Pinnacle / Swanson Site (10th and Capitol)

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Absolutely the right concept.  

I hope we see a project just like that, although in all likelihood it would be about half that scale, but still awesome.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

something like this would be great too...

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=450431
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

i dig them both, though i would lean more towards the 2nd one.  I enjoy the retail, the restaurants that could accompany it, maybe a movie theater; that would add quite a bit of atmosphere, and would be excellent when coupled with wallstreet and the "proposed" tower by asset strategies.  Shoot, in about 5 years, Omaha could definitely be one heck of a skyline!  I get excited about all of this, i just hope they dont let me down!!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

The Mayor said that they are trying to purchas the last buildings so that when they release the RFP its the entire 2 blocks.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Where did you hear this? It's certainly good news though.
guitarguy
Parks & Recreation

Post by guitarguy »

i heard it on the grow omaha show from a week or so ago
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

DTO Luv wrote:Where did you hear this? It's certainly good news though.
The Grow Omaha Radio Program ( http://www.growomaha.com/archive.htm ) episode 202
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

i can't get it to pull up.  Forgive me, but i was a touch confused by the explanation so i'm going to make some sense of it.  When they release RFP for building 2, they want to have the entire swanson (2 blocks worth) to market to whomever would be interested in purchasing for whatever use, right?  Right.  so they are using the money from selling the RFP land, they will use it to buy the swanson land?  Is that the gist of it?  Were there anymore details besides that?  Like anyone interested, any leads on it, anything?  Is this Daub's prediction?  I'll try to see if the site will pull up again in a bit so i can edit out my retardation :)  Stupid IE...i should switch back to mozilla.
Go Cubs Go
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

thenewguy, I am not sure what you are saying but here is what will happen:

The city owns the Swanson Site

The city is trying to buy 2 buildings on that block so that they have the whole 2 block

Then the city will put out an RFP (request for Proposal)

Developers will submit their plans(proposals) and the city will choose one.  That developer will get to develop the site.
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

Brad wrote:The Mayor said that they are trying to purchas the last buildings so that when they release the RFP its the entire 2 blocks.
Man, i feel like a huuuuge dip |expletive|.  You have got to forgive me, i just automatically went to thinking RiverFrontPlace.  It all makes sense now, i'm just not as up and up on the acronyms and initialisms.  But yes, what you reiterated was what i was asking, and now that i am clear on which RFP it was, it makes sense.  It reeks of poo in here from that brain fart :;):
Go Cubs Go
Bomaha
Home Owners Association

Post by Bomaha »

you fool! :lol:
Maverick
Home Owners Association

Post by Maverick »

So it looks like this is just going to be a flat parking lot for the Qwest and Ballpark now?  What a waste.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Maverick wrote:So it looks like this is just going to be a flat parking lot for the Qwest and Ballpark now?  What a waste.
They have gone to great lengths to make sure they put, TEMPORARILY!  They have said many times that the site is too valuable long term for just parking!
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

they said most likely after putting in the temp lot that they'd be putting in a hotel with a garage that could be used.  Just an FYI to ya Maverick :P

--Goose.
Go Cubs Go
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

First vote on ballpark likely will be to demolish foods plant

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=2 ... d=10282513
Two Omaha City Council members said after meeting with Mayor Mike Fahey today that they'll have no problem saying yes on what's likely to be their first ballpark-related vote, demolishing a shuttered factory at 10th Street and Capitol Avenue.

Chuck Sigerson and Dan Welch said the city has to tear down the frozen-dinner plant with or without a new stadium downtown for the College World Series.

The council is likely to be asked later this spring to approve contracts to demolish the plant and build a parking lot as part of replacing parking that would be lost to ballpark construction on Qwest Center Omaha lots C and E.
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

Also from the World-Herald article....

"Asked about the frozen-food plant demolition, Gernandt said he'll oppose it, as well as any other contracts connected to the mayor's plan.

"Anything that's affiliated with a new downtown stadium, I will oppose," he said.'

What a fool, even without a ballpark, this piece of land is a key development site.
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Yesterday morning they had southbound 10th St closed off by the site and they had a crane, looked like maybe they were getting ready to take some stuff off the roof.
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

--William Jennings Bryan
NDizona
Library Board

Post by NDizona »

Once I learn Photoshop - I will be dangerous....very dangerous.
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

Nice.  I hope you can photoshop us a nice parking lot, because I have a feeling that is all this site will ever be.   :lol:
NDizona
Library Board

Post by NDizona »

Hope this helps
nebport5
Planning Board

Post by nebport5 »

that's kinda sad...how about photo-shopping an anchor hotel with a parking garage.
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

Easy, easy...  yeah, it sucks, but i think what people are forgetting is that they have already alluded to was that there have been plans for a hotel on that property already.  I can't remember if it was mayor Fahey or not that said it, but it was mentioned at a press conference that the parking lot would only be temprorary (like 2 or 3 years-ish-----brad or dto can correct me if i'm wrong, i think dto had a clip of him talking to stinson from that conference) and that they'd be redeveloping it into a hotel with ground level retail and a parking structure.  Don't forget that hyatt regency rumor we haven't heard much about lately :;):
Go Cubs Go
NDizona
Library Board

Post by NDizona »

nebport5 wrote:that's kinda sad...how about photo-shopping an anchor hotel with a parking garage.
I can only photoshop likely things...not fantasy world ideas.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Their likely just going to put text on the site? Sad.
DTO
stabone99
Home Owners Association

Post by stabone99 »

the1wags wrote:Also from the World-Herald article....

"Asked about the frozen-food plant demolition, Gernandt said he'll oppose it, as well as any other contracts connected to the mayor's plan.

"Anything that's affiliated with a new downtown stadium, I will oppose," he said.'

What a fool, even without a ballpark, this piece of land is a key development site.
That's so disappointing.  There's zero logic in that statement.  It's nothing but a political game at work.  Gernandt sounds plain ignorant even saying that.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

stabone99 wrote:

That's so disappointing.  There's zero logic in that statement.  It's nothing but a political game at work.  Gernandt sounds plain ignorant even saying that.
I thought he flipped on the Swanson site?
stabone99
Home Owners Association

Post by stabone99 »

Brad wrote:
stabone99 wrote:

I thought he flipped on the Swanson site?
He may have, I just didn't hear about it!  :mrgreen:
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

stabone99 wrote:He may have, I just didn't hear about it!  :mrgreen:
I think it was last week when the forum was broken.
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

Yes he has publicly changed his vote regarding the Swanson site since I posted that. Now we just need to work on him about his ballpark votes.  :;):
Ben
Human Relations

Post by Ben »

All this crying about the lost parking due to the Stadium site, and needing to turn Pinnacle into another lot, drives me nuts.  I can see lot A (The one to the southeast, closest to the riverfront) from my window.  Even during major events, like this weekend's NCAA basketball, this lot is no more than half full.  About the only time lot A get full use is when the rodeo comes to town and they put up tents/stables all over the place.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

About the only people i know that use lot a are the boosters of uno and creighton.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

I think it's ridiculous, too.  Things like the baseball stadium are opportunities to ELIMINATE surface parking downtown. To me, the most absurd idea is building something on a surface lot downtown, and coming out with a plan to REPLACE the surface lot.

Now, I understand the "value" of this sort of thing when it comes to appeasing stupid Omahans that don't understand how you can have a functioning downtown without places to park your car, but to me, this is an opportunity to show the need for comprehensive public transportation to and in Downtown.  At the very least, dense, multi-use parking structures should be in the plan, at least in a "phased" way.  

I'm not saying there can't be parking (au contraire).  I understand that, especially in Omaha, even Downtown, you have to provide for Joe Suburbanite who wants to drive his SUV to a Qwest event, park it, and walk no more than five minutes to get to the arena. I'm just saying that any parking DOWNTOWN should be in the form of multi-level garages with active street-level uses.

As far as Urban Development goes, there's no term more disgusting than "surface lot."
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
NDizona
Library Board

Post by NDizona »

Streets...Its more than just "replacing it with a surface lot" - its an opportunity to demolish the Swanson site and appease those arguing about parking - all part of a bigger plan.

If Omaha were to build parking garages now - it would cost around 10-25K/stall - probably more because the city pays too much for everything.

That's $$$ on top of the stadium, police pension, and sewer projects...

Financially this is not going to happen for quite a while.

Practically its just too much to expect Omahans to walk or ride the joke public transportation system.

Surface parking is a necessary evil if you expect a project to work downtown.  Rome wasn't built in a day.  Lets just focus on the DT stadium, killing this stupid recall election, and getting the bars open past 1 and I will join you on your quest to eliminate surface parking.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Dude.  I realize all of that.  Did you read my post?

I realize it's a "necessary evil."  I just wish they were clear that this is TEMPORARY.

And like I said, this is an opportunity to show the need for better public transportation and walkable neighborhoods.
NDizona
Library Board

Post by NDizona »

Dude?

Am i that old ....

Define temporary?

Im guessing at least 10 years - probably more.

As for public transportation - 4 generations maybe 5.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Ha.  Well, my estimations would be a LITTLE less conservative than that.  Definitely less than five years, for both.
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

Yeah 4, or 5 generations is laughable, but then again, so is 90% of what you post. :P

20 years at the very, very most until viable LRT happens.

10 years with Swansen as a lot could happen, but only if the economy slips from recession into a major depression (which I haven't heard any insinuations that this could happen). Aside from the the heck as slow demolition time, look at how quickly the UP sight went from nothing to something. And you know what they say about real estate: location, location, location. The Swanson sight is much more prominently located: between two of the biggest attractions in the state (OM and Qwest).
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

But it was just Easter Sunday. He got up don't you know?
DTO
NDizona
Library Board

Post by NDizona »

Word on the street is that the site will be turned into a 4 level parking garage with $12 event parking.

You heard it here first.
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

Word on the street is wrong.