801 Chophouse at the Paxton

Omaha's dining, arts and music scene
User avatar
Big E
City Council
Posts: 8176
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:12 am

801 Chophouse at the Paxton

Post by Big E »

What are they going to do with their badass giant neon Paxton Chop House sign?
Stable genius.
DTO Luv
City Council
Posts: 9644
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 4:22 pm

801 Chophouse at the Paxton

Post by DTO Luv »

This sucks. Any points they had for being a local place are gone now. It might as well be Sullivan's now.
DTO
User avatar
thenewguy
County Board
Posts: 4332
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:50 pm
Location: Council Bluffs

801 Chophouse at the Paxton

Post by thenewguy »

or Sizzler.
Go Cubs Go
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036556
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE

801 Chophouse at the Paxton

Post by Brad »

I guess I really don't see the big deal? Its no more or less local than it was before. Its not like the profits are going to a different place, the only thing that's different is that the name is changing and instead of the "Paxton chophouse" its going to be the "801 Chophouse" still at the Paxton.
User avatar
Ingersoll1978
Library Board
Posts: 490
Joined: Sat May 22, 2004 5:27 pm
Location: Des Moines

801 Chophouse at the Paxton

Post by Ingersoll1978 »

Oh come on, it's not like it's a big national chain. There are only three. I do find it cool that they kept "801" in there! :)
nebport5
Planning Board
Posts: 2803
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 3:13 pm
Location: 68102

801 Chophouse at the Paxton

Post by nebport5 »

Brad wrote:I guess I really don't see the big deal? Its no more or less local than it was before. Its not like the profits are going to a different place, the only thing that's different is that the name is changing and instead of the "Paxton chophouse" its going to be the "801 Chophouse" still at the Paxton.

The name Paxton had an obvious relevance in Omaha, changing the name to 801 means nothing to Omaha and isn't going to make me more likely to get a steak there. Stupid!
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036556
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE

801 Chophouse at the Paxton

Post by Brad »

nebport5 wrote:The name Paxton had an obvious relevance in Omaha, changing the name to 801 means nothing to Omaha and isn't going to make me more likely to get a steak there. Stupid!
I'm not saying that I like the name change, however, its not going to change the frequency that I go there(which is never). I still want to try it sometime.

However someone like Big E, the goes there often, Is it going to change how often you go?
User avatar
Big E
City Council
Posts: 8176
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:12 am

801 Chophouse at the Paxton

Post by Big E »

Absolutely not.

And honestly, I don't go there that often. 6-8 times a year, almost exclusively for the Sunday deal.
Stable genius.
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036556
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE

801 Chophouse at the Paxton

Post by Brad »

Big E wrote:Absolutely not.

And honestly, I don't go there that often. 6-8 times a year, almost exclusively for the Sunday deal.
That's probably still more that 95% of the city.
DTO Luv
City Council
Posts: 9644
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 4:22 pm

801 Chophouse at the Paxton

Post by DTO Luv »

I was going to eat at the Paxton but I walked in, didn't like the way it was set up and then left. :;):
DTO
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036556
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE

801 Chophouse at the Paxton

Post by Brad »

DTO Luv wrote:I was going to eat at the Paxton but I walked in, didn't like the way it was set up and then left. :;):
:lol: That's funny. Next week Warren Buffet is going to offer you dinner at Groat's, but 49th street is too far west!
DTO Luv
City Council
Posts: 9644
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 4:22 pm

801 Chophouse at the Paxton

Post by DTO Luv »

I could see myself eating at a restaurant called Groat's. Provided the room has a nice dong shwai to it.
DTO
User avatar
nativeomahan
County Board
Posts: 6013
Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2004 2:46 pm
Location: Omaha and Puerto Vallarta

801 Chophouse at the Paxton

Post by nativeomahan »

nebport5 wrote:
Brad wrote:I guess I really don't see the big deal? Its no more or less local than it was before. Its not like the profits are going to a different place, the only thing that's different is that the name is changing and instead of the "Paxton chophouse" its going to be the "801 Chophouse" still at the Paxton.

The name Paxton had an obvious relevance in Omaha, changing the name to 801 means nothing to Omaha and isn't going to make me more likely to get a steak there. Stupid!
Agreed. 801 sounds like an address. But it is not at 801. Dumb.
User avatar
Ingersoll1978
Library Board
Posts: 490
Joined: Sat May 22, 2004 5:27 pm
Location: Des Moines

801 Chophouse at the Paxton

Post by Ingersoll1978 »

The original steakhouse is located at 801 Grand Ave in Des Moines (which is our tallest building's address and name...see #1 on my avatar).
DTO Luv
City Council
Posts: 9644
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 4:22 pm

801 Chophouse at the Paxton

Post by DTO Luv »

I've heard of 801's restaurant before. I just don't like how the place had a strong connection with a local name and now it's going with something unique to another city and not Omaha. It might as well be Red Robin or something now.
DTO
nebport5
Planning Board
Posts: 2803
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 3:13 pm
Location: 68102

801 Chophouse at the Paxton

Post by nebport5 »

Ingersoll1978 wrote:The original steakhouse is located at 801 Grand Ave in Des Moines (which is our tallest building's address and name...see #1 on my avatar).

exactly. and how is that "branding" supposed to sell steak better outside of Des Moines?
cdub
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1216
Joined: Tue May 23, 2006 1:38 pm
Location: Tempe. AZ

801 Chophouse at the Paxton

Post by cdub »

|expletive|, I better get on the stick and get a few pics of that sign, unless someone has some nice ones to share. I'm not a photog at all but was thinking the sign (which I love) would look great with a good portion of the building (which also aint bad) behind it.

As for 801 - whatever, they are branding, or trying and if people start to know the name it will help them, assuming they have a good establishment going. Apparently 'Paxton' Chop house wasnt drawing them in so why keep the name once youve bought it?
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036556
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE

801 Chophouse at the Paxton

Post by Brad »

I bet they just replace the Paxton with 801 and keep the sign:

Image
nebport5
Planning Board
Posts: 2803
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 3:13 pm
Location: 68102

801 Chophouse at the Paxton

Post by nebport5 »

cdub wrote:Apparently 'Paxton' Chop house wasnt drawing them in so why keep the name once youve bought it?

Tell me who is drawing them in right now?


It is a great sign and great shot Brad. I loved how the history of the Paxton was incorporated into the design and name of the restaurant. Like someone pointed out, it looks very much like the Chicago Theatre sign, which has an icon appeal. Guess that's out the window.
cdub
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1216
Joined: Tue May 23, 2006 1:38 pm
Location: Tempe. AZ

801 Chophouse at the Paxton

Post by cdub »

nebport5 wrote:
cdub wrote:Apparently 'Paxton' Chop house wasnt drawing them in so why keep the name once youve bought it?

Tell me who is drawing them in right now?


.

Anyone who didn't have to sell out is doing better I would say...
nebport5
Planning Board
Posts: 2803
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 3:13 pm
Location: 68102

801 Chophouse at the Paxton

Post by nebport5 »

I just meant restaurants in general are struggling.
DTO Luv
City Council
Posts: 9644
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 4:22 pm

801 Chophouse at the Paxton

Post by DTO Luv »

Who sold out? I thought the DM people already owned the Chop House.
DTO
User avatar
Stargazer
County Board
Posts: 4182
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 11:06 am
Location: Bennington

801 Chophouse at the Paxton

Post by Stargazer »

I think they just realized they were missing out on alot of business from the 'Des Moines residents in town to catch a flight' market segment.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
User avatar
nativeomahan
County Board
Posts: 6013
Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2004 2:46 pm
Location: Omaha and Puerto Vallarta

801 Chophouse at the Paxton

Post by nativeomahan »

Stargazer wrote:I think they just realized they were missing out on alot of business from the 'Des Moines residents in town to catch a flight' market segment.
If I was out of town why on earth would I want to eat at the same place I could eat at back home????
User avatar
Big E
City Council
Posts: 8176
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:12 am

801 Chophouse at the Paxton

Post by Big E »

nativeomahan wrote:
Stargazer wrote:I think they just realized they were missing out on alot of business from the 'Des Moines residents in town to catch a flight' market segment.
If I was out of town why on earth would I want to eat at the same place I could eat at back home????
I get what you're saying, but we're not exactly talking about TGIFriday's here.
Stable genius.
User avatar
Stargazer
County Board
Posts: 4182
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 11:06 am
Location: Bennington

801 Chophouse at the Paxton

Post by Stargazer »

I guess I should have added a wink or smiley or something, huh. Good grief, I hope that wasn't the reason they changed the name!
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036556
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE

801 Chophouse at the Paxton

Post by Brad »

Same chops, new name

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=3 ... d=10511989
NICHOLE AKSAMIT WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:Though its external signs won't change until after the holidays, the Paxton Chop House is now 801 Chophouse at the Paxton.

The name is meant to underscore the Omaha restaurant's connection to its sister steakhouses — the original 801 in Des Moines and the newest, opened this fall in Kansas City.

"Ownership and everything else is the same," said Jimmy Lynch, who founded and owns the restaurants with his brother Kevin. "We just wanted to better brand them. A lot of people in Omaha don't even realize they are connected."
DTO Luv
City Council
Posts: 9644
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 4:22 pm

801 Chophouse at the Paxton

Post by DTO Luv »

I'm guessing most people in Omaha have never heard of 801 and us primma donnas aren't to impressed.
DTO
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036556
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE

801 Chophouse at the Paxton

Post by Brad »

They left "At the Paxton" in the name.
DTO Luv
City Council
Posts: 9644
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 4:22 pm

801 Chophouse at the Paxton

Post by DTO Luv »

That's just as dumb as "The Aksarben Knights of Omaha".
DTO
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036556
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE

801 Chophouse at the Paxton

Post by Brad »

DTO Luv wrote:That's just as dumb as "The Aksarben Knights of Omaha".
You mean the Omaha Aksarben Knights?
User avatar
nebugeater
City Council
Posts: 110950
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:07 pm
Location: Gretna NE

801 Chophouse at the Paxton

Post by nebugeater »

DTO Luv wrote:That's just as dumb as "The Aksarben Knights of Omaha".
I guess when you own the place then you can decide.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
User avatar
Coyote
City Council
Posts: 34366
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:18 am
Location: Aksarben Village

801 Chophouse at the Paxton

Post by Coyote »

Try 801 at 1403. Actually I was thinking the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim.
Branding? What if nobody has ever heard of 801?
DTO Luv
City Council
Posts: 9644
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 4:22 pm

801 Chophouse at the Paxton

Post by DTO Luv »

You should know by now this forum is about mindless bitching as opposed to active doing. :)
DTO
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036556
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE

801 Chophouse at the Paxton

Post by Brad »

DTO Luv wrote:You should know by now this forum is about mindless bitching as opposed to active doing. :)
You think so, but it drives me |expletive| nuts.
DTO Luv
City Council
Posts: 9644
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 4:22 pm

801 Chophouse at the Paxton

Post by DTO Luv »

Pretty much anything gets your nuts in a not so I don't care.
DTO
User avatar
Big E
City Council
Posts: 8176
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:12 am

801 Chophouse at the Paxton

Post by Big E »

It's "nuts in a knot", SpellCow.
Stable genius.
User avatar
nativeomahan
County Board
Posts: 6013
Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2004 2:46 pm
Location: Omaha and Puerto Vallarta

801 Chophouse at the Paxton

Post by nativeomahan »

801. 211. 911. 7-11. They all sound so romantic.

My guess is if they ain't packin' them in it might not be the name. It just might be the prices, and the fact that 3 other prime steak houses exist within 6 blocks.

For my money, I go to Jazz! I can eat like a voodoo king and listen to good music for about $20, including a beer.
GetUrban
Planning Board
Posts: 2648
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:07 pm
Location: Omaha

801 Chophouse at the Paxton

Post by GetUrban »

Brad wrote:They left "At the Paxton" in the name.
Maybe they're going to open another "801" out in west O, and they wanted people to know it's the same famous restaurant chain. "801 At the Village Point"....I dunno :yes:
User avatar
nebugeater
City Council
Posts: 110950
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:07 pm
Location: Gretna NE

801 Chophouse at the Paxton

Post by nebugeater »

GetUrban wrote:
Brad wrote:They left "At the Paxton" in the name.
Maybe they're going to open another "801" out in west O, and they wanted people to know it's the same famous restaurant chain. "801 At the Village Point"....I dunno :yes:

Close, It will be 801 @ Elkhorn
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!