801 Chophouse at the Paxton
-
Big E
- City Council
- Posts: 8176
- Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:12 am
801 Chophouse at the Paxton
What are they going to do with their badass giant neon Paxton Chop House sign?
Stable genius.
-
DTO Luv
- City Council
- Posts: 9644
- Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 4:22 pm
801 Chophouse at the Paxton
This sucks. Any points they had for being a local place are gone now. It might as well be Sullivan's now.
DTO
-
thenewguy
- County Board
- Posts: 4332
- Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:50 pm
- Location: Council Bluffs
-
Brad
- Photographer
- Posts: 1036556
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
- Location: Omaha, NE
801 Chophouse at the Paxton
I guess I really don't see the big deal? Its no more or less local than it was before. Its not like the profits are going to a different place, the only thing that's different is that the name is changing and instead of the "Paxton chophouse" its going to be the "801 Chophouse" still at the Paxton.

Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
Website: www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
Twitter: www.twitter.com/bradwphoto
Instagram: www.instagram.com/bradwilliamsphotography
YouTube: www.youtube.com/@bradwilliamsphoto
-
Ingersoll1978
- Library Board
- Posts: 490
- Joined: Sat May 22, 2004 5:27 pm
- Location: Des Moines
801 Chophouse at the Paxton
Oh come on, it's not like it's a big national chain. There are only three. I do find it cool that they kept "801" in there! :)
-
nebport5
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2803
- Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 3:13 pm
- Location: 68102
801 Chophouse at the Paxton
Brad wrote:I guess I really don't see the big deal? Its no more or less local than it was before. Its not like the profits are going to a different place, the only thing that's different is that the name is changing and instead of the "Paxton chophouse" its going to be the "801 Chophouse" still at the Paxton.
The name Paxton had an obvious relevance in Omaha, changing the name to 801 means nothing to Omaha and isn't going to make me more likely to get a steak there. Stupid!
-
Brad
- Photographer
- Posts: 1036556
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
- Location: Omaha, NE
801 Chophouse at the Paxton
I'm not saying that I like the name change, however, its not going to change the frequency that I go there(which is never). I still want to try it sometime.nebport5 wrote:The name Paxton had an obvious relevance in Omaha, changing the name to 801 means nothing to Omaha and isn't going to make me more likely to get a steak there. Stupid!
However someone like Big E, the goes there often, Is it going to change how often you go?

Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
Website: www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
Twitter: www.twitter.com/bradwphoto
Instagram: www.instagram.com/bradwilliamsphotography
YouTube: www.youtube.com/@bradwilliamsphoto
-
Big E
- City Council
- Posts: 8176
- Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:12 am
801 Chophouse at the Paxton
Absolutely not.
And honestly, I don't go there that often. 6-8 times a year, almost exclusively for the Sunday deal.
And honestly, I don't go there that often. 6-8 times a year, almost exclusively for the Sunday deal.
Stable genius.
-
Brad
- Photographer
- Posts: 1036556
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
- Location: Omaha, NE
801 Chophouse at the Paxton
That's probably still more that 95% of the city.Big E wrote:Absolutely not.
And honestly, I don't go there that often. 6-8 times a year, almost exclusively for the Sunday deal.

Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
Website: www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
Twitter: www.twitter.com/bradwphoto
Instagram: www.instagram.com/bradwilliamsphotography
YouTube: www.youtube.com/@bradwilliamsphoto
-
DTO Luv
- City Council
- Posts: 9644
- Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 4:22 pm
801 Chophouse at the Paxton
I was going to eat at the Paxton but I walked in, didn't like the way it was set up and then left. 
DTO
-
Brad
- Photographer
- Posts: 1036556
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
- Location: Omaha, NE
801 Chophouse at the Paxton
DTO Luv wrote:I was going to eat at the Paxton but I walked in, didn't like the way it was set up and then left.

Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
Website: www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
Twitter: www.twitter.com/bradwphoto
Instagram: www.instagram.com/bradwilliamsphotography
YouTube: www.youtube.com/@bradwilliamsphoto
-
DTO Luv
- City Council
- Posts: 9644
- Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 4:22 pm
801 Chophouse at the Paxton
I could see myself eating at a restaurant called Groat's. Provided the room has a nice dong shwai to it.
DTO
-
nativeomahan
- County Board
- Posts: 6013
- Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2004 2:46 pm
- Location: Omaha and Puerto Vallarta
801 Chophouse at the Paxton
Agreed. 801 sounds like an address. But it is not at 801. Dumb.nebport5 wrote:Brad wrote:I guess I really don't see the big deal? Its no more or less local than it was before. Its not like the profits are going to a different place, the only thing that's different is that the name is changing and instead of the "Paxton chophouse" its going to be the "801 Chophouse" still at the Paxton.
The name Paxton had an obvious relevance in Omaha, changing the name to 801 means nothing to Omaha and isn't going to make me more likely to get a steak there. Stupid!
-
Ingersoll1978
- Library Board
- Posts: 490
- Joined: Sat May 22, 2004 5:27 pm
- Location: Des Moines
801 Chophouse at the Paxton
The original steakhouse is located at 801 Grand Ave in Des Moines (which is our tallest building's address and name...see #1 on my avatar).
-
DTO Luv
- City Council
- Posts: 9644
- Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 4:22 pm
801 Chophouse at the Paxton
I've heard of 801's restaurant before. I just don't like how the place had a strong connection with a local name and now it's going with something unique to another city and not Omaha. It might as well be Red Robin or something now.
DTO
-
nebport5
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2803
- Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 3:13 pm
- Location: 68102
801 Chophouse at the Paxton
Ingersoll1978 wrote:The original steakhouse is located at 801 Grand Ave in Des Moines (which is our tallest building's address and name...see #1 on my avatar).
exactly. and how is that "branding" supposed to sell steak better outside of Des Moines?
-
cdub
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1216
- Joined: Tue May 23, 2006 1:38 pm
- Location: Tempe. AZ
801 Chophouse at the Paxton
|expletive|, I better get on the stick and get a few pics of that sign, unless someone has some nice ones to share. I'm not a photog at all but was thinking the sign (which I love) would look great with a good portion of the building (which also aint bad) behind it.
As for 801 - whatever, they are branding, or trying and if people start to know the name it will help them, assuming they have a good establishment going. Apparently 'Paxton' Chop house wasnt drawing them in so why keep the name once youve bought it?
As for 801 - whatever, they are branding, or trying and if people start to know the name it will help them, assuming they have a good establishment going. Apparently 'Paxton' Chop house wasnt drawing them in so why keep the name once youve bought it?
-
Brad
- Photographer
- Posts: 1036556
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
- Location: Omaha, NE
801 Chophouse at the Paxton
I bet they just replace the Paxton with 801 and keep the sign:



Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
Website: www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
Twitter: www.twitter.com/bradwphoto
Instagram: www.instagram.com/bradwilliamsphotography
YouTube: www.youtube.com/@bradwilliamsphoto
-
nebport5
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2803
- Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 3:13 pm
- Location: 68102
801 Chophouse at the Paxton
cdub wrote:Apparently 'Paxton' Chop house wasnt drawing them in so why keep the name once youve bought it?
Tell me who is drawing them in right now?
It is a great sign and great shot Brad. I loved how the history of the Paxton was incorporated into the design and name of the restaurant. Like someone pointed out, it looks very much like the Chicago Theatre sign, which has an icon appeal. Guess that's out the window.
-
cdub
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1216
- Joined: Tue May 23, 2006 1:38 pm
- Location: Tempe. AZ
801 Chophouse at the Paxton
nebport5 wrote:cdub wrote:Apparently 'Paxton' Chop house wasnt drawing them in so why keep the name once youve bought it?
Tell me who is drawing them in right now?
.
Anyone who didn't have to sell out is doing better I would say...
-
nebport5
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2803
- Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 3:13 pm
- Location: 68102
801 Chophouse at the Paxton
I just meant restaurants in general are struggling.
-
DTO Luv
- City Council
- Posts: 9644
- Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 4:22 pm
-
Stargazer
- County Board
- Posts: 4182
- Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 11:06 am
- Location: Bennington
801 Chophouse at the Paxton
I think they just realized they were missing out on alot of business from the 'Des Moines residents in town to catch a flight' market segment.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
-
nativeomahan
- County Board
- Posts: 6013
- Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2004 2:46 pm
- Location: Omaha and Puerto Vallarta
801 Chophouse at the Paxton
If I was out of town why on earth would I want to eat at the same place I could eat at back home????Stargazer wrote:I think they just realized they were missing out on alot of business from the 'Des Moines residents in town to catch a flight' market segment.
-
Big E
- City Council
- Posts: 8176
- Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:12 am
801 Chophouse at the Paxton
I get what you're saying, but we're not exactly talking about TGIFriday's here.nativeomahan wrote:If I was out of town why on earth would I want to eat at the same place I could eat at back home????Stargazer wrote:I think they just realized they were missing out on alot of business from the 'Des Moines residents in town to catch a flight' market segment.
Stable genius.
-
Stargazer
- County Board
- Posts: 4182
- Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 11:06 am
- Location: Bennington
801 Chophouse at the Paxton
I guess I should have added a wink or smiley or something, huh. Good grief, I hope that wasn't the reason they changed the name!
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
-
Brad
- Photographer
- Posts: 1036556
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
- Location: Omaha, NE
801 Chophouse at the Paxton
Same chops, new name
http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=3 ... d=10511989
http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=3 ... d=10511989
NICHOLE AKSAMIT WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:Though its external signs won't change until after the holidays, the Paxton Chop House is now 801 Chophouse at the Paxton.
The name is meant to underscore the Omaha restaurant's connection to its sister steakhouses — the original 801 in Des Moines and the newest, opened this fall in Kansas City.
"Ownership and everything else is the same," said Jimmy Lynch, who founded and owns the restaurants with his brother Kevin. "We just wanted to better brand them. A lot of people in Omaha don't even realize they are connected."

Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
Website: www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
Twitter: www.twitter.com/bradwphoto
Instagram: www.instagram.com/bradwilliamsphotography
YouTube: www.youtube.com/@bradwilliamsphoto
-
DTO Luv
- City Council
- Posts: 9644
- Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 4:22 pm
801 Chophouse at the Paxton
I'm guessing most people in Omaha have never heard of 801 and us primma donnas aren't to impressed.
DTO
-
Brad
- Photographer
- Posts: 1036556
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
- Location: Omaha, NE
801 Chophouse at the Paxton
They left "At the Paxton" in the name.

Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
Website: www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
Twitter: www.twitter.com/bradwphoto
Instagram: www.instagram.com/bradwilliamsphotography
YouTube: www.youtube.com/@bradwilliamsphoto
-
DTO Luv
- City Council
- Posts: 9644
- Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 4:22 pm
-
Brad
- Photographer
- Posts: 1036556
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
- Location: Omaha, NE
801 Chophouse at the Paxton
You mean the Omaha Aksarben Knights?DTO Luv wrote:That's just as dumb as "The Aksarben Knights of Omaha".

Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
Website: www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
Twitter: www.twitter.com/bradwphoto
Instagram: www.instagram.com/bradwilliamsphotography
YouTube: www.youtube.com/@bradwilliamsphoto
-
nebugeater
- City Council
- Posts: 110949
- Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:07 pm
- Location: Gretna NE
801 Chophouse at the Paxton
I guess when you own the place then you can decide.DTO Luv wrote:That's just as dumb as "The Aksarben Knights of Omaha".
For the record NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER !!!!!!!
-
Coyote
- City Council
- Posts: 34366
- Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:18 am
- Location: Aksarben Village
801 Chophouse at the Paxton
Try 801 at 1403. Actually I was thinking the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim.
Branding? What if nobody has ever heard of 801?
Branding? What if nobody has ever heard of 801?
-
DTO Luv
- City Council
- Posts: 9644
- Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 4:22 pm
801 Chophouse at the Paxton
You should know by now this forum is about mindless bitching as opposed to active doing. 
DTO
-
Brad
- Photographer
- Posts: 1036556
- Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
- Location: Omaha, NE
801 Chophouse at the Paxton
You think so, but it drives me |expletive| nuts.DTO Luv wrote:You should know by now this forum is about mindless bitching as opposed to active doing.

Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
Website: www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
Twitter: www.twitter.com/bradwphoto
Instagram: www.instagram.com/bradwilliamsphotography
YouTube: www.youtube.com/@bradwilliamsphoto
-
DTO Luv
- City Council
- Posts: 9644
- Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 4:22 pm
-
Big E
- City Council
- Posts: 8176
- Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:12 am
-
nativeomahan
- County Board
- Posts: 6013
- Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2004 2:46 pm
- Location: Omaha and Puerto Vallarta
801 Chophouse at the Paxton
801. 211. 911. 7-11. They all sound so romantic.
My guess is if they ain't packin' them in it might not be the name. It just might be the prices, and the fact that 3 other prime steak houses exist within 6 blocks.
For my money, I go to Jazz! I can eat like a voodoo king and listen to good music for about $20, including a beer.
My guess is if they ain't packin' them in it might not be the name. It just might be the prices, and the fact that 3 other prime steak houses exist within 6 blocks.
For my money, I go to Jazz! I can eat like a voodoo king and listen to good music for about $20, including a beer.
-
GetUrban
- Planning Board
- Posts: 2648
- Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:07 pm
- Location: Omaha
801 Chophouse at the Paxton
Maybe they're going to open another "801" out in west O, and they wanted people to know it's the same famous restaurant chain. "801 At the Village Point"....I dunno :yes:Brad wrote:They left "At the Paxton" in the name.
-
nebugeater
- City Council
- Posts: 110949
- Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:07 pm
- Location: Gretna NE
801 Chophouse at the Paxton
GetUrban wrote:Maybe they're going to open another "801" out in west O, and they wanted people to know it's the same famous restaurant chain. "801 At the Village Point"....I dunno :yes:Brad wrote:They left "At the Paxton" in the name.
Close, It will be 801 @ Elkhorn
For the record NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER !!!!!!!