Omaha Area Amusement Park?

Proposed Development Projects that got Minarded.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Swift
Planning Board

Omaha Area Amusement Park?

Post by Swift »

I was talking with my friend who's dad works for OPPD and she said this:

"we're getting an amusement park. out by mahoney, they had to get a bunch of stuff ok'ed for power from oppd. its supposed to be similar to worlds of fun."

has anyone heard about this?
Raraavis
Library Board

Post by Raraavis »

Is that The New Peony Park? I believe the developers were having financing issues. To build a Worlds of Fun size park from scratch would have to cost around 1 billion and that might be on the low side. I can't imagine the Omaha/CB/Lincoln market is big enough to justify that kid of investment. That is not saying the park wouldn't be successful if built but it is probably too risky for such a large investment. There would probably be less risk building a new park outside of a major city even with several competing parks than there would be building one in a small market like Omaha.
jcitta
Home Owners Association

Post by jcitta »

If this is true, which i hope it is, my only hope is that they do it right. What i mean is that they dont go halfway on it and then call it good. I know that we cant have a worlds of fun right away, but i hope they get enough land that they can keep expanding the park as they make more money. Just my two cents.
OmahaDevelopmentMan
Human Relations

Post by OmahaDevelopmentMan »

Yea, if this is true, which like most people, I hope it is, I don't think they would need to go to the worlds of fun size right away. It would have to leave plenty of room for expantion thought. And Raraavis, I have to disagree with you. I think Omaha-Lincoln is a big enough market. The fact it may(if this is true) go along I-80 would help loure travelers for a little break.
j4nu
Home Owners Association

Post by j4nu »

I learned not to get my hopes up on rumors like this a long time ago. That being said, I've always thought that this would be the best location for one.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

I agree that this is a better location than CB, and I do hope it's more on the Omaha side of the "Mahoney Area". Although, I consider Mahoney to be in the Omaha metro area.

Bob, you should try to find out as much as you can from this friend and her dad. Let us know!

And, I agree it would be impossible for Omaha to get a Worlds of Fun or Six Flags sized park right off the bat, but that has to be the ultimate goal. I think Omaha's next amusement park should definitely match or surpass Adventureland in Des Moines.

And absolutely no question, the Omaha region has been MORE than ready for a major amusment park for at least 20 years.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

Hopefully the third time is a charm. But, like many of us I'm sure, I'll believe it when I see it.
papiostud
Home Owners Association

Post by papiostud »

If this were to happen, and I really hope it does, it would surely bring Omaha and Lincoln together into one METRO area.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

It would be a spectacular view of Omaha (esp at night) and the platte valley if a rollercoaster was up a couple hundred feet in the air from the top of the bluff where NebraSki used to be. Almost as cool as the view of DT Kansas City from atop the Mamba at night down in Worlds of Fun.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Well, if they build it on the hills where NebraSki used to be, they'd have to do it without chopping down one tree in order for me not to be upset. That area is beautiful.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
jborg
New to the Neighborhood

Post by jborg »

You are already making me drool. If this amusement park truly comes to pass, it will definately bring Omaha out of its doldrums. I know many people who have traveled to Des Moines just for the reason of going to Adventureland. Also, think of the many coaster enthusiasts out there that will travel thousands of miles just to ride one new roller coaster. Just think how much closer this will bring Omaha and Lincoln to becoming one metro area. I know I am looking to far ahead, but it is still fun to dream about know that it is a possibility.
j4nu
Home Owners Association

Post by j4nu »

Although asthetically great things could be done with that site, the cost would be greatly increased and I'm sure they would face opposition from Quary Oaks across the river. I thought it may be more likely across the highway from the museum and Mahoney.
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

Raraavis wrote:Is that The New Peony Park? I believe the developers were having financing issues. To build a Worlds of Fun size park from scratch would have to cost around 1 billion and that might be on the low side. I can't imagine the Omaha/CB/Lincoln market is big enough to justify that kid of investment. That is not saying the park wouldn't be successful if built but it is probably too risky for such a large investment. There would probably be less risk building a new park outside of a major city even with several competing parks than there would be building one in a small market like Omaha.
I disagree, Omaha is the largest city in America with out a major amusement park. I do think it will have to be of prudent size to begin with though.
CountOfMC
Library Board

Post by CountOfMC »

This discussion would be perfect for a "Rumors" thread... I'm sure we all have lots of those. :D

So we can bet on one in what 15 years? 5 to come up with the financing and 10 yrs to build it.. that should fit our timeframe with the way we do things around here.
God created alcohol to keep the Irish from taking over the world!
projectman
Human Relations

Post by projectman »

Mahoney is in Saunders County which is now part of the metropolitan area. And I do think the Omaha/Lincoln area can support an amusement park of this size. The I80 corridor is heavily traveled and would be easy to get to. It would definitely provide development infill for the area between Lancaster county and Omaha proper.

Its a nice dream as a number of you have stated, but rumors run rampant around here and the financing never seems to come through.

Lets keep our fingers crossed that this may be for real.
UNOstudent
Human Relations

Post by UNOstudent »

as everyone else, i hope this comes true. it would save me (and countless Omahans) time to go to KC for a thrill ride. an amuzement park is a needed addition to retain and add future citizens to the metro area. we dont have mountains nor the ocean, but with a mix of the qwest center, old market, amuzement park, etc; omaha can be competitive with other cities.
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

Swift... I'm pretty sure I could find plenty of cities larger than Omaha without a 'major' amusement park.

Case in point... Phoenix... with over 3 million... and all they have is 'Castles and Coasters'... this little corner of a mall parking lot which is a fraction of the size of what Peony Park was.

No doubt though... a park... even a modest one (it doesn't even have to be an Adventureland size park) would help counter the 'brain drain' issue in my estimation (along with this 3am 'last call' proposal).
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

jhuston wrote:Swift... I'm pretty sure I could find plenty of cities larger than Omaha without a 'major' amusement park.

Case in point... Phoenix... with over 3 million... and all they have is 'Castles and Coasters'... this little corner of a mall parking lot which is a fraction of the size of what Peony Park was.

No doubt though... a park... even a modest one (it doesn't even have to be an Adventureland size park) would help counter the 'brain drain' issue in my estimation (along with this 3am 'last call' proposal).
I read tis statistic in the World-Herald. MAybe it was largest city with out a roller coaster or something.
ajf3223
New to the Neighborhood

Post by ajf3223 »

i think it would be sweet to have a park in the undeveloped area around abbott drive. that would attract a lot of people.
AZCorey
Home Owners Association

Post by AZCorey »

[I disagree, Omaha is the largest city in America with out a major amusement park. I do think it will have to be of prudent size to begin with though.[/quote]

Phoenix does not have a major amusement park....and we're almost 2 million (5th largest in US)

We have Castles n Coasters, which does NOT qualify as a major amusement park.....

It would be great if Omaha got one.....hopefully the people would support it.
AZCorey
Home Owners Association

Post by AZCorey »

Swift wrote:
jhuston wrote:Swift... I'm pretty sure I could find plenty of cities larger than Omaha without a 'major' amusement park.

I read tis statistic in the World-Herald. MAybe it was largest city with out a roller coaster or something.
OOPS! I didn't see this post....it says the same thing...sorry!
j4nu
Home Owners Association

Post by j4nu »

While I agree that a park on Abbot drive would be nice, there would be too many height limitations due to the airport.
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:I agree that this is a better location than CB, and I do hope it's more on the Omaha side of the "Mahoney Area". Although, I consider Mahoney to be in the Omaha metro area.

And absolutely no question, the Omaha region has been MORE than ready for a major amusment park for at least 20 years.
I"m going to have to disagree on your comment about this being a better location than Council Bluffs. True, a Mahoney location would be more centrally located between 2 metro areas, but that's about the only thing going for that location. I think the Mahoney area would require a far greater investment in infrastructure than a more metro location would. The former CB location was actually a very good location (esp. if some people I know can ever get over the 'stigma' of driving across the Missouri River), as it is near the junction of 2 major US interstates, making it far more suitable for attracting the attention of travelers that might be inclined to put it in their next travel itinerary. Plus, look at the location of most amusement parks around here - they are not centrally co-located to the region's population (and with good reason).

That said, I think this would have a tough row to hoe as far as financing. The former proposed CB park was going to be larger than Worlds of Fun, area-wise, and even with all the tax incentives that the city was willing to throw that way, the financing never came all together, and the developer had some pretty good people on board, relative to the amusement park world.

But hey, I'll drive across the river to a good amusement park - beats the nearly 3-hour drive with kids!
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

I would rather see it more near the airport and the northwest corridor of Interstate whatever it is so that it is more of a tourist attraction.
FatGuy
Home Owners Association

Post by FatGuy »

I do not understand the near the airport location. I have never flown to get to an amusement park. Do people fly their families places to go on a roller coaster? That is, other than Disney Land/World.
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

No no, so when people fly in with their families, they will see an amusement park and realize that it would be a good thing for their family to do while they are visiting Omaha.

I suppose the best place would be near Rosenblatt and the Zoo. Ideally on the North side of the interstate. Where those homes are now.
OmahaDevelopmentMan
Human Relations

I don't like the abbot drive idea. I mean that area can be used for so much better than an amusement park, there also would be too many height restrictions as well as there is a limited area for expansion.
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

I also think the I-29 and I-80 location would be the best in terms of drawing attendance. Although I saw a list of attraction attendance numbers recently and recall Mahoney State Park as being well over 1 million ALONE! (and I'd have to assume the vast majority of those are during warm weather months).
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

If the amusment park is true, than I tink Mahoney is a stupid location. Yeah it's between Omaha and Lincoln, but just think how much Omaha would benefit fromt the money the park and hotels and restaurants around the park would bring in.

I think the perfect location wuold be along Storz Expressway. If you don't know where that is it's what Abbot Drive turns into before splittin off into the the North Freeway and Sorenson Parkway. Right now there are a bunch of big factories and little to no residences. It's a very large area. I drvie across it alot and it's about 2.5 miles across. The area is perfectly flat wihck would be easier for construction and it would be easier to connect with OPPD. It wouldn't intefere with the planes because it is west of the airoport and shouldn't get into the way of the north-south runways. Also it would have a unique view of DT and all the way into MT and the UNMC area. Right down the street is the Qwest Center and DTO so it would make for a real happening place to put it there instead of Mahoney.
DTO
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

If the amusment park is true, than I tink Mahoney is a stupid location. Yeah it's between Omaha and Lincoln, but just think how much Omaha would benefit fromt the money the park and hotels and restaurants around the park would bring in.

I think the perfect location wuold be along Storz Expressway. If you don't know where that is it's what Abbot Drive turns into before splittin off into the the North Freeway and Sorenson Parkway. Right now there are a bunch of big factories and little to no residences. It's a very large area. I drvie across it alot and it's about 2.5 miles across. The area is perfectly flat wihck would be easier for construction and it would be easier to connect with OPPD. It wouldn't intefere with the planes because it is west of the airoport and shouldn't get into the way of the north-south runways. Also it would have a unique view of DT and all the way into MT and the UNMC area. Right down the street is the Qwest Center and DTO so it would make for a real happening place to put it there instead of Mahoney.
DTO
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

DTO
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

DTO luv We get your point point point
projectman
Human Relations

Post by projectman »

You mean in with all the industrial sites on the way to the airport. It's too far out of the way for an amusement park.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

nebugeater wrote:DTO luv We get your point point point
Oops. :oops: The first time I tried postin it kept saying the pag had to reload and I must've clicked it more than once.

It's not as out of the way as it seems. You could get there from the interstate just as easy as you would if it was out in Mahoney. The Storz Expressway runs pretty much uninterupted until it turns into Abbot. I like this location becasue it keeps the money in Omaha and would turn a little used or thought of area into a major destination.
DTO
CountOfMC
Library Board

Post by CountOfMC »

^
Not a bad idea but it ain't gonna happen. I'm indifferent as to whether it goes in at I-80/I-29 or out by Mahoney.. either way it's gonna draw over a million people in my estimation. With this proposed Cabela/entertainment center rumored to be anchored near Gretna/Mahoney.. that just might be enough to take the cake and win approval for that area. Regardless.. it'd be a big boost to the metro.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I would still prefer to see Omaha proper or at least Douglas county be home to the park. That would be a great addition for the metro but Omaha should work to maintain it's reigns on the metro. The park would be adevertise no doubt as Omaha's amusement park so we should get it. Worlds of Fun is in KC but Adventureland is in Ankeny a suburb of Des Moines. Even though people still go to Des Moines on their trips to Adventureland, they miss out on the money that it would bring in.

If it was in Omaha we could put the money towards more things that would bring people in. Out in rural Sarpy county I don't even know who it would go to, but no one else does as much for the metro as Omaha so I think it's only fair that we should be home to the park. Of course we don't know if it's true yet so I'm just talking out my |expletive|.
DTO
OmahaDevelopmentMan
Human Relations

Would we really want it in douglas county though? I mean in 20 or so years, Omaha will be all of Douglas County (hopefully). The same thing would happen to that park as what happened to the old one. It became land locked by housing and businesses, leaving no place to grow. I think council bluffs is the right spot for one.
OmahaDevelopmentMan
Human Relations

Would we really want it in douglas county though? I mean in 20 or so years, Omaha will be all of Douglas County (hopefully). The same thing would happen to that park as what happened to the old one. It became land locked by housing and businesses, leaving no place to grow. I think council bluffs is the right spot for one.
CountOfMC
Library Board

Post by CountOfMC »

I just don't see any viable spot for it in Douglas County.. simply because there's no room.. and it needs to be off of a major interstate for ease of getting in and out. Even if it were to locate in CB.. most people would still stay downtown, spend money downtown, etc etc. I still think if all this stuff ends up getting pushed through, the best locale might favor Mahoney... and if this happens, look out for further sprawl as we tear our way further and further southwest to lincoln. This area will explode not only with the entertainment center.. but with housing developments, condos, hotels.. it's exciting to think about. [/code]
UNOstudent
Human Relations

Post by UNOstudent »

i dont know what all is west of lake manawa area, but what if that area got cleaned up and put a park there. when/if they rebuild the west 80/29 interchange, they could add a south leg that would go to the park, lake, hwy 275, and whatever other developments unfold in that area.