Village Inn

Omaha's dining, arts and music scene

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Padre
Human Relations

Village Inn

Post by Padre »

The Village Inn on Saddlecreek and Dodge is closed.

When I first arrived here fifteen years ago, my predecessor asked if I would like to go to breakfast. I said sure, thinking it would help me to get to know the local restaurant scene. We went to that Village Inn, and he ordered a veggie omelet. The next day he asked again if I wanted to go to breakfast. I figured he wouldn't pick the same place twice, and said ok. We went right back to that Village Inn, and he had another veggie omelet! It was at that point that I realized I was on my own to find restaurants. We have not had breakfast together since.
garyomaha
Home Owners Association

Re: Village Inn

Post by garyomaha »

I belonged to a chorus that met every week at that Village Inn for post-rehearsal goodies. Sad to see that location close, which meant so much to so many.
Cermak
Parks & Recreation

Post by Cermak »

That’s to bad that location closed. I’ve always liked Village inn. No nonsense basic food. To me Village Inn’s and Perkins are very similar. Omaha had several Perkins years ago now it has none, except Carter lake.
lisanstan
Library Board

Post by lisanstan »

Well, that's a huge bummer. That's the Village Inn I go to.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

If I'm not mistaken that means two of them closed within the last little while. How many does that leave? I'm familiar with the 90th location, but having a hard time thinking of the others. I think there's one on south 108th. Was there/is there one at about 55th and L?
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

According to their website there are these locations

Omaha - Sorenson & 72
Omaha - 90th & Omaha
Omaha - 78th & Dodge
Omaha - 54th & L
Omaha - 108th Street
Omaha - 138th & Maple
Omaha - 180th & Center
Bellevue - Twin Creek
We are the people our parents warned us about.

Jimmy Buffett
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

There's one at 72nd. and {mumble} in the Ralston/Papillion area.

Village Inn is one of those places where most people seem to be willing to go, but is seldom a first choice for anyone. Kind of a "compromise" place, as are several of the usual-suspect chains.
ChadJK
Parks & Recreation

Post by ChadJK »

The Papillion one is at 72nd & Giles and there's a second one in Bellevue on Fort Crook Road.

Omaha - Sorenson & 72
Omaha - 90th & Maple
Omaha - 78th & Dodge
Omaha - 54th & L
Omaha - 108th & L
Omaha - 138th & Maple
Omaha - 180th & Center
Papillion - 72nd & Giles
Bellevue - Twin Creek
Bellevue - Fort Crook Rd

I had a quiet breakfast at 2 AM at the VI at Saddle Creek & Dodge years ago. My wife (newlyweds at the time) fell asleep (passed out) at the table. So, i sat there and leisurely ate my breakfast while I worked up the motivation to wake her up and get her to the car.
Last edited by ChadJK on Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

I miss the carousel of various flavors of syrups they had on each table.
Padre
Human Relations

Post by Padre »

bbinks wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:30 pm I miss the carousel of various flavors of syrups they had on each table.
My grandmother and mom used to take us to Village Inn as kids. We would try every syrup flavor by pouring them in a spoon. But when the pancakes or waffles came, we still only used the maple.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

Any bets on what it'll become? Someone could potentially buy this lot and flex the Family Dollar out and do something similar to what is happening on the south side of this intersection.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Padre wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:12 pm
bbinks wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:30 pm I miss the carousel of various flavors of syrups they had on each table.
My grandmother and mom used to take us to Village Inn as kids. We would try every syrup flavor by pouring them in a spoon. But when the pancakes or waffles came, we still only used the maple.
Ha! We would do the same thing when we were kids whenever we visited a Village Inn or “Pancake House”...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Padre
Human Relations

Post by Padre »

The owner of Village Inn, American Blue Ribbon Holdings, has filed for bankruptcy and closed down 33 underproducing restaurants.

https://www.nrn.com/family-dining/villa ... s-33-units
debradomayer
Library Board

Post by debradomayer »

I can't believe the location at 54th & L hasn't closed. It's the closest to us, but if we want VI, we go to 108th or 78th & Dodge. The L street store has the worst service and surliest wait staff.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

debradomayer wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:59 pm I can't believe the location at 54th & L hasn't closed. It's the closest to us, but if we want VI, we go to 108th or 78th & Dodge. The L street store has the worst service and surliest wait staff.
I too am kind of surprised that among the locations that have closed recently, 54th & L wasn't first or second. Not that I been there or anything, it just seems like a wasteland location. Must be the truckers.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

I started my childhood love of dollar sized pancakes at the Saddle Creek location, back in the 1960s. (You do the math.). My mother essentially bribed me and my siblings to sit quietly for Sunday church services at my grandmother’s church, with the reward being we would eat Sunday breakfast at that Village Inn. I was in childhood awe of the syrup carousel!
I always left stuffed and barely able to keep my eyes open.

Fast forward 30 years and it became an occasional post bar place to go when the 1 am munchies hit. The food was never that good, and there were no syrup carousels. But I still would leave barely able to keep my eyes open.
ChadJK
Parks & Recreation

Post by ChadJK »

Village Inn, like many pancake places, is one of those restaurants where no matter what time of day you go there and no matter how many times the table was wiped down you always manage to stick to something. They just can't seem to get all of the syrup wiped up. Table edges are the worst.
swgiust
Library Board

Post by swgiust »

I'm not sure if the restaurants have changed or my taste have changed but I just don't find their food appealing anymore. I would go to Lisa's a thousand times before I would ever go to a Village Inn.
Padre
Human Relations

Post by Padre »

The advantage of places like this is that you can get breakfast foods any time of day. Most of my recent visits would have been in the evening, and I’m ordering eggs and sausage.
ita
County Board

Post by ita »

Two more Village Inn locations close in Omaha

A couple more locations bite the dust: 72nd Street and Sorensen Parkway and 78th and Dodge Streets. I did not know the one on 44th and Dodge closed. That one is not a huge site, but is in an area of redevelopment. I wonder what happens to all these closed restaurants? Will they become another Abelardo's restaurant? :;):
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

ita wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 3:00 pm Two more Village Inn locations close in Omaha

A couple more locations bite the dust: 72nd Street and Sorensen Parkway and 78th and Dodge Streets. I did not know the one on 44th and Dodge closed. That one is not a huge site, but is in an area of redevelopment. I wonder what happens to all these closed restaurants? Will they become another Abelardo's restaurant? :;):
Wouldn't be surprised if Methodist doesn't buy that land at 78th and Dodge. Or the hotel.
TheSeventhBrat
Home Owners Association

Post by TheSeventhBrat »

ita wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 3:00 pm Two more Village Inn locations close in Omaha

The 78th & Dodge location was previously a Shoney's. Comeback?*

*Just wishful thinking on my part.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

bigredmed1 wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 4:08 pm

Wouldn't be surprised if Methodist doesn't buy that land at 78th and Dodge. Or the hotel.
I wouldn't be surprised at all by that. Or you have the fire department right next door so maybe a civic opportunity.

I've been to that Village Inn on 78th & Dodge a few times in my life. Not a sentimental one for me. Kind of a weird location, I've always thought. I'm fine with the idea of the motel hitting the road. That place has been a trap for homeless and druggie types for years. Reminds me of a low-key Colorado Springs.

I'm surprised by the Sorensen location, as it is only maybe 10-15 years old. But, as has been proven throughout its existence, the Sorensen Park area has been a big fail in general.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

TheSeventhBrat wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 7:35 pm

The 78th & Dodge location was previously a Shoney's. Comeback?*

*Just wishful thinking on my part.
I used to go to it when it was Shoney's a lot. If memory serves, a great late night buffet.

Greg
garyomaha
Home Owners Association

Post by garyomaha »

Busguy2010 wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 11:37 pm Or you have the fire department right next door so maybe a civic opportunity.
Isn't that Fire Station scheduled to be replaced by a new one around 72nd & Cass? (Although I haven't seen anything about that in a while.) That could further open the area to Methodist expansion.
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

The IHOP on 72nd closed too. Outside Golden Corral, that limits breakfast dining. Providing buffets survive the Corona.
TheSeventhBrat
Home Owners Association

Post by TheSeventhBrat »

3rd VI to Close

Add the VI on 90th & Maple to the closed list.
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

TheSeventhBrat wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 7:41 pm 3rd VI to Close

Add the VI on 90th & Maple to the closed list.
90th has been for awhile. I can't specifically say when I saw the for sale sign on the property.. sometime in April.
Padre
Human Relations

Post by Padre »

bbinks wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 2:00 pm The IHOP on 72nd closed too. Outside Golden Corral, that limits breakfast dining. Providing buffets survive the Corona.
I went by the IHOP on 72nd and Military this afternoon. It was open and people were inside eating.
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

Padre wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 7:27 pm
bbinks wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 2:00 pm The IHOP on 72nd closed too. Outside Golden Corral, that limits breakfast dining. Providing buffets survive the Corona.
I went by the IHOP on 72nd and Military this afternoon. It was open and people were inside eating.
Weird...

When I was leaving Bakers a few weeks ago, there were no cars there at all and a for sale sign on the property in the front of the building by the sidewalk.
Padre
Human Relations

Post by Padre »

bbinks wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 1:20 pm
Padre wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 7:27 pm
Weird...

When I was leaving Bakers a few weeks ago, there were no cars there at all and a for sale sign on the property in the front of the building by the sidewalk.
I wondered about that sign too. I think it referred to a vacant spot between the old Hancocks and Goodwill.

https://www.crexi.com/properties/320559 ... plaza-land

The location of the sign certainly doesn’t help IHOP.
Jins123
Home Owners Association

Post by Jins123 »

The former Village Inn on 44th & Dodge will now be a Abelardo's Mexican Food, drive through and all, this late night working med center employee is pretty excited guys!
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Jins123 wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 11:55 am The former Village Inn on 44th & Dodge will now be a Abelardo's Mexican Food, drive through and all, this late night working med center employee is pretty excited guys!
The good to hear Abelardo’s continues to expand their footprint..

This is a great location for them...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

That'll be an excellent location! Quite a bit bigger than their usual stores. I wonder if they plan to maintain such a large dining area.
Padre
Human Relations

Post by Padre »

Busguy2010 wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 5:09 pm That'll be an excellent location! Quite a bit bigger than their usual stores. I wonder if they plan to maintain such a large dining area.
I wondered that too. I suspect the big draw was the location.
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

Jins123 wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 11:55 am The former Village Inn on 44th & Dodge will now be a Abelardo's Mexican Food, drive through and all, this late night working med center employee is pretty excited guys!
If they offer delivery, the Buffett and Durham staff will be able to get lunch without the over priced Buffett restaurant. The whole south campus will be able to get lunch on the weekends.
Silverspoon
Home Owners Association

Post by Silverspoon »

72nd Giles VI was still open when I was down there about a week ago.
Jim Flowers rules!
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

Anyone know when the 138th & Maple location reopens? Their overnight kitchen fire was 4 months ago.
TheSeventhBrat
Home Owners Association

Post by TheSeventhBrat »

bbinks wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 5:18 am Anyone know when the 138th & Maple location reopens? Their overnight kitchen fire was 4 months ago.
If Paul Davis is doing the reno, another 7 months or so.
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

2 Village Inns here in Lincoln closed. 29th and O and 27th and Cornhusker.