Locally Owned Restaurants in West O

Omaha's dining, arts and music scene

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

scraper
Home Owners Association

Locally Owned Restaurants in West O

Post by scraper »

At the request of W8ing, I thought we'd start a thread with restaurants in West Omaha that are locally owned so that those who live out West can make informed decisions on supporting locals. Add on and if some are listed that aren't actually locally owned, please correct me:

Prima 140 - near Oakview, north of Center
Bebo's - 132nd and Maple
Sam and Louie's Pizza - 156th and Dodge
Boyd & Charlie's - downtown Elkhorn
Ellada - 168th and Center
Summer Kitchen Cafe - 130th and Maple
Garden Cafe - Rockbrook
Jerico's - 119th and Dodge
Brother Sebastian's - 120th and Pacific
Red Zone BBQ - 120th and Blondo
Hector's - 156th and Pacific
La Mesa - 108th and Maple
Big Fred's - 120th and Pacific
China Buffet - 147th and Maple
Grillhouse - 168th and Pacific
Feta's
Le Voltaire - 156th and Dodge
Pasta Amore - Rockbrook
O - 85th and Dodge
The Sitar - 130th and Center
Stokes - Miracle Hills
Hiro Sushi - 130th and Maple
DiCoppia - 132nd and Dodge
Clancy's - 114th and Dodge - 72nd and Pacific - Elkhorn
Brazenhead - 78th and Dodge
Fernando's (I think is local)
Gaeta's
Ozark Meat Company - 114th and Center
Jack and Mary's - 108th and north of Dodge
Jaipur - Rockbrook
La Fonda - 125th and Center
McKenna's BBQ - 78th and Pacific
Millard Roadhouse - Downtown Millard
Last edited by scraper on Thu May 25, 2006 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Can Godfather's really be considered locally owned any more?
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

If you are looking for good pizza in SW Omaha, try Bernie's (nice OLD school place) or Pudgy's Pizza at 168th and Harrison (used to be in the strip mall where the Pizza Machine is now).

I also love Shirley's (not for those who loathe cigarette smoke).
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Fernando's is sort of local to Omaha. It is actually an off-shoot (brothers are/were owners?) of El Bee's in Waterloo (the original).

I'd give a big thumbs up to The Grillhouse (180th & Pacfic, SE corner), too, by the way. There's something there for anybody's taste (assuming, of course, you have taste).

-Big E
Stable genius.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

Alvarados Mexican Food -- N. 90th
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

Where are all of these places located?
scraper
Home Owners Association

Post by scraper »

I added rough locations for those that I know.
jsheets
Human Relations

Post by jsheets »

Now where are the Sarpy, CB, South O, Midtown, and Downtown threads?
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

jsheets wrote:Now where are the Sarpy, CB, South O, Midtown, and Downtown threads?
-I think most people know where the South O, Midtown and Downtown ones are. I also think we have established that CB is bad for restaurants. I agree with Sarpy County though.
Minneapolis Boy
Library Board

Post by Minneapolis Boy »

Exotic Flavors at 144th & Maple. A chef who moved from Manhattan owns this restaurant. It is not part of a chain.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

Roja, Blue, and The Scarlet and Creme Letter Club (or whatever it is) can be added to that.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Is Blue the sushi joint? I was a little underwhelmed. Cool decor, though. Food - average. Same with Hiro, although I would give it the nod over Blue for quality and the good sake list. Still nothing in town that I've found that can win my heart away from Ichiban (now Sakura Bana).

I thought Roja was a chain?

-Big E
Stable genius.
lonnie
Library Board

Post by lonnie »

Do we really know who "owns" these restaurants?

Some chain restaurants are locally owned and operated.

Some single location "local" restaurants are owned by out-of-state individuals, LLC's or banks.

What is the point of this thread?

Lonnie
w8ing
Human Relations

Post by w8ing »

The point is to learn which restaurants are started by folks who live and work in the metro area who put their blood, sweat and tears and a little salt and pepper too, no doubt, into ground up, new eating establishments that don't have the benefit of being a franchisee with the backing of chain.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

Big E wrote:I thought Roja was a chain?

-Big E
Nope, they are owned by the same people who did Blue, hence naming it after a color.
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

How the heck did you make it out to the Grillhouse Big E? Did you get lost on your way back from Fremont??

My wife and I enjoy it as well. It's within walking distance of course.
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

joeglow wrote:I also think we have established that CB is bad for restaurants.
What in the Sam Hill are you talking about Joe Blow?
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

--William Jennings Bryan
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

LOL... I was in the neighborhood for a graduation party.

-Big E
Stable genius.
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

icejammer wrote:
First of all, it is rather pathetic that you have to go back to 3rd grade and change people's name to make fun of the name.

Second of all, here is what in the sam Hill I am talking about

http://www.eomaha.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... estaurants

For a town CB's size, it is disappointing that they have such a short list to offer.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

I would add Pizza Gourmet at 156th and Maple to this list.

I think Bebo's is closed, maybe moving...

Greg
Raraavis
Library Board

Post by Raraavis »

You must have been in a bad mood when you went to Blue.

I have eaten at Blue with people from both coasts who have said that it is on par with the best sushi places in their cities.

Thai Spice is locally owned they have two West O locations that I know of 108th and Maple and 156th and Dodge.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Raraavis wrote:I have eaten at Blue with people from both coasts who have said that it is on par with the best sushi places in their cities.
Actually, I would completely agree with that statement. However, Ichiban/Sakura Bana still blows them all out of the water - having had sushi in Baltimore, NYC, DC, Scottsdale (AZ), and Mnpls (North Coast?), from the trendy to the traditional. But that's just one man's opinion. I like the traditional sushi much better than the newfangled see-how-much-you-can-wind-up-in-a-roll places.

Anyon know of a sushi place in Fremont? Even the HyVee here doesn't have any! :)

-Big E
Stable genius.
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

joeglow wrote:
icejammer wrote:
First of all, it is rather pathetic that you have to go back to 3rd grade and change people's name to make fun of the name.

Second of all, here is what in the sam Hill I am talking about

http://www.eomaha.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... estaurants

For a town CB's size, it is disappointing that they have such a short list to offer.
OK, I'm pathetic. :roll: In no way is the list comprehensive or complete as to eating establishments, nor is such representation made. A few suggestions for Jeff to try were made, that's all. If you wish to conclude that this is all CB has to offer, then I'm not likely going to change your (closed?) mind. If, however, you're willing to expand your horizons, feel free to try these and many other fine establishments in town. I hope you do.

Have a nice day.
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

--William Jennings Bryan
lonnie
Library Board

Post by lonnie »

Greg S wrote:...I think Bebo's is closed, maybe moving...

Greg
Yes,
According to the Blue staff, the Blue/Roja, group is opening "Bianco" (white in Italian) in the BeBo's location.

Lonnie
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

Let's all get along guys.
Harpoon
Human Relations

Post by Harpoon »

I enjoy El Bees, one at Hwy 50 and I-80, as well as the one out in Waterloo. Mounds of cheese.
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

Big E wrote:
Raraavis wrote:I have eaten at Blue with people from both coasts who have said that it is on par with the best sushi places in their cities.
Actually, I would completely agree with that statement. However, Ichiban/Sakura Bana still blows them all out of the water - having had sushi in Baltimore, NYC, DC, Scottsdale (AZ), and Mnpls (North Coast?), from the trendy to the traditional. But that's just one man's opinion. I like the traditional sushi much better than the newfangled see-how-much-you-can-wind-up-in-a-roll places.

Anyon know of a sushi place in Fremont? Even the HyVee here doesn't have any! :)

-Big E
I can totally agree with that statement. My girlfriend and I ate at probably half of the sushi resturants in San Francisco, and while some of the came pretty close, we still both think that Ichiban/Sakura Bana is the best sushi we've ever had.

Also, there are two Thai Pepper locations (one in that plaza on 114th and Dodge and another on around 132nd and Q or so). Thai Jasmine is located on 156th and center.

The Taj is a good Indian place also in that plaza on 114th and dodge.
djc311
Parks & Recreation

Post by djc311 »

Bianco will be essentially a next door neighbor to us over in Eagle Run Plaza. It should open in the early fall or late summer, depending on how long the "gutting" of the place takes.

I look forward to having them as a neighbor!

D
Alt(Bayern)München
Home Owners Association

Post by Alt(Bayern)München »

Grillhouse is across the street from my neighborhood,and is no longer owned by the original family & they were putting up a new sign a couple weeks ago as I drove by...
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

A correction for my last post: Thai Jasmine is now called Taste of Thailand, still on 156th and Center.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Revera's Mexican Food, 120thand Blondo. (careful with the homemade Japalno Poppers!)
HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation

Post by HskrFanMike »

I believe Vincenzio's is local as well, though their 2 locations (144th & Blondo and 76th & Pacific) are now seperately owned.

Isn't Julio's a local chain as well?
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Vincenzo's (sp?) originated in Lincoln (Haymarket), I believe. Julio's is local. (13th & Jonesish, 132nd & Centerish, and one other?)

-Big E
Stable genius.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Big E wrote:Vincenzo's (sp?) originated in Lincoln (Haymarket), I believe. Julio's is local. (13th & Jonesish, 132nd & Centerish, and one other?)

-Big E
CLOSED -- 90th and fort
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

The Reader wrote:Former Grillhouse Restaurant owner Jason Himberger is launching his new cooking (and lounging) grounds this week. LiT, at 180th and Pacific, is not exactly a full-on dining establishment — according to Himberger, the place is a hip and contemporary hybrid of a “seductive lounge” and an upscale eatery. A seafood-heavy, tapas-inspired sample listed appetizers and “LiT Specialties” including Hummus Pizza, Seafood Bisque, Fresh Atlantic Salmon and a triple-threat choice of skewers in chicken, beef tenderloin or shrimp.
Sounds interesting. What would a "seductive lounge" be?
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Coyote wrote:
The Reader wrote:Former Grillhouse Restaurant owner Jason Himberger is launching his new cooking (and lounging) grounds this week. LiT, at 180th and Pacific, is not exactly a full-on dining establishment — according to Himberger, the place is a hip and contemporary hybrid of a “seductive lounge” and an upscale eatery. A seafood-heavy, tapas-inspired sample listed appetizers and “LiT Specialties” including Hummus Pizza, Seafood Bisque, Fresh Atlantic Salmon and a triple-threat choice of skewers in chicken, beef tenderloin or shrimp.
Sounds interesting. What would a "seductive lounge" be?
Is this also the Grillhouse location?
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

nebugeater wrote:Is this also the Grillhouse location?
The Grillhouse is still in this strip mall. LiT will be just to the north of The Drafthouse (the place that was just denied an outdoor Beer Garden) which is just west of The Grillhouse.
Dfresh
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Dfresh »

I've been to Lit a few times...the atmosphere is nice, no smoking, good food etc...I would highly recommend Lit to anyone.
Brad
City Council

Re: Locally Owned Restaurants in West O

Post by Brad »

Bernie's Pizza in Millard to close after 45 years

http://www.omaha.com/money/bernie-s-piz ... 1a38d.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Barbara Soderlin / World-Herald staff writer wrote:Now Millard is changing again, but this time Drassal says he won’t be a part of it. He plans to close his business at 136th and Q Streets on April 19 after nearly 45 years, two years before he planned to retire, saying his landlord is making it too expensive to operate the restaurant.
skinzfan23
City Council

Re: Locally Owned Restaurants in West O

Post by skinzfan23 »

Brad wrote:Bernie's Pizza in Millard to close after 45 years

http://www.omaha.com/money/bernie-s-piz ... 1a38d.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Barbara Soderlin / World-Herald staff writer wrote:Now Millard is changing again, but this time Drassal says he won’t be a part of it. He plans to close his business at 136th and Q Streets on April 19 after nearly 45 years, two years before he planned to retire, saying his landlord is making it too expensive to operate the restaurant.
I have never been there, but it looks like a good place and it has pretty good reviews online.

What is everyone's opinion of the food? I am wanting to try it before they close.