Another moving to omaha-please crarify if myths
-
vksk
- New to the Neighborhood
- Posts: 2
- Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:22 am
- Location: Omaha - ??
Another moving to omaha-please crarify if myths
Hi all. I'm moving to Omaha from small town Iowa. But I have previously lived in Chicago and have close relative who mostly live in big cities. So this is where I "come from". Im starting at Creighton University hospital. I generally dont go out much except to grocery stores and restaurants (trained so in Iowa, who knows if i'll change) my husband will be commuting weekends so im pretty much on my own and so safety is highly important. But I do know common sense lik not to walk alone late and will pay for garage parking anyway. I want to clarify a few things about places/apartments in Omaha.
1) Are there relatively "more safe" areas in downtown? if so what are they?
2) If i were to choose a downtown place merely for proximity to creighton and ok safety any suggestions? I seem to like the Renata and old market lofts and wouldnt mind paying the price if they were safe enough.
3) Ive read and heard from locals that west of 72nd st is safer. but ive also read apartment rating reviews of those places having car breakins-so is this unavoidable bad luck or do i just have to get a garage wherever i move?
4)i like the communities in the west but would like to pick one closest to Creighton and googling is confusing me when i throw in the apartment reviews. So can anyone give me current recommendations of places west of 72nd.
5) and of course are there relatively safe places between 72nd and proper downtown?
My dream was of course to stay at an updated apartment downtown-i thought if it had underground/ garage parking and controlled access,security cams it would be safe enough. but somehow when i talk to people who actually live in omaha they try to talk me out of it. So can someone also tell me in what ways its unsafe or something i'll have to watch out for. Oh i dont care for clubs/night scene(from Iowa)
1) Are there relatively "more safe" areas in downtown? if so what are they?
2) If i were to choose a downtown place merely for proximity to creighton and ok safety any suggestions? I seem to like the Renata and old market lofts and wouldnt mind paying the price if they were safe enough.
3) Ive read and heard from locals that west of 72nd st is safer. but ive also read apartment rating reviews of those places having car breakins-so is this unavoidable bad luck or do i just have to get a garage wherever i move?
4)i like the communities in the west but would like to pick one closest to Creighton and googling is confusing me when i throw in the apartment reviews. So can anyone give me current recommendations of places west of 72nd.
5) and of course are there relatively safe places between 72nd and proper downtown?
My dream was of course to stay at an updated apartment downtown-i thought if it had underground/ garage parking and controlled access,security cams it would be safe enough. but somehow when i talk to people who actually live in omaha they try to talk me out of it. So can someone also tell me in what ways its unsafe or something i'll have to watch out for. Oh i dont care for clubs/night scene(from Iowa)
-
thenewguy
- County Board
- Posts: 4356
- Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:50 am
- Location: Council Bluffs
Another moving to omaha-please crarify if myths
i think there's a big misconception you're fighting there. I wouldn't worry too much about safety---it's not like muggings and robberies happen everyday! ;p In fact, i really can't think of the last robbery or mugging or shooting or anything that happened downtown. DTO lives downtown, and he's still ok. 
Go Cubs Go
-
DTO Luv
- City Council
- Posts: 9644
- Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 9:22 pm
Another moving to omaha-please crarify if myths
Of course DTO is a 6'7" man so I'm not as concerned about safety as a single woman would be.
To answer your questions, you've been fed a lot of |expletive| from people who don't know any better. I can't think of any place Downtown that doesn't have garage parking, security cameras, and controlled access. That's standard everywhere.
Also Downtown is probably one of the safest places in the city. There are always people around so muggings and break ins are extremely rare. I'd almost even argue to the point of non-existent. I live in the SW part of Downtown and it's not unsafe, but it looks more like it than the Old Market, but we have many single women that live in my building that walk around the neighborhood by themselves and they are fine. Like I said pretty much no matter where you're at, there's always other people around.
To answer your questions, you've been fed a lot of |expletive| from people who don't know any better. I can't think of any place Downtown that doesn't have garage parking, security cameras, and controlled access. That's standard everywhere.
Also Downtown is probably one of the safest places in the city. There are always people around so muggings and break ins are extremely rare. I'd almost even argue to the point of non-existent. I live in the SW part of Downtown and it's not unsafe, but it looks more like it than the Old Market, but we have many single women that live in my building that walk around the neighborhood by themselves and they are fine. Like I said pretty much no matter where you're at, there's always other people around.
DTO
-
justnick
- Human Relations
- Posts: 892
- Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:47 pm
- Location: Downtown
Another moving to omaha-please crarify if myths
Amen.DTO Luv wrote:To answer your questions, you've been fed a lot of |expletive| from people who don't know any better.
-
almighty_tuna
- City Council
- Posts: 106389
- Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2004 6:34 pm
- Location: Somewhere between downtown and Colorado
Another moving to omaha-please crarify if myths
A close friend also attended Creighton Med while living downtown. He got an place at Conant Apts and was really happy with it. Safe place, easy to get to Creighton AND off-street parking!
-
Big E
- City Council
- Posts: 8179
- Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2005 5:12 pm
Another moving to omaha-please crarify if myths
I would highly recommend the Old Market Lofts, with the caveat that there are a LOT of Creighton undergrad trust-fund babies using it as a very expensive dorm. If you aren't stuck next to someone that likes to throw after hours parties, it is quite nice. I'd make that a stipulation of any lease you sign.
And to confirm what DTO said, downtown is very, very safe. Frankly, there's only one "dangerous" part of Omaha, and it's about a three block radius of one project in north Omaha. Aside from that, downtown crime statistics are pretty much on par with any suburb per capita. If you're not looking for trouble you're not going to find it. Omaha simply isn't pedestrian enough for random street violence.
Be sure to ask the people telling you downtown isn't safe the following: where they live, how often they get downtown, and what exactly they consider "downtown". You'll find 95% of them are making up the danger factor.
BTW, we would all be more than happy to answer more specific questions, so ask away.
And to confirm what DTO said, downtown is very, very safe. Frankly, there's only one "dangerous" part of Omaha, and it's about a three block radius of one project in north Omaha. Aside from that, downtown crime statistics are pretty much on par with any suburb per capita. If you're not looking for trouble you're not going to find it. Omaha simply isn't pedestrian enough for random street violence.
Be sure to ask the people telling you downtown isn't safe the following: where they live, how often they get downtown, and what exactly they consider "downtown". You'll find 95% of them are making up the danger factor.
BTW, we would all be more than happy to answer more specific questions, so ask away.
Stable genius.
-
thenewguy
- County Board
- Posts: 4356
- Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:50 am
- Location: Council Bluffs
Another moving to omaha-please crarify if myths
you're 6'7"...how big is Big E? I thought you posted a picture once that had you, Big E and Mrs. Big E, and he was taller. That'd make him like 7'2", or like Micheal Jordan standing next to ShaqDTO Luv wrote:Of course DTO is a 6'7" man so I'm not as concerned about safety as a single woman would be.
To answer your questions, you've been fed a lot of |expletive| from people who don't know any better. I can't think of any place Downtown that doesn't have garage parking, security cameras, and controlled access. That's standard everywhere.
Also Downtown is probably one of the safest places in the city. There are always people around so muggings and break ins are extremely rare. I'd almost even argue to the point of non-existent. I live in the SW part of Downtown and it's not unsafe, but it looks more like it than the Old Market, but we have many single women that live in my building that walk around the neighborhood by themselves and they are fine. Like I said pretty much no matter where you're at, there's always other people around.
Go Cubs Go
-
DTO Luv
- City Council
- Posts: 9644
- Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 9:22 pm
Another moving to omaha-please crarify if myths
I know the pic you're thinking of. I'm sitting at a bar stool in that one. I guess Big E is about 6'2"-3". But yes, I'm quite tall.
DTO
-
Big E
- City Council
- Posts: 8179
- Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2005 5:12 pm
Another moving to omaha-please crarify if myths
I'm about 6'1". The extra chins make me look taller.
Stable genius.
-
SabrinaFaire
- Home Owners Association
- Posts: 188
- Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2008 3:20 pm
- Location: NW Omaha
Another moving to omaha-please crarify if myths
Most of the news crime reports I see are not out of downtown. And as far as the car break-ins I would be dollars to donuts that most of those people left something out where thieves could see it (GPS device, iPod, cell phone, etc.) I will also say that if you've lived in Chicago then it wouldn't be too difficult to live out west (if you really want to) and commute in. Traffic is NOTHING like it is in Chicago. Even a bad day in Omaha is better than an average Chicago commute. Unless it snows, but that's a whole other topic.
-
Bobcat
- Home Owners Association
- Posts: 154
- Joined: Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:34 pm
- Location: Downtown Omaha
Another moving to omaha-please crarify if myths
Living downtown is safe. My recommendation is to rent out a brand new condominium. The condo market in downtown Omaha is flooded with expensive condos for sale and rent. Some investors snapped up condos to rent out over the last few years. Most projects contain a private, secure parking garage. Once your inside, it's as simple as taking the elevator to your floor. Check craigslist. A few projects to recommend: Beebe and Runyan, Riverfront, 1101 Jackson, Paxton and I think JLofts is coming on soon too. Good luck! Live downtown, you won't regret it.
-
bargainhunter
- Library Board
- Posts: 256
- Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:58 am
- Location: CB
Another moving to omaha-please crarify if myths
I would have to first dispel the rumor that just because you are from Iowa means you don't do the club scene. FALSE. Just because you are from Iowa doesn't equal sitting home with your 25 cats in front of the TV. Ok, now that that's cleared up.....
Council Bluffs would also be a great option for you to live. Almost anywhere in CB is an VERY easy commute to Creighton. I live on the far east side of CB & it takes less than 15 to get to Creighton campus.
Council Bluffs would also be a great option for you to live. Almost anywhere in CB is an VERY easy commute to Creighton. I live on the far east side of CB & it takes less than 15 to get to Creighton campus.
-
vksk
- New to the Neighborhood
- Posts: 2
- Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:22 am
- Location: Omaha - ??
Another moving to omaha-please crarify if myths
Thank you all for dispelling those myths as I suspected they were. I came to Omaha and drove around downtown and the surrounding areas. There is a new building called the Renata that I particularly liked in the downtown area it even has move in specials as they are trying to rent out all the units now. I also saw that driving in Omaha isn't bad at all and driving 20 min in the morning wouldn't be as stressful as say in Chicago where if there was barely a length of a car distance anywhere on the highway people would be changing lanes into it. I liked some of the richdale properties on Blondo. Ultimately now my fear of commute is dispelled and my fear of safety. So now its down to size of apartment and whats nearby,...
Thanks again everyone
Thanks again everyone
-
Midtown Gal
- Home Owners Association
- Posts: 199
- Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:58 pm
- Location: Midtown Omaha
Another moving to omaha-please crarify if myths
Stay away from Richdale properties! They don't take care of their properties, trust me I know. And the leasing agents are incompetent and not very helpful.[/i]
-
guitarguy
- Parks & Recreation
- Posts: 1296
- Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:39 am
Another moving to omaha-please crarify if myths
i can see vanderbilt, lions head, and kensington heights not being taken care of but the biltmore seems like its very well taken care of and if im not mistaken was voted the cities best apartment complex for the last 2-3 years in a row .. could be longer but thats as long as i can remember.
-adam
-adam