NRD dam-building plan

Discussion of current events, news, the latest happenings in Omaha

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Thats what I said in the other post. A few People are trying to screw a huge city.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Will boats be allowed on the lake?
redfield
Library Board

Post by redfield »

The big one is supposed to be about the size of Branched Oak down by Lincoln. I can't immagine a lake that big without boats. I'm sure I read somewhere that some of the lakes would allow boats and others would be more restricted.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Businesses have come and gone, the railroad depot has left, and the town has lost its social gathering places, most recently its post office. Only a farm store, an antiques store and a few home-based businesses remain.

Residents have struggled to keep a sense of community, especially after the town's school closed in 1999.
It seems like this would be a great time for the village of Washington to come up with a master plan and "re-build" their city and embrace the lake. Maybe a few places to eat, some shope and a boat shop all on the new lake. If they act now, they could have all of this done by the day the lake opens. As far as money, the NRD is going to have to pay them for everything they are going to lose, so take that money and team up with a developer and there you go.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Good because if I can boat there I’m going to tear a$$ where these protestors used to live.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

OWH wrote: Group's bid to halt dam is too late, judge rules

A judge on Tuesday denied a temporary restraining order sought by a group of landowners fighting to stop a dam from being built on the western edge of Omaha.

Douglas County District Judge Richard Spethman ruled that several Washington County landowners and a Douglas County landowner were too late in seeking the restraining order. They did not file within the required 30 days after a development agreement was finalized last fall. That filing period is specified in Nebraska statutes.

The landowners contend that the Papio-Missouri Natural Resources District should not be allowed to form a partnership with a private firm to build a dam near 192nd Street and West Dodge Road. The dam would form a 58-acre lake as part of a signature park for the city. The agencies finalized their agreements Nov. 18.

NRD General Manager Steve Oltmans said he was pleased with the ruling.

The NRD has plans to create additional dams and lakes, including two large lakes in Washington County. The landowners' attorney, LeRoy Sievers, has said a ruling against the NRD would set a precedent that could help landowners fight other dams in the future.

Sievers could not be reached Wednesday for comment.

The landowners contend, among other things, that the NRD illegally contracted with Dial Realty Development Corp. of Omaha. The NRD has said it has entered into partnerships with private entities in the past.

The landowners sought a restraining order to stop planning and development while the issues raised in the lawsuit were argued in court. The NRD said stopping all progress would put land purchases in jeopardy.

The west Omaha project would cost an estimated $6.1 million for the NRD to obtain land and build the dam. Dial would contribute $1.4 million to help offset the land cost. The firm would then develop much of the land overlooking the north side of the lake.

The lawsuit was filed in Washington County District Court but was transferred to Douglas County District Court.
zippy
Home Owners Association

Post by zippy »

Group's bid to halt dam is too late, judge rules

A judge on Tuesday denied a temporary restraining order sought by a group of landowners fighting to stop a dam from being built on the western edge of Omaha.

Douglas County District Judge Richard Spethman ruled that several Washington County landowners and a Douglas County landowner were too late in seeking the restraining order. They did not file within the required 30 days after a development agreement was finalized last fall. That filing period is specified in Nebraska statutes.

The landowners contend that the Papio-Missouri Natural Resources District should not be allowed to form a partnership with a private firm to build a dam near 192nd Street and West Dodge Road. The dam would form a 58-acre lake as part of a signature park for the city. The agencies finalized their agreements Nov. 18.

NRD General Manager Steve Oltmans said he was pleased with the ruling.

The NRD has plans to create additional dams and lakes, including two large lakes in Washington County. The landowners' attorney, LeRoy Sievers, has said a ruling against the NRD would set a precedent that could help landowners fight other dams in the future.

Sievers could not be reached Wednesday for comment.

The landowners contend, among other things, that the NRD illegally contracted with Dial Realty Development Corp. of Omaha. The NRD has said it has entered into partnerships with private entities in the past.

The landowners sought a restraining order to stop planning and development while the issues raised in the lawsuit were argued in court. The NRD said stopping all progress would put land purchases in jeopardy.

The west Omaha project would cost an estimated $6.1 million for the NRD to obtain land and build the dam. Dial would contribute $1.4 million to help offset the land cost. The firm would then develop much of the land overlooking the north side of the lake.

The lawsuit was filed in Washington County District Court but was transferred to Douglas County District Court.
Jon
Home Owners Association

Post by Jon »

This is a different lake than the one by Washington.

For the article posted by zippy, I don't blame them. If I recall, one of the board members (who I won't name) used to be associated with Dial. He's not now, but Dial comes up with the development contract? I'm not comfortable with the public funds for private develpment concept at all. And I don't feel there's NEARLY enough benefit in flood control to warrant the lake on it's own. Factor out public recreation, and the lakes aren't worth the public funds being spent. Yes, the public is thrown a bone in the way of the silt pond of these lakes, but the silt pond doesn't have NEARLY the recreational potential or lifespan of the main lake.

pkiphd: All our local lakes allow boating, but most limit speeds to no wake speeds. Thats because these smaller lakes are quite susceptible to bank erosion. A smaller lake that has no speed restriction can silt in at a staggering pace.
Got Talk?
HeartlandForums.com - Discussion forums for Omaha, Nebraska, and the Heartland.

Your Home On The Web
Homepage Webs
Now featuring a photo hosting package!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Dam meeting draws a crowd
Pilot-Tribune Enterprise wrote:More than 300 people gathered Wednesday, April 5, in the commons at Bennington High School to talk with members of the HDR study team on proposed dam sites 1 and 3C. The dams would create reservoirs near Kennard and Washington in Washington County.

The general consensus of the hour-long grilling of the study team was that people do not trust HDR to do the study because of the potential for the company to get the design if it recommends constructing the lakes.

People in the audience also said they do not trust that flood control is the primary driving force behind the proposed lakes. Audience members also stressed the need for Washington County to have representation on the NRD board, which consists mainly of people from Douglas County.
adam186
Planning Board

Post by adam186 »

Coyote wrote:
Pilot-Tribune Enterprise wrote:People in the audience also said they do not trust that flood control is the primary driving force behind the proposed lakes.
Well, even if it doesn't, that doesn't mean that it can't serve that purpose aswell. :roll:
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

adam186 wrote:
Coyote wrote:
Pilot-Tribune Enterprise wrote:People in the audience also said they do not trust that flood control is the primary driving force behind the proposed lakes.
Well, even if it doesn't, that doesn't mean that it can't serve that purpose aswell. :roll:
I think their objection lies in their fear that the dams and lakes would become playgrounds for city-folk at the expense of rural-folk, moreso than in the flood control benefits the dams would provide. Either way, they aren't keen on providing benefit to Omaha that they don't get back in return (at least from their perspective).
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

--William Jennings Bryan
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

But then there are other local voices. Farmers whose land would be lost/ bought out. The County Board sees taxable land lost...

I was with The Executive Director of the Blair Area Chamber this afternoon and she is real excited about how many secondary service businesses that might crop up in Washington County around the site.

Maybe even a new subdivision. But I have seen the County Board plans for Washington County and the new neighborhood that will be developed west of Ft. Calhoun and that is the last one they would like for some time to come.

Much of the contempt is from the fact that Washington County would like to maintain its small city rural atmosphere and not be swallowed up by the residential developmental activity that has seen western Douglas County carved up.

This - even though Sarpy County is the fastest growing County with Washington County second. Cargill will be expanding its campus in Blair Bottoms to include the ethanol plant - bringing 50 more jobs to the area, so you have a lot of tension between the two sides of the economic development issues.
adam186
Planning Board

Post by adam186 »

Coyote wrote:Much of the contempt is from the fact that Washington County would like to maintain its small city rural atmosphere and not be swallowed up by the residential developmental activity that has seen western Douglas County carved up.
Why delay the inevitable, it will happen eventually. We are running out of space to expand to the West, the only natural path will be to the North and South.

That was a well thought out post coyote, much appreciated. With that said, I think there is a lot more to this project that we don't know about, like how it will effect the residents there.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Well - I believe it will be the Washington County Board of Supervisors that would rezone much of this land. I know the Chairperson pretty well - and I was at their last Board meeting. The feeling I get is that it will take more than just some ties and jackets to convince them to reconsider. From the mood in the County Assessors office - this is not a subject taken lightly at all.

But - I am seeing the Chairperson soon - so I'll have to ask, their next meeting is Tuesday.
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

adam186 wrote:Why delay the inevitable, it will happen eventually. We are running out of space to expand to the West, the only natural path will be to the North, South and East.
Just took the liberty of correcting what I'm sure you meant to say Adam. :wink:
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

--William Jennings Bryan
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I just talked with some Washington County Board people.
The only way this dam will be built is if the DNR 'condemns this land.'
But if the county will not release the roads the state would have to come in and create new legislation.

From the counties perspective - they DNR has yet to prove that this dam will be built primarily for flood control. They have been flat out lied to by the DNR and they are not too happy about that. This newly created 'recreational area' may spur residential growth - which is what the county does not want to happen.

"Why delay the inevitable? The only natural path would be to the North...?"
This is not inevitable. If Washington County does not want its land to be raped by developers it will not rezone the land. The County already had long term plans that took considerable time to put into action, for what reason should their plans be changed?
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Watch out there is a crazy coward running around here.. he sent me an email bitching me out over this thing. Said he is a Washington county resident and he wants to know where I live because I’m for this thing. I’m not sure why I was singled out but if anyone else got an irate email let me know.
15-17, 26, 32
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

PS that weirdo’s email address is XXXXXXXXXXXXX block it while you still have a chance!

Administrative EDIT: Please don't post private email addresses on this forum. There is an option within your individual configuration to prevent display of your own email, feel free to use it. Thanks.
15-17, 26, 32
adam186
Planning Board

Post by adam186 »

^You probably shouldn't single him out either. He just wants to be heard and shouldn't be blocked. I got an email from him too. He's just concerned and I think he owns the land that's going to be bought out.

Adam
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Yeah I know all that I just figured if people didn’t want him to bother them they can block his email.
15-17, 26, 32
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

I'm for this project.

Man, I'm glad I never filled in my email address when I signed up for this site. 8)
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Heh I got over 2000 posts, I’ve received hundreds of PMs but the first email I get is from a crazy person.
15-17, 26, 32
adam186
Planning Board

Post by adam186 »

MTO wrote:Heh I got over 2000 posts, I’ve received hundreds of PMs but the first email I get is from a crazy person.
Same here (minus 1000 posts). He called Omahans a bunch of idiots, and I kinda lost it but did so tastfully. 8)
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

He called us idiots? Well now we're going to do it just to spite him. :P
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

He’ll be the idiot when I’m jet-skiing over his house.
15-17, 26, 32
midtown charlie
Human Relations

Post by midtown charlie »

I am for this project but.........Try putting this guys shoes on. They might smell of manure but hey try it anyway. What if you owned a piece a land that had been in the family for say 150 years. Would you be real keen on selling it when you enjoyed what you are doing and planned on passing it down to your kids. Sure the money might be a lot, but there is a real attachment to a farmer and his land. What if the rural folk said hey let's put a hog barn where the first national tower is and they got goverment to agree. Would we be real happy? So while I think this is a worthwhile project....I also have some empathy for the person that is forced to give up their land.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Thanks for also seeing at least a little reality, midtown charlie. I was about to post a similar thought - that this land may have been in the family for 150 years, but now some government agency wants to come in and lie about their concerns and trump up some charges for flood control and condemn it or take away by eminent domain, who would not be upset. Then you get some young kids that ridicule you over for owning your own land - I would consider calling them ignorant also - or at least thoughtless and inconsiderate.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Omaha metro area: land of lakes?
Construction of 29 new dams at a cost of $282.5 million and a tax on new development are part of a regional proposal to address water pollution and flooding in the Omaha metropolitan area. Coupled with a $100 million plan to build two large flood-control and recreation lakes in Washington County, the proposal pushes possible dam-building in the metro area to nearly $400 million.
http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_pg=1636&u_sid=2165246
15-17, 26, 32
Brad
City Council

Two sides begin talks on Washington County dam proposal

Post by Brad »

Two sides begin talks on Washington County dam proposal

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_pg=1636&u_sid=2207625
Options besides large reservoirs include dry dams, buffer strips, terracing and smaller lakes.

Why would you make a dry lake. You would rather have a big dry hole in the ground thank a nice big beautiful lake!
"I sincerely hope we get the big lakes built," Tesar said. "In the long run, the economic advantage to Washington County would be huge. But if they don't want to go for that, I'm willing to look at a second alternative, which would be smaller dams."
Now there is a positive thought... "long Run"... "Economic Advantage"... :D
Smaller dams, Tesar said, would have the negative effect of less development and fewer recreational opportunities. But that is a price he said he's willing to pay.
But no, lets just screw over the future generations of Washington County. :twisted:
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

just more stuff to add on our terror attack list
15-17, 26, 32
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

MTO wrote:just more stuff to add on our terror attack list
brad wrote:Two sides begin talks on Washington County dam proposal

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_pg=1636&u_sid=2207625
Options besides large reservoirs include dry dams, buffer strips, terracing and smaller lakes.

Why would you make a dry lake. You would rather have a big dry hole in the ground thank a nice big beautiful lake!
"I sincerely hope we get the big lakes built," Tesar said. "In the long run, the economic advantage to Washington County would be huge. But if they don't want to go for that, I'm willing to look at a second alternative, which would be smaller dams."
Now there is a positive thought... "long Run"... "Economic Advantage"... :D
Smaller dams, Tesar said, would have the negative effect of less development and fewer recreational opportunities. But that is a price he said he's willing to pay.
But no, lets just screw over the future generations of Washington County. :twisted:
Not if they don't build it!
Brad
City Council

Vote on policies for dams delayed

Post by Brad »

Vote on policies for dams delayed

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_pg=1636&u_sid=2243059
DAKOTA CITY, Neb. - A dissatisfied Papio-Missouri River Natural Resources District board on Thursday again delayed a decision on whether to endorse almost $300 million in dams as part of a regional stormwater plan.

In calling for the delay, board member Rick Kolowski said too much confusion remains among board members about what their vote would signify.

The board is being asked to approve a set of six policies, one of which says the district "shall" develop 29 dams. One of the points of confusion is the degree to which the district would be obligated to build all 29, especially since a statement has not been inserted into the policies tying construction to the availability of money.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Another dam plan may be in works for Douglas, Washington Counties

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_pg=1636&u_sid=2275479
Douglas and Washington Counties don't like a plan to build up to 29 dams in the metropolitan Omaha area, so the two counties may come up with a plan of their own.

As the two counties work on their own proposal, officials from the counties also intend to fight funding in the Nebraska Legislature for the Papio-Missouri River Natural Resources District's $282.5 million dam-building plan.

Washington County Board Chairman Duane Wilcox appeared before the Douglas County Board last week to propose the partnership.

"We don't see why the richest farm land in the area should be under water," Wilcox said.

Douglas County Board members responded with interest, and the two counties intend to form a committee this month.

Committee members could include Douglas County Board members Clare Duda, Mary Ann Borgeson and Chris Rodgers and Chief Administrative Officer Kathleen Kelley, as well as private sector representatives. Washington County is still considering who would serve on the committee, Wilcox said.

Duda said the intent is to look at solutions other than the NRD proposal for local governments to be partners with developers to build dams in Douglas, Sarpy and Washington Counties.

"I'm not saying we won't consider dams," Duda said. "Some dams may be necessary for flood control, but not as many as 29."
They are thinking sooooo short term. I 20 years they are not going to be rich farmland, they are going to be subdivisions. With every new subdivision built the risk of flood increases, BUILD THE LAKES!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

These lakes are not for flood control and the NRD has already admitted that. The Papio-Missouri River NRD has been out of control and in bed with developers for years now and that is why Washington and Douglas counties are teaming together to circumvent the NRD.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Dam construction plans moving forward

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=2 ... id=2400864
The Papio-Missouri River Natural Resources District continues to move forward with dam construction plans.

The new 2007-2008 NRD budget would set aside $10.8 million for its proposal to build new dams in the metro area.

Of that total, $4 million in property tax revenues would be placed into a reserve account that the NRD says is needed because the Legislature rejected its request for authority to issue bonds.

The NRD also proposes to move forward with land acquisition for a new reservoir in Sarpy County.

NRD General Manager John Winkler said Tuesday that the district is creating the reserve account to begin saving money for flood control work.

"Until we get bonding authority, we have to save money," Winkler said.

Earlier this year, a legislative committee killed a bill that would have given the Papio NRD bonding authority, which is the ability to go into debt, and then pay off that debt with tax dollars.
nebport5
Planning Board

Post by nebport5 »

wow this is bad news!

I'm all for more recreation but not at the expense of polluting the water and environment with dams.  Excessive flooding is nature's way of saying "don't build here!".

If you think raw sewage is a problem now, what 'til these dams are built.

In a state with significant agriculture and recent droughts too bad some of this water couldn't be pumped out west.

there's got to be a better solution.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

1.  What are your talking about.  This Dam is in southwest Sarpy County, the sewage problem is in east Omaha.  They have nothing to do with each other.  The problem with the sewage is that in East Omaha, Storm Water and Sewage run in the same pipe.

2.  That argument that flooding is natures way of saying "don't build there" doesn't work either.  When you develop land there is more run off which makes the floods worse, Dams are 1 way to counter act that.

Personally I want them to build all the dams if not more.
Andrew
Home Owners Association

Post by Andrew »

What pollution are you referring to?  Algae?  Certainly not as bad as raw sewage backing up!  Build the dams right and prepare the land beforehand and you'll have a great looking lake.
nebport5
Planning Board

Post by nebport5 »

I'm not saying dams in the western part of Omaha will directly contribute to the sewage problem in east Omaha.  Perhaps I could've been a bit clearer.  Over time dams have been known to pollute surrounding waters and contribute to problems with sewage and waste disposal.  Dams are simply a band-aid redirecting the water somewhere else only to cause more environmental problems.  Ecosystems are destroyed, toxins are collected in the standing water and the fertility of the soil is compromised.

Dams are very short sighted and the benefits are far outweighed by the detriment.

research the impact of dams and tell me what a great idea this will be.
Andrew
Home Owners Association

Post by Andrew »

Don't build those dams and you might have to label all future development (which will happen regardless) as Dundee II.  I would say in my personal opinion that the introduction of the flood controlling dam infrastructure before commercial and residential development far outweighs what would otherwise happen in terms of flood damage.  Flood damage can be partially controlled as well as pollution.  If you want an example of where the land is telling people "Don't build here" then look no further than the city of New Orleans.