Downtown Omaha Master Plan

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036557
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE

Downtown Omaha Master Plan

Post by Brad »

Ideas Wanted For Downtown Development

http://www.wowt.com/home/headlines/39370622.html
www.wowt.com wrote:The City of Omaha Planning Department is looking for input on future development for downtown.

A Visioning Workshop will be held Wednesday, February 18th from 6-10 p.m. at the Embassy Suites Downtown. The meeting will include presentations from the City of Omaha Planning Department and HDR.

"Development throughout Downtown and North Downtown continues to make our city even more attractive for residents and visitors alike," said Mayor Mike Fahey. "This new master plan will shape our downtown growth for the next 30 to 40 years, and I encourage everyone with ideas about the future of downtown to attend the public meeting and share their thoughts with city planners."

The Omaha City Council approved the Downtown and North Downtown Master Plan update along with a streetcar feasibility study in November 2008. The City's current Downtown Master Plan was created 35 years ago, in 1973.
Last edited by Brad on Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
DTO Luv
City Council
Posts: 9644
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 4:22 pm

Re: Downtown Omaha Master Plan

Post by DTO Luv »

This is a scam like "You've won a free boat!"

Are we all paid up on our taxes? Do any of us have unpaid parking tickets or child support payments?

I'll start getting my books of stuff ready to bring to the meeting.
DTO
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council
Posts: 6854
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2004 4:46 pm

Re: Downtown Omaha Master Plan

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Oh, I am already there!
DTO Luv
City Council
Posts: 9644
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 4:22 pm

Downtown Omaha Master Plan

Post by DTO Luv »

You know we're all going to be fighting each other to see who can go first.
DTO
the1wags
County Board
Posts: 3853
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 7:43 pm
Location: Denver

Downtown Omaha Master Plan

Post by the1wags »

Sweet, I'm there.
Bomaha
Home Owners Association
Posts: 233
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2004 1:36 pm
Location: Chicago

Downtown Omaha Master Plan

Post by Bomaha »

Me, too!
the1wags
County Board
Posts: 3853
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 7:43 pm
Location: Denver

Downtown Omaha Master Plan

Post by the1wags »

Hey D'Shawn, thanks for reminding me about that parking ticket I have. Just in case. :lol:
User avatar
Garrett
County Board
Posts: 4692
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:29 pm
Location: New York City

Downtown Omaha Master Plan

Post by Garrett »

This should prove interesting, Take Pictures! I can't wait to see what they have to say.
Last edited by Garrett on Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
DTO Luv
City Council
Posts: 9644
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 4:22 pm

Downtown Omaha Master Plan

Post by DTO Luv »

Make sure you pay your child support too. I saw Desaticiana knocking on your door yesterday yelling for you to pay up or kiss your BMW goodbye.

How many nerds do you think are going to show up with skyscraper drawings in notebooks for this thing?
DTO
almighty_tuna
City Council
Posts: 106375
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2004 1:34 pm
Location: Somewhere between downtown and Colorado

Downtown Omaha Master Plan

Post by almighty_tuna »

DTO Luv wrote:How many nerds do you think are going to show up with skyscraper drawings in notebooks for this thing?
Time to pull a top 100 posters list
DTO Luv
City Council
Posts: 9644
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 4:22 pm

Downtown Omaha Master Plan

Post by DTO Luv »

Brad obviously. Who's the next lifeless putz to bust out "Napkinfront Place" or "General Ledger Plaza"?
DTO
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036557
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE

Downtown Omaha Master Plan

Post by Brad »

DTO Luv wrote:Brad obviously. Who's the next lifeless putz to bust out "Napkinfront Place" or "General Ledger Plaza"?
Actually, I was not planning on going...
User avatar
Garrett
County Board
Posts: 4692
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:29 pm
Location: New York City

Downtown Omaha Master Plan

Post by Garrett »

Brad wrote:
DTO Luv wrote:Brad obviously. Who's the next lifeless putz to bust out "Napkinfront Place" or "General Ledger Plaza"?
Actually, I was not planning on going...
Suuuurrrrrrrreeeeeee you aren't, after all, WAS is past tense..........
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036557
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE

Downtown Omaha Master Plan

Post by Brad »

Axel wrote:
Brad wrote:Actually, I was not planning on going...
Suuuurrrrrrrreeeeeee you aren't, after all, WAS is past tense..........
You don't even know me... I went to the baseball open house thing and a streetcar meeting about 3 years ago, otherwise I avoid public forums. I don care enough about this (actually don't think Omaha/HDR gives a |expletive| about my opinion either). I work 7 days a week and think that I need another "meeting" like a hole in the head. Just because I post 6.33 posts per day (forum has been around since 2004) doesn't mean I eat, Drink and Sleep Omaha...
User avatar
justnick
Human Relations
Posts: 892
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2008 3:47 pm
Location: Downtown

Downtown Omaha Master Plan

Post by justnick »

I want a statue of me on the riverfront.
Peeing on a Renoir. Stupid impressionists.
DTO Luv
City Council
Posts: 9644
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 4:22 pm

Downtown Omaha Master Plan

Post by DTO Luv »

Brad wrote:
Axel wrote:
Brad wrote:Actually, I was not planning on going...
Suuuurrrrrrrreeeeeee you aren't, after all, WAS is past tense..........
You don't even know me... I went to the baseball open house thing and a streetcar meeting about 3 years ago, otherwise I avoid public forums. I don care enough about this (actually don't think Omaha/HDR gives a |expletive| about my opinion either). I work 7 days a week and think that I need another "meeting" like a hole in the head. Just because I post 6.33 posts per day (forum has been around since 2004) doesn't mean I eat, Drink and Sleep Omaha...
Well when they build One DTO Luv Center you're going to be kicking yourself. :;):I think it's great that they're actually having a meeting like this. How often does a chance come along for armchair development nerds to actually have some sort of input into what happens with city planning. This could be a huge deal if they see enough people want the same things in the city.
DTO
User avatar
Garrett
County Board
Posts: 4692
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:29 pm
Location: New York City

Downtown Omaha Master Plan

Post by Garrett »

DTO Luv wrote:
Brad wrote:
Axel wrote:
Brad wrote:Actually, I was not planning on going...
Suuuurrrrrrrreeeeeee you aren't, after all, WAS is past tense..........
You don't even know me... I went to the baseball open house thing and a streetcar meeting about 3 years ago, otherwise I avoid public forums. I don care enough about this (actually don't think Omaha/HDR gives a |expletive| about my opinion either). I work 7 days a week and think that I need another "meeting" like a hole in the head. Just because I post 6.33 posts per day (forum has been around since 2004) doesn't mean I eat, Drink and Sleep Omaha...
Well when they build One DTO Luv Center you're going to be kicking yourself. :;):I think it's great that they're actually having a meeting like this. How often does a chance come along for armchair development nerds to actually have some sort of input into what happens with city planning. This could be a huge deal if they see enough people want the same things in the city.
I can see it now........... 1000+ ft with stained glass all the colors of the Rainbow, mostly pink.

And Brad, stressed a little?
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036557
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE

Downtown Omaha Master Plan

Post by Brad »

Axel wrote:And Brad, stressed a little?
I don't stress, especially about a discussion forum. I just think its funny I am the subject of all the dork jokes?
DTO Luv
City Council
Posts: 9644
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 4:22 pm

Downtown Omaha Master Plan

Post by DTO Luv »

Would you rather be the butt end of the jokes I get? :)

You know at least I'm messing with you brad. In this case I'm ripping on everyone, myself included.
DTO
User avatar
thenewguy
County Board
Posts: 4332
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:50 pm
Location: Council Bluffs

Downtown Omaha Master Plan

Post by thenewguy »

justnick wrote:I want a statue of me on the riverfront.
Peeing on a Renoir. Stupid impressionists.
Haha
Go Cubs Go
User avatar
thenewguy
County Board
Posts: 4332
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:50 pm
Location: Council Bluffs

Downtown Omaha Master Plan

Post by thenewguy »

...and can one of you be the voice of us development minded folk across the river?
Go Cubs Go
omahahawk
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1187
Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2004 5:16 pm

Downtown Omaha Master Plan

Post by omahahawk »

one word.....Streetcars!
User avatar
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board
Posts: 3273
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2004 7:08 pm
Location: St. Louis

Downtown Omaha Master Plan

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

I probably won't be able to make it, so here's my idea if someone would like to steal it (whether or not it actually constitues "downtown" I'm not sure.):

A small amusement park on the riverfront between Rick's and the ped bridge in the parking lot by the marina. Nothing World's of Fun sized of course, but something along the lines of (a scaled down) Navy Pier in Chicago:

Image

or Santa Monica Pier in Santa Monica:

Image

or if those are still too big, perhaps just a Ferris Wheel like the London Eye and a few small attractions like a skating rink surrounding it:

Image

A bit ambitious perhaps, and maybe not very profitable at first, but it would certainly help us build an even greater sense of place with our downtown. All of these small amusement attractions are landmarks in their respective cities. I'm willing to bet a little fun park could do wonders for us.
User avatar
Big E
City Council
Posts: 8176
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:12 am

Downtown Omaha Master Plan

Post by Big E »

DTO Luv wrote:Would you rather be the butt end of the jokes I get?
Is that better than the joke end of your butt?
Stable genius.
DTO Luv
City Council
Posts: 9644
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 4:22 pm

Downtown Omaha Master Plan

Post by DTO Luv »

I think one thing we can agree on is getting rid of surface lots DT. There needs to be more done to get people to build on the small ones. Also there is not a reason in the world that any new office building DT can't have it's own parking garage partially underground or as part of the structure. Tearing down a whole block to build a separate garage with no other use after office hours is |expletive| ridiculous.
DTO
User avatar
justnick
Human Relations
Posts: 892
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2008 3:47 pm
Location: Downtown

Downtown Omaha Master Plan

Post by justnick »

TitosBuritoBarn wrote:I probably won't be able to make it, so here's my idea if someone would like to steal it (whether or not it actually constitues "downtown" I'm not sure.):

A small amusement park on the riverfront between Rick's and the ped bridge in the parking lot by the marina. Nothing World's of Fun sized of course, but something along the lines of (a scaled down) Navy Pier in Chicago:

Image


A bit ambitious perhaps, and maybe not very profitable at first, but it would certainly help us build an even greater sense of place with our downtown. All of these small amusement attractions are landmarks in their respective cities. I'm willing to bet a little fun park could do wonders for us.
That's just what I was thinking yesterday when I was down there - that would be too awesome.
Especially a giant Ferris Wheel red O, since that's our super lame "Logo"
DTO Luv
City Council
Posts: 9644
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 4:22 pm

Downtown Omaha Master Plan

Post by DTO Luv »

After all the times I've been to Chicago I only went to Navy Pier last year. Wasn't impressed but something like that maybe north of North DT would be nice. Or a park like that one in DT Denver.
DTO
Erik
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1524
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2004 12:55 am

..

Post by Erik »

Not that it matters...

But this is something I don't want to miss.. And will try to be there..
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council
Posts: 6854
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2004 4:46 pm

Downtown Omaha Master Plan

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

The biggest point I would make would be the need for viable urban transit, which is one of the main things the city SHOULD be able to control. That's what will encourage the type of development that we all WANT to see Downtown.
User avatar
Big E
City Council
Posts: 8176
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:12 am

Downtown Omaha Master Plan

Post by Big E »

1) Break the infatuation with surface parking. This is an absolute must. Whatever incentives (carrot or stick) the city has to use to get active uses on these surface lots is an absolute necessity.

2) Require - as in, make it a law, not a design suggestion - that all future development downtown be on a pedestrian scale (where applicable), with active street level use from morning to night, 7 days a week.

3) Affordable one bedroom housing for purchase. I absolutely refuse to believe that decent condos in the 400-700 sqft and $100,000 range can't be built downtown. (Hopefully the economy will make everyone realize that not everyone gets granite countertops and diamond toilets as standard furnishings.)

4) Street cars. Downtown, Midtown, South Omaha, zoo, UNO, Dundee, and the airport need to be connected. As in, like, right now. And it needs to be available during work and play time.

What blows my mind in all of this, is that all you have to do to figure out what works is go stand on the corner of 11th and Howard and just watch. Its no coincidence that the Old Market is one of the largest tourist draws in the state.

Ask the question "What is going on in the Old Market that isn't going on everywhere else?" and go from there.

Why steering a city is so |expletive| difficult here is beyond me.
Stable genius.
DTO Luv
City Council
Posts: 9644
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 4:22 pm

Downtown Omaha Master Plan

Post by DTO Luv »

Because they have to think of the children.

Are you going to the meeting Big E?
DTO
User avatar
Brad
Photographer
Posts: 1036557
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE

Downtown Omaha Master Plan

Post by Brad »

I thought of one tonight... Not really development, but when the |expletive| can :;): :;): :;): those parking lots at 11th and Harney, they need to make that a 4 way stop!
Last edited by Brad on Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council
Posts: 6854
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2004 4:46 pm

Downtown Omaha Master Plan

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Big E wrote:1) Break the infatuation with surface parking. This is an absolute must. Whatever incentives (carrot or stick) the city has to use to get active uses on these surface lots is an absolute necessity.

2) Require - as in, make it a law, not a design suggestion - that all future development downtown be on a pedestrian scale (where applicable), with active street level use from morning to night, 7 days a week.

3) Affordable one bedroom housing for purchase. I absolutely refuse to believe that decent condos in the 400-700 sqft and $100,000 range can't be built downtown. (Hopefully the economy will make everyone realize that not everyone gets granite countertops and diamond toilets as standard furnishings.)

4) Street cars. Downtown, Midtown, South Omaha, zoo, UNO, Dundee, and the airport need to be connected. As in, like, right now. And it needs to be available during work and play time.

What blows my mind in all of this, is that all you have to do to figure out what works is go stand on the corner of 11th and Howard and just watch. Its no coincidence that the Old Market is one of the largest tourist draws in the state.

Ask the question "What is going on in the Old Market that isn't going on everywhere else?" and go from there.

Why steering a city is so |expletive| difficult here is beyond me.
Here |expletive| here!
Hawkeye
Library Board
Posts: 256
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2005 1:58 pm
Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul

Downtown Omaha Master Plan

Post by Hawkeye »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:
Big E wrote:1) Break the infatuation with surface parking. This is an absolute must. Whatever incentives (carrot or stick) the city has to use to get active uses on these surface lots is an absolute necessity.

2) Require - as in, make it a law, not a design suggestion - that all future development downtown be on a pedestrian scale (where applicable), with active street level use from morning to night, 7 days a week.

3) Affordable one bedroom housing for purchase. I absolutely refuse to believe that decent condos in the 400-700 sqft and $100,000 range can't be built downtown. (Hopefully the economy will make everyone realize that not everyone gets granite countertops and diamond toilets as standard furnishings.)

4) Street cars. Downtown, Midtown, South Omaha, zoo, UNO, Dundee, and the airport need to be connected. As in, like, right now. And it needs to be available during work and play time.

What blows my mind in all of this, is that all you have to do to figure out what works is go stand on the corner of 11th and Howard and just watch. Its no coincidence that the Old Market is one of the largest tourist draws in the state.

Ask the question "What is going on in the Old Market that isn't going on everywhere else?" and go from there.

Why steering a city is so |expletive| difficult here is beyond me.
Here |expletive| here!
And I would add that for every certain number of square feet of purely commercial (i.e. Class A office) or residential space built DIRECTLY along the riverfront, there be a requirement that a certain percentage match of feet of retail/dining/entertainment space be concurrently created and available for lease. And not just a loose suggestion, but an enforceable planning commission policy.

Presently, along the riverfront itself, we have thousands of feet of office and residential, and we have precisely ONE place where people can go dining, drinking, and your basic nightlife fun & frolic.

There is more than enough space in the CBD that there can be large sections of it that virtually roll up the sidewalks at 5:00PM every day, and other sections of it that are nearer to our seemingly collective ideal of full-service, 24/7 type areas. But there's only a very limited, and apparently tightly concentrated, amount of usable riverfront property and it's being rapidly consumed by M-F/9-5 entities. The riverfront should be alive and kicking 24/7/365.

And for the record, I am not at all suggesting that the entire riverfront should be literally teeming with non-stop nightlife. But certainly there needs to be something more than what we have now. Enlivening the riverfront would be a move in the right direction for ALL of downtown. It needs to be planned quickly, before it's too late and the entire developable stretch is gobbled up.
cdub
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1216
Joined: Tue May 23, 2006 1:38 pm
Location: Tempe. AZ

Downtown Omaha Master Plan

Post by cdub »

Hawkeye wrote:[And I would add that for every certain number of square feet of purely commercial (i.e. Class A office) or residential space built DIRECTLY along the riverfront, there be a requirement that a certain percentage match of feet of retail/dining/entertainment space be concurrently created and available for lease. And not just a loose suggestion, but an enforceable planning commission policy.

Presently, along the riverfront itself, we have thousands of feet of office and residential, and we have precisely ONE place where people can go dining, drinking, and your basic nightlife fun & frolic.

There is more than enough space in the CBD that there can be large sections of it that virtually roll up the sidewalks at 5:00PM every day, and other sections of it that are nearer to our seemingly collective ideal of full-service, 24/7 type areas. But there's only a very limited, and apparently tightly concentrated, amount of usable riverfront property and it's being rapidly consumed by M-F/9-5 entities. The riverfront should be alive and kicking 24/7/365.

And for the record, I am not at all suggesting that the entire riverfront should be literally teeming with non-stop nightlife. But certainly there needs to be something more than what we have now. Enlivening the riverfront would be a move in the right direction for ALL of downtown. It needs to be planned quickly, before it's too late and the entire developable stretch is gobbled up.
That has definitely been noticed. The CVB has stopped advertising the river front because people would get there and say, 'this is it?'
stadsborgare
Library Board
Posts: 443
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:33 am
Location: Omaha Metro Area

Downtown Omaha Master Plan

Post by stadsborgare »

Besides seconding the streetcar idea, and more pedestrian-friendliness, and less surface parking, all great ideas--what ceases to cure the problem of traffic congestion is the lack of options in this city--that could be addressed right now.

Just run the buses later at night, so anyone with a social life doesn't have their only option being that they have to drive to where they're going. And of course for every person who drives their car, you have to provide parking. That takes up space.

A streetcar, or light rail is not going to alleviate any congestion, unless they run it past 9 PM.
DTO Luv
City Council
Posts: 9644
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 4:22 pm

Downtown Omaha Master Plan

Post by DTO Luv »

A few of us got together last night to come up with a few talking points for the meeting tonight. I'm not sure what the forum is going to be but at 4 hours that's a lot of time to get ideas out there. I just hope there isn't a mass retard section like at the baseball meetings.
DTO
cdub
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1216
Joined: Tue May 23, 2006 1:38 pm
Location: Tempe. AZ

Downtown Omaha Master Plan

Post by cdub »

Most of the work will be done in small groups and then each group will present some of their findings to the larger group. Each small group will do their own SWOT analysis of downtown, and then everyone will get to vote for the most critical elements of the aggregate analysis. There will also be an exercise with an aerial photo where the groups can draw whatever they like - what should go, what should stay, what new things should go where, etc. Everyone will have a lot of chances to have their voice heard!
User avatar
justnick
Human Relations
Posts: 892
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2008 3:47 pm
Location: Downtown

Downtown Omaha Master Plan

Post by justnick »

Oooh! Oooh! Someone draw an S&M Leather bar called Fist for me. Drag night every thursday, called Taboo.
DTO Luv
City Council
Posts: 9644
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 4:22 pm

Downtown Omaha Master Plan

Post by DTO Luv »

cdub wrote:Most of the work will be done in small groups and then each group will present some of their findings to the larger group. Each small group will do their own SWOT analysis of downtown, and then everyone will get to vote for the most critical elements of the aggregate analysis. There will also be an exercise with an aerial photo where the groups can draw whatever they like - what should go, what should stay, what new things should go where, etc. Everyone will have a lot of chances to have their voice heard!

I'm so totally having my own group since we've got all that stuff with the aerials done up already. :lol:

I'm sure Fist will go over well.
DTO