The Marketplace: S. 24th St and I-80

Including Iowa metro counties.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

icejammer
County Board

The Marketplace: S. 24th St and I-80

Post by icejammer »

Looks like retail in the Bluffs is about to get even more exciting, this location had been rumored for some time and with the new Metro Crossing coming into being, some thought this wouldn't happen for a few years, but this looks to be (maybe) the real deal.  New developer to the Bluffs, but not the metro:

Bluffs' newest shopping development: The Marketplace
A March 2008 opening is anticipated for The Marketplace Council Bluffs, a 400,000-square-foot retail shopping center on the southeast corner of the South 24th Street-Interstate 80 interchange.

Joe Kutilek, a partner with John Hughes in Omaha-based Magnum Development Corp., confirmed that plans have been submitted to the Council Bluffs Community Development Department.
Mayor Tom Hanafan said he heard a proposal for The Marketplace a few months ago and wasn't certain that it would happen.

"We're seeing a lot of different developments we didn't see before," he said. "That's nice to see."
Magnum Development buys existing properties and upgrades them and often brings in new tenants, Kutilek said. The company is involved in a 60-acre project with a Super Target at 120th and L Street in Omaha where dirt is expected to begin moving this fall. Magnum is partnering with Cormac, an Omaha-based commercial developer, on that project.

The development of the former Ak-Sar-Ben Racetrack property is another Magnum project, and Kutilek said the firm does much of its work outside the metro area.
Last edited by icejammer on Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

--William Jennings Bryan
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

From the W-H:

'The development, called the Marketplace, would have one anchor store and medium-size stores nearby. There would be smaller sites for restaurants, banks and other businesses, said Joe Kutilek, a partner with Magnum.

Kutilek said the company has eyed the site for some time and is working to line up tenants. He declined to say what stores were being pursued.

"We knew there was a void," Kutilek said, "and this tract always looked attractive to us."'..

The complete W-H story link:

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_pg=46&u_sid=2246545

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

The developer already had a semi-trailer with a banner announcing the coming of The Marketplace affixed to the side, adjacent to the interstate late last week. That has now been replaced with a small billboard (and conforms to city code, unlike the semi-trailer, ooops!) along the interstate, so the developer must be feeling pretty confident this passes all the City Planning and City Council hurdles.
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

--William Jennings Bryan
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Site grading began this week (or was it last week?  Time flies....), so should see 2 major developments sprouting along the interstate soon!

--William Jennings Bryan
Ingersoll1978
Library Board

Post by Ingersoll1978 »

On loopnet...it's saying 94% of the center is leased.
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

I believe that is correct...

--William Jennings Bryan
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Commission OKs new shops
The city's Planning Commission gave its unanimous nod to the preliminary plans for The Marketplace - Council Bluffs, proposed along South 24th Street, south of Interstate 80 and covering 49 acres.
One of the center's main entrances would align with the road that travels west to the Western Historic Trails Center on the other side of 24th Street. Six smaller stores, most of them eating establishments, would be at the front of the center, with other shops around a courtyard directly to the east.

The parking area would separate those stores from the larger retail establishments on the east side of the center, anchored by a 103,000-square-foot nationally known upscale department store.
An announcement on the name of that retailer should come within 30 days or so, Kutilek said.

There will be up to 14 smaller stores to the east of the anchor store, mostly famous-name retailers; and each store unique in architectural design.

The company should have the final plans for the center in February, with work to begin in the spring, Hughes said. The anchor store should be ready for shoppers in March 2008, with the other stores open for business in the following months.

--William Jennings Bryan
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

I'm kind of excited to hear who this upscale retailer is going to be.

With more classy developments moving into the area hopefully some of the neighboring truck stops will shape up or sell to developers.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Do people consider Kohl's an upscale department store?  I suspect that is what it will be.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
formeromahan
New to the Neighborhood

Post by formeromahan »

Wow, this will be interesting to hear. I'm guessing Lowe's as the tenant. Kohl's average store size is 88,000, and I think going into Council Bluffs would want to go with a little smaller then average store. So I doubt its them. I wonder if this will spark an official announcement for some of the retailers who are going into Metro Crossing? Things are looking good for Council Bluffs Retail, between these two developments. I wonder what effect it will have on the mall?
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Well it does say 'upscale department store'... so I'd assume that would rule out a home improvement store.  I just don't see anything more 'upscale' than a Kohl's going in a location like this.  Hopefully, I'm wrong... but whatever it is, it'll be some retail in a part of CB which is under served.
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

It could be Kohl's, but right now the money is on Kohl's going in at Metro Crossing, rather than The Marketplace.

As to who else it could be....I've been racking my brain trying to think of what store would fit the bill as upscale department store.  Of course, in the story, the developer did compare the size of the new store to the Target store at MOB, so I'm not expecting anything too upscale.....

--William Jennings Bryan
formeromahan
New to the Neighborhood

Post by formeromahan »

Scheels, Famous Barr, Younkers? What other 110,000 sq. ft. retailers are out there? Might be suprising like JC Penny doing the free standing store at Shadow Lake.
Ingersoll1978
Library Board

Post by Ingersoll1978 »

I would place my bet on JCPenney (although far from "upscale").  The location at Mall of the Bluffs is tiny and they've talked about expansion before.  [/left]
xxtyderxx
New to the Neighborhood

Post by xxtyderxx »

Right when I read upscale and big, I thought of Macy's.. but i'm not sure if the first Macy's in the metro would go to council bluffs...
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Still no "official" word on stores, but it likely won't be long before we hear a couple names announced...

Business growth is on city council's agenda
Magnum Development Co. of Omaha has requested the council approve its preliminary plan for The Marketplace - Council Bluffs, proposed along South 24th Street, south of Interstate 80 and covering 49 acres. The shopping center is planned on the east side of the newly widened South 24th Street and will stretch all the way south to 34th Avenue, though land along that avenue would remain open for future development.

One of the center's main entrances would align with the road that travels west to the Western Historic Trails Center on the other side of South 24th Street. Six smaller stores, most of them eating establishments, would be in the front of the center, with other shops around a courtyard directly to the east.

The parking area would separate those stores from the larger retail establishments on the east side of the center, anchored by a 103,000-square-foot nationally known upscale department store. There would be more than a dozen smaller stores to the east of the anchor store, mostly famous-name retailers, with each store unique in architectural design.

--William Jennings Bryan
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Looks like a pretty good possibility, if you ask me....

Rumors of move dog JC Penney
The rumors are nearly unavoidable and have been around for weeks...

Is JC Penney, an original tenant, moving from Mall of the Bluffs to the new Marketplace - Council Bluffs?

JC Penney Mall of the Bluffs store manager Miller Derr would neither confirm nor deny the rumor and referred questions to JC Penney's corporate offices...

--William Jennings Bryan
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Council to discuss final plans for The Marketplace
There's room for more retail in Council Bluffs, an area developer said, and that room should start to fill in the near future.

The City Council Monday night will hold a public hearing on the final plans for a commercial subdivision to be known as The Marketplace. . .

The size of the shopping and dining area will cover 353,000 square feet, with the vast majority of that devoted to retail stores. Approximately 21,200 square feet will be used for restaurants and 4,800 square feet will be set aside for fast food/coffee shops. . .

With council approval on Monday, it's hoped that construction could start this summer, he said.

--William Jennings Bryan
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Big name in 'store' for Bluffs
The announcement of who will occupy the anchor location at the new Marketplace Shopping Center could come as early as May 1, a spokeswoman for the developer said Monday.

Meanwhile, the Council Bluffs City Council approved the final plans for the new shopping area to be located along South 24th Street just south of Interstate 29/80. . .

Approximately 21,200 square feet will be used for restaurants and 4,800 square feet will be set aside for fast food/coffee shops.

The size of the anchor store is to be 104,175 square feet, Ash said. Adjacent to the anchor will be five women's clothing stores new to Council Bluffs. There will also be a craft store, a pet supply store, a home specialty shop and a bookseller, all of whom are nationally known, Ash said.

It's hoped the anchor store can begin construction by June 1, she said. . .

--William Jennings Bryan
Ben
Human Relations

Post by Ben »

besides big name, wow, that's a BIG store at 104k sq/ft!!!!   That's got to be up there with the largest stores in the metro (trailing behind only Scheels, Bass Pro and Cabela's if memory serves me correctly).
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Ben wrote:besides big name, wow, that's a BIG store at 104k sq/ft!!!!   That's got to be up there with the largest stores in the metro (trailing behind only Scheels, Bass Pro and Cabela's if memory serves me correctly).
]

I think about ever Walmart super-center, Super Target, NFM, Sams Club, Kohl's , Sears, and a variety of others will meet or beat this Sq Ft.
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

The standard Kohl's store is right at 89,000ft2.
skibum21
New to the Neighborhood

Post by skibum21 »

It is a JC Penney's.  I had thought it was already formally announced!  Guess not?  Kohl's is going it at Metro Crossing.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

JC Penny's move from Mall of the Bluffs was already known... not officially announced?  ... perhaps Macy's will be joining JCP.  ;)

Here's the JCP thread: http://eomahaforums.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=5879

And it would be nice if Josh's signature graphic was, oh let's say, 640 bytes or less in length. :)
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

It seems to fit on my screen just fine. :;): I'll resize it later, my image hosting site is doing some maintenance right now.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Well I suppose it'll fit my 1600x1200 screen fine too... but some of us actually have some other work to do while we're web browsing. :)
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Ben wrote:besides big name, wow, that's a BIG store at 104k sq/ft!!!!   That's got to be up there with the largest stores in the metro. . .
I think most of the anchors at the main malls in town have 100k+ sq ft as well.

--William Jennings Bryan
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

With Marketplace and Metro Crossing about to happen does anyone have a feel if the empty store front by the MAC will ever fill up?  I stopped by Bass Pro today around noon and other than BO and Famous Dave's there is NOTHING over there.  I knew there is a lot of vacant store fronts there but I took a bit of time to look around ind it is worse than I even thought.  The FD was not even that busy for the time of day.  On any weekday noon the one in Bellview of any in Omaha are rather busy when I am around them.  Are they busy on an y night that there is not something at the MAC?
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Certainly they are busier when there are large events at the MAC, but when I've been there for lunch they've always had a pretty good crowd.  I imagine some days are slower than others, to be sure.
The remaining stalls in the 2 buildings are certainly wanting for business, and that's as much to do with how long it's taking to develop the area as the rent they are asking.

--William Jennings Bryan
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

This area (north side at least) needs a quicker exist off the interstate... are there any changes in the works with the IDOT work which is forthcoming?
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Yes, I should have mentioned that.  There are 2 alternatives for exits on the west side of the MAC - one is to retain the existing location (preferred by Ameristar) and make it more of a full interchange, the other is to extend 23rd Ave (the E-W street between the MAC and Star Cinema, if you need reference) to the west and have the interchange there (which is the preferred by Horseshoe, Bass Pro Shops, and everyone else on 23rd, with the possible exception of Doll Distributing, which may have to relocate under that scenario).  Although the 2nd alternative makes a lot more sense for a lot of reasons, I think investors are waiting to see which alternative is selected (as, obviously, Ameristar can swing a lot of clout to get their way) before backing some envisioned projects in the area.

--William Jennings Bryan
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

New JC Penney to open in 2008
Ground will be broken July 10 for a large JC Penney Store at The Marketplace - Council Bluffs, a developer said Monday night. . .

"Penney's is due to open March 2, 2008," Ash said.

An 80,000-square-foot general merchandise retailer has just signed up for the center, she added, with an announcement on who that is in a month or so.

There will also be four nationally known women's clothing stores that will open in the early stages of the development, Ash said. Six smaller stores, most of them eating establishments, would be at the front of the center, with other shops around a courtyard directly to the east.

The City Council Monday night approved a development agreement with Magnum Realty for the center that would total 389,700 square feet with an estimated value of $29 million. To assist with the cost of site preparation, installation of infrastructure and to provide direct assistance to the economic development project, the company requested the use of tax increment financing. . .

--William Jennings Bryan
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Just an update on construction, the new JC Penney store started vertical construction on Friday, so expect to see 4 walls up in a couple weeks.  There will be a lot have to happen in the next 5-plus months to make that March 2 opening date!

--William Jennings Bryan
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I seen yesterday, the shell of the HyVee is currently going up.
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Hy-Vee???  Whaaaaaaaaa????

--William Jennings Bryan
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

It looked like a hy-vee?  Just south of Horeshoe on 24?  The building looked like it had the traditional hy-vee front.  I could be totally wrong?
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Pretty sure that's JCP's new store.  East side of 24th, right?

--William Jennings Bryan
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

icejammer wrote:Pretty sure that's JCP's new store.  East side of 24th, right?
yes.
formeromahan
New to the Neighborhood

Post by formeromahan »

Anyone heard any additional tenants for this yet? I'm surprised we haven't heard anything yet, with Metro Crossing getting ready to announce.
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Nothing for sure, Magnum seems to be a little more tight-lipped than Anderson has been with Metro Crossing.

Here's a recent pic from the Nonpareil:

--William Jennings Bryan