Pinnacle / Swanson Site (10th and Capitol)

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, Omaha Cowboy, Brad, nebugeater

Out of the 3 proposals on Page 15, Which one is your favorite

Proposal 1: Shamrock
77%
Proposal 2: Buckingham
9%
Proposal 3: Nexus
14%

Total votes: 22

DTO Luv
City Council

Postby DTO Luv » Sun Apr 15, 2007 6:02 pm

I was talking with the owner of Farrells' wife yesterday and she told me some news about the Swanson site. She said the group of investors in Farrells is close with the city and has some way of knowing that there has been lots of interest from groups around the nation wanting to build on the Swanson site. It's nothing you probably couldn't figure out what was happening but it's nice to hear that there is still behind the scenes work going on.

Brad
City Council

Postby Brad » Mon Jul 30, 2007 2:35 pm

Omaha wants 'linchpin' parcels

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=2 ... d=10091647

Between the up-and-coming north downtown area and the bustling Old Market lies the now-dormant Pinnacle Foods plant.

The looming factory is a testament to the city's blue-collar roots, but it may also be a key to downtown's ongoing rebirth as a residential center and tourist zone.

Omaha purchased the Pinnacle site in March and is looking to buy the two remaining adjacent parcels, where Hauff Sporting Goods and Ferguson Enterprises are situated.

With those parcels, the city would control the entire two-block area between 10th and 12th Streets and Capitol Avenue to Interstate 480. The city plans to ask developers to put together proposals for the site once it owns all the land.

Those proposals probably would include residential, retail or office space, or even a full-service hotel. Such a hotel, with a restaurant, meeting space and other amenities, could help the Qwest Center Omaha draw larger conventions that sometimes bypass the city because there aren't enough full-service hotels.

Omaha Planning Director Steve Jensen considers the site a "linchpin" that connects downtown's two entertainment areas, and the city isn't taking any chances on the future of the pivotal blocks.

"What happens to this site is critical," Jensen said.

The future of the property is also critical for Hauff Sporting Goods and Ferguson Enterprises, which sells plumbing fixtures.
Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
http://www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
http://www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
@bradwphoto on Twitter
Greater Omaha Chamber of Commerce Member

StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Postby StreetsOfOmaha » Mon Jul 30, 2007 3:28 pm

Exciting that things seem to be moving with these blocks, and that the city seems determined that they feature very high quality urban development.

And we may see proposals by this fall/winter!!!
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963

OmahaJaysCU
Parks & Recreation

Postby OmahaJaysCU » Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:25 pm

Great news!  

Omaha purchased the 3.24-acre Pinnacle property for $2.5 million in March after a private buyer made an offer on the site. City officials feared the private owner would raze the plant and put in a parking lot that would compete with the convention center and arena lots.

Thank GOD the city stepped in to stop this.  Can you imagine that, it would be 90% of the people on this sites nightmare/

How long after their release did we have to wait for the proposals on the UP site?

DTO Luv
City Council

Postby DTO Luv » Mon Jul 30, 2007 6:16 pm

It wasn't very long after the UP proposals came in before they were released. The WS Tower was actually on the drawing board before the RFPs were out for the site.

I'm stoked that the city is finally being aggressive about this site. I think we'll all like what will end up there.

the1wags
County Board

Postby the1wags » Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:08 pm

Great news. I'm glad that the city seems to realize the potential/how important this site is. I can't wait to see proposals!

nebport5
Parks & Recreation

Postby nebport5 » Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:24 pm

And Thanks to Karen Sloan(WH writer) who referenced North Downtown without using that god awful four letter word.

agibson95
Home Owners Association

Postby agibson95 » Tue Jul 31, 2007 6:44 am

DTO Luv wrote:It wasn't very long after the UP proposals came in before they were released. The WS Tower was actually on the drawing board before the RFPs were out for the site.

I'm stoked that the city is finally being aggressive about this site. I think we'll all like what will end up there.

Maybe we will get that 800 room Hilton that was on the drawing board when the Quest was being built. Although I did hear rumors of a Borders and Hard Rock cafe. I think it would be cool to have a house of blues or hard rock, but we are probably still too small of a market
Last edited by agibson95 on Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OmahaChef
Parks & Recreation

Postby OmahaChef » Tue Jul 31, 2007 5:56 pm

I had to laugh when I read this article in the paper this morning.  Just last week I was at 11th & Dodge waiting for a bus, and was thinking to myself the city must be trying to buy both properties, so they can market the entire two block parcel.  And so they are!

Once they close on both properties, the city can put out a nationwide RFP, and then the fun begines.  About the time a crane comes down from Wall Street Tower, a few could be going up on this property.
Always a business-oriented city hungry for growth and focused on development with laser intensity, Omaha aimed high, reached for momentum and found critical mass.

StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Postby StreetsOfOmaha » Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:58 pm

With the entire two block parcel, I'd expect to see proposals featuring a mix of all uses, probably with a hotel portion nearest 10th Street and probably a mixed use residential/office building with ground level retail to the West.  All high-rise.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."

the1wags
County Board

Postby the1wags » Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:00 pm

I'll drink to that.  :cheers:

nebport5
Parks & Recreation

Postby nebport5 » Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:20 am

Contrary to what many on here think I'm not convinced this site is a shoe-in for a high-rise.  It seems like the city is steering toward a full service hotel, which doesn't necessarily spell high-rise.  Furthermore, If the Fahey ballpark plan is endorsed by the NCAA, another major hotel DT would buttress the project much further than the Cummings St. additions.

the1wags
County Board

Postby the1wags » Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:14 am

I think a hotel is almost a given for this site. But it will be 2 full blocks, which is plenty of room for a hotel and much more. We all know a hotel doesn't guarantee a high rise (see Hilton), but it could look like the Marriott that was proposed too. I'm hoping for the latter. ;)

In my dream world, there will be 3 main buildings built on the Swanson site. A full service hotel fronting 10th (20+ stories), an office tower (12-20) and a large apartment/condo tower on the west end (16+).

Stargazer
County Board

Postby Stargazer » Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:53 am

Of course unless it's a really hot market... hotels don't generally build highrise structures (with lots of rooms) without almost 100% public funding.  Aside from a sweet deal on the property... I don't see the city kicking in money to build a highrise hotel (when the mayor already axed the first plan, citing money... last I checked the city was still strapped for cash).

DTO Luv
City Council

Postby DTO Luv » Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:18 am

I think the city is planning on having more than a hotel at the site (if that's part of it at all.) It seems to me the city is thinking "go big or go home" for the Swanson site. It was described as the hub of the wheel of future DT activity. I don't see anything small for the site. Plus the streetcars will be running right by there so I think we could see alot packed on to those two blocks.

DTO Luv
City Council

Postby DTO Luv » Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:20 am

One other thing...

What does it matter if the city is strapped for cash? Aren't the RFPs from private developers? It's their money being spent, not the city.

Big E
City Council

Postby Big E » Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:53 pm

DTO Luv wrote:One other thing...

What does it matter if the city is strapped for cash? Aren't the RFPs from private developers? It's their money being spent, not the city.

It doesn't matter if the city is strapped for cash UNLESS - as Jeff said - the hypothetical future developer was expecting the city to kick in some financing, ala the Qwest/Hilton.  These deals can be worked a bazillion ways from Tuesday, and just because the city helps on one project doesn't mean they will help on another.

-Big E
"The above statement was not intended to be factual."

nebport5
Parks & Recreation

Postby nebport5 » Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:57 pm

Yes there's plenty of room for more than a hotel, say a new transportation hub that some of us wanted to see at Burlington.

or here's an idea:

the city trades this site for Bluestone's Butternut site.

Swanson site: becomes both a hotel(for the city) and condo tower(for Bluestone).

Butternut site: becomes new transportation hub complete with integrated retail to capitalize on the high volume of foot traffic.

midtown charlie
Human Relations

Postby midtown charlie » Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:57 pm

Looks like the city is in the process of acquiring property with plans to demolish but I only scanned this one.  It good to see action on these properties.  

http://www.ci.omaha.ne.us/departments/c ... c/1228.pdf

Brad
City Council

Postby Brad » Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:40 am

Hopefully we see something soon!
@bradwphoto on Twitter

ihartfield
New to the Neighborhood

Postby ihartfield » Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:47 am

Last night on KETV, this site was highlighted as a potential option for the stadium if Lot D falls through. I hope that we don't move toward that. Not sure if KETV was assuming it was on the table or what.

the1wags
County Board

Postby the1wags » Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:04 am

There's no way you're fitting a ballpark on that site. If KETV said that then they are just pulling stuff outta their butts.

StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Postby StreetsOfOmaha » Sat Oct 13, 2007 5:12 pm

the1wags wrote:There's no way you're fitting a ballpark on that site. If KETV said that then they are just pulling stuff outta their butts.

Like BIG E!!!  (Referencing the banter in the Kimball Lofts discussion)  8)

OmahaChef
Parks & Recreation

Postby OmahaChef » Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:12 pm

I think the parcel included at 920 Dodge is a bit interesting.  Not really part of the Pinnacle site, it is the vacant lot between 902 Dodge (Farrell's) and 10th Street.  The city already owns half of the land facing 10th near Capitol.  Could they be trying to offer the whole half block for redevelopment by buying the half block they do not already own?
Always a business-oriented city hungry for growth and focused on development with laser intensity, Omaha aimed high, reached for momentum and found critical mass.

thenewguy
Planning Board

Postby thenewguy » Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:25 pm

all i know is that it is one big |expletive| parking lot!  it may be tough to fit a ball park in there with the building directly to the east, but it'd work out incredibly well to have a 30 story highrise with a skywalk connecting a parking garage and some retail directly across the street :)  Who can i call to get in on some of these details like all you folks? ;)  Granted, i dont live in Omaha, but i'd love to help kick them in the |expletive| to get a move on!  When Omaha prospers, Council bluffs does, too.  The more that starts happening in Omaha, the more that the area gets noticed and people come to CB, as well.  Dont get me wrong, i'm glad that CB is starting to come out of its shell and get some big time things, but i also like being able to see the omaha skyline and downtown changing...this site would be a perfect add-on to wallstreet.  Then i can hop on the bike trail on the iowa side and look at it all from the bridge :)

the1wags
County Board

Postby the1wags » Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:50 am

Thought I'd throw this out there as another example of what we should be shooting for on this site. Atlanta project, two towers at 487ft and 392ft. 400 room hotel, 90 condos, 750000ft2 office, retail, etc.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=133691

Brad
City Council

Postby Brad » Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:00 am

Nice, I can see that fitting there.
@bradwphoto on Twitter

Stargazer
County Board

Postby Stargazer » Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:33 am

I wish.  I personally don't see anything of that scale coming to the Swanson site.

the1wags
County Board

Postby the1wags » Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:04 pm

Yeah getting an almost 400ft and almost 500ft in one shot there is probably a stretch.  :;):  I'd like to think a 300ft and a 200-250ft would be obtainable though. Mainly I just want mixed use with some height if possible.

StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Postby StreetsOfOmaha » Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:19 pm

Absolutely the right concept.  

I hope we see a project just like that, although in all likelihood it would be about half that scale, but still awesome.

OmahaJaysCU
Parks & Recreation

Postby OmahaJaysCU » Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:02 pm

something like this would be great too...

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=450431

thenewguy
Planning Board

Postby thenewguy » Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:44 pm

i dig them both, though i would lean more towards the 2nd one.  I enjoy the retail, the restaurants that could accompany it, maybe a movie theater; that would add quite a bit of atmosphere, and would be excellent when coupled with wallstreet and the "proposed" tower by asset strategies.  Shoot, in about 5 years, Omaha could definitely be one heck of a skyline!  I get excited about all of this, i just hope they dont let me down!!

Brad
City Council

Postby Brad » Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:56 pm

The Mayor said that they are trying to purchas the last buildings so that when they release the RFP its the entire 2 blocks.
@bradwphoto on Twitter

DTO Luv
City Council

Postby DTO Luv » Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:02 pm

Where did you hear this? It's certainly good news though.

guitarguy
Parks & Recreation

Postby guitarguy » Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:18 pm

i heard it on the grow omaha show from a week or so ago

Brad
City Council

Postby Brad » Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:18 pm

DTO Luv wrote:Where did you hear this? It's certainly good news though.

The Grow Omaha Radio Program ( http://www.growomaha.com/archive.htm ) episode 202
@bradwphoto on Twitter

thenewguy
Planning Board

Postby thenewguy » Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:56 pm

i can't get it to pull up.  Forgive me, but i was a touch confused by the explanation so i'm going to make some sense of it.  When they release RFP for building 2, they want to have the entire swanson (2 blocks worth) to market to whomever would be interested in purchasing for whatever use, right?  Right.  so they are using the money from selling the RFP land, they will use it to buy the swanson land?  Is that the gist of it?  Were there anymore details besides that?  Like anyone interested, any leads on it, anything?  Is this Daub's prediction?  I'll try to see if the site will pull up again in a bit so i can edit out my retardation :)  Stupid IE...i should switch back to mozilla.
Go Cubs Go

Brad
City Council

Postby Brad » Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:55 pm

thenewguy, I am not sure what you are saying but here is what will happen:

The city owns the Swanson Site

The city is trying to buy 2 buildings on that block so that they have the whole 2 block

Then the city will put out an RFP (request for Proposal)

Developers will submit their plans(proposals) and the city will choose one.  That developer will get to develop the site.
@bradwphoto on Twitter

thenewguy
Planning Board

Postby thenewguy » Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:26 am

Brad wrote:The Mayor said that they are trying to purchas the last buildings so that when they release the RFP its the entire 2 blocks.

Man, i feel like a huuuuge dip |expletive|.  You have got to forgive me, i just automatically went to thinking RiverFrontPlace.  It all makes sense now, i'm just not as up and up on the acronyms and initialisms.  But yes, what you reiterated was what i was asking, and now that i am clear on which RFP it was, it makes sense.  It reeks of poo in here from that brain fart :;):
Go Cubs Go

Bomaha
Home Owners Association

Postby Bomaha » Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:11 pm

you fool! :lol:

Return to “Urban Omaha Development”