Omaha Area Schools

Visitors and Residents can ask Questions about Omaha here

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

cutiger89
New to the Neighborhood

Omaha Area Schools

Post by cutiger89 »

My family and I are considering relocating to Omaha and are looking for a top-notch public school system.  We have four kids, the oldest is currently in first grade.  From our research, appears Elkhorn and Millard are good districts, but we've heard stories that the Omaha District is looking to take those over.  First, does anyone have suggestions beyond Elkhorn and Millard for excellent public schools, and second, does anyone have any idea what possible impact a takeover by Omaha Schools would have on those districts?   Ideally we would prefer a neighborhood within walking/short distance to playgrounds, shops, etc. but that appears to be limited to District 66 and/or Dundee--the latter being in a school zone we know little about (did hear to avoid Central High) and the former has limited housing inventory.  Many thanks in advance for any suggestions or advice.
joeglow
Planning Board

Re: Omaha Area Schools

Post by joeglow »

cutiger89 wrote:My family and I are considering relocating to Omaha and are looking for a top-notch public school system.  We have four kids, the oldest is currently in first grade.  From our research, appears Elkhorn and Millard are good districts, but we've heard stories that the Omaha District is looking to take those over.  First, does anyone have suggestions beyond Elkhorn and Millard for excellent public schools, and second, does anyone have any idea what possible impact a takeover by Omaha Schools would have on those districts?   Ideally we would prefer a neighborhood within walking/short distance to playgrounds, shops, etc. but that appears to be limited to District 66 and/or Dundee--the latter being in a school zone we know little about (did hear to avoid Central High) and the former has limited housing inventory.  Many thanks in advance for any suggestions or advice.
Omaha won't take them over.  It has been settled.  

For public schools, there aren't really any districts that are across the board better.  You are better off looking at the schools individually.  For instance, we picked a neighborhood we liked in District 66 (Westside) and compared all the schools there and I was shocked to see the Millard schools we would use now (Rockwell, Anderson and Millard South) were close to or better performing than all the Westside schools.

Here is a great spot to check the performances:

http://reportcard.nde.state.ne.us/Main/Home.aspx

You can do comparisons of up to 5 schools at once:

http://reportcard.nde.state.ne.us/Analy ... 8-0017-020

http://tinyurl.com/2vffhb
Last edited by joeglow on Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ShawJ
Parks & Recreation

Post by ShawJ »

Ah, c'mon... I graduated form Central, and it's not too bad! If you want your child to grow up in a diversity rich environment, Centrals the place!  :lol:
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

Since your oldest is only in first grade I don't think you need to worry about what high school as of yet.  Plus the way things have been going the last couple of years, who knows what school options will be offered in the near future.  There are good schools in each of those districts.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I went to District 66 also known as Westside High school.  Its a GREAT school district small neighborhood elementary schools and a State of the Art High school and Middle school.  Centrally located in the heart of Omaha
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

As far as neighborhoods within walking distance of playgrounds, shops, etc, the Mockingbird neighborhood is a good choice.  Within about 6 blocks of my house is an elementary school (Ralston District), playground, community center, grocery store, pharmacy, gas station, bowling alley, two veterinarians, restaurants/fast food, various other shops and stores along 108th, or I can go to Applewood at 96th & Q and have an Alegent Health Clinic, blockbuster, other stores.  I think JSheets even used to live just a few blocks from me.
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

almighty_tuna wrote:As far as neighborhoods within walking distance of playgrounds, shops, etc, the Mockingbird neighborhood is a good choice.  Within about 6 blocks of my house is an elementary school (Ralston District), playground, community center, grocery store, pharmacy, gas station, bowling alley, two veterinarians, restaurants/fast food, various other shops and stores along 108th, or I can go to Applewood at 96th & Q and have an Alegent Health Clinic, blockbuster, other stores.  I think JSheets even used to live just a few blocks from me.
What part do you live in?  I grew up on 106th Ave and Mockingbird.
NDizona
Library Board

Post by NDizona »

ShawJ wrote:Ah, c'mon... I graduated form Central, and it's not too bad! If you want your child to grow up in a diversity rich environment, Centrals the place!  :lol:
and not learn how to read...or where Mexico is on the map.

JK

:twisted:

Creighton Prep

Go Junior Jays!
cutiger89
New to the Neighborhood

Post by cutiger89 »

Thanks to all for the information.  I'm visiting next week so looking forward to checking out some of the areas.  Thanks again.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

joeglow wrote:
almighty_tuna wrote:As far as neighborhoods within walking distance of playgrounds, shops, etc, the Mockingbird neighborhood is a good choice.  Within about 6 blocks of my house is an elementary school (Ralston District), playground, community center, grocery store, pharmacy, gas station, bowling alley, two veterinarians, restaurants/fast food, various other shops and stores along 108th, or I can go to Applewood at 96th & Q and have an Alegent Health Clinic, blockbuster, other stores.  I think JSheets even used to live just a few blocks from me.
That's just a couple blocks down the street!
Bugeater
Library Board

Post by Bugeater »

joeglow wrote:
Heh, 93rd & Mockingbird here, my parents bought the place new in 1968 and my mother still lives there to this day. It's still a very nice neighborhood, I would've liked to have bought a house in that area myself but there was just nothing available when I was looking.
jsheets
Human Relations

Post by jsheets »

almighty_tuna wrote:I think JSheets even used to live just a few blocks from me.
Yeah, we were just down the street around 105th & N, just behind the rec center.  Great neighborhood!
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Did anyone here grow up around 30th and Ames, Downtown, or 30th and L? I'm feeling kind of lonely here. :lol:
DTO
wbrook twr
Home Owners Association

Post by wbrook twr »

Most likely my daughters would have grown up close to your neighborhood!
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

DTO Luv wrote:Did anyone here grow up around 30th and Ames, Downtown, or 30th and L? I'm feeling kind of lonely here. :lol:
My Aunt & Uncle lived at 48th and Ames for decades.  Not sure if they still do though.
mattg
New to the Neighborhood

Post by mattg »

Dto do not feel left out. I was born in Illinois and schooled half my life there. When I moved here with my folks I attended Valley View. The kids going to Valley were real quick. I also lived at 32 and t area and went to Indian hills and graduated from Bryan High. In my own opinion Westside has better education. On the other hand I believe kids can excell in ops schools but I think the parents need to be involved. Anyway that is my opinion and I do not have kids of my own so take it with a grain of salt. peace out matt
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

DTO Luv wrote:Did anyone here grow up around 30th and Ames, Downtown, or 30th and L? I'm feeling kind of lonely here. :lol:
I think some guy I talked to at the Stephen Center "lived" around there.
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

jsheets wrote:
almighty_tuna wrote:I think JSheets even used to live just a few blocks from me.
Yeah, we were just down the street around 105th & N, just behind the rec center.  Great neighborhood!
jsheets has to live with the reality that I had been in his house multiple times.
Raraavis
Library Board

Post by Raraavis »

Omaha Public Schools is not a bad school district.  All of the OPS elementary schools in Northwest Omaha and a number of others around the district have test scores equal to the schools in Millard and Elkhorn.
2Adam29
Home Owners Association

Post by 2Adam29 »

I'm currently a Senior at Central, so I can say without a doubt that it's a great school. It has a beautiful history, and the mix of cultures is one of the most important lessons you can learn in life. I strongly recommend Central if you're looking for a quality public high school.
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

2Adam29 wrote:I'm currently a Senior at Central, so I can say without a doubt that it's a great school. It has a beautiful history, and the mix of cultures is one of the most important lessons you can learn in life. I strongly recommend Central if you're looking for a quality public high school.
And a 40% drop out rate!   :lol:
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

It's not about the ones who drop out but about the ones who stay in school.
DTO
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

I've actually heard nothing but good things about Central (apart from the 40% thing).

They're one of the best schools in the state when it comes to art and theater.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Swift wrote:They're one of the best schools in the state when it comes to art and theater.
You better be able to show an immediate economic payback on that art and theater or ND and joe will be throwing out statistics showing how creativity is adversely impacting their home values.

-Big E
Stable genius.
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

Big E wrote:
Swift wrote:They're one of the best schools in the state when it comes to art and theater.
You better be able to show an immediate economic payback on that art and theater or ND and joe will be throwing out statistics showing how creativity is adversely impacting their home values.

-Big E
No need.  I have already accepted the fact that government schools are a sinkhole that run on waste and inefficiency.  Unfortunately, we, as a nation, are more interested in playing partisan politics over them instead of the taking radical steps needed to improve them (even though the majority of the other 1st world countries show us what actually works).
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

I'd actually be kind of curious to hear your stance on the creative arts (visual, instrumental, choral, etc) in public schools.  There has to be more behind your thoughts than "sinkhole".

-Big E
Stable genius.
NDizona
Library Board

Post by NDizona »

I think it has less to do with the schools and more to do with the worthless parents.  The problem with the schools is that they waste money on kids that don't belong in high school.  I went to Creighton Prep and I will assure you there were plenty of idiots that graduated.  I know people that couldn't reason their way out of a paper bag that graduated from Central though...

If a highschool degree is worth as much as the dumbest person to have graduated - a degree from Central is toilet paper.  

with that said - a degree from Prep is 2 ply toilet paper...  But at least Creighton Prep idiot graduates have either lots of money or excellent athletic talent.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Which has exactly what to do with what I asked?
Stable genius.
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

Big E wrote:I'd actually be kind of curious to hear your stance on the creative arts (visual, instrumental, choral, etc) in public schools.  There has to be more behind your thoughts than "sinkhole".

-Big E
I think they are a luxury.  I have seen the studies that show people involved with liberal arts get better grades.  That said, the people I knew who took those programs did so more because they had involved parents who encouraged it.  Thus, I think the better grades have more to do with involved parents than the programs themselves.

I have no problem with schools offering courses in them AFTER they get their **** together on the subjects that will determine if they live in a house or outside DTO Luv's place.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

joeglow wrote:I have no problem with schools offering courses in them AFTER they get their **** together on the subjects that will determine if they live in a house or outside DTO Luv's place.
And out of further curiosity, exactly what classes determine whether one has their |expletive| together or not?

And to which of DTO's places are you referring?  North Omaha or Downtown Omaha?

-Big E
Stable genius.
NDizona
Library Board

Post by NDizona »

Which has exactly what to do with what I asked?
I wasn't responding to you

But if you need to hear the truth...The vast majority of high school graduates will need:

Algebra

Science

Economics

Finance

Typing/basic computer

1000X more than art or music.

In my perfect world - there would be one smaller high school that would be a magnet school for children that showed extreme interest or aptitude for music and art - they would learn math and science of course but the main focus would be on art.
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

Big E wrote: And out of further curiosity, exactly what classes determine whether one has their |expletive| together or not?
-Classes that allow them to function as a productive member of society:

Math
Science
Social Studies
History
etc.
Big E wrote:And to which of DTO's places are you referring?  North Omaha or Downtown Omaha?

-Big E
I was attempting to be facetious.
art-lover67
New to the Neighborhood

More school info, please

Post by art-lover67 »

Hi everyone!  I am moving to the Omaha area with 3 boys. Two are in High School.  I really like the curriculum and course offerings at North, but I'm worried about safety because there were mentions of gang activity. Does anyone have 1st hand knowledge of North who can speak to the safety issue?

Also, is it true they offer an international baccalaureate program there?
cutiger89
New to the Neighborhood

Post by cutiger89 »

Thanks for all of the additional opinions.  For now we are putting aside the question of whether Central High is sufficient (not going to get in the middle of that discussion) and focus on whether Harrison or Dundee elementary would work for us.  We are very interested in the Dundee/Memorial Park area so for the moment we are focusing our efforts on learning more about that part of town.
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

I think Central is a great high school if your child will be in mostly honor courses.  If they are in average classes, it is clear a large percentage of these students (40%???) are not too interested in being there and are likely to a disruption to EVERYONE in the class.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

cutiger89 wrote:Harrison or Dundee elementary would work for us.  We are very interested in the Dundee/Memorial Park area so for the moment we are focusing our efforts on learning more about that part of town.
If you can afford it, the Dundee, Happy Hollow, Memorial, Fairacres area has to be the absolute nicest of the older parts of the city! I know people in those areas, and it's everything from nice classic foursquares, to brick and stone castles, some brick and stucco Tudors in there, some postwar contemporaries, and -- :) -- I love the street lamps! :)

Bemis Park and Gold Coast are nice too, but ...
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

joeglow wrote:I think Central is a great high school if your child will be in mostly honor courses.
So where are your kids going? :dancing:

-Big E
Stable genius.
NDizona
Library Board

Post by NDizona »

Swift - heres the thing - I found out that Millard West (and I guess many other highschools) have added economics and business law to their electives.  In an age where we have idiots signing ARMs and contracts that they don't understand - I think its time we focused on teaching the next generation to be a little wiser than the one ahead of them.

As for your study - most of these types of studies are basically worthless.  Before I tell you why - let me tell you about the Cheerios study linking eating Cheerios to healthy bones and teeth...  You probably already guessed it was the milk causing the healthy bones and teeth - not the cheerios.

Same thing in your study - you have parents that are generally concerned and take an interest in their children's development with music - did the control group take an EQUAL interest in their children with something comparable like spelling or language?  These studies are worthless because the control group is almost never really a true control.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

I had a big long response typed up and decided to "not go there", but since Swift went there first, I might as well tag along.  In the grand scheme of being productive citizens, almost nothing you learn prior to graduating high school is relevant to your life beyond high school.  (I'm obviously not talking about the advanced placement people... this is the Average Joe we're talking about here.)

Finance:  If you can teach an 18 yr old the power of compound interest (and how to balance a checkbook), that's 99% of everything 99% of people will ever need to know about finances.

History:  I have had to unlearn everything I ever learned in a history class prior to college because of the sheer lunacy of the presentation.  Where did the Indians go after the first dinner with the pilgrims?  Straight to the casinos?

Math: After 7th grade algebra (yea, I took algebra in 7th grade, though guy), I learned absolutely nothing that is in practical use in my life today.  I learned absolutely no practical use of algebra while being taught algebra, for that matter.  

Science:  The single most important thing you an ever take from a science class is a thorough understanding of the scientific method.

Social Studies/Govt: If you can spell Unicameral, you pretty much have this one down.  I do think more emphasis should be put on how the govt works vs reciting dates and names.

Typing: Agreed, although I think we're about 5-7 years away from traditional keyboards being mostly obsolete.

I currently use more of the lessons and skills I learned in my "creative" classes than the rest of my education combined.  You can always add knowledge, but it is very difficult to teach people how to think.  Not a single one of the classes listed above ever dew a connection from one to the other, or taught any sort of deductive reasoning, and for the love of all that is holy do NOT think outside the box.

-Big E
Stable genius.
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

Big E wrote:
joeglow wrote:I think Central is a great high school if your child will be in mostly honor courses.
So where are your kids going? :dancing:

-Big E
Prep.  An even better school for honors students.