Creighton Campus Development

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

All I asked a lonnnnnnnnng time ago was which states....  you seemed to have resurfaced it....... Wyoming has one university. South Dakota has one Board of Regents for all the colleges and universities (soon to have two Div 1 schools). I don't know what other states have.... those are the two states I have lived in besides NE.
We are the people our parents warned us about.

Jimmy Buffett
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Sorry...  wasn't attacking you or intentionally participating in a thread revival.  

-Big E
Stable genius.
mchine73
Home Owners Association

Post by mchine73 »

I would assume this would be open to the public.  I know currently you see quite a few Central students in the student center after school now.  That being said, I would expect it to be very "accessible" to anyone other than those making a specific trip to Creighton because the site is essentially surround for several blocks on each side by Creighton property.  As it is I think this is a great project and will make a statement, but really may turn into an inconvenience as I would suspect most students(those freshmen and sophomores who live in the dorms and upper classmen who live off campus) hardly make it east of 24th.[/quote]
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Creighton's president outlines an ambitious plan
Omaha World Herald wrote:Schlegel hopes to start new graduate programs in the health sciences, social sciences and nursing fields in 2007, he said.  He'd like to continue to increase enrollment by creating new graduate programs. Creighton's total enrollment is nearly 7,000 this year, an all-time high. Schlegel wants to replace the university's run-down freshman residence halls with a combination of new and renovated buildings during the next few years.
Finn
Parks & Recreation

Post by Finn »

but really may turn into an inconvenience as I would suspect most students(those freshmen and sophomores who live in the dorms and upper classmen who live off campus) hardly make it east of 24th
That will change soon!
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

Finn wrote:
but really may turn into an inconvenience as I would suspect most students(those freshmen and sophomores who live in the dorms and upper classmen who live off campus) hardly make it east of 24th
That will change soon!
Yeah because when the streetcars come online, they will be all over downtown! :yes:
Finn
Parks & Recreation

Post by Finn »

I would assume this would be open to the public.
I certainly hope not! It should not be open to the public.
mchine73
Home Owners Association

Post by mchine73 »

I really don't think it's inherently designed to be open to the public.  I look at it as a way of reconnecting to the alumni through having a more accessible bookstore for Creighton gear and the added conference space.  That being said, having it open to the public itself won't invite a lot of "off street" individuals inside.  One would still have to make a specific trek to find anything useful.

Just because the building is unlocked and the flow of people is large I wouldn't really care about non-affiliates using it.  Just like the Student Center and the Central kids, I could give a |expletive| if they come in watch the T.V.s, use the computers, or play the free pool.  I guess one could look at the immediate social benefit of having Creighton so close to Central, really it for someone in high school I think it would be pretty cool to be that close to a university.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Update Photos: Sunday 4-1-2007

Finn
Parks & Recreation

Post by Finn »

Just because the building is unlocked and the flow of people is large I wouldn't really care about non-affiliates using it.  Just like the Student Center and the Central kids, I could give a |expletive| if they come in watch the T.V.s, use the computers, or play the free pool.  I guess one could look at the immediate social benefit of having Creighton so close to Central, really it for someone in high school I think it would be pretty cool to be that close to a university.
It is not a good idea to have the space open to the public or used for high school students. My firm has run into instances where it has become problematic at various campuses around the country - where student use was minimized because of the influx of high school students. Students are going to give a s*hit when they can't find an open computer to work on a project because half of them are being used by high schoolers or parts of a union have turned into high school hang-outs - especially when student fees are being raised to cover expenses at these facilities.

I really like the new rendering of the Harper Center. The octagonal entrance will really make a statement for the campus!
psl25201
Home Owners Association

While I know it is going to happen,....

Post by psl25201 »

I thought that I should put it into the rumors section because it hasn't been announced yet.

Currently, Omaha is figuring out what they are going to be doing with the Civic.  Well, two main tenants of the Civic are Creighton women's volleyball and basketball.  Where are they going to play if they tear down the Civic?  Creighton isn't going to wait to find out.  

What: Creighton is going to be building a new facility.  It will hold approximately 5-7,000 people.  It will be used for athletic offices and meeting space as well.  It will also house locker rooms for the teams as well.  

Cost: 12 million

Why hasn't it started yet?: Still need $1 million

Is this part of the capital campaign?: No

Time-line: Construction to start by the end of 2007...wait, it will start by the end of 2007.

Where:  Below (North of Morrison Stadium)

How sure am I?: 100% - This is something that Bruce Rasmussen is not going to let slip through his hands.  It will get built.

p.s - A baseball stadium built by CU is still a ways off.  Probably 10 years or so.  Let's hope the city builds one by then.
Admin
Law Enforcement

Post by Admin »

Thanks for that info pls25201! Watching the campus expand is wonderful.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

What is being bulldozed?

-Big E
Stable genius.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I believe that those are the maintenance buildings.
psl25201
Home Owners Association

Post by psl25201 »

That's correct Coyote.  Those are facilities management buildings.  I am not sure where those services move to, but they will be knocked down to make way for the new building.

Schlegel told me one night that he (CU) wanted to own all of the property between Cuming and Cass and from the soccer stadium to the west end of the current campus.
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

I've mentioned this in the past.  I've heard talk of this for years, but nothing lately.  Good to hear its on track.  The facility will also hold locker rooms for the soccer stadium, since it was built without them.  It should look pretty cool, give the place a little "field house" look.  I'd be willing to bet the inside would be similar to that of the Knapp Center in Des Moines.

Next in line project wise will be a new baseball/softball stadium.  Last year, they replaced the turf in the infield and some patchwork on the softball stadium, but this will pretty much be the end of putting money into the Sports Complex.  They will not be finishing the turf in the outfield because it is too expensive.  They are looking into possibly painting or tinting the current outfield to match the infield.  Also, they are considering painting the Pavilion to match the new paint in the dugouts/press box.  As soon as this project gets underway they will start talking to donors to get the ballpark built.  Plans are already completed, its just a matter of dollars and cents.  I'd bet in 5 years the Jays will be playing in a new stadium, whether it be with the Royals (which they will not pay for, but would consider leasing) or their own, which is what they would prefer to do.
Finn
Parks & Recreation

Post by Finn »

This is part of the master plan that I posted a while back. It is just north of the soccer stadium. - Ignore the outlines, they are from an old post outlining other campus developments and I don't have time now to update!

Post by Guest »

Rasmussen explicitly said that this was not part of the master plan.  In fact, it has been moving forward a bit under the table because of the ongoing, larger campaign.  Most of whom they have gone after for money were people who already said no to the big campaign or people that had given and they thought could give more.  Maybe he didn't realize this was actually part of the plan, but he definitely said it was not.

Also, that part of the master plan is the baseball and softball complex.  It is possible that the buildings next door were where they wanted to place this new facility, but nothing is clearly expressed in anything I have read.

Finally, the master plan is in the process of being updated right now.  The new, updated version should be released this fall, perhaps October.
psl25201
Home Owners Association

Post by psl25201 »

Sorry, that was me above.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

Finn wrote:This is part of the master plan that I posted a while back. It is just north of the soccer stadium. - Ignore the outlines, they are from an old post outlining other campus developments and I don't have time now to update!

Here's a little image help, Finn ;)
Finn
Parks & Recreation

Post by Finn »

Thanks, Tuna.

You can see the complex on the Master Plan between the soccer stadium and the fields. Nothing was explicitly labeled on the plan, maybe that is what he was referring to (marketing ploy for more $).
OmahaChef
Parks & Recreation

Post by OmahaChef »

The Harper Center is really coming along!  The steel now includes the roof of the octagon entrance.  I can see the building from work, and can really see it from my apartment.  It is definitely taller than the new housing quads.
Always a business-oriented city hungry for growth and focused on development with laser intensity, Omaha aimed high, reached for momentum and found critical mass.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Creighton lined up to grow

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=2 ... id=2397228

OWH Image:
Creighton University is acquiring properties that will give the university control of nearly all the land needed for its eastward campus expansion plans.

The long-sought transaction with Modern Equipment Co. involves properties scattered along Cuming and Burt Streets between 16th and 21st Streets.

Creighton's acquisition includes a small piece, at 16th and Cuming Streets, of what could become the site of a new downtown baseball stadium.

Creighton also would pick up nearly an entire city block north of Cuming Street, from 20th to 21st Streets, outside the university's expansion area. That block could be redeveloped for retail, residential, service or some other use, which Creighton and city officials said would aid in north Omaha economic development.

Meanwhile, Modern Equipment, a century-old manufacturing firm also known as MECO, will move to 6161 Abbott Drive, in an industrial park near Eppley Airfield.

In exchange for Modern Equipment's current property, Creighton would acquire the Abbott Drive site and build a new plant for the manufacturer.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Anything of historical or architectural value begging for a bulldozer?

-Big E
Stable genius.
OmahaChef
Parks & Recreation

Post by OmahaChef »

:D   Good one, Big E!  Actually Modern Equipment is housed in a large collection of pretty bland one story buildings, some of a more recent metal architectural style.  Hmmm....are metal factory buildings of the 60's now considered vintage?  Others are basic one story 40's and 50's factory/warehouse structures.
Always a business-oriented city hungry for growth and focused on development with laser intensity, Omaha aimed high, reached for momentum and found critical mass.
Historic Omaha
Home Owners Association

Post by Historic Omaha »

Any structure 50 year of age or older (so...at/before 1957) can potentially be listed on the National Register of Historic Places (that is if those structures retain a high degree of architectural integrity, among other requirements).  Buildings less than 50 years of age may be listed based on significant architecture, related story or person(s).  Another requirement to list on the National Register is property owner consent.  Since Creighton owns and plans to demolish... I doubt they would want to list anything.  To clarify a possible misconception of listing a structure on the National Register... listing does not protect the building unless Federal funding is involved in the undertaking.  If a property is locally landmarked (through the Landmarks Heritage Preservation Commission) then it has a little more protection.

Just thought I would share  :D
Finn
Parks & Recreation

Post by Finn »

(that is if those structures retain a high degree of architectural integrity, among other requirements)
Did Big E see this? :;):
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Yes he did, and he's picking up on your sarcasm.

-Big E
Stable genius.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Photo Update:

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Photo Update, Things are looking Good:

Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I didn't realize how much this stands out along the interstate. And this is from my low riding Honda Civic.
I hope they put a lighted CU emblem on the side of this building:

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Nice, shooting update photos at 60mph.... Brad style!
blueblood
Home Owners Association

Post by blueblood »

I have read the board for a long time and finally registered. With my first post I bring information I think and have a question;

There is to be a ground breaking on Oct. 16th at 19th and Webster by Creighton for the Ryan Athletic Center and the DJ Sokol Arena. I am assuming this is the new arena complex for woman's basketball, woman's volleyball, and athletic dept. offices.

Does anyone have any details, pictures, or info on this? I would assume this is a huge project and could become the largest building on the Creighton campus. I think it would sit right across the street from the soccer stadium.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Welcome to the forum!  No I hve not seen anything on here about a new arena.  Its been talked about a lot but no details.
zaccos
New to the Neighborhood

Post by zaccos »

http://www2.creighton.edu/publicrelations/newscenter/

They are also looking to expand their Med school. . .

but the real question is how are they going to have the whole project by the end of 2008?
mchine73
Home Owners Association

Post by mchine73 »

It's in the Creightonian today. Basically north of the stadium. will house 2,500 seat gym for women's volleyball and basketball, offices, and locker rooms for the soccer stadium. so I would guess Creighton maybe hosting a few NCAA soccer games in the future.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Athletics Center Supports Creighton, Community

Creighton University aspires to educate and develop the “whole person,” physically, mentally and spiritually as a fundamental value of a Jesuit, Catholic education. Part of that equation is the recruitment, retention and education of high-quality student athletes and providing the best facilities for athletic practice and performance.

On Tuesday, Oct. 16, at 11 a.m., an important milestone will be reached when Creighton breaks ground for a new athletics center on campus at the northeast corner of Webster Street and Florence Boulevard. That vision was made a reality by the generous donations of Wayne and Eileen Ryan and family and Dave and Peggy Sokol.

The Ryan Athletics Center and D. J. Sokol Arena, a 46,000 square- foot- facility, will house a gymnasium seating 2,500-3,000, women’s basketball and volleyball coaches’ offices, locker rooms, ticket offices, athletic training and meeting rooms, media workrooms and much more. The arena is also expected to be used for other campus and community events including campus assemblies, coaching camps/clinics, concerts, speakers, and high school graduations.

“Board members Connie Ryan and Dave Sokol, and their families, are united in embracing the University’s master plan and accelerated our efforts to make this center and arena a reality. They felt the timing was right not only to make a difference at Creighton but to continue the renaissance of making the corridor from the riverfront to the Creighton University Medical Center an academic, athletic and entertainment district,” said the Rev. John P. Schlegel, S. J., President of Creighton University.

Wayne and Eileen Ryan and their family have been long-time supporters of Creighton University. Ryan, BS’49. MS’51, chairman and CEO of Streck Laboratories, Inc., began his career teaching at Creighton, before pursuing his passion for research that led to the founding of his company. He and his wife Eileen recently established the Fr. Henry W. Casper, S. J. Professorship in History to honor one of Ryan’s favorite Jesuit professors at Creighton. They are also Jaybackers and their daughter Connie serves on Creighton’s Board of Directors and is president of Streck Laboratories, Inc.

“Our family believes in Jesuit education and we are happy to lend our support as an endorsement of the vision and mission of Creighton University. We are impressed with the progressive academic and athletic plans of the University and know that this center will advance not only the campus community but the metro area as well, “said Ryan.

Dave and Peggy Sokol will be honoring their son D. J., who died following a battle with Hodgkin’s disease, by naming the gymnasium the D. J. Sokol Arena. Sokol serves as Chairman and CEO of MidAmerican Energy Holdings Company, a global leader in the production, supply and distribution of energy from diversified fuel sources and recently served on Creighton University’s Board of Directors. He and his wife Peggy are community leaders who devote time and resources to a host of charitable causes including Creighton University, the Salvation Army, the Boy Scouts of America and more.

“D. J. knew the true value of life and the importance of teamwork. Peggy and I couldn’t think of a better way to honor his life than providing the dollars to fund a sports arena for deserving teams. I have always said that you’ve got to make repayments to your community for the opportunities you’ve gotten from the community,” said Sokol.

According to Bruce Rasmussen, Creighton University’s director of Athletics, the planned facility has been included on the campus master plan for six years and will be fully funded by private monies.

“We have been searching to find a more suitable venue for women’s basketball and volleyball competitions for some time. Visionary donors like the Ryan's and Sokol's make our dreams of an even stronger athletics program, championed by intensely loyal fans, more of a reality. This Bluejay spirit is a unifying characteristic that enhances the institution’s visibility and reputation.” Rasmussen said.

Completion of construction is expected by the end of 2008.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Creighton bellying up to own bar

Billy Bluejay is breaking into the bar business.

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=2 ... d=10236977
Creighton University will open a restaurant and bar inside its new student center this summer, a "sports cafe" that school officials are billing as a unique meeting place for alumni, students and downtown workers.

The university has received approval for a liquor license from the Omaha City Council and will become the only college in Nebraska - and one of only a handful in the Midwest - to serve beer, wine and liquor daily on campus.

Once the Mike and Josie Harper Center opens in August, a Creighton senior stressed after a tough exam can exit his classroom inside the student center, descend two flights of stairs, enter the sports cafe and order a gin and tonic, without going outside.

So, how do students feel about the on-campus bar?

"They think it's a positive move," said Micah White, president of Creighton's Student Union and a junior who will turn 21 this summer.

University officials say they will force patrons of the new watering hole to be responsible drinkers.

No shots will be served. The bar will close at 10 p.m. weekdays and midnight on weekends. Drinkers must wear wrist bands. Underage students caught trying to drink there could be suspended from school.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

I think this is excellent.  In fact, I think it should be open regular bar hours.  Closing at 10 is only going to send people "out into the streets."

Having a bar on campus encourages safer drinking because you don't have to drive at all. I've experienced it first hand when I was studying at Laval University in Quebec.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

Time will tell
When told of Creighton's plans, alcohol experts and officials from schools that maintain on-campus bars agreed on one point: It won't be easy for Creighton to control drinking in the new sports cafe. It can be done, they said, but only if the bar is run correctly.

"The proof is in the pudding," said Nathan, the University of Iowa researcher. "Are they going to be able to keep kids under 21 from drinking? Are they going to be able to regulate this well enough for older students? I hope Creighton does a better job of that than most universities."