Village Pointe (SWC 168 & West Dodge)

West Omaha, Sarpy and Nebraska metro counties.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Hellenistic Kshatriya
Home Owners Association

Post by Hellenistic Kshatriya »

Yea put it over there. Not west of the theatre, that is a nice view still... I love being out there late at night :). 2 AM when the security is making us leave :).
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

A new addition to Village Pointe opened today: Atherton Place - a home furnishings store.
http://www.athertonplace.com/
Omaha World Herald wrote:Atherton Place features a house design center where customers can get decoration advice and assistance.

The 5,000-square-foot store employs five full- and part-time workers, Forrest said.

Based in State College, Pa., this is the second location for the company. In May, it opened its first store in Middleton, Wis.

A grand-opening celebration is scheduled to begin Friday.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Crummy product in an even crummier location (only retail store with nothing but a south parking lot facing).
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

There are also a rumor going around that Tin Star is going to be closing.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Uffda wrote:There are also a rumor going around that Tin Star is going to be closing.
Did the melting plot ever close?
HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation

Post by HskrFanMike »

Melting Pot was open a few months ago, and I still get periodic e-mails from them, so I assume they are still there...
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Brad wrote:
Uffda wrote:There are also a rumor going around that Tin Star is going to be closing.
Did the melting plot ever close?
Didn't go there but they were open last weekend on my way to Tin Star.   I Hope TS stays open.  We kind of like that palce.  They always seem fairly busy but as we know that is not the only determining factor.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

I think the Melting Pot rumor was totally off base.  Every time I've been near it at Village Point it seems to be doing well.
omahastylee459
Parks & Recreation

Post by omahastylee459 »

edit* read the story wrong
Last edited by omahastylee459 on Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Did someone say S&C Letter Club was closing?
omahastylee459
Parks & Recreation

Post by omahastylee459 »

Stargazer wrote:Did someone say S&C Letter Club was closing?
sorry i read the post saying "and now they close" and figured it was talking about S&C
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Was at VP early this afternoon and Tin Star has in fact closed.  The signs were down. the outdoor patio seating was gone, the windows with blinds were closed and those without were covered with paper.  Too bad, I though this was a decent place.  I image the cost of the space where they were is fairly high among other things but they did seem like they had a fairly busy place when I was there.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

damn no more chips and cheese con Queso   :(
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Uffda wrote:darn no more chips and cheese con Queso   :(
Chips and cheese with cheese?

No wonder they closed.  Cheese is really expensive.

-Big E
Stable genius.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

ok take the first cheese..... :lol:

I guess people are  right --- everyone in here likes to take free shots....  :lol:
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Uffda wrote:I guess people are  right --- everyone in here likes to take free shots....  :lol:
Come on... when you put that lob out over the plate...   :P

-Big E
Stable genius.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Tinstar was locally owned by Cutchall Restaurant Management... this hiccup aside, they've had considerable success with all the local Famous Dave's, Sonics, Popeye's and Paradise Bakery restaurants... and have been branching out into other states.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

i was laughing  :lol:
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

I will miss Tin Star.  I really liked the food, and the concept.  Maybe if it had been closer to the cinemas...
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

nativeomahan wrote:I will miss Tin Star.  I really liked the food, and the concept.  Maybe if it had been closer to the cinemas...
It needed to be closer to 114th and Dodge or downtown, or anywhere else there were actual professionals employed during the day.  People heading to VP were NOT heading there for buffet style dining.  It was great food, but horrible selection of location.

-Big E
Stable genius.
djc311
Parks & Recreation

Post by djc311 »

nativeomahan wrote:I will miss Tin Star.  I really liked the food, and the concept.  Maybe if it had been closer to the cinemas...
It was about 500 feet from a cinema. How much closer would it have had to be? Paying $35 sq.ft. is tough - even on chains and franchises...
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

I think it was just an issue of there being too many restaurants at Village Pointe. It seems like there are as many restaurants as retailers.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Big E wrote:
It needed to be closer to 114th and Dodge or downtown, or anywhere else there were actual professionals employed during the day.  People heading to VP were NOT heading there for buffet style dining.  It was great food, but horrible selection of location.

-Big E
Did you ever go there?  This was no where near buffet style dining.  Quick casual yes, but what is your definition of buffet style, not this I hope.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

nebugeater wrote:
Big E wrote:

-Big E
Did you ever go there?  This was no where near buffet style dining.  Quick casual yes, but what is your definition of buffet style, not this I hope.
Sorry, buffet wasn't the right word.  I did eat there, and the food was god.  I just don't think VP is the type of place people want to go and fill their own sodas.  It reminded me of ordering at a Panera.

-Big E
Stable genius.
hockeyfan
New to the Neighborhood

Post by hockeyfan »

So I just got word that the "Letter Club" closed its doors last night.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

See... bad karma man.

Assuming this didn't come from someone who's been reading this forum.
djc311
Parks & Recreation

Post by djc311 »

Just for the heck of it, I tried calling their number now - it rang 5 times and went to an answering machine - yes, definitely an answering machine. And, the outgoing message was that pre-recorded |expletive| you would have heard on a tape answering machine 20 years ago. No mention of the number called or who it was I called.

I can't believe they shut down! That was a huge bill for that location. And, knowing at least one of the "investors" involved, I'm surprised they didn't simply throw $$$ into it for at least 3-4 years to try it out. There were definitely some big bucks associated with the place.

Maybe if the football team was playing worth a darn, they'd been busier??? :)
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

djc311 wrote:Just for the heck of it, I tried calling their number now - it rang 5 times and went to an answering machine - yes, definitely an answering machine. And, the outgoing message was that pre-recorded |expletive| you would have heard on a tape answering machine 20 years ago. No mention of the number called or who it was I called.

I can't believe they shut down! That was a huge bill for that location. And, knowing at least one of the "investors" involved, I'm surprised they didn't simply throw $$$ into it for at least 3-4 years to try it out. There were definitely some big bucks associated with the place.

Maybe if the football team was playing worth a darn, they'd been busier??? :)
I ate their once, a month or so ago, and surprisingly had a very good melt sandwich.  I do think it was a bad location for a sports bar, as no one really goes to VP to go sit in a bar and watch TV.

I hope someone takes over the place and can make a go of it.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

West Omaha loses 3 eateries

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=1 ... d=10154855
Three west Omaha restaurants have closed in the last two weeks, raising questions about restaurant sustainability in the city, or at least in one part of it.

The biggest of the bunch was the Scarlet and Cream Letter Club, a free-standing Husker sports-themed restaurant started by local businessmen and former Huskers in 2006. It closed Tuesday, according to one of its managers and a spokeswoman for the Village Pointe shopping center near 168th Street and West Dodge Road, where it was situated.

Aunt Emma's, a small, family-style restaurant near 178th Street and West Center Road, closed for good Sunday, according to a man who answered the phone there Wednesday morning. Owner Jerry Slusky did not return phone calls Wednesday.

And Tin Star, a small, quick-casual Southwestern eatery at Village Pointe, closed Sept. 30, owner Greg Cutchall said.

Cutchall said the Texas-based restaurant concept wasn't performing as well in Omaha as in the southwestern part of the country. He said that's why he closed the Omaha location and is opening one in Dallas
Raraavis
Library Board

Post by Raraavis »

The person I talked to at Planet Sub blamed the poor access to their location as the primary reason they were closing and not necessarily the competition.  The strip mall they were in was inside Bakers parking lot and although they faced Center street you couldn't reach it from Center street.  Obviously the more competitive the environment the more important issues like that become.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Meh.  They weren't any less accessible from West Center than, say, Famous Dave's or Dairy Queen.  They seem to doing well.  I mean you could say the same thing about Baker's, Gordman's, etc.  All indicates are that Runza is doing fine... and they aren't even visible from West Center.
ThatGuy
Human Relations

Post by ThatGuy »

djc311 wrote: I can't believe they shut down! That was a huge bill for that location. And, knowing at least one of the "investors" involved, I'm surprised they didn't simply throw $$$ into it for at least 3-4 years to try it out. There were definitely some big bucks associated with the place.
The initial investors had a problem with a certain "somebody" that was siphoning money from what I hear. It was then sold to a guy who shouldn't be in charge of running A Denny's. At least that's what i have heard.

We went there when they first opened and enjoyed some good food and beers while watching a plethora of sports. Fast forward to this summer when we were there and they no longer had the sports package on tv and the menu was what you would see at a Sonic. It was only a matter of time.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Looks like a couple of open spots ae filling up at VP.  Along with the hedline anoucment they mention that My Compulsion and She's Smitten recently opened.

Upscale food seller Harry & David plans Village Pointe store

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=1 ... d=10183449

Harry & David, a fruit and fine food store, will open next year at Village Pointe Shopping Center.

An April opening is projected for the national chain, which will open a 3,500- square-foot corner store west of Jos. A. Bank.

Harry & David, founded in 1934, is the country's largest direct marketer of gourmet fruit and food gifts. The chain, based in Oregon, has 147 stores nationwide.
TechnicalDisaster
Parks & Recreation

Post by TechnicalDisaster »

I'm stoked about Harry & David's.  I go to the one in Kansas City every year on thanksgiving weekend.  It's kinda pricey (like the Omaha steaks of fruit) but the pears are awesome.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Anything more on Barnes and Noble at the old Wild Oats space?  I would think if they are going there they would want to be open for the holidays.  Seems too late for that now.

Greg
g-man430
New to the Neighborhood

Post by g-man430 »

Looks like the old Wild Oats location still looks the same as it did the day it shut down. Still no sign of Barnes and Noble yet. :(

A few shots of Village Pointe:

Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Thanks for sharing your photos g-man! Were you here on vacation from Greenville?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Not sure how much longer the Christmas Decor will be up but it could be a cool night shot.  I was thinking about it the other night when I went out there.
g-man430
New to the Neighborhood

Post by g-man430 »

Coyote wrote:Thanks for sharing your photos g-man! Were you here on vacation from Greenville?
Yes. :) My parents are originally from Omaha and I have many relatives that live there.