Omaha Metro Area's Best BBQ

Omaha's dining, arts and music scene

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

nativeomahan
County Board

Omaha Metro Area's Best BBQ

Post by nativeomahan »

I LOVE authentic barbeque.  Omaha has a dearth of places to find hardwood smoked brisket, pulled pork, and chicken.  My top 10 places are all out of state.  So I am looking forward to trying this place out west.  Most great BBQ pits are, well, pits.  This place does not sound like it has much of a hardscrabble background.

As immediate past president of the Greater Omaha Barbeque Society, I am always looking for someplace new and good to try.  I will try to get out to Doc & Eddie's and let ya know how it stacks up.
DonutStopLover
Home Owners Association

Post by DonutStopLover »

nativeomahan wrote:I LOVE authentic barbeque.  Omaha has a dearth of places to find hardwood smoked brisket, pulled pork, and chicken.  My top 10 places are all out of state.  So I am looking forward to trying this place out west.  Most great BBQ pits are, well, pits.  This place does not sound like it has much of a hardscrabble background.

As immediate past president of the Greater Omaha Barbeque Society, I am always looking for someplace new and good to try.  I will try to get out to Doc & Eddie's and let ya know how it stacks up.
What are some of your omaha favorites???

Ive heard good things about jims rib shack.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

DonutStopLover wrote:
What are some of your omaha favorites???

Ive heard good things about jims rib shack.
I think we had this conversation before....  But are you talking about "Jim's Rib Haven"?
Jim's Rib Haven
(402) 451-8061
3801 Ames Ave Omaha, NE 68111-2236

I burned down and I am not sure if they have re-opened yet.  The food is awesome!  I have never eaten there only had take out, so I don't know about the service.

I also Like Amarillo in Bellevue.
Omababe
Planning Board

Speaking of BBQ?

Post by Omababe »

I'm posting this over here instead of following the original thread since it's in "suburban" and this ain't suburbs. :)

What do you people think of the Smoke Pit downtown?

I like it, personally.

Whenever I mention this, it seems like people either love it dearly or hate it with a passion.

It's a different kind of BBQ, they say it's Italian, and the ribs remind me very much of the ribs at Barnelli's in Chicago. It's different than you find at most places around here, and that might be why some don't like it, the sauce is kind of sweet and tart and definitely tomato-based.

It seems to be a one of a kind place and an almost one of a kind style of BBQ.

They seem to do a good business whenever I've been in there, so I have a feeling there's a strong regular crowd down there. It also seems like there are cops eating there whenever I've been there.

Any opinions?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I need to Qualify my statement....

I have never been there before 1 am, and Have not been there in almost a decade.....

With that said, it was good.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

I love the Smoke Pit.

But Amarillo is the best barbeque I've ever had.  Ever.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
wbrook twr
Home Owners Association

Post by wbrook twr »

Jim's Rib Haven has reopened.  Before I moved downtown that's where I always bought rib tips, now I get them at Famous Dave's.  The Smoke-Pit can be great or OK.  Sunday I got the chicken and the breast portion was dry (sauce was good but didn't alleviate the dryness).  I've also had some sauce there that was more tomato than BBQ. Skeet's used to be my favorite but it got to be hit or miss, mostly miss.  It's been years since I've had Skeet's.  I need to get back to Jim's, good food reasonable prices.
ThatGuy
Human Relations

Post by ThatGuy »

Jim's is by far and away my favorite, but let's face it...Omaha is a really bad BBQ town. Why is McKenna's not on this list? I find it to be much better than many of the places listed.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:I love the Smoke Pit.

But Amarillo is the best barbeque I've ever had.  Ever.
Amarillo is very good, but kind of out of the way.

Famous Dave's is good too, I remember them from MSP long before they were here, but they are a chain and you can get them almost anywhere now. I even saw one in Las Vegas.

BBQ is sooooo subjective!
Ben
Human Relations

Post by Ben »

Harkeet's - Center St at about 46th.  Its not much for ambiance (its really a take out joint with a couple of tables), but has some of the best BBQ around.  In my experience, the crappier the look and location of a BBQ joint, the better the food.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Big Horn Mountain Barbecue

(402) 934-7427
2524 S 13th St, Omaha, NE 68108

Every try this place?  It is about two blocks N of I80.  Absolutely great featherbone's  Some of the best sauce around.  Atmosphere rates a 0.5.  IT is an old converted gas stations /convenience store.  Packed at lunch all the time but not sure what the crowd is like other times.You would probably not stop driving by but give it a try.

Couple of reviews on Yahoo

http://local.yahoo.com/details?fr=dd-lo ... SU3Xz9mDg-
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

McKenna's and Harkeet's have been added to the Poll.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

How about Boyd & Charlie's BBQ

They are in Omaha (Elkhorn) and deserving of a poll spot.  They would get my vote for one of the better overall  experiences.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

nebugeater wrote:How about Boyd & Charlie's BBQ

They are in Omaha (Elkhorn) and deserving of a poll spot.  They would get my vote for one of the better overall  experiences.
I need the Admin to change the setting in the Admin Control Panel to allow more poll options, then I can.
Admin
Law Enforcement

Post by Admin »

Brad wrote:I need the Admin to change the setting in the Admin Control Panel to allow more poll options, then I can.
OK - I just changed the Max number of poll options from 10 to 15.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Admin wrote:
Brad wrote:I need the Admin to change the setting in the Admin Control Panel to allow more poll options, then I can.
OK - I just changed the Max number of poll options from 10 to 15.
Thanks, its added.

By The Way....  You are all killing me right now.  Its 11am and I am CRAVING BBQ!   THANKS.
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

Dreamland ruined all other barbeque for me.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

A new one is opening:
Omaha World Herald wrote:Hartland Bar-b-que is opening Monday at 5402 Northwest Radial. Owner Tim Hart ran a catering business of the same name for about three years. His new restaurant will offer a variety of smoked meats and Hart's specialty: dry-rubbed, smoked beef brisket. The restaurant will be open for lunches and dinners Mondays through Saturdays.
nativeomahan
County Board

Re: Speaking of BBQ?

Post by nativeomahan »

Omababe wrote:I'm posting this over here instead of following the original thread since it's in "suburban" and this ain't suburbs. :)

What do you people think of the Smoke Pit downtown?

I like it, personally.

Whenever I mention this, it seems like people either love it dearly or hate it with a passion.

It's a different kind of BBQ, they say it's Italian, and the ribs remind me very much of the ribs at Barnelli's in Chicago. It's different than you find at most places around here, and that might be why some don't like it, the sauce is kind of sweet and tart and definitely tomato-based.

It seems to be a one of a kind place and an almost one of a kind style of BBQ.

They seem to do a good business whenever I've been in there, so I have a feeling there's a strong regular crowd down there. It also seems like there are cops eating there whenever I've been there.

Any opinions?
Smoke Pit - Great atmosphere.  Mediocre food.  BBQ it ain't!  Rule of thumb:  if meat falls off the bone, it ain't barbeque.  It is boiling, or grilling, or baking, but not hardwood smoked Q.

My favorite barbeque places...all within an easy "day trip" for Omahans...include LC's in KC, MO, Fiorella's Smoke Stack, in metro KC, Smoke House, at Zona Rosa (NoKC), Gates (metro KC), Rosedale BBQ (KC), Haywards (OP, KS), and Mustard's, if they are still open, in Des Moines.  Plus my back yard.
Omababe
Planning Board

Re: Speaking of BBQ?

Post by Omababe »

As I said, BBQ is sooooo subjective! One's meat is another's poison, literally!
nativeomahan wrote:Smoke Pit - Great atmosphere.
For a BBQ joint, the setting is not too bad. It's far from the worst, and a great place to people-watch! In my not so humble opinion, it's gone up a few notches, class-wise, since they closed the trashy bar next door! (One friend of mine insists that the true owner of the place is serving time in the joint.)
Mediocre food.  BBQ it ain't!  Rule of thumb:  if meat falls off the bone, it ain't barbeque.
Now this is where we may have to agree to disagree. My definition of great BBQ is where the meat is tender and yes, tends to not stick to the bones like super glue! That's what I like and it may or may not be what  you like. If we all liked the same things, the world would be a very boring place! :)

I've taken people to Smoke Pit and had them exclaim that they are the best ribs they ever had. Likewise, I've had some "this {s-bomb} is barbeque for yankees!" and such.

Smoke Pit is not, by any means, Kansas City BBQ, which seems to be what people in Omaha are familiar with and tend to prefer.

KC BBQ can be good too, but it's a totally different type of cuisine!
My favorite barbeque places...all within an easy "day trip" for Omahans...include LC's in KC, MO, Fiorella's Smoke Stack, in metro KC, Smoke House, at Zona Rosa (NoKC), Gates (metro KC), Rosedale BBQ (KC), Haywards (OP, KS), and Mustard's, if they are still open, in Des Moines.  Plus my back yard.
I've been to some of these. The original Bryant's in KC (haven't been there in years) used to have great ribs, but I've had people refuse to go there because of the neighborhood. They had photos of presidents and celebrities on the wall, so it can't be that bad! :) Order right at the pit. Fries came in a paper cup!

I love Gates' sliced beef! Their ribs, however,  remind me of Tad's ribs. (If you don't know what that is, don't worry! It's not a compliment!) :)

Haywards is good overall, but I haven't been there for several years either.

I have been to the Fiorellas on the southeast side recently. Yes, the meat comes off the bones easily. :) At least mine did. :)

Oh well ... :)
wbrook twr
Home Owners Association

Post by wbrook twr »

I wasn't impressed with Gate's ribs either.  Had always heard so much about them and was disappointed when I finally tasted them.  Truth be told at that time I thought Skeet's was better than Gate's.  
My all time favorite was Frank's in Waterloo (East), IA.  This is where I first had rib tips too many years ago.  On one occasion we had to make a hasty retreat when a customer grabbed Frank's cleaver from the counter planning to chop some body part off of her boyfriend.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

wbrook twr wrote:Truth be told at that time I thought Skeet's was better than Gate's.
Ya know, I've lived here over 25 years now, and I've never been to Skeets! I keep hearing about it, but just never got there.

I kind of assume they are somewhat Kansas City style, right?

How are the ribs?

I see they aren't listed on the choices above.

I've noticed that Famous Daves has pulled ahead of all of the others at this time, but there's very little discussion of them. Did people vote for Daves because they are most familiar with them, maybe?
My all time favorite was Frank's in Waterloo (East), IA. ... On one occasion we had to make a hasty retreat when a customer grabbed Frank's cleaver from the counter planning to chop some body part off of her boyfriend.
Uh, lemme guess. Her name is Bobbit? (Bobbitt?) :) LOL! :)
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Looks like there's a new BBQ joint under development at that new retail center in front of 24 Hour Fitness at 144th and F.

Can't recall what the name was though.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Stargazer wrote:Looks like there's a new BBQ joint under development at that new retail center in front of 24 Hour Fitness at 144th and F.

Can't recall what the name was though.
Dickey's BBQ, out of Texas.  www.dickeys.com
"DICKEY'S is the fastest growing barbecue brand in America. We are working to double our size in one year."

Well, ain't that sweet.  No mention of the QUALITY of their food, just that they are gonna expand and expand until they cain't no more.

I am always a bit skeptical about "chain" BBQ restaurants.  Famous Daves' isn't bad, but generally speaking good barbeque shouldn't be franchised...at least not all over the place.  It is difficult to maintain consistency if your pit master doesn't know what he or she is doing.  It ain't like McDonald's or Applebee's where it is "cook by numbers."

Time will tell whether they have what it takes.  They open in January.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

I am so embarrassed.  No, not about (deleted), or about (deleted).   I'm blushing 'cause I forgot to share the name of my current favorite BBQ joint.  B.B. Lawnside BBQ, 85th & Troost, a few miles south of the Country Club Plaza.  It has everything a great BBQ joint needs to have.  1.  A name with a hook; 2. Located in a bit of a "dicey" neighborhood; 3. Featuring picnic style long tables, so you sit with people you have never met...a great way to meet new friends; and 4. Great live blues acts several nights a week.  Oh, and really good barbeque, and a full Cajun menu (from gumbo and crawfish tails to Louisiana Goulash).  

http://www.bbslawnsidebbq.com/
wbrook twr
Home Owners Association

Post by wbrook twr »

Skeet's used to be the place for ribs in North Omaha, it's on N 24th St across from Bryant Center.  Ribs were meaty on white bread loaded with sauce.  I never tried the hot sauce on them-I like their smoky sweet regular sauce.  Used to have to stand in line on the weekends after going to the bar and the after hours clubs. Nothing like the morning after "dragon" from drinking and eating Skeet's ribs!  I'll have to swing by again and give them a try.

I like Dave's because the ribs and rib tips remind me of what I had from Frank's and Skeet's (when they were the stuff!).  Love the cornbread and bread pudding too!  My daughter took Famous Dave's back to Boise and her friends went crazy for it.  They have to go to Utah or Oregon (can't remember which) to get Famous Dave's. It's also nice to sit and enjoy your meal.  Most rib joints in the hood have minimal seating space if any at all.
ThatGuy
Human Relations

Post by ThatGuy »

wbrook twr wrote: My daughter took Famous Dave's back to Boise and her friends went crazy for it.  
I for one find that hilarious. I picture a bunch of white chicks in Idaho raving about Minnesota chain BBQ.
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

nebugeater wrote:Big Horn Mountain Barbecue

(402) 934-7427

Every try this place?  It is about two blocks N of I80.  Absolutely great featherbone's  Some of the best sauce around.  Atmosphere rates a 0.5.  IT is an old converted gas stations /convenience store.  Packed at lunch all the time but not sure what the crowd is like other times.You would probably not stop driving by but give it a try.

-Is it still there?  I have been there a couple of times and enjoyed it.  However, I swear it was a Mexican place (and Goodrich, for some reason) the last time I drove by.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

joeglow wrote:
nebugeater wrote:Big Horn Mountain Barbecue

(402) 934-7427

-Is it still there?  I have been there a couple of times and enjoyed it.  However, I swear it was a Mexican place (and Goodrich, for some reason) the last time I drove by.
Yes it is still there.  Was there last week.  They have actually done some "improvements" over the last few months.  The case coolers from the old convenince store days are now removed.  

The Former Goodrich that you are tninking of is now a Mexican eating place.  It is down the street a bit.
wbrook twr
Home Owners Association

Post by wbrook twr »

ThatGuy wrote:
I for one find that hilarious. I picture a bunch of white chicks in Idaho raving about Minnesota chain BBQ.

Sorry, baby girl is Black, and so was her roomie :lol: .  But you're right her hubby and his family are White.  He lived here for awhile and they both miss the food back here.  They've got good Mexican food but Boise is lacking in the ribs department.
nativeomahan
County Board

New BBQ restaurant

Post by nativeomahan »

A new BBQ restaurant, Bones Brew & BBQ, will open in late November, where Boston's Pizza is now located.  Veteran Omaha chef Glen Wheeler will be in charge of the menu.  The specialties will include smoked brisket, ribs and pulled pork.  The restaurant will only be open for lunch on Fridays and Saturdays, but will be open for dinner nightly.  Because it is in LaVista, smoking will be allowed at one of the two bars in the restaurant, but not in the larger dining room, which will also feature a bar.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

As nativeomahan broke the news over a month ago we have a new BBQ joint to rate:

Bones Brew & BBQ open in former Boston's spot
Omaha World Herald wrote:Chef Glenn Wheeler and a childhood friend have opened Bones Brew & BBQ at 8045 S. 83rd Ave., in the former Boston's pizza place near 84th and Giles in La Vista. Wheeler, who still heads the kitchen of Liberty Tavern at the Hilton Omaha, said he and his Bones co-owner, John Davis, grew up in Michigan City, Ind., and have been cooking and barbecuing most of their lives.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Got a debug error when I hit post so I did it again.  Guess they both worked.  This was a duplicate post.
Last edited by nebugeater on Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

IF you never had the chance to try out Dickey's Barbecue Pit on 144th South of Industrial it looks like it is too late.  only open since around the first of the year per the OWH it has closed.  I was there a couple of times and it was decent.  Location was terrible though.  There is a sandwich place in the same area that cannot be doing good either.  Never been to it and not sure of the name right now.

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=3 ... d=10424143

Snuffed out, too?

The Omaha area's only Dickey's Barbecue Pit - opened in January at 14440 F St. - also seems to have closed.

Its phone rang unanswered, its address was no longer listed on the company Web site and the place was locked and dark during regular business hours this week.

A call to the chain's Dallas headquarters was not immediately returned.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

SmokeShack BBQ

Flavor's big at this little barbecue joint

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=3 ... d=10568458
NICHOLE AKSAMIT WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:Owners Kenny and Tammy Meyer, known to fellow barbecue competitors as the Smokin' Tailgators, have worked the competition circuit for about 12 years. Before opening the SmokeShack in Bellevue last August, they took home five grand championships and placed ninth in the Jack Daniels World Championship Invitational in 2007.

One whiff or taste of their hickory-smoked meats, and you'll know why.

The appropriately named restaurant — in an aging strip mall about a half-mile west of the Kennedy Freeway — seats about 16.

The menu is similarly small: ribs, brisket, pulled pork, chicken and a host of house-made sides.

There's just one sauce in ketchup-style squeeze bottles on the tables — a sweet but balanced house-made mild. (You can ask for a slightly hotter version.)

But this hole in the wall serves up big flavor.

My favorite dish from two recent visits — one dine-in, one takeout — was the ribs.

Though the menu describes them as St. Louis style — and that's the cut the Meyers started with — those I had were full spare ribs, with one small cylinder of bone and two little nubbins of cartilage nestled inside a rectangle of meat. Kenny Meyer later explained that he switched to spare ribs because they are meatier.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Right now for my money, it's Hartland BBQ in Benson for the city's best Que.
Bosco55David
Parks & Recreation

Best BBQ in Omaha?

Post by Bosco55David »

Time to get the discussion started.  :mrgreen:
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

that's tough.  I had some tasty stuff at a few of the big events, but i can't remember the names.  None were chains, however.  In CB, i've had a good couple, but they are not able to be considered, by definition ;)
Go Cubs Go
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Hartland in Benson is real good.  Other than that, head to KC where the Big Boys cook BBQ.
HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation

Post by HskrFanMike »

A few weeks ago, we tried Doc & Eddies.  The meats were ok by themselves, but they suffer from "Amarillo" disease - namely, we don't want to taste the meat, so let's throw a ridiculous amount of spices into our sauces to cover it up.  Likewise with their sausage, which ended up making everybody sick.

It's a nice place, and the brisket and pulled pork were just fine.  But the sauces and sausage were nuclear hot and pretty much inedible.  I think we ended up scraping off the sauce and going with sauce out of the refrigerator.