The Rozbeck: 2,000 seat concert/studio venue Downtown

Proposed Development Projects that got Minarded.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

DTO Luv
City Council

The Rozbeck: 2,000 seat concert/studio venue Downtown

Post by DTO Luv »

This is really exciting! From the people who brought you the Ranch Bowl, they are pleazed to the present...The Rozbeck Theater.

At the Rorick tonight two young guys shared their presentation to a group of residents about converting the old Ambassador's Worship Center into a music venue tentatively called The Rozbeck Theater. But us urbanistos decided that it's a cool name and we're sticking with it. :)

The timeline is City Council approval of parking permits in November followed by approval of the liquor license with a planned opening of next spring. Some national bands have already been booked for the planned Spring 2008 opening but they will be announced more towards the opening.

Here's some of the highlights of the presentation.

- A music venue that specializes in mid to larger size concerts and entertainment.

- Small performance space with a high class bar

- Diversity in acts from local groups, to national touring acts, rock, jazz, rap, all genres. It would also be available for other events like wedding and group meetings and art shows.  

- Recording Studio and rehearsal space

- Artist management and a record label

- State of the art sound

- Live recording (which they said was a big draw for bands who can walk away with a live, well made recording of their show)

- And one of my favorite parts of the project...SECURITY!!!!

The two guys live in the Rorick so they know what the neighborhood is like, what it's been like, and want to influence where it's going. They said one of the benefits of the project was increased police prescence in the area on concerts which I can attest to is sorely needed. There will be more traffic which means more people out on the streets which will make the more desirable elements on the street seek out a new place to settle.

Also another big plus is the arts that will be part of the project. There is a sculpture garden underway for the lawn shared by the church and mansion on the property.

On a personal note I can't express how truly exciting this is to see something like this get going from the ground up. We chatted for quite a while with the owners and the financial backing is in place, they support of the fanbase is in place. This venue is not going to be like any other in Omaha, including the new Slowdown over in North Downtown. Park East is on the move!
DTO
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

So is this Larry Richling's project still?  or someone else now?

http://eomahaforums.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=4938

Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I did not hear that name mentioned.
DTO
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

One good thing to note is they seamed quite confident with the financial backing.  They where most concerned about the parking and other small issues such a liquor licenses.  Which we all know are small hurdles when it comes to a project this size.
15-17, 26, 32
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

2,000 seats?  That can't be up to fire code...
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

--William Jennings Bryan
Vince Furlong
Home Owners Association

Post by Vince Furlong »

A starter idea....thanks to those who are thinking about positive uses for vacant space.

Hopefully they are considering having the space open and functioning Monday-Sunday in the 8AM to 5PM day parts.

Vince Furlong
OMAHA MAIN STREETS
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I asked about day time uses and they said it's planned on but might not happen right at first.
DTO
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

icejammer wrote:2,000 seats?  That can't be up to fire code...
Yeah maybe.  But no one follows those rules.
15-17, 26, 32
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

So would this give omaha a "music scene"?  Finally?....
15-17, 26, 32
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

MTO wrote:
icejammer wrote:2,000 seats?  That can't be up to fire code...
Yeah maybe.  But no one follows those rules.
You are not serious...  The Fire department strictly enforces rules in Omaha.
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

Here's the real deal. They said Sokal's listed capacity is somewhere around 750 they thought. There has been shows there with 1200-1500 easy. They are hoping for a listed capacity of 900-1000. Do the math on "overflow" crowds. That said, I'm all for this new venue, it sounds like they have a great plan for it.
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

This sounds awesome, what building is this again?  Anyone have a picture?
Admin
Law Enforcement

Post by Admin »

OmahaJaysCU wrote:This sounds awesome, what building is this again?  Anyone have a picture?
Just look 10 post back to Stargazer's picture.
Last edited by Admin on Fri Oct 12, 2007 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
laserdisque
Home Owners Association

Post by laserdisque »

This sounds like it is not only going to be really effing awesome, but also a great addition to a neighborhood that can use new investment.
Beach Dad
DonutStopLover
Home Owners Association

Post by DonutStopLover »

This sounds AWESOME!!!!

I see tons of concerts so I love seeing another venue go up in Omaha.  We need some more quality places.  

On a side note Sokol auditorium and the downstairs need remodeling so bad.  Its a shame they have let those places become so crappy.
ThatGuy
Human Relations

Post by ThatGuy »

DonutStopLover wrote:
On a side note Sokol auditorium and the downstairs need remodeling so bad.  Its a shame they have let those places become so crappy.
I actually like the dinginess. To me it adds to the experience. Anyway, I see a ton of shows too. Just last night we saw Wilco at the Orpheum and then Dr. Dog at the Waiting Room. I'm not so sure there is a need for this new venue and doubt it gets off the ground. I wish them luck, but I don't see it happening.

Who are the guys that made the presentation and why did they make it at the Rorick?
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I can't find the card they gave me with their names but the future operaters of the place live at the Rorick too. They have to do neighborhood presentations since it will be getting a liquor license. They just have to make sure no one opposes.

They really seemed to think the project was a go. The investors are there, it's been in the works for quite awhile it seems and all that they're waiting for now is City Council approval for the liquor license and parking permits.
DTO
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Chad Rozniecki and Brandon Rubeck
Circadian Entertainment
15-17, 26, 32
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

This  sounds great.  The Leavenworth/St. Mary's corridor connecting Park East and Downtown has SOOOO much potential, and this sounds like a fantastic project.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

To further expand on the recordings thing.  They plan on having HD cameras throughout the place and use Pro Tools to produce videos.  One thing I think that will inevitably come to mind is Omaha City Limits...  I jokingly mentioned that out loud at the meeting hopefully that may have planted a seed.
15-17, 26, 32
Fnord Explorer
Home Owners Association

Post by Fnord Explorer »

MTO wrote:So would this give omaha a "music scene"?  Finally?....
What is the definition of a "music scene" and what does that have to do with a venue?

As a musician I'm always certainly happy to see more options but I have to wonder how successful of a venture it could be.  Having rehearsal spaces in the place will certainly offer something this city has been lacking, but a 2,000-seat venue is going to have a rough time making a profit in this town.  There are dozens of music venues in this city and very few local acts can fill those, and most of them are 200-and-under capacity.  A midsize venue for national acts would be a plus, but a lot of people sidestep Omaha on their tours anyway.

The problem is that people in this city just don't go to shows.  It could be oversaturation, it could economic, it could be that we don't have a major university here,  it could be a lot of factors, but I don't think adding another big venue is going to magically fix it. Omaha HAS a music scene (or, more accurately, has a few smaller music scenes) it just doesn't have much of an audience outside of the fellow musicians themselves.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Fnord Explorer wrote: Having rehearsal spaces in the place will certainly offer something this city has been lacking, but a 2,000-seat venue is going to have a rough time making a profit in this town.  There are dozens of music venues in this city and very few local acts can fill those, and most of them are 200-and-under capacity.  A midsize venue for national acts would be a plus, but a lot of people sidestep Omaha on their tours anyway.

One thing I forgot to mention is that their will actually be two different stages in the place. The larger one will be upstairs and a smaller one will be in the basement of the church but I don't remember how big that place is. Its only a couple hundred I know that.

Part of the reason that a lot of shows bypass us is that we don't have a venue this size. They are really hoping to capitalize on bands taking the routes from Denver to Minneapolis, KC to Minneapolis and other routes that cross Omaha.
DTO
Fnord Explorer
Home Owners Association

Post by Fnord Explorer »

DTO Luv wrote:
Fnord Explorer wrote: Having rehearsal spaces in the place will certainly offer something this city has been lacking, but a 2,000-seat venue is going to have a rough time making a profit in this town.  There are dozens of music venues in this city and very few local acts can fill those, and most of them are 200-and-under capacity.  A midsize venue for national acts would be a plus, but a lot of people sidestep Omaha on their tours anyway.

One thing I forgot to mention is that their will actually be two different stages in the place. The larger one will be upstairs and a smaller one will be in the basement of the church but I don't remember how big that place is. Its only a couple hundred I know that.

Part of the reason that a lot of shows bypass us is that we don't have a venue this size. They are really hoping to capitalize on bands taking the routes from Denver to Minneapolis, KC to Minneapolis and other routes that cross Omaha.
Well, we still have Sokol Hall, in that sense.  Personally, I think a lot of bands bypass Omaha merely on the principle that, despite being touted as some indie-rock mecca, it isn't a live-music town.  I think addressing that issue would be paramount before dropping yet another music venue in Omaha.  I suspect part of the issue is oversaturation and the other part is lack of a centralized "entertainment district".  The latter problem has been somewhat addressed with the crop of music venues in Benson, but since I don't have the numbers about how well all those places are doing collectively, I can't say if it has been successful yet.  

Since I have moved here I still stand by my assessment that NYC is the city that never sleeps and Omaha is the city that goes to bed early.
DonutStopLover
Home Owners Association

Post by DonutStopLover »

ThatGuy wrote:
DonutStopLover wrote:
I actually like the dinginess. To me it adds to the experience. Anyway, I see a ton of shows too. Just last night we saw Wilco at the Orpheum and then Dr. Dog at the Waiting Room. I'm not so sure there is a need for this new venue and doubt it gets off the ground. I wish them luck, but I don't see it happening.

Who are the guys that made the presentation and why did they make it at the Rorick?
Was there a lot of people at that Dr. Dog concert??? Those guys rock.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Fnord Explorer wrote:The problem is that people in this city just don't go to shows.
You're joking, right?
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Fnord Explorer
Home Owners Association

Post by Fnord Explorer »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:
Fnord Explorer wrote:The problem is that people in this city just don't go to shows.
You're joking, right?
I'm completely serious.  Unless you are talking about big acts that sellout even if they play in some village in Nigeria, show attendance overall is fairly lackluster.
samizdat
New to the Neighborhood

Post by samizdat »

Keep in mind the amount of shows that take place on a normal night in little ol' Omaha. We have so many established and relatively new venues. Let's make a list:
The Waiting Room
Sokol Underground
Sokol Ballroom
Slowdown
Oleaver's
Mick's
The Scottish Rite
The Orpheum
Barley Street Tavern
The Foundry
P.S. Collective
Ted & Wally's (I mean we have shows in Ice Cream shops!)
Countless little coffee shops and bars
Countless House Shows
The Rozbeck Theatre!

There are so many great options for the typical concert goer in our little ol' burg and attendance is usually pretty darn good too. There are some cases that an unknown can slip through the cracks, but you know.
I have lived in many places, but I must say that Omaha has one of the best scenes outside of the typical music capitals, i.e. Portland, Austin, etc...
Also, these towns are usually much bigger. The only place I can think of in the midwest that is smaller, but may beat us out for SOME shows is Lawrence.
Thanks to One% and the like, we have a lot of options, and I think we generally support them pretty well.
So complaining about it is just bitching about nothing. The only solution is to book and promote a show yourself. And, It's not like you don't have anywhere for it to take place.

-Samizdat.
Fnord Explorer
Home Owners Association

Post by Fnord Explorer »

Heck, that doesn't even scratch the surface of how many places play live music here.

Which is what I meant by oversaturation.  Though, once you get west of 72nd street you tend to see fewer "shows" and more "bands serving as background music for pool and darts".
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

If you go to a show west of 72nd street then you need to be |expletive| slapped.  And you know why.
15-17, 26, 32
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

At the meeting they also mentioned that on one saturday night not to long ago there was at least 30,000 people in Omaha attending concerts.
15-17, 26, 32
omahastylee459
Parks & Recreation

Post by omahastylee459 »

MTO wrote:If you go to a show west of 72nd street then you need to be |expletive| slapped.  And you know why.
:roll:
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

I would agree with Fnord that this venue isn't really needed right now. Two GREAT new venues just opened that are roughly the same size as this place ( the Waiting Room and the Slowdown... and the Slowdown is one of the best mid-sized venues in the country...sorry to people who don't like indie rock, because the sound system is crystal clear and the sight lines are amazing), and now there are just so many great shows every night that people are having to choose one over the other.

They should wait for at least a year and more likely two before opening this place...they need to let the live music going audience get used to seeing 3+ shows a week. That's the only way all these great venues are going to survive.

That being said, I haven't been to a show that wasn't near capacity in 4 or 5 months.

Fnord- who are you/what band are you in?
ThatGuy
Human Relations

Post by ThatGuy »

DonutStopLover wrote:
Was there a lot of people at that Dr. Dog concert??? Those guys rock.
When we arrived there were probably 25 people there. However, a Wilco ticket stub got you in the door free and when we left at 12:30 it was a pretty good sized crowd.

I didn't care much for Dr. Dog, but Appollo Sunshine was great.
ThatGuy
Human Relations

Post by ThatGuy »

Swift wrote: That being said, I haven't been to a show that wasn't near capacity in 4 or 5 months.

Evidently you and I are going to different shows. I've been to plenty over the last few months that were nowhere near capacity. Obviously bands like Built to Spill and Silversun Pickups at Slowdown are going to be full, but hit a few shows at Sokol or the waiting room and you will see what I'm talking about. One that stands out in my mind is the Aqueduct/What Made Milwaukee Famous show at Sokol Underground. It was an awesome show and there was seriously more band members there than ticket holders.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

ThatGuy wrote:
Swift wrote: That being said, I haven't been to a show that wasn't near capacity in 4 or 5 months.

Evidently you and I are going to different shows. I've been to plenty over the last few months that were nowhere near capacity. Obviously bands like Built to Spill and Silversun Pickups at Slowdown are going to be full, but hit a few shows at Sokol or the waiting room and you will see what I'm talking about. One that stands out in my mind is the Aqueduct/What Made Milwaukee Famous show at Sokol Underground. It was an awesome show and there was seriously more band members there than ticket holders.
Well, there's your problem!  You're going to crappy shows!  :lol:  :;):

I was also wondering what band you're in, Fnord.
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

ThatGuy wrote:

Any show at Sokol Undergound is going to be pulling fewer people for a while, the new-car smell isn't even off of the Waiting Room or Slowdown. A lot of people are just going to those venues because they are new.

There's just a lot more competition in this market right now, which is why I think they should wait a  year or two before building this venue (the rehearsal space is sorely needed though). I was at a sold out show at the PS Collective last Friday, but then some people  walked over from the Waiting Room saying there was only 20-30 people there.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

On one hand this venue isn't needed right now and on the other hand Omaha doesn't have a music scene......... hmmmmmmm
15-17, 26, 32
Fnord Explorer
Home Owners Association

Post by Fnord Explorer »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote: I was also wondering what band you're in, Fnord.
That would be telling.   :;):

And really, I don't want to bring that slant into this conversation anyway.  I go to plenty of shows that DON'T involve me playing and, unfortunately, I see the same attendance at those places as well (though I will control for the fact that I won't ever be at a show west of 72nd unless I'm *shudder* playing there).

30,000 concert-goers in Omaha?  I'd like to know exactly what that stat entails.  Are we talking people who go to big shows at the Qwest Center?  Are we talking local bands?  Original bands?  DJs? Cover bands?  Are we talking people who go out to shows once a month?  Once a year?  That seems a generous number for people who go to shows on a regular (i.e. at least once a week) basis.  I could be wrong on that, but if that is an accurate weekly stat, then oversaturation of venues is DEFINITELY the issue at hand here, and why we probably don't need another at this time.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

"30,000" I'm sure it was the night of Elton John..  Add all the venues up and it seams realistic doesn't it?
15-17, 26, 32
nebport5
Planning Board

Post by nebport5 »

DTO, its spring 2008 any update on this???