conference here. Oh well.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

MadMartin8 wrote:And the wacky wild Big East continues its ways. Villanova loses to Providence.
Just a crazy year in the big east. Tournament should be fun!

Here was an interesting tweet from our writer at the WBR:
@mjdemarinis wrote:Providence at home this season:
- beat Xavier
- beat Villanova
- beat Creighton
- beat Butler
- got boat-raced by DePaul
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

That is crazy that they have had all those great wins, but got killed by one of the worst teams in the conference. Although DePaul is no slouch. And as previously mentioned, St. Johns and Georgetown have had some great wins as well lately even though they were at the bottom of the league through 2/3 of the season.

One thing I do know, you hardly see this happen in the Big 10. The bottom teams might win an upset or two, but not significantly changing in the league standings.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Horrible home loss for CU tonight..

Blowing an early 15 point 2nd half lead. Now do y’all see what I say about CU playing with a LACK of confidence? The Jays are dunb-fuddled by Marquette’s 2-3 Zone in the 2nd half.. If this CU team gets a seed in March Madness, I sense yet another one and done..

I don’t feel the same about the Huskers. If and when NU gets a bid this year (they will), I sense they’ll win their 1st NCAA Tounament game..

If not for Taz, the Jays would have lost this game by 8-10.. At HOME :what: ..

Again and simply- PATHETIC...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

It's just another patented McDermott late season meltdown, it happens every single year. Oh well, on to next year with the same thing happening. Pathetic.

This style of play wears them out or something by the end of the year, and they just become a MVC looking team again. Just don't get it.

They'll go one and done if they make the tourney, just go to the NIT and play the younger guys, get them experience.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

This Jays team is going NOWHERE..

Taz was the ONLY player who stepped up in the 2nd half and played with any sort of confidence.. The Jays were out rebounded BADLY in the 2nd half, especially on the offensive glass..

And that Marquette won the game with their BEST player, Howard, injured and out for the 2nd half.. is TELLING..

Poor play and poor coaching.. The Jays are a wilted flower. They’re DONE...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:This Jays team is going NOWHERE..

Taz was the ONLY player who stepped up in the 2nd half and played with any sort of confidence.. The Jays were out rebounded BADLY in the 2nd half, especially on the offensive glass..

And that Marquette won the game with their BEST player, Howard, injured and out for the 2nd half.. is TELLING..

Ciao..LiO...Peace
I hope Taz comes back next year, Creighton will need him. I will miss Toby though and Foster, that goes without saying. That said, after this year Clement is gone, so I wonder who McDermott will play now? Will he just go out there with 4 guys because he doesn't trust the 5th (yes, I know hyperbole, but I am just a bit frustrated)?

*Sigh* We can recruit talent, but I can't help but wonder if McDermott has plateaued. Nice guy and decent coach, but can he take it to the next level? Is he like a, to use a comparison folks here may understand, a Solich or Kemp?

A frankly, since it happens every single year, I don't really think it comes down to "confidence" as a root cause. Something is systemic.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

MadMartin8 wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:This Jays team is going NOWHERE..

Ciao..LiO...Peace
I hope Taz comes back next year, Creighton will need him. I will miss Toby though and Foster, that goes without saying. That said, after this year Clement is gone, so I wonder who McDermott will play now? Will he just go out there with 4 guys because he doesn't trust the 5th (yes, I know hyperbole, but I am just a bit frustrated)?

*Sigh* We can recruit talent, but I can't help but wonder if McDermott has plateaued. Nice guy and decent coach, but can he take it to the next level? Is he like a, to use a comparison folks here may understand, a Solich or Kemp?

A frankly, since it happens every single year, I don't really think it comes down to "confidence" as a root cause. Something is systemic.
This team wilts like a flower. We saw it last year in the tournament..and have seen it time and time again in the 2nd half of selected games this season. Marquette, with their best player in the hospital in the 2nd half, out gritted and outplayed the Jays..

The “here we go again” funk the Jays play with absolutely comes down to confidence. And because the Jays are a talented basketball team, I put that squarely on the shoulders of Mac..

And while we’re talking about Coach Mac, I wish he could explain why this team, continually, is befuddled by a 2-3 zone defense :what: .. And why, WHY did it take Mac nearly halfway into the 2nd half to insert Epperson into the lineup and WHY did he only play 8 total minutes in this game????.. When things started going south in the 2nd half, I would have played Jacob until he dropped or fouled out...

Confidence and in game coaching..

Frankly, coach Mac reminds me a lot of Cowboys head coach Jason Garrett. Great preparation and culture guy.. But the in game coaching leaves a lot to be desired..

If the Jays can somehow upset Butler on Tuesday and Villanova in Omaha, it will provide enough deoderant to cover up the foul stench of this loss.. But I see the Jays 0-2 for those games..

I think Taz is gone after this season. Obviously I hope he takes a queue from Marcus Foster and stays for his senior season...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

I don't understand why Epperson didn't get more minutes yesterday. He only played 8 min but ended up 7-7 with 14pts. Hegner played 32 min and only scored 10. Not that Epperson is a much better rebounder or anything but Hegner can't even locate the ball when it comes off the rim.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

The question for tonight is-

Will the Jays, once again, wilt like a flower, show ZERO mental toughness and confidence (including yet another series of in game coaching gaffs by Coach Mac) and drop tonight’s game at Butler..Calling me to harken back and yearn for the days Dana Altman was head coach?..

Or-

Will the Jays prove me wrong..Play with mental toughness and confidence..With Coach Mac making all the right in game decisions..And the team plays one of its best games of the year in a road game upset of a good Butler team?..

PLEASE, let it be the latter. I can’t take too many more of the formers..

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

skinzfan23 wrote:I don't understand why Epperson didn't get more minutes yesterday. He only played 8 min but ended up 7-7 with 14pts. Hegner played 32 min and only scored 10. Not that Epperson is a much better rebounder or anything but Hegner can't even locate the ball when it comes off the rim.
Your guess is as good as mine on why folks like Epperson don't get more playing time even though they are producing.

That said, for next year I am excited for Epperson and Krampelj on the floor at the same time..
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

skinzfan23 wrote:I don't understand why Epperson didn't get more minutes yesterday. He only played 8 min but ended up 7-7 with 14pts. Hegner played 32 min and only scored 10. Not that Epperson is a much better rebounder or anything but Hegner can't even locate the ball when it comes off the rim.
Epperson was getting rag dolled on the boards. He may have been producing offensively but was a defensive liability. He needed the season in the weight room and dinner table.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

I agree with him needing to add some muscle, but its not like anyone else on the team was a rebounding machine vs Marquette. Hegner played 32 min and only had 4 boards. Every time the ball comes off the rim, he looks lost. It amazes me how few of college players know how to rebound the ball. Its all about positioning, desire and ability to read the ball. If someone is shooting a 3 from the corner, most of the time the rebound will go to the opposite side of the hoop. Its obviously very clear that no one on Creighton's current team has rebounding awareness except for Ronnie. He is the only one time and time again coming up with tough rebounds and he isn't that big either and is only 6'7".
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:The question for tonight is-

Will the Jays, once again, wilt like a flower, show ZERO mental toughness and confidence (including yet another series of in game coaching gaffs by Coach Mac) and drop tonight’s game at Butler..Calling me to harken back and yearn for the days Dana Altman was head coach?..

Or-

Will the Jays prove me wrong..Play with mental toughness and confidence..With Coach Mac making all the right in game decisions..And the team plays one of its best games of the year in a road game upset of a good Butler team?..

Ciao..LiO...Peace

Early returns point to option #1
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Another tough loss for the Jays. This was their worst loss in over 2 years. Hopefully they come out fired up vs Nova this Saturday. That is their only chance at a victory.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

MadMartin8 wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:The question for tonight is-

Or-

Ciao..LiO...Peace

Early returns point to option #1
Well Martin, “The Don” had a late night at the office and was unable to watch the game.. But I can only imagine, based on the final score, the Jays performance was an extension of what we’ve seen and been talking about- a systematic “here we go again” breeding a lack of grit and confidence.. Sprinkled in with a few head scratching in game coaching decisions by Coach Garrett..err, I mean Coach Mac..

It appears yet again, another disappointing and pathetic performance..

I guess I need to turn my attention to the NFL Draft..Much earlier than I anticipated...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Creighton takes Nova to Overtime 72-72