Loveland Centre (90th and Center)

West Omaha, Sarpy and Nebraska metro counties.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

the1wags
County Board

Loveland Centre (90th and Center)

Post by the1wags »

With the closing of the Burger King at 90th and Center, it and the BP in front of it will be razed to make way for some sort of new office building, my sources say.
omahastylee459
Parks & Recreation

Post by omahastylee459 »

maybe they will tear down that long abandoned computer games store as well right next to the putt putt, that thing has been empty as long as I can remember
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

Actually it was a video game arcade. I used to go over there almost every day after getting out of school at Arbor Heights (now Westside Middle School). :D
midtown charlie
Human Relations

Post by midtown charlie »

I hope the new Omaha by design guidelines are used to GUIDE this project. 90th and center is just screaming to be a neighborhood destination. Imagine ground floor retail on a 3-5 story building. Parking either below ground or tucked in behind. I will miss putt putt though. What are the chances of this happening?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I say leave put put alone, build a new Bugerking on the curner where the BP is now, then tear down that awful looking strip mall and put a nice big office building there. 3-5 stories works for me. However I think the residents of the sunset hills neighborhood might have something to say about that.
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

I think BK is looking to build closer to the interstate somewhere on 84th but haven't heard anything finalized yet. On that exact corner isn't going to happen though from what I've heard.
omahastylee459
Parks & Recreation

Post by omahastylee459 »

I will miss putt putt though
no one said anything about taking out the putt putt, im pretty sure that will be staying

Post by Guest »

what about a 2-4 story building.....with a bk in it? then they relocate put put to the roof of the building..haha
midtown charlie
Human Relations

I think a mixed-use Randy Brown style office blding at this corner could be stunning. There are already some 50's modern type buildings on 90th just a block down. This intersection if done right could embrace the 50's modern look and get away with it. As long as it still incorporates the basic principles of Omaha by design.
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

A little more info regarding the NW 90th and Center, now not sure if it is going to be office or not. Supposedly in addition to the BP and Burger King the former arcade and the putt putt are also getting the axe. Another guy at my source said he heard it could also be a new QuikTrip, but that seems like a lot of space for that. I'll post any info as I get it.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

(image shack is having a problem this weekend, you might need to see my photos mon or tues)
The BK is closed.

I know it was a snow day, but the sign wasn't even on so the VIP might be closed also.

UNOstudent
Human Relations

Post by UNOstudent »

they tore out the gas pumps today and they have some big caterpillar machine sitting there ready to tear down the building
adam186
Planning Board

Post by adam186 »

Thanks for the update!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Any news on the VIP

Also, I never realized how much land PutPut had, Who knows how much is in the flood plain.
adam186
Planning Board

Post by adam186 »

Where do you get those maps Brad? They're very interesting.
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

Hey thanks for that map Brad. I didn't know Putt Putt had that much land either. I haven't been by for a few days, don't know about the VIP car wash, I'll be going by today though, I'll check it out.
loyalomahan
Library Board

Post by loyalomahan »

Anyone know how to dig up the real estate transfer information on any of these properties? This might shed some light on what's going to happen here. :)
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Where do you get those maps Brad? They're very interesting.
Different county's. Some are free, others cost, but I can access the pay sites through a work.
Anyone know how to dig up the real estate transfer information on any of these properties? This might shed some light on what's going to happen here.
I checked last night nothing yet, However Rumor has it Slosberg (spelling) Reality bought all of it.
Last edited by Brad on Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation

Post by HskrFanMike »

midtown charlie wrote:I think a mixed-use Randy Brown style office blding at this corner could be stunning. .
Stunningly awful. His buildings make the old Zorinsky Building look like the Taj Mahal. I've joked that his web site should be http://www.uglybuildings.com
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

A condo Developer bought the following properties:

PutPut
Games Building
BP Gas starion
Buger King

I don't know about the VIP yet

Apparently they wanted the whold block but were unalbe to get the rest of it.

Post by Guest »

Of course! Backing right up to the golf course, a great location in highly desirable District 66. Hopefully it interacts well with the surrounding area and encourages more similar infill.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Hopefully it encourages a remodel of the strip malls next door and across the street!
Construction Guest

Post by Construction Guest »

Slosburg did purchase the property but did not include the Burger King, and will be developed into a retail center.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Construction Guest wrote:Slosburg did purchase the property.
Yep..

I heard the same thing..

It will become a new retail center..

Someone update me..The VIP looked like it was closed when I drove by it a couple of days ago..Any word?..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:
Construction Guest wrote:Slosburg did purchase the property.
Yep..

I heard the same thing..

It will become a new retail center..

Someone update me..The VIP looked like it was closed when I drove by it a couple of days ago..Any word?..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
It looked closed when I took that picture, but the guy I talked to didn't think it was part of the project. The guy I talked to also said condos, not retail, so I would guess we have to wait and see. I am suprised, with being somewhat of a major project(for that neighborhood), we haven't heard anything yet?
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Brad wrote:I am suprised, with being somewhat of a major project(for that neighborhood), we haven't heard anything yet?
Agreed..

And when I mentioned to my source that it 'appeared' VIP was also closed and potentially part of the Slosburg plan; he was not aware it was (part of the plan)..And expressed suprise that it may have closed..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
midtown charlie
Human Relations

I like the idea of condo's but the cynic in me says they are going to be 1 maybe 2 story condo/house type structures w/ a strip mall thrown in. This would be a great chance for Omaha by Design or city planning to right the wrongs on this intersection. I hope I am wrong but I don't have a good feeling that Omaha by Design (city-wide that is) will do much. They have done some great things don't get me wrong but they seem to missing some little opportunities. These little ones will add up over time. I sure hope I am proven wrong!!

I am not talking a 25 story structure that would look out of place in the neighborhood but a nice 4-6 story building with street level activity would be nice. What is the excitement of a condo if you don't have other amenities such as retail things near by. Why not just buy a house and get a service plan and a lawn service.....
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Here is one that is a little more refined with some generic enterances in it.

the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

VIP was open today.
midtown charlie
Human Relations

Where does the open space start on your pics? I can't tell by the top down view.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

midtown charlie wrote:Where does the open space start on your pics? I can't tell by the top down view.
I guess I am not sure what you are asking? The white area is the Put Put, Games building, Gas Station, BK, and VIP carwash lots all combined in to one big empty lot to let your imagination run wild.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I heard about this new office building last week from the law offices in the area, but if I heard correctly the office building was going to be on the other side of 90th, taking away the strip mall. Now, why all this other land has been purchased has a lot of tenants in this area worried. I'll ask them again what they know over the weekend.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

After further review I don't know if one of the rumors that I had heard was true or not. Supposedly the retailers in the strip mall were told they would not renew rental agreements after 6 months time. Now I do not know if that is true or not - one of the retailers had not heard this - or was not giving any info out.

Also - I heard that Slosberg was building a (not my words but a sources) "skyscraper" - not knowing how many floors it would be - and that it was a Commercial Federal Building that will also house doctors and lawyers.

Just rumors.
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

Wait Coyote, those are two different rumors correct?

Post by Guest »

Yes, Coyote could you clarify the details of what you are saying please. From what I gather you are saying that Slosberg is building a "skyscraper" that would have ComFed, lawyers & doctors as tenets. I also am left to assume by your message that this building is going to be at 90th & Center. Could you clean this up, if my understanding is wrong.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Sorry about the confusion. A few weeks back I had heard that the strip mall that has Senor Matias and Schloemans Lamp was going to be replaced with something, and that land on the NW corner of 90th and W. Center was being bought up. At that time Slosburgs name kept coming up (his son that is) for both parcels.

I went back to clarify that yesterday and now the rumor of the strip mall is questionable. But the 'skyscraper' on the west side of 90th was mentioned to be a Commercial Federal tower with doctors and lawyer offices. I don't know who used the term skyscraper or what they meant by that but 8 - 11 floors was mentioned (this being an unreliable comment)

I don't think any plans have been drawn up because Slosburg could still be trying to buy up land before they can estimate what they can put there, and some people are keeping real quiet about it (posturing for more money I am sure)

This would really change this corner of the city. I don't know if the strip mall is going to be affected but that really needs better tenants. Didn't a Ben Franklin or some nickle & dime store used to be there or a Baum's or Thull's Pharmacy?

Where the Hy-Vee is there used to be a great pizza place - Shakee's - with a player piano and a barbershop quartet. They had a small pink booklet with songs in it like "Yes sir that's my baby"... so you could sing along. You could watch them make their pizzas also through some large windows. A great family place.
midtown charlie
Human Relations

Shakee's rocked!!
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

Wow... I'm glad I'm not the only one on the forum who remembers Shakey's Pizza... didn't it close in the late 70's ?

Do you remember an old guy who played the banjo there? He was my grand parents neighbor. :)

Of course at the same intersection... I remember my parents always shopping at Shaver's Grocery.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

jhuston wrote:Do you remember an old guy who played the banjo there? He was my grand parents neighbor. :)
How could you forget the banjo player. I don't know if I exactly remember the very person.

Sherwood "Shakey" Johnson who started Shakey's pizza in Sacramento was a banjo player and he played piano and banjo to entertain his patrons and is in the Banjo Hall of Fame.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Just to stir up the rumor mill a little more:

I know that the tenants at the Turco Law offices and the Sunset Valley Professional buildings (both are north of the the VIP carwash) are wondering if they will have to move elsewhere. I was supposed to meet up with one of the lawyers there today but we never hooked up. Maybe I'll find out more tomorrow.