Shadow Lake Towne Center (72nd and 370)

West Omaha, Sarpy and Nebraska metro counties.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Shadow Lake on track for spring debut
Omaha World Herald wrote:Shadow Lake Towne Center, the 880,000-square-foot, open-air mall on 127 acres at the southwest corner of 72nd Street and Nebraska Highway 370, will begin opening stores in March.

Some tenants are ahead of schedule, said Brian Krouse, project manager for RED Development. J.C. Penney, Best Buy and PetSmart will be the first to open in March. Dress Barn and Famous Footwear will open in mid-April, and Gordmans plans its opening during the back-to-school season in August or September.

Red Robin Gourmet Burgers will be the first restaurant to open, followed by WheatFields, Old Chicago and Texas Roadhouse.

Most of the businesses, however, will open during Shadow Lake's grand opening celebration Memorial Day weekend, May 26 to 28.
Shadow Lake Towne Center tenants as of Friday:

ANCHORS
• Best Buy
• Gordmans
• Hy-Vee Supermarket
• J.C. Penney

RESTAURANTS
• Old Chicago
• Red Robin Gourmet Burgers
• Texas Roadhouse
• WheatFields

FASHION
• American Eagle Outfitters
• C.J. Banks
• Christopher & Banks
• Dress Barn
• Famous Footwear
• Jos A. Bank
• Justice
• Lane Bryant
• Maurices
• Old Navy
• Pacific Sunwear
• T.J. Maxx
• Claire's

SERVICES
• EyeMasters
• First National Bank of Omaha
• Hy-Vee Gas
• LensCrafters
• Portrait Innovations

SPECIALTY STORES
• Bed Bath & Beyond
• Borders
• GNC
• Hallmark
• Kay Jewelers
• Office Max
• PetSmart
• Sally Beauty Supply
• ULTA (beauty store and salon)
• World Market
• Yankee Candle
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Things are shaping up nicely for this center.  I hope that additional restaurants will announce their openings as well.  If this center is larger than Village Pointe it could use another 4 or 5 places to eat.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Some nice photos from the shadowlakeshopping.com site, taken about the same time as Brad's last update ...

Sarpy County sprawl in all it's glory...

Nice walkway, presumably connecting the 'lifestyle' component and big boxes (in this case JCP)

Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

JCPenney Welcomes Shoppers to New Store in Papillion, Neb.
Business Wire wrote:The official grand opening for the new Papillion JCPenney will take place on Friday, March 9, marked by a ribbon cutting ceremony at the store’s main entrance at 8:45 a.m. The store is among seven JCPenney stores celebrating a grand opening on the same day.

The new JCPenney store, covering 103,000 square feet, is designed in the Company’s latest format to make shopping even more convenient and enjoyable. In addition to JCPenney’s tremendous selection of fashionable apparel and home merchandise, customers will experience wide aisles and efficient customer service centers.

For added convenience, JCPenney at Shadow Lake Towne Center provides an assortment of services under one roof, including an all-occasion portrait studio; expert in-home custom decorating services; and a full-service salon offering an array of professional hair and beauty services, as well as products from leading salon brands. In addition, customers can place orders or pick up catalog and Internet purchases at the store’s Solutions desk.

Throughout grand opening week, customers can register to win great prizes, including a 2007 Cadillac CTS® automobile, a complete Chris Madden® Bedroom Makeover, and a digital lifestyle package featuring a 17-inch iMac® with writeable CD/DVD capabilities, Bose SoundDock® digital music system, 4 GB iPod®, Canon® digital camera and Canon® digital camcorder. In addition, 20 lucky shoppers will win $250 gift cards to be used toward any JCPenney purchase. Other activities include product demonstrations, special discounts for the entire family and a free gift for the first 750 Sephora customers.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

There is a Billboard up new tonight driving home on I80 ( W bound) for Best Buy.  IT says something to the effect that the Grand Opening of the Papillon store was March 24th I believe.  I may be wrong by a few days but at the speeds the traffic was going I didn't notice it until I was right on it.
jsheets
Human Relations

Post by jsheets »

Somebody sent me this today, though I don't know how credible it is.  It says that the B-52s are playing the grand opening of SLTC on 5/26:
http://www.jambase.com/search.asp?venueID=63486
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Holy |expletive|. The B-52's? Can someone confirm this? I will clear my calendar for this.
djc311
Parks & Recreation

Post by djc311 »

Coyote wrote:Holy |expletive|. The B-52's? Can someone confirm this? I will clear my calendar for this.
Aren't they dead?
jsheets
Human Relations

Post by jsheets »

A couple of updates...

A source has confirmed with me that the B-52s are playing the opening.  Apparently this has been known by them for a while now.

And, according to the Papillion Times, the first store opened yesterday!
http://www.papilliontimes.com/site/tab6 ... 8801&rfi=6
The first Shadow Lake Towne Center retailer open its doors to the public Tuesday afternoon.

The 30,000-square-foot Papillion Bed Bath & Beyond store, located near the rear of the mall site at 72nd Street and Highway 370, is the fifth for the retailer in Nebraska.
Bellevue Kid
Home Owners Association

Post by Bellevue Kid »

I got a card in the mail from JCPenny saying they are opening their doors for a sneak peak on Sunday, March 4th, from 10AM-8PM. Included in the card was a 10 dollar off card if you bought something a minimum of 10 dollars.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

nebugeater wrote:There is a Billboard up new tonight driving home on I80 ( W bound) for Best Buy.  IT says something to the effect that the Grand Opening of the Papillon store was March 24th I believe.  I may be wrong by a few days but at the speeds the traffic was going I didn't notice it until I was right on it.
Correction:  the billboard says March 23
jsheets
Human Relations

Post by jsheets »

The OWH has a short bit about JCPenney's opening on Sunday:
http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_pg=46&u_sid=2340820
When J.C. Penney at Shadow Lake Towne Center opens Sunday, not only will it offer a wider selection of brands and a more customer-convenient layout, it will be the prototype for the chain's two Omaha stores, said Vicki Dillon, district manager for J.C. Penney.

The 103,000square-foot department store is one of the first businesses to open at Shadow Lake Towne Center. The 880,000-square-foot, open-air mall sits on 127 acres off Nebraska Highway 370 near 72nd Street.

Bed, Bath & Beyond opened Tuesday. Best Buy and PetSmart are scheduled to open later this month, said Brian Krouse, project manager for the mall's developer, RED Development.

Dress Barn and Famous Footwear will open in mid-April, and Gordmans plans to schedule its opening to coincide with the back-to-school season in August or September.
Automated price checkers, shopping carts and bright colors to distinguish sizes in the children's departments also are new. Returns will be handled at the customer-service area near the rear of the store. Checkout lanes are grouped at the front.
Renovations at the Omaha stores are to begin next week, Dell'Anno said.
March 9 is the official grand-opening celebration at the store, with a ribbon cutting at 8:45 a.m. Former Husker quarterback Zac Taylor will sign autographs, store employees will give away coupons, and customers can enter a drawing to win a 2007 Cadillac, among other prizes.
skaught
New to the Neighborhood

New Rendering

Post by skaught »

New rendering on the Shadow Lake website.  The image is huge so I'll just post the link.

http://shadowlakeshopping.com/photo_vie ... dering.JPG
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

I drove by here the other day and was impressed by how much larger the 'town square' portion of this development looked than I thought it would.  A very nice retail center for Sarpy.

jsheets
Human Relations

Post by jsheets »

More stores added:

Ann Taylor Loft, Coldwater Creek, Chico's, Top Q Nails, Tropical Smoothie Cafe, and
Sweet & Sassy
Children's salon, retail store and party place offering spa services

Also, they have more details about the Grand Opening, May 26-28
http://www.shadowlakeshopping.com/calendar.asp

And I'm still hearing that B-52s are playing it....
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Photo Update:

Old Chicago:

How about this, a parking lot turned temporary nursery:

I like the bridges used in the residential neighborhoods:

New Starbucks NE of SLTC:
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

While I'm sure it's not the case, that dome sure looks Cheesecake Factory-ish...

No need to panic, just noting.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

They definitely raised the retail architectural bar set by Village Pointe another notch (at least from what we're used to in Omaha)... Shadow Lake Towne Center looks great, although...

(cue Sesame Street music) "One of these things is not like the others, one of these things does not belong..."

nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

1.  One of the managers at Best Buy at SLTC told me Thursday that negotiations are under way with the Cheesecake Factory to open at the center.  I have no idea if he knows what he is talking about, or if "negotiations" will get anywhere.  I find it doubtful that the Cheesecake Factory would build two locations in metro Omaha.  Still, I know that tossing red meat to some of you will cause you to feed on the rumor.

2.  I like the fact that some of the buildings in the mall will be multi story.  That is what is missing at Village Pointe.

3.  This center is a hybrid of sorts, a bit of Village Pointe, and a  bit of a traditional outdoor mall.  Part of it will resemble a town square of yesteryear (not my yesteryear, but somebody's) and part will resemble Montclair or the out buildings around Oak View Mall.  But all of the architectural standards are high by comparison to anything else in the metro.  Anything else.  Papillion has tough quality standards, and you can see the results here, as well as at the Market Place mall at 72nd and Giles.

4.  Another Starbucks is called for in the mall itself, according to the architectural plans shared with my office by the city of Papillion.  I don't know whether that has now changed with the Starbucks being built across the street at 72nd and 370 (not to be confused with the brand new Starbucks at 38th and 370 or the new one being built at 72nd and Giles).

5.  I work in Papillion, and members of my office are thrilled that Hy-Vee is building their first Sarpy County store in Papillion.  I understand it will have all the bells and whistles that any other Hy-Vee in the chain has, if not more.

6.  In the interest of full disclosure, several years ago I pooh poohed the original plans for an enclosed mall at this location, stating that the timing was premature for such a big mall in Papillion.  Well, plans changed from an enclosed "Westroads" type mall to the one you see now, and with the passing of several years, several thousand more people live in the area, and thousands more will by 2010.  I think the developers know they are building early, relative to the population numbers, but see the area as primed for further residential growth, and got in early to scare any other large commercial developments off.  Time will tell whether the crowds will come in sufficient numbers for the long term to make the mall a success.  I doubt many will come from Omaha, unless the mall attracts stores not found in Douglas County.  My guess is the target audience is Sarpy and Cass County residents, which total about 165,000 now.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

I heard alot of bogus rumors come from managers at Village Pointe early on as well (not just relating to CF).  I would be very surprised to see a Cheesecake Factory at SLTC.  I've come to the conclusion most of these store managers don't know as much as the people on this forum do.

And are you sure we're not talking about a Starbucks in the Hy Vee? :D

They're in several metro area Hy Vee stores already.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

nativeomahan wrote:1.  One of the managers at Best Buy at SLTC told me Thursday that negotiations are under way with the Cheesecake Factory to open at the center.  I have no idea if he knows what he is talking about, or if "negotiations" will get anywhere.  I find it doubtful that the Cheesecake Factory would build two locations in metro Omaha.  Still, I know that tossing red meat to some of you will cause you to feed on the rumor .
I wont say it's impossible..But a Cheesecake factory at SLTC is unlikely..HIGHLY unlikely..

The bone to feed on is dry here. No juice..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
papiostud
Home Owners Association

Post by papiostud »

I heard there was a Seattle's Best Coffee going in there...the first in Nebraska.  Starbucks is NOT going into the Towne Center area.   How many more anchors have yet to be announced?
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

The latest new tenants (I haven't scrolled back to see if we already knew this): Coldwater Creek, Ann Taylor Loft, Chico’s, Sweet & Sassy, Top Q Nails and Tropical Smoothie Café.

JCPenney, Best Buy, Bed Bath & Beyond, dressbarn and PETsMART are already open at the center. While some stores, like Hy-Vee, Famous Footwear and TJ Maxx, plan to open during April, the majority of the retailers will open during the official grand opening celebration scheduled for Memorial Day weekend, May 26-28, 2007.

The new retailers and restaurants join previously announced tenants Borders, World Market, Gordmans, Office Max, Old Navy, Pac Sun, maurices, Jos A. Bank, JCPenney, Old Chicago, Christopher & Banks, C.J. Banks, Justice, LensCrafters, Famous Claire’s, Hy-Vee, Best Buy, Texas Roadhouse, Bed Bath & Beyond, American Eagle Outfitters, T.J. Maxx, Lane Bryant, Victoria’s Secret, dressbarn, Wheatfields, Bath Works, Sally Beauty, EyeMasters, Hy-Vee Gas, Hallmark, Yankee Candle and PETsMART, Red Robin Gourmet Burgers and First National Bank of Omaha.
jsheets
Human Relations

Post by jsheets »

papiostud wrote:I heard there was a Seattle's Best Coffee going in there...the first in Nebraska.  Starbucks is NOT going into the Towne Center area.   How many more anchors have yet to be announced?
Seattle's Best is going into Border's.  I think Scooter's should open a store in the mall, ala VP, and Starbuck's could still make it into Hy-Vee.  At 36th & 370 there's a stand along starbucks and a starbucks inside of Bakers....
Bellevue Kid
Home Owners Association

Post by Bellevue Kid »

My friend who works in construction said that he saw the plans for a Dick's Sporting Goods. He said it will be located by an entrance, so I think the only place big enough is by the 72nd street entrance. I did some more research and went to their website and it says they are hiring store managers for their Papillion location.
Here is the link http://dsg.hodesiq.com/stores/joblist.asp
skaught
New to the Neighborhood

Post by skaught »

Bellevue Kid wrote:My friend who works in construction said that he saw the plans for a Dick's Sporting Goods. He said it will be located by an entrance, so I think the only place big enough is by the 72nd street entrance. I did some more research and went to their website and it says they are hiring store managers for their Papillion location.
This is great news.  A major sporting goods store was one glaring omission from this development IMO.  Hopefully they do this up right with a 2 story building, a climbing wall, etc.
jsheets
Human Relations

Post by jsheets »

Bellevue Kid wrote:My friend who works in construction said that he saw the plans for a Dick's Sporting Goods. He said it will be located by an entrance, so I think the only place big enough is by the 72nd street entrance. I did some more research and went to their website and it says they are hiring store managers for their Papillion location.
Awesome!  Thanks for the info!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Hy-Vee's latest store caters to a lot of different tastes

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=1 ... id=2366276
If you're the sort who likes to linger at the grocery store, the Hy-Vee Supermarket opening Tuesday in Papillion can accommodate you.

Upstairs, there's a light-filled room with 48 seats and a stainless-steel kitchen for cooking demonstrations, wine tastings, health talks and community meetings (including scrapbooking and Rotary clubs).

If you're in a hurry and need a baby shower gift, a throat culture, a prescription and some hot soup for supper, this Hy-Vee also has you covered.

There's an Alegent Health Quick Care clinic, a drive-through pharmacy and an entire baby department (with diapers, food, clothes, strollers and a gift registry). There's also a hot and cold deli, soup bar, salad bar and Italian and Chinese express food stations filled with grab-'n'-go options.

And if you're a foodie in search of a particular wine, beer, chocolate, cheese or organic vegetable for a special meal, you can probably find it at Hy-Vee's newest supermarket - its first in Papillion and Sarpy County.

At nearly 88,000 square feet, the store at Highway 370 and South 72nd Street, in the newly emerging Shadow Lake Towne Center, is the second-largest of Hy-Vee's 224 stores. It stocks 447 varieties of beer in its attached wine and spirits store and even has an 1,100-pound wheel of Wisconsin Cheddar cheese.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Hy-Vee is the 800 pound gorilla in the local grocery market.  If they are investing that much money in their Papillion store you know they have done their research and expect it to be a big money maker for them.  My Papillion friends can't wait for the store to open.  Too bad the city or county or whomever decided that now was the perfect time to tear up 72nd street at highway 370!  It looks like it will be torn up for weeks if not months.  Does anyone "plan" road projects?  It seems as if they pick the worst possible time to tear roads up.  Now 72nd street is down to a total of 2 lanes.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Dick's Sporting Goods is made official in today's OWH.  They will be at the corner of 75th Street and Schram Road  It will be about a  50,000 Sq Ft Store with a golf simulator and an archery range

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=1 ... id=2369804

Dick's Sporting Goods is coming to the Shadow Lake Towne Center in Papillion.

A building permit application filed with the City of Papillion shows the sports superstore - including a pro shop, a golf simulator and an archery range - at the corner of 75th Street and Schram Road in the Shadow Lake development.                 .........................................................
skaught
New to the Neighborhood

Post by skaught »

50,000 sq feet...I'm too stupid to visualize how big that would be.  Anyone know how this would compare the the Oakview store?

Also, they have a TON of work to do in a little over a month if they want to have the grand opening take place in the lifestyle center section of the mall.  You have to figure that the brutal weather since the first of the year slowed things down a bit.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

My guess is that the DICKS at Oakview is larger than this but it is only a guess.  As comparison to Sheels -  at Village Point they are about 175,000 Sq Ft on two levels and the Sheels in Lincoln is @ 80,000 Sq Ft.
jsheets
Human Relations

Post by jsheets »

Official announcement of the B-52's from Papillion Times:
http://www.papilliontimes.com/site/tab6 ... 8801&rfi=6
The B-52s will take center stage in a free concert sponsored by First National Bank at 7 p.m., May 26 as part of the mall's three-day grand opening festivities.
And the shadow lake website also has this on the front page:
http://www.shadowlakeshopping.com/
mom04
New to the Neighborhood

Post by mom04 »

this doesn't have anything to do so much with in the actual Shadow Lake Towne Center, but rather caddy corner across the street.  I was  driving my daughter to the Sarpy "Y" on 72nd and noticed a shop out of the corner of my eye called "Bigwheels to Butterflies" or something like that.  Does anyone know what this is?  thanks!
:)
jsheets
Human Relations

Post by jsheets »

A couple of updates:
Red Robin opens May 14th.  [I wonder what took so long, since the outside has looked done since before Best Buy's exterior]
http://www.pr-inside.com/red-robin-gour ... 106302.htm
Red Robin Gourmet Burgers, Inc., (Red Robin), will open its fourth Nebraska restaurant in Papillion on Monday, May 14, at 11 a.m.
Local Artist Michael Godek is finishing up a major piece of artwork for SLTC:
http://www.bellevueleader.com/site/tab5 ... 6329&rfi=6
About two months ago, RED Development, LLC, the brains behind Shadow Lake Towne Center, chose sculptor Michael Godek's stylized treatment of Shadow Lake's logo over 40 other designs submitted by artists from across the country.  Since then, Godek has been hunkered down in his studio at Hot Shops in Omaha mega-sizing his 12-inch-plus mock-up into a 25-foot tall stainless steel sculpture that, when assembled, will weigh 5,000 pounds.
jsheets
Human Relations

Post by jsheets »

mom04 wrote:this doesn't have anything to do so much with in the actual Shadow Lake Towne Center, but rather caddy corner across the street.  I was  driving my daughter to the Sarpy "Y" on 72nd and noticed a shop out of the corner of my eye called "Bigwheels to Butterflies" or something like that.  Does anyone know what this is?  thanks!
:)
A person in the Great Clips next door told me it is a children's clothing store.  From a peek inside, it looks like it will be a few weeks before it opens (but that's just a total guess).
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

I haven't been keeping up on my "suburban development" lately, so here are a few of my observations on SLTC.

I'll preface by saying I think this is a GREAT development for Papillion, Sarpy County, and the Omaha Metro.

First, the "architecture" reminds me of a theme park.  For some reason it's less annoying at Village Pointe, but you reach a certain point where the fake architectural detailing becomes almost comical, because it's so obvious that it's a modern building made to look like something historical, and it's not fooling anybody.

Also, and I know this is just semantics/nomenclature, but what's with this trend of putting the "old English 'e'" on the end of words in the names of new suburban shopping centers???  Seriously.  "Village Pointe" and now "Shadow Lake Towne Center."  And for that matter, why spell "town" the old English way and not "center?" Oh suburbia trying to be things which it is not. ;)
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Of course if this architecture were in North Downtown or Aksarben Village it would be hailed by our creative class as another great achievement towards Omaha's urban renaissance.
flyOMA
Home Owners Association

Post by flyOMA »

Stargazer wrote:Of course if this architecture were in North Downtown or Aksarben Village it would be hailed by our creative class as another great achievement towards Omaha's urban renaissance.
:yes:

I think we can all agree that projects like these always help the metro as a whole.  Frankly, this whole urban vs. suburban debate is a bit worn at the heels, IMO.  I am just thankful that Omaha and it's suburbs have finally stepped up and are enforcing some sensible building standards.  Can you imagine what a project like this would have looked like 10 years ago?  I cringe just thinking about it.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

thank you!