MLB in Omaha

Metro area and region sports discussion

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Coyote
City Council

MLB in Omaha

Post by Coyote »

MLB looking at a game in Omaha a few days before the CWS.
iamjacobm
City Council

Re: MLB in Omaha

Post by iamjacobm »

Coyote wrote:MLB looking at a game in Omaha a few days before the CWS.
Don't go pulling my leg Coyote.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Two regional series that week. Reds and Royals; Cubs and Brewers
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Yeah Kendall Rogers is reporting. This would be great. Might still be a long shot but at least it's being discussed.

Greg
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Monday through Wednesday the MLB draft, Thursday night MLB game, Friday CWS opening night ceremonies, Saturday first CWS game. Possible for 2019.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Coyote wrote:Monday through Wednesday the MLB draft, Thursday night MLB game, Friday CWS opening night ceremonies, Saturday first CWS game. Possible for 2019.
3 weeks of baseball nirvana in Omaha. A few hundred MLB representatives filling up hotels, live broadcasts from CLCO with first round draft picks on MLB Network capped off by a sold out MLB game under the lights in DTO. All that before they throw a pitch for the CWS? Sign me up.

Only risk would maybe be some event fatigue by the end of the CWS.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Coyote wrote:Monday through Wednesday the MLB draft, Thursday night MLB game, Friday CWS opening night ceremonies, Saturday first CWS game. Possible for 2019.

Holy |expletive|, that would be huge.
No posts exist for this topic
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

http://www.omaha.com/sports/blogs/mad-c ... b3256.html

Pretty good coverage of this possibility by Dirk Chatelain in the OWH today. Looks like 2019 is the soonest it might happen.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Post by omaha79 »

I'm all in for this. I would assume that it would be one of the hottest tickets of the year and would be insanely high on the secondary market, depending on who they get. If you get the Royals or Cubs to play in this game, then it will be insane.

Now, I'm interested to see how it works from a territorial rights perspective. I'm sure many will assume it would be a Cubs game with this being TD Ameritrade park and Ricketts relationship with Omaha and MECA. Still, Omaha is Royals territory. I'm guessing they would have first right of refusal for any MLB games played in Omaha, even over the Cubs with old man Ricketts old companies name hanging over the stadium.

Maybe MLB would override in that situation or come to some sort of compromise, but also, the Cubs probably wouldn't want to give up a home game. Teams like Chicago and St. Louis who routinely sell out probably wouldn't think it's worth it to give up a home game. You might have to have it be a team that wouldn't be losing out on much from a gate perspective. Maybe make it White Sox vs. Royals with the Royals as the road team and the White Sox giving up a home game. Or, Padres vs. Cubs with Cubs as the road team. Or, Royals vs. Cubs with the Royals as the home team. I just don't see the Cubs giving up a home game at Wrigley Field for 25k in Omaha.

I can't wait to see how it plays out. There will probably be some politics involved, at least in the first year. And, I love the idea of having the draft in Omaha as well.
TwoPups
New to the Neighborhood

Post by TwoPups »

While the Royals are probably the predominant team in a Omaha, the Cubs and Cardinals are a very close second/third. There are also quite a few Brewers and Twins fans in town. If it was a Cubs game alone: awesome. If it were truly a Cubs/Brewers matchup (as rumored), that would be amazingly cool and tickets would be very hard to get. If it were Cubs/Cards it would be almost unbelievable and tickets would be absurdly expensive.
Fort Calhoun
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Fort Calhoun »

omaha79 wrote:I'm all in for this. I would assume that it would be one of the hottest tickets of the year and would be insanely high on the secondary market, depending on who they get. If you get the Royals or Cubs to play in this game, then it will be insane.

Now, I'm interested to see how it works from a territorial rights perspective. I'm sure many will assume it would be a Cubs game with this being TD Ameritrade park and Ricketts relationship with Omaha and MECA. Still, Omaha is Royals territory. I'm guessing they would have first right of refusal for any MLB games played in Omaha, even over the Cubs with old man Ricketts old companies name hanging over the stadium.

Maybe MLB would override in that situation or come to some sort of compromise, but also, the Cubs probably wouldn't want to give up a home game. Teams like Chicago and St. Louis who routinely sell out probably wouldn't think it's worth it to give up a home game. You might have to have it be a team that wouldn't be losing out on much from a gate perspective. Maybe make it White Sox vs. Royals with the Royals as the road team and the White Sox giving up a home game. Or, Padres vs. Cubs with Cubs as the road team. Or, Royals vs. Cubs with the Royals as the home team. I just don't see the Cubs giving up a home game at Wrigley Field for 25k in Omaha.

I can't wait to see how it plays out. There will probably be some politics involved, at least in the first year. And, I love the idea of having the draft in Omaha as well.
The territorial rights belong to the Storm Chasers, not Kansas City. The Storm Chasers would have to give their permission for any exhibition or regular season major league game.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

Better start planning for a dedicated stadium for this event.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Post by omaha79 »

Fort Calhoun wrote:
omaha79 wrote:I'm all in for this. I would assume that it would be one of the hottest tickets of the year and would be insanely high on the secondary market, depending on who they get. If you get the Royals or Cubs to play in this game, then it will be insane.

The territorial rights belong to the Storm Chasers, not Kansas City. The Storm Chasers would have to give their permission for any exhibition or regular season major league game.
I don't believe this is correct.

Every MLB team has a territory. Omaha belongs to KC even outside of having their MiLB team here. This extends to things like broadcast and blackout rights. It also would be similar to how Oakland can't just move to San Jose. Certain MLB teams are protective of what business other teams do in their territory and holding a regular season game in someone elses territory would fall under that jurisdiction, I'd believe.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

MLB commissioner Rob Manfred set to make announcement Thursday in Omaha

https://www.omaha.com/sports/cws/mlb-co ... c8fd7.html
World-Herald wrote:No details were provided regarding what that announcement will be, but a press release stated Manfred will make it in coordination with the Omaha Storm Chasers and others. The press conference will begin at 2 p.m., and The World-Herald will provide a live stream.
Also a guy from mlb.com was just on 590 with Mike'l and said that they have looked at the "Old Theater downtown" (Orpheum Theater) as a venue for the draft.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

This sounds like it could be huge news pending for Omaha :thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Mr.Nuke
Human Relations

Post by Mr.Nuke »

Royals vs. Tigers next year during the week leading up to the CWS
https://apnews.com/883a39c6753e4a25b126 ... e-2019-CWS
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

I couldn’t be more excited about this. How cool to see the Royals in a sold out TDAP.
omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Post by omaha79 »

I'm so excited for this. I am already wondering what it will take to get tickets and how much they will cost. This is a must attend for me.

I'm wondering if there will be ticket options for Storm Chasers ticket holders? Royals ticket plan holders? CWS Season ticket holders?

I'm betting the cost will be high.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

This is awesome, a regular season game to boot.

And the baseball draft at the Orpheum? How fricken cool is this?
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

omaha79 wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:14 pm I'm so excited for this. I am already wondering what it will take to get tickets and how much they will cost. This is a must attend for me.

I'm wondering if there will be ticket options for Storm Chasers ticket holders? Royals ticket plan holders? CWS Season ticket holders?

I'd be willig to bet both existing club and suite holders will get those tickets. I know our company tickets on club level are tied in for both Creighton and the CWS.

Greg
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

MadMartin8 wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:32 pm This is awesome, a regular season game to boot.

Is the draft at the Orpheum official? It does not seemed mentioned as much as the game.

Greg
omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Post by omaha79 »

Greg S wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:20 am
omaha79 wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:14 pm I'm so excited for this. I am already wondering what it will take to get tickets and how much they will cost. This is a must attend for me.

I'd be willig to bet both existing club and suite holders will get those tickets. I know our company tickets on club level are tied in for both Creighton and the CWS.

Greg
I would guarantee that. When you get into the premium seats, they often are tied to personal seat licenses giving the holders first right of refusal for any events in the facility.

I wouldn't be shocked if this is one of the higher demand events in recent history with tickets selling out almost immediately. It also wouldn't shock me to see the secondary market with your lowest price "get you in the door" seat at $125 plus. That might drop a bit closer to game week depending on the forecast, but I could easily see this staying around a $100 ticket even for bleacher seats.

With the demand from the corporate premium seat holders, Storm Chaser fans, KC Royals fans, CWS Season Ticket Holders, I think there will be alot of hands out to get these seats. It wouldn't shock me if the only way a Storm Chasers fan is guaranteed tickets would be to commit to a half or full season ticket plan next year. I'd consider it.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

I'm not sure this will be tide in to the Chasers tickets at all. With them having KC come up in March I don't think it will be tied in with them at all. Different ball parks, ticket systems (the Chasers don't use ticketmaster), and MECA.

I got great seats for the exhibtion game at Werner (also had decent seats for the one last year) and I am not a Chasers ticket holder (though a big KC fan so I go to a lot of Chasers games with my family).

I do agree their will be high demand and excitement for this event.

I am in several KC Royals Fans social media groups (email lists, Facebook groups) and there is considerable interest from KC fans coming from KC and elsewhere for this.

Greg
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Greg S wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:21 am
MadMartin8 wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:32 pm This is awesome, a regular season game to boot.

Is the draft at the Orpheum official? It does not seemed mentioned as much as the game.

Greg

Not official, but seems there is some smoke.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

MadMartin8 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:22 am
Greg S wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:21 am

Greg

Not official, but seems there is some smoke.

I think it would be incredibly popular here. I'd love to see it happen.

Greg
omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Post by omaha79 »

Greg S wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:13 am I'm not sure this will be tide in to the Chasers tickets at all. With them having KC come up in March I don't think it will be tied in with them at all. Different ball parks, ticket systems (the Chasers don't use ticketmaster), and MECA.

I got great seats for the exhibtion game at Werner (also had decent seats for the one last year) and I am not a Chasers ticket holder (though a big KC fan so I go to a lot of Chasers games with my family).

I am in several KC Royals Fans social media groups (email lists, Facebook groups) and there is considerable interest from KC fans coming from KC and elsewhere for this.

Greg
I was told that they were still in negotiation phase and that KC and OSC had certain needs in terms of ticketing and advertising before they would sign off to allow the game at TD Ameritrade Park. Being the territorial rights holder, any game in Omaha was going to have to be approved by both KC and Omaha if it were to happen.

So, yes, they do have some leverage here. I would hope that the Chasers wouldn't get shut out of this in terms of tickets and then see this somehow gobbled up by CWS Season Ticket holders and/or Creighton season ticket holders. Not unprecedented for MECA though.
Last edited by omaha79 on Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:39 am, edited 3 times in total.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

omaha79 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:59 am
Greg S wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:13 am I'm not sure this will be tide in to the Chasers tickets at all. With them having KC come up in March I don't think it will be tied in with them at all. Different ball parks, ticket systems (the Chasers don't use ticketmaster), and MECA.

Greg
At one point, I talked to members of the Chasers front office. At that time, I was told that they were still in negotiation phase and that they needed certain concessions in terms of ticketing and advertising before they would agree to allow the game at TD Ameritrade Park. Being the territorial rights holder, any game in Omaha was going to have to be approved by both KC and Omaha if it were to happen.

It may have been posturing, but I was told at that time that they were saying that if they didn't get what they needed out of it, they were threatning to have a regular season Royals game at Werner Park during the CWS instead. That wouldn't have been ideal for anyone, but it was certainly an option they could have used for leverage and if talks totally broke down, they could have done it unless MLB stepped in and said no. No one from MECA, CWS, or City of OMaha could have stopped it.

So, yes, they do have some leverage here. How much they ultimately flexed their muscle? I don't know. We will soon find out.

I would hope that the Chasers wouldn't get shut out of this in terms of tickets and then see this somehow gobbled up by CWS Season Ticket holders and/or Creighton season ticket holders. Not unprecedented for MECA though.

I think everything they wanted they got with the exhibition game. They really wanted KC to comeback and have a rainout date this time, which they got from KC. So if their game gets rained out on Monday, KC agreed to stay and play Tuessday. I will have to ask Martie next time I see him about what you are saying. That just doesn't sound like the way they operate to me. They have such a great relationship with KC, it's hard for me to see them making demands if KC wants to do this.

Greg
omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Post by omaha79 »

Greg S wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:58 pm
I think everything they wanted they got with the exhibition game. They really wanted KC to comeback and have a rainout date this time, which they got from KC. So if their game gets rained out on Monday, KC agreed to stay and play Tuessday. I will have to ask Martie next time I see him about what you are saying. That just doesn't sound like the way they operate to me. They have such a great relationship with KC, it's hard for me to see them making demands if KC wants to do this.

Greg
It wasn't a negative thing. Sounded like KC and OSC were relatively in lockstep on this. That they wanted to ensure that the event was going to be conducted with the needs of the KC and Omaha franchises in mind since they were going to place this in a venue that isn't controlled by either entity. It sounded to me like it was just to make sure that all parties that should have a voice in this were given a place at the table and weren't just dictated terms by Omaha, MECA, and CWS.

I didn't get the feeling, in any way, shape, or form, that the Omaha franchise was doing an end run around KC and their wishes. If that was conveyed, it wasn't the intent.

Negotiations are always going to be part of the process.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

The part that got my attention was were you said they were looking to have a MLB game at Werner during the CWS. I can't picture the Chasers doing that. Also I don't see how MLBPA or the Commissioner signing off on something like that when they are trying to expand their relationship with the NCAA not worsen it.

Greg
Last edited by Greg S on Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation

Post by HskrFanMike »

Fort Calhoun wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:22 am The territorial rights belong to the Storm Chasers, not Kansas City. The Storm Chasers would have to give their permission for any exhibition or regular season major league game.
I was wondering why their logo was on the backdrop today, and figured I'd find the answer here. It just seemed out of place.

That also confirms why we haven't had an MLB exhibition game downtown yet either.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

HskrFanMike wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:57 pm
Fort Calhoun wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:22 am The territorial rights belong to the Storm Chasers, not Kansas City. The Storm Chasers would have to give their permission for any exhibition or regular season major league game.
I was wondering why their logo was on the backdrop today, and figured I'd find the answer here. It just seemed out of place.

That also confirms why we haven't had an MLB exhibition game downtown yet either.

Yeah you wouldn’t get an exhibition game downtown. Those would be at Werner Park. Those are not common anymore, I think only three scheduled last year with affiliates, and one of the three was the scheduled one with the Storm Chasers.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

It was said on KFAB that ticket sales would be handled through the Stormchasers. Of course this was from Jim Rose so take the info with that in mind.
omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Post by omaha79 »

I did hear a number of people saying when this was rumored back in March that the Omaha Storm Chasers would have no role in this. That clearly isn't the case. It was interesting to hear people like Manfred thanking the Storm Chasers for allowing this to happen. Seeing their logo on the backdrop was cool too.

And, from what I'm already seeing online and other places, it does sound like the Storm Chasers will have a significant role in the ticketing, etc. I think this is as is should be.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

This is amazing but wish we were getting a better game. Would be cool if they moved the draft to the convention center so that everything was together in north downtown. This could end up being huge for Omaha.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Linkin5 wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:22 am This is amazing but wish we were getting a better game. Would be cool if they moved the draft to the convention center so that everything was together in north downtown. This could end up being huge for Omaha.
For the first one I think it would be tough to get any game that didn't involve KC since this is their market. After the first one I hope it continues and additionally I hope that other Midwestern teams can rotate in.
HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation

Post by HskrFanMike »

Greg S wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:15 am

Yeah you wouldn’t get an exhibition game downtown. Those would be at Werner Park. Those are not common anymore, I think only three scheduled last year with affiliates, and one of the three was the scheduled one with the Storm Chasers.
The rumor I had heard was that Cubs, owned by the primary owners of TD Ameritrade, were trying to play an exhibition game downtown after leaving spring training, but had been blocked.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

HskrFanMike wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:26 pm
Greg S wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:15 am

The rumor I had heard was that Cubs, owned by the primary owners of TD Ameritrade, were trying to play an exhibition game downtown after leaving spring training, but had been blocked.

Yeah I heard several versions of that, along with some craziers ones like the the the Cubs wanted to flip AAA franchises with the Royals. All kinds of fan based rumors because of the Ricketts family in Omaha. None of it seemed to be based in reality. A good friend of mine was fairly high up at MECA up to about a year ago and I asked her about this and some others and it didn't seemed to have any facts behind it.

Greg
HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation

Post by HskrFanMike »

Greg S wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:14 amYeah I heard several versions of that, along with some craziers ones like the the the Cubs wanted to flip AAA franchises with the Royals. All kinds of fan based rumors because of the Ricketts family in Omaha. None of it seemed to be based in reality. A good friend of mine was fairly high up at MECA up to about a year ago and I asked her about this and some others and it didn't seemed to have any facts behind it.
Since the Ricketts family bought the Cubs after Sarpy County signed the deal to build a minor league stadium, it was crazy at that point. However, it wouldn't have been so crazy if the timing were different...
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

HskrFanMike wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:12 pm
Greg S wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:14 amYeah I heard several versions of that, along with some craziers ones like the the the Cubs wanted to flip AAA franchises with the Royals. All kinds of fan based rumors because of the Ricketts family in Omaha. None of it seemed to be based in reality. A good friend of mine was fairly high up at MECA up to about a year ago and I asked her about this and some others and it didn't seemed to have any facts behind it.
Since the Ricketts family bought the Cubs after Sarpy County signed the deal to build a minor league stadium, it was crazy at that point. However, it wouldn't have been so crazy if the timing were different...

Yeah if Sarpy had not stepped up and kept the Royals/Chasers and they moved, it would have made it a little more of a possibility. You'd still have the bigger issue of Chicago wanting to stage an exhibition game in a market that belongs to another team (KC).

Greg
omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Post by omaha79 »

Anyone heard about tickets going on sale for the game in June at TD Ameritrade? 4 months out and barely a peep about this game since last summer.

However, I now see something noted as "Royals Presale" listed on Ticketmasters site for Wednesday. Presale seems to indicate that there would likely be a code, but I haven't heard of anyone knowing anything about this.

It's all very odd.