Pinnacle / Swanson Site (10th and Capitol)

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Is that the Lisa Simpson Tower?
15-17, 26, 32
adam186
Planning Board

Post by adam186 »

I think we should lock the other thread and call this the "Official: Swanson Site" or something like that.
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

Has the actually plant closed yet or is it still in operation?
adam186
Planning Board

Post by adam186 »

I think it closed up over a year ago. It was on the news when the employees were leaving.
omahastylee459
Parks & Recreation

Post by omahastylee459 »

anyone have any explosives?? :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation

Post by HskrFanMike »

omahastylee459 wrote:anyone have any explosives?? :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
With an elevated freeway next door??? :shock: :shock: :shock:
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Yeah, you're begging to rename it the Frankie Payne Honorary 480 Spur.

-Big E
Stable genius.
j4nu
Home Owners Association

Post by j4nu »

I was coming across the bridge the other day and thought, a entertainment center with apartments and/or condos would be ideal there, just as said before. But to top it off, put up a space needle spire type building (not the tornado building as mentioned before). It would add to the skyline and tie the Qwest Center to the Old Market. Just an idea.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

I'm not feelin' the space needle business.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

adam186 wrote:I think we should lock the other thread and call this the "Official: Swanson Site" or something like that.
Why do you bring this up so much?
15-17, 26, 32
adam186
Planning Board

Post by adam186 »

MTO wrote:
adam186 wrote:I think we should lock the other thread and call this the "Official: Swanson Site" or something like that.
Why do you bring this up so much?
Easy to search, all together information so it's not all over the place. We don't need 5 different threads for one topic. Basically, organization.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

I know I just had to point it out.
15-17, 26, 32
Whale Shark
Home Owners Association

Post by Whale Shark »

I might get hung by my nuts for saying this....but, I would like to see some density in this area rather than one tall tower. How about two towers, one condo and the other office/hotel, both around 20 stories, with a park, pond, fountain, etc. seperating the two. This would really add to filling in the skyline from the airport.
omahastylee459
Parks & Recreation

Post by omahastylee459 »

Whale Shark wrote:I might get hung by my nuts for saying this....but, I would like to see some density in this area rather than one tall tower. How about two towers, one condo and the other office/hotel, both around 20 stories, with a park, pond, fountain, etc. seperating the two. This would really add to filling in the skyline from the airport.
I think this is what everyone has on their minds. In the end, I doubt a tower of any kind will be built there. Whatever is built there will most likely fit downtown, but I am not expecting a high rise. ONE 20 story tower would surprise me, I think I would have a heart attack if two were announced. Just thinking realistically...
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I think a tower is what the city was wanting from this site since they wanted a variety of uses.
DTO
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

I think the earlier posted 'rendering' of an idea from one of the forumers illustrated very well what I think most of us would LOVE to see here.

Pretty much high density mixed use, and if there is a tower incorporated...well you bet your |expletive| we'll take it.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

You mean this? :D The floor uses are just an estimate, but now I'm thinking the hotel could be only around 10 floors instead, leaving more space in the tower for other use. (apartments, condos, etc)

MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Wow wag what kind of CAD program did you use? I like the layout; can I get a place near the top?
15-17, 26, 32
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

Thanks for that Jake, I didn't use a CAD program. :D Good ol fashion pencil my friend. I'll reserve you a spot in there. :)

I drew this up with the assumption that the sporting goods store, the place behind it, and its triangle lot would be purchased for this project but after actually after looking at the site in person a bit more, I don't think there is enough room for that triangle shaped parking garage. I think parking would need to added within the main site. I think I need to make a new draft. :)
adam186
Planning Board

Post by adam186 »

MTO wrote:can I get a place near the top?
You can't have a place at both of our places. :P
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Will just have to see whose is taller.
15-17, 26, 32
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Josh and I were looking at the possiabilities one nigh when out shooting photos. Its a lot like josh's but here is what I drew up.

You would start by drawing a straight line from 11th street towads the Qwest Center Main Entrance. On this line you would lay street car line so when Omaha finally builds a Street car its ready to go, This strip would have the feel of a "Main Street" setting with 12 retail bays lined on both sides, which would include shops as well as food&beverage places. Nex comes 13, a 20 to 25 story office building 14 would be an enclosed "Lobby, which would serve both the Office and Hotel buildings plus house meny public places such as meeting rooms, reception halls and an art gallery. 15 would be a 30 to 35 story hotel with the upper floors being Condos. 16 would be a parking structure, as big as they can get it.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

That is Jack! Those designs.
I recently perused their ad.
They are not asking as much as I thought
- but passing Omaha By Design and all...
Prime Steak!
adam186
Planning Board

Post by adam186 »

Prime steak and I'm starving.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

adam186 wrote:Prime steak and I'm starving.
I have to say that this property has to be Prime Omaha choice.
Wallstreet. Old OWH. Burlington...
What other DTO property holds so much potential?
adam186
Planning Board

Post by adam186 »

Coyote wrote:
adam186 wrote:Prime steak and I'm starving.
I have to say that this property has to be Prime Omaha choice.
Wallstreet. Old OWH. Burlington...
What other DTO property holds so much potential?
You know you bring up a very good point (probably not intentially, just my crazy thinking spinning around). There are a lot of "Prime locations" DT ready for development that haven't been mentioned or thought of. I think I'm going scouting tomorrow taking pictures and taking notes. I'll make a mega thread and we can all brainstorm and discuss.
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

Brad, that angled "main street" is perfect, just as we discussed.

People, can you imagine walking out of the Qwest after an event, hopping on the streetcar and then going through this mixed use area w/ shops and a big hotel anchor. Additionally, then down 11th past that parking lot (theater anchor anyone?), across my proposed 11th street GLM ped/streetcar bridge, dropping right into the heart of the Old Market.

Movers and Shakers take note! :)
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I would have liked to have seen what designs the city got a few years ago when they put out RFPs. I know they had extremely high standards for this area. I'm guessing that they didn't get what they wanted. The main things I see having to happen before this takes off are the following.

-Streetcar down 10th St.
-More destinations in North DT between Creighton and the Qwest.
-The Wallstreet Tower to be around 80% sold.

The condos that will be at the Pinnacle site will be similiar to Wallstreet in price and it will have to be tall to over look the interstate. There is more proving to do with sales at the Wallstreet so there won't be as much hesitation to do the same at the Pinnacle site.
DTO
adam186
Planning Board

Post by adam186 »

Absolutely wags. Also, enclosing the tracks under an arched glass ceiling would make it even cooler. It's a great concept and people riding the streetcar will be jumping off to visit it. Those retail shops will have the highest lease per sq/ft in the city.
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

Someone should get this plan to Christian Christiansen!
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

It's such an awesome idea I'm sure there wont be no problem selling it to them.
15-17, 26, 32
Big Skyline
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Big Skyline »

This project would be great for the area and the city SOMEONE please rush this idea to the mayors office :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
BUILD UP AND TALL!
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

Seriously, is anyone actually sending this idea to anyone, or are we all just sitting around with our thumbs up our butts, hoping that someone with money and influence will stumble onto this thread?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Seriously, is anyone actually sending this idea to anyone, or are we all just sitting around with our thumbs up our butts, hoping that someone with money and influence will stumble onto this thread?

We are developing ideas. No I am not going to send the very crude sketch I made to anyone, but if one of the many developers and local media that are lurkers on our site, see it and want to use it for something, even better.
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

I've taken my inital idea and worked in the angle from 11th to 10th for the streetcar. Here's the start of my rendering. Helicopter view, looking SW.

I'll keep working on it, make it look better. For the height crazed, the tower is 550ft. :D
Big Skyline
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Big Skyline »

This would be a prime location for Omaha's tallest building with the third tallest being a hotel on the same sight :D :D :D :D :D :D
BUILD UP AND TALL!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Nice job Josh! That would be an awesome I-480 welcome to Omaha.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

When I unpack my stuff I'll throw my idea up.
DTO
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

the1wags wrote:People, can you imagine walking out of the Qwest after an event, hopping on the streetcar and then going through this mixed use area w/ shops and a big hotel anchor. Additionally, then down 11th past that parking lot (theater anchor anyone?), across my proposed 11th street GLM ped/streetcar bridge, dropping right into the heart of the Old Market.
Yes.
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

Google earth rules!

Rendering pt2.